Garganacl Series 1 Doubles Team

Hi, I need help forming a team for the Series 1 Doubles format. This is my first time playing doubles, let alone a VGC format. Here is my team for the format so far:

Garganacl (Rock Titan) @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Level: 50
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Recover
- Salt Cure

From the viable Pokémon that are available in the format, the sweepers are mostly physical attackers, such as Tyranitar, Garchomp, Gyarados, Azumarill, Scizor, Dragonite and Annihilape. Therefore, a physical wall would be best to hold them off, so I believe Garganacl would be a perfect job for the role.
Granted I chose him because it looks like to be my Gen 9 fav, but there are a lot of things that are going for the Rock Titan. With buffs in Iron Defense, it would be able to take a lot of physical hits and can take even one supereffective hit if necessary. It can heal with Recover and can use Salt Cure to punish switch ins like Gyarados, Azumarill and Dondozo. Plus, it's a setup mon that isn't scared of Amonguss Spore.
I chose Tera Type Water becauase I think it's a good defensive type to resist Scizor's Bullet Punch and Gyarados Waterfall.
Granted, a downside is that Garganacl has a poor special defense so it can't take special hits well. It also can't deal damage well against resists such as Gyarados and Azumarill with Body Press.

Gastrodon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Yawn / Clear Smog

Gastrodon is a Pokémon that can use Storm Drain to nullfiy water attacks that can threaten Garaganacl, which could also allow it to handle Palafin, Gyarados and Dondonzo. It being a special attacker means that it doesn't suffer too greatly against Will-O-Wisp, whilst also be able to handle phyiscal walls and take physical attacks decently. It has healing in the form of Recover, and chilling water can help bring down physical attackers. Earth Power can be used to handle fire types, whereas Ice Beam is used for Grass Gargancl and Dragons. Yawn can be used to prevent opposing mons from setting up, whereas Clear Smog can be used to erase the mon's stat changes (like Gyarados and Tyranitar's Dragon Dance). I don't know which of the two options are better.

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spirit Break
- Parting Shot

Grimmsnarl sets up Light and Reflect to increases the team's defenses, and Sprit Break can deal at least decent damage to Gyarados and Tyranitar. Parting Shot lowers the opposing pokemon stats so that it would be easier for the Rock Titan to boost its defenses and sweep. Spirit Break can also lower the special attack of switch-in Goldengho.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Snarl
- Protect

Tyranitar is a necessary crux of the team, as I believe that weather is also a necessary factor to consider in this meta. Snarl + Thunder Wave are to help Tyranitar hamper the offensive presence of the opposing team, and Rock Slide can be used to deal spread damage with a chance of flinching. Protect can be also used to ensure that Tyranitar can still be kept in shape to summon sand again if threatened by other weather setters.

Arcanine @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Flare Blitz

Setting aside the fact I love the dog, I believe Arcanine can be a great asset to the team. It has snarl to wear down special attacks that can threaten the Rock Titan, and Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers, which is mostly all attackers in the format (except Gholdengo). Flare Blitz can be used to deal with Grass Types. Safety Goggles is used to block Amoonguss spread is used to maximise it's bulk whilst still being a fast doggo. The reason why I am still keeping Arcanine even though I have Tyranitar, is because Arcanine has Will-o-Wisp and can 1v1 Scizor.

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Brave Bird
- Iron Defense
- Roost

Last member of the team. It functions almost like Garagancl, except it uses its Pressure ability to dissuade mons from setting up and wearing down physical attacks from opposing mons. Rocky Helmet is used to damage physical attackers like Azumarill and Gyarados over time, and Brave Bird can be used against Annilape and Amoonguss. Roost is to keep the Steel bird alive, and Body Press + Iron Defense can deal a lot of damage.

So, this is my first team for the doubles for Series 1. I do realise that there are flaws within the team that can be exploited, such as not able to handle Ice teams effectively, or lack the necessary super effective coverage to handle threats such as Azumarill and Gyarados. I was thinking of Rotom-W as a useful mon to beat Water Types with Thunderbolt, but I don't think I can replace the mon with one of my team members.

If there is any feedback on how I can improve my team, please let me know.

Adamant 252 Spe that better than Jolly 252 Atk. Cause base stats.

I feel mirror armor is almost obligatory on corv, more in doubles.

Same w/ Arcanine, 252 SpD Jolly beats 252 Spe careful. Nature should be on highest stat, if you're gonna invest otherwise/as well.

Do you have water and gastro's Tera on cart? I have lots of shards and can help. I always offer in case someone needs it AND has something for me. More certain tms or patches than any Mon.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, Omastar68.
I do have some more questions.

I am concerned that my team doesn't have any special type strikers. I have Gastrodon, but its special attack is not that great. This might be a problem when there might be threats that can hamper my physical prowress, like bulky walls such as Gargancl or intimidate users like Arcanine or Salamence.

Also, I have been looking up Gargancl's popular builds, and the most popular type is Tera Grass. Is there an advantage of having the Rock Titan having a Grass Tera rather than Water Tera? Wouldn't it then be weak to Torkoal's Eruption or Fire Blast/Flamethrower from the Dragons?

Thanks,
Krock

Thanks for your response, Omastar68.
I do have some more questions.

I am concerned that my team doesn't have any special type strikers. I have Gastrodon, but its special attack is not that great. This might be a problem when there might be threats that can hamper my physical prowress, like bulky walls such as Gargancl or intimidate users like Arcanine or Salamence.

Also, I have been looking up Gargancl's popular builds, and the most popular type is Tera Grass. Is there an advantage of having the Rock Titan having a Grass Tera rather than Water Tera? Wouldn't it then be weak to Torkoal's Eruption or Fire Blast/Flamethrower from the Dragons?

Thanks,
Krock
Maybe replace corv, it does a lot of what Garganacl does, and there's no special.

Uh, idk the Tera. Grass resists ground, water, grass for rock, so that's good. The myriad of weaknesses sucks, water is therefore fine. I've never used Garganacl, nor seen it max. So I might not know much. Either way it should depend on your team. I guess I like grass for you.

Hi, I just made some small revisions to my team: https://pokepast.es/7106e8370c9ecbcd
The changes I made are:
Changed Arcanine's nature from Careful to Jolly
Changed Gastrodon's Yawn to Clear Smog to take care of Dondozo and other set-up sweepers
Swapped Corviknight with Amoonguss to sleep sweepers and to heal teammates, Clear Smog to also sleep teammates.

Please let me know what you think of these changes.

Thanks,
Krock

Hi, I just made some small revisions to my team: https://pokepast.es/7106e8370c9ecbcd
The changes I made are:
Changed Arcanine's nature from Careful to Jolly
Changed Gastrodon's Yawn to Clear Smog to take care of Dondozo and other set-up sweepers
Swapped Corviknight with Amoonguss to sleep sweepers and to heal teammates, Clear Smog to also sleep teammates.

Please let me know what you think of these changes.

Thanks,
Krock
Gentle Garg!? Forget SpD anyway, you need stronger body Press. I guess it always was gentle, brain filtered that out before, too incomprehensible xd. Amoongus could be offensive, maybe, but use a STAB stronger than clear smog. Or go defensive on one side or the other. Otherwise fine as far as I know.

I agree max Spe Arcanine, assign tinkaton is at all common. Probably, i can see gigaton hammer on either side of protects here.

Gentle Garg!? Forget SpD anyway, you need stronger body Press. I guess it always was gentle, brain filtered that out before, too incomprehensible xd. Amoongus could be offensive, maybe, but use a STAB stronger than clear smog. Or go defensive on one side or the other. Otherwise fine as far as I know.

I agree max Spe Arcanine, assign tinkaton is at all common. Probably, i can see gigaton hammer on either side of protects here.
Actually you're right, it makes more sense for Gargancl to have Impish rather than Gentle to boost damage from Iron Defense. As for Amoonguss, I planned to make it a defensive mon (unless I need to make it offensive specifically for this team). I also meant for Amoonguss to have 252 HP and 252 Def.

Also, just a few questions:
1. Just to clarify, when you said "assign tinkaton is common", does it mean that tinkaton usage is common?
2. What is the common meta in the Series 1 doubles? I know this is too late for me to ask, since I just made a team and had to revise it over the next few days, but I thought I should have at least the knowledge about it.
3. Should I invest all of the evs in Hp and Defense, rather than Hp and Special Defense?

Actually you're right, it makes more sense for Gargancl to have Impish rather than Gentle to boost damage from Iron Defense. As for Amoonguss, I planned to make it a defensive mon (unless I need to make it offensive specifically for this team). I also meant for Amoonguss to have 252 HP and 252 Def.

Also, just a few questions:
1. Just to clarify, when you said "assign tinkaton is common", does it mean that tinkaton usage is common?
2. What is the common meta in the Series 1 doubles? I know this is too late for me to ask, since I just made a team and had to revise it over the next few days, but I thought I should have at least the knowledge about it.
3. Should I invest all of the evs in Hp and Defense, rather than Hp and Special Defense?
Assuming* idk, but if it is you're good there. Otherwise lower Spe.

No idea I actually just do singles lol.

Traditionally yeah, for amoongus. Now I'm sure you COULD get away woth a SpD set.

Would a good set for Amoonguss and Gargancl be as follows:

Amoonguss @ Occa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Pollen Puff
- Clear Smog

Tera Type: Grass
Gentle Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Recover
- Salt Cure

For Amoonguss, the reason why I invested in defense EVs is because a lot of sweepers are physical threats. The only viable special attackers are Gholdengo and Amarogue, who both beat Amoonguss.
Or do you want me to invest in Amoonguss special defense because of a lack of a good special wall?

Edit: Sorry, I meant Impish, not Gentle.
I really need to proofread my work.

Last edited:
Would a good set for Amoonguss and Gargancl be as follows:

Amoonguss @ Occa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Pollen Puff
- Clear Smog

Tera Type: Grass
Gentle Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Recover
- Salt Cure

For Amoonguss, the reason why I invested in defense EVs is because a lot of sweepers are physical threats. The only viable special attackers are Gholdengo and Amarogue, who both beat Amoonguss.
Or do you want me to invest in Amoonguss special defense because of a lack of a good special wall?
No it's fine. But please stop using gentle, Garganacl or anything really. Only Goodra, maybe, can make a case for gentle.

Hi,

I need some help.

I recently played a match using the team I created. Whilst I did win the match, I felt unsatisfied because of the fact that I almost lost and I realised i had no reliable counters for some mons like Tera-Ground Garchomp.
I was wondering if it was either my team or because of my poor decisions on the battle. In this case, I think it's both.
The recording and my team is in the Zip folder called "Replays"
Let me know on how I can improve.

Attachments

Hi,

I need some help.

I recently played a match using the team I created. Whilst I did win the match, I felt unsatisfied because of the fact that I almost lost and I realised i had no reliable counters for some mons like Tera-Ground Garchomp.
I was wondering if it was either my team or because of my poor decisions on the battle. In this case, I think it's both.
The recording and my team is in the Zip folder called "Replays"
Let me know on how I can improve.
It didn't work for me. Is the team the same? It might be worth it to run chilling water on Gastro, better for chomp if it's not 4x weak to ice, you lower Atk. I feel like Corviknight is pretty reliable there though. Unless it's maybe mixed Chomp with flamethrower/blast, but that should be rare. Flying Tera Garganacl is an option.

It didn't work for me. Is the team the same? It might be worth it to run chilling water on Gastro, better for chomp if it's not 4x weak to ice, you lower Atk. I feel like Corviknight is pretty reliable there though. Unless it's maybe mixed Chomp with flamethrower/blast, but that should be rare. Flying Tera Garganacl is an option.
Yes, the team is the same. Here's the team that I used: https://pokepast.es/f329e779ec77f119

I thought Corviknight might be a good option as well, considering it can be another good physical wall with the following set:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Roost
- Taunt / Brave Bird

Plus Corviknight is the only mon that is immune to Ground type attacks. It might be a secondary Garganacl.

I was looking at my team, and I realise that it has a lot of weaknesses. Half of my team is weak to Ground, Steel, Water and Grass.
I was thinking to replace Corviknight with Tyranitar, since Tyranitar might be a liability for the team. Arcanine would still be needed as it's my only mon to deal with Grass and Steel Types.

Also, I was able to access the files in the Zip folder. What was the error that you received?

Just says 'cant open file.' indeed with those weaknesses TTar fits poorly.

A levitating steel does take all 4 weaknesses, so I like Corv for you. Otherwise you could do steel Tera on a non with the ability levitate, though electric makes more sense if neutrality is ok.

Hi
Sorry to respond late, but I thought of a better substitute for Tyranitar. What about Rotom-Wash, with this moveset:

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Modest Nature
Tera Type: Electric / Water / Ice (Unsure which one to pick)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp

The reason why I chose this mon is because it has levitate, making it immune to Garchomp's Earthquake. Plus, with Nasty Plot + Hydro Pump, it can actually deal heavy damage:

• +2 228+ SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 198-234 (108.1 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • +2 228+ SpA Rotom-Wash Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gholdengo: 154-183 (95 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
    • +2 228+ SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gholdengo: 189-223 (116.6 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • +2 228+ SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Kingambit: 198-234 (95.6 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt are self-explanatory, to take advantage of its stabs.
Nasty Plot is used to maximise Rotom-Wash's power even more, which can kill even bulky mons as seen above.
The fourth move is Will-O-Wisp. The reason is because that as bulky as Rotom-Wash is, it can't handle attacks on a long battle (Palafin-Hero's Wave Crash, Tyranitar's Sand Stream and Rock Slide, Azumarill's Play Rough). Hence why I gave it Will-O-Wisp. When these pokemon switch in, their pokemon's attack will be halved thanks to burn, and Rotom-Wash can take physical hits better. Even special attackers or resists like Amoonguss or Meowscarda do not want to be burnt.

The EVs are there to maxise Rotom-Wash to OHKO netural targets whilst the defense is there to ensure Rotom-Wash can take at least a strong neutral hit. I chose Modest over Timid because Rotom-Wash doesn't outspeed many mons in the meta, and the ones that Rotom-Wash does outspeed (Gyarados, Armarouge) run max speed, so Rotom-Wash can't even outspeed them.

That being said, Rotom-Wash can switch Will-O-Wisp for Tera Blast (if it chose to run Ice). Rotom-Wash can use Tera Blast ice when Teralistised to deal unsuspecting switch-ins (Grass Garganacl, Amoonguss (when using Rage Powder), Salamence, Dragonite).

Tera Electric can be used so Rotom-Wash can have no immunities whilst powering up its Thunderbolt, whilst Tera Water can be used to power up its Hydro Pump.

I was planning to replace it with Corviknight. I think Gastrodon is needed for redirection of water attacks like Surf and Muddy Water and from opposing waters (e.g Gyarados, Azumarill, Palafin-Hero).

Please let me know what you think.

I'm confused, are you replacing ttar or corv? It looks fine, generally electric Tera best.

I would get input on Nasty plot, rotom can't always set up, say on lum chomp.

I'm confused, are you replacing ttar or corv? It looks fine, generally electric Tera best.

I would get input on Nasty plot, rotom can't always set up, say on lum chomp.
Sorry for the confusion.
Originally, I was going to replace Tyranitar with Corviknight to have a Pokémon immune to ground and also reduce the number of weaknesses that my team is weak to.

Now I'm thinking instead of Corviknight replacing Tyranitar, I was thinking of having Rotom-W replacing Tyranitar instead, since I realised I lack offensive prowress.

Regarding lum chomp, could you explain on how it would beat Rotom-W?
Should I replace Nasty Plot with Protect for better longetivty?

Well, you would normally wisp but it wouldn't take, cause the berry would heal it. If you go for NP I imagine you're 2hkod.

Protect does not make sense in Singles, pretty much always.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)