Fun in the Sun: Sun in the Dream World Metagame

Recently, I've delved into Sun teams and I'm slowly growing more fond of them. I made quite a successful sun team based around an underrated threat in Dream World; Lilligant. The team itself has been doing really well. It's shocking to me how few people prepare for Lilligant, or Chlorophyll sweepers in general. Sleep Powder is a great addition to it's arsenal, with sleep turns being reset on switching out in 5th Generation and phazing support from Specially Defensive Heatran I can almost ensure that Pokemon will stay asleep long enough for me to deal with it. I am currently undecided on what the best Hidden Power is, I have tried Rock, Ice, Fire and Ground and ironically all of them leave me helpless against something else. Healing Wish is really nice though, with Chlorophyll boosting Lilligant's speed to sky high levels it means I can get a fast Healing Wish off fast before my opponent attacks me to pass over to a wounded team mate. Overall, Lilligant is a really fun mon to play around with, which epitomizes the playstyle of Sun and how enjoyable it can be taking down some of the most bog standard Sandstorm teams with Sun.

I've also been using Lilligant in combination with Substitute Dragon Dance Dragonite, and it's really good with Rapid Spin support.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Substitute

One of Dragonite's setbacks is it's weakness to Ice type moves, which when using with Heatran and Ninetales, it works really well. While Dragonite may be lacking the speed of the Lati@s or Garchomp, it more than makes up for it with it's decent natural bulk. As long as you can keep Stealth Rock off your side of the field, Dragonite can easily find itself a free Substitute. From here it's ever so easy to Dragon Dance / Roost to beat a lot of defensive threats that try to status you. Once you get low on health, simply Roost back up to Multiscale range and repeat. It's incredibly effective, given the stereotypically frail archetype that Sun gives off to a lot of people. The standard Calm Mind Keldeo for example, fails to break Dragonite's Substitute with Multiscale while Dragonite can keep setting up, it's so much fun, try it! This set here helps me against Rain Teams. Like I previously mentioned, Keldeo fails to do a whole lot to Dragonite, with the Speed investment Dragonite can outspeed mons hovering around base 110 speed such as Starmie and Thundurus after a Dragon Dance, both commonly run with Rain Teams.

Sun as a whole is a playstyle that I see adapting really quickly. It seems more Sun teams now are a lot more prepared to deal with the incredibly common Sandstorm teams, with Sunny Day / Will-O-Wisp Ninetales and various other Sunny Day mons. It's becoming clear that Sun is definitely a big threat in Dream World and all teams should be prepared for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)