Metagame Full Potential

kenn

Prince of the Halidom
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
approved by in the hills and drampa's grandpa
fpbanner.png

Banner by the amazing KaenSoul

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if a Pokemon with lackluster attacking stats was able to take down their opponent based on pure power? This metagame aims to do just that. In this metagame, every Pokemon uses their highest calculated stat as their attacking stat.

Council
:turtwig: kenn
:poliwhirl: ponchlake
:dewott: KaenSoul
:avalugg: Gimlaf
:iron treads: Ataki

Rules:
Mechanic: A Pokemon's highest calculated stat is now used when calculating their attacks.
Clauses: Standard OMs, Evasion Clause, Sleep Moves Clause, Terastal Clause
Bans:

Pokémon

:Koraidon:Koraidon
:Miraidon:Miraidon
:dragapult: Dragapult
:scream tail: Scream Tail
:iron bundle: Iron Bundle
:arceus:Arceus
:calyrex-shadow:Calyrex-Shadow
:calyrex-ice:Calyrex-Ice
:deoxys:Deoxys
:deoxys-attack:Deoxys-Attack
:deoxys-defense:Deoxys-Defense
:deoxys-speed:Deoxys-Speed
:dialga:Dialga
:dialga-origin:Dialga-Origin
:eternatus:Eternatus
:giratina:Giratina
:giratina-origin:Giratina-Origin
:goodra-hisui:Goodra-Hisui
:groudon:Groudon
:ho-oh:Ho-Oh
:kyogre:Kyogre
:kyurem-black:Kyurem-Black
:kyurem-white: Kyurem-White
:lugia:Lugia
:lunala:Lunala
:mewtwo:Mewtwo
:necrozma dawn wings:Necrozma-Dawn-Wings
:necrozma dusk mane:Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
:palkia:Palkia
:palkia-origin:Palkia-Origin
:rayquaza:Rayquaza
:regieleki:Regieleki
:shaymin-sky:Shaymin-Sky
:solgaleo:Solgaleo
:spectrier:Spectrier
:zacian:Zacian
:zacian-crowned:Zacian-Crowned
:zamazenta:Zamazenta
:zamazenta-crowned:Zamazenta-Crowned
:Zekrom:Zekrom
Abilities
  • :diglett:Arena Trap
  • :torkoal:Drought
  • :snorunt:Moody
  • :gothita:Shadow Tag
  • :x speed: Speed Boost
  • :x-speed: Unburden
  • :x-speed: Weather-based Speed boosting abilities (Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, Slush Rush, Sand Rush)
Moves
  • :eevee:Baton Pass
  • :cyclizar: Shed Tail
  • :wattrel:Tailwind

Items
  • :booster energy: Booster Energy
  • :choice scarf: Choice Scarf
  • :kings-rock: King's Rock
  • :heat rock: Heat Rock
  • :razor fang: Razor Fang

Strategy:
The goal of this metagame is to allow any passive or defensive Pokemon the ability to use their defensive stats as their offensive stats. This metagame is bound to be more offensively-inclined as a Pokemon with high defenses can now compete offensively with a Pokemon that has high offensive stats while still being able to tank hits as needed.

Q&A:
Q: Will moves that boosts defenses or Speed, such as Amnesia, Iron Defense or Agility, boost the power of attacks coming off of that stat?
A: Yes.

Q: What happens if a Pokemon happens to boost a different stat other than their highest calculated stat and bypass said stat once boosted?
A: The Pokemon will now use its new HCS (Highest Calculated Stat) to calculate the damage.

Q: Is HP included in the calculation of a Pokemon's HCS?
A: No. This is due to the way HP scales and the fact that Pokemon with a HP stat that is higher than the rest of their stats, even invested, would have to deal with a Water Spout-like effect on all their attacks, making them unreliable, and most likely unviable, in the metagame.

Q: Where is this playable?
A: On the main server under "Challengeable OMs"

Q: How do moves that lower stats work in Full Potential?
A: They will still lower the stats included in the moves as changing that would be changing the move's coding in a sense so therefore moves like Draco Meteor and Superpower, if not using a Pokemon's Special Attack or Attack / Defense stats respectively, become very powerful nukes

Q: What does the Burn status do in Full Potential?
A: Burn halves the base power of physical moves, so those moves will still do half damage, even if they come off of another stat such as Defense or Speed.

Q: How does Tailwind work?
A: Tailwind doubles you and your allies' Speed, meaning it doubles your damage if Speed is your HCS after Tailwind is taken into account essentially working as a +2

Q: How does Unaware work?
A: Unaware WILL ignore boosts to damage coming from the opposing Pokemon's Defense, Special Defense, or Speed. (This is an update from Gen 7 where it didn't)
Examples:
:tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stone Edge
- Dark Pulse
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
:Talonflame:Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Agility / U-turn
Watchlist:
Nothing currently!

Attachments

Last edited:

kenn

Prince of the Halidom
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
(all in alphabetical order)

High

:goodra: Goodra
:iron treads: Iron Treads
:meowscarada: Meowscarada
:sylveon: Sylveon
:talonflame: Talonflame
:tinkaton: Tinkaton
:toxapex: Toxapex
:tyranitar: Tyranitar

Mid

:avalugg: Avalugg
:barraskewda: Barraskewda
:bisharp: Bisharp
:blissey: Blissey
:chansey: Chansey
:cloyster: Cloyster
:dragonite: Dragonite
:electrode: Electrode
:garganacl: Garganacl
:iron valiant: Iron Valiant
:jolteon: Jolteon
:noivern: Noivern
:ting lu: Ting-Lu

Low

:bronzong: Bronzong
:coalossal: Coalossal
:corviknight: Corviknight
:dragalge: Dragalge
:forretress: Forretress
:kingambit: Kingambit
:orthworm: Orthworm
:pincurchin: Pincurchin
:roaring moon: Roaring Moon
:slowbro: Slowbro
:slowking: Slowking
:toedscruel: Toedscruel

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
As the idiot who approved this without Dragapult banned and even suggested we not ban Koraidon and Miraidon I wanted to say I've done some thinking and theorymonning about this metagame and come to a conclusion.

I still think what I said in submissions is true, and my logic holds. Dragapult is more broken than Koraidon and Miraidon.
HOWEVER
Koraidon and Miraidon are still broken and deserve their quickban. Which means that, when asked for advice, I think I should have pushed just a little harder on the Dragapult ban.

:sv/dragapult:
Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Shadow Ball
- Dragon Darts / Fire Blast / Tera Blast

Dragapult @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fighting / Dragon / Ghost
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Dragon Darts / Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute / Fire Blast / Tera Blast

This stupid ghost has some of the most potent tools this meta can donate.
The most obvious is its base 142 Speed tier, putting it, at base, above everything released except Electrode, which just doesn't have the same offensive or defensive typing or depth of movepool Dragapult has. This is a huge boon in any metagame, but especially in Full Potential where your Speed can also be your power.
Second is Dragapult's movepool. Draco Meteor is an absurd move when you can click it without lowering the applicable attacking stat. Agility is also essentially the equivalent of a drawbackless Shell Smash on Dragapult (or any Pokemon that uses Speed bluntly). Dragon Darts is also an excellent move to hit Tyranitar or Chansey, because they kind of stonewall you without something physical.
252+ Spe Choice Scarf Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 373-439 (109.3 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
for reference

Now for some theorymon sets!
:ss/avalugg:
Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Ground / Steel / IDC make it fit your team
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin / Iron Defense
- Recover

Wow I'm creative. This set is going to be rather problematic to use because it's so frail on the special side and there is a lot of reason to use mixed attackers in this meta (you know, for when people use mons like this). But damn if he don't hit hard and wall physical stuff hard.

:ss/tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Rock Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

The standard Tyranitank. This is, I believe, still the fattest special think in one turn, and certainly the highest functional Special Defense. Hitting 738 SpD/Attacking stat in Sand this thing has a huge movepool to choose from, I just listed some of the most common options. Hopefully this Pokemon will be able to keep both Dragapult and the next Pokemon I'm talking about in check.

:sv/espathra:
Espathra @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Lumina Crash
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

This mon may seem like a meme given its atrocious bulk but I'm willing to bet it will be a top threat. Speed Boost is not to be underestimated in this tier, and Lumina Crash combined with rapidly escalating power make this Pokemon nearly impossible to wall without cutting it off early. Admittedly beating it early will be... not terribly difficult compared to many others but... we'll see.

And finally I do have some mechanical questions:
  • How does Tera Blast work in deciding whether it should be Physical or Special if it isn't using Attack or Special Attack? Just whichever of those two is higher?
  • Q: What happens if a Pokemon happens to boost a different stat other than their highest calculated stat and bypass said stat once boosted?
    A: The Pokemon will now use its new HCS (Highest Calculated Stat) to calculate the damage.
    Are the boosts from Protosynthesis and Quark Drive included in this? They seem to act differently than other boosts.
  • Did I forget to post this for like 6 hours? Yes. Yes I did.

Last edited:
The meta looks very cool. Here are some sets that i think would be good.

1669136499486.png

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
Tera Type: Dragon
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake/Fire blast
- Power Whip/Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb

438 Sp.Def. with assault vest will make this insanely strong. Draco meteor can be spammed because it doesn't get weaker with every move. Earthquake and Fire blast hit steel types. Power Whip and Thunderbolt kill bulky waters. Lastly Sludge Bomb hits fairy types. It may use some speed invest(or maybe even max speed), but i don't know what will be good so i have put max HP.

1669137050109.png

Iron Valiant @ Choice Scarf/Life Orb
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Moonblast
- Close Combat
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off

Having Moonblast as physical fairy STAB makes it way stronger than the weak Spirit Break. Choice Scarf can be used as a cleaner while life orb is a nice breaker. Trick can be used over Thunderbolt on scarf to cripple walls, Iron Vailant also has access to some cool support options like Destiny Bond and Taunt.

1669137755146.png

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Extreme Speed

This is more of a fun set but Draco Meteor and Flamethrower are a huge improvement over Fire Punch and Dragon Claw/Outrage. You can run Hurricane as your STAB but the accuracy sucks for a mon that wants to sweep.

1669137955822.png

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
Tare Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Ice Punch/Trick

Gengar has access to a stronger poison STAB in Gunk Shot. It also can use the elemental punches now, tho i think other options like Trick and Nasty Plot are usually better than them.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
:ss/scream-tail:
Scream Tail @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Normal / Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Amnesia
- Psychic Fangs
- Dazzling Gleam / Play Rough
- Boomburst / Fire Blast

Well, that explains why Scream Tail is on the watchlist. You basically set up with Amnesia, and blow everything up. Fire Blast may be preferable if you want to hit Steel with it.

ponchlake

cult of personality cult leader
  • How does Tera Blast work in deciding whether it should be Physical or Special if it isn't using Attack or Special Attack? Just whichever of those two is higher?
  • Are the boosts from Protosynthesis and Quark Drive included in this? They seem to act differently than other boosts.
  • Did I forget to post this for like 6 hours? Yes. Yes I did.
We'll have these tested whenever we get a challenge code up and running. If I were to hazard a guess, 1) Tera Blast would be work normally in that it is treated as a Physical or Special depending on which stat is higher, but during the damage calculation it'd take into account the highest calculated stat for damage. 2) I am inclined to say no as of right now. I'm basing this off of Body Press, which uses Defense for damage calculation, and Quark Drive and Protosynthesis doesn't seem to boost the damage of Body Press from the tests that I ran. It may work differently in Full Potential. Booster Energy is still something we're likely going to watchout for even if they aren't included, as the free boosts could give too much of an edge defensively or in providing extra Speed.

so, this looks like a very fun meta, cant wait to play it! ive already made a few mons that would REALLY like extra attack boosts, like:

Espathra @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Lumina Crash / Psyshock
- Quick Attack
- Dazzling Gleam / Tera Blast Fighting

this set is really cool, since speed boost acts like moxie every turn. it counters what would be checks like sucker punch w/ quick attack, dark types with dgleam or tera fighting and lumina crash is just stupidly op. 80bp stab that lowers your opponents spdef by 2 (ridiculous). all you need to do is get a protect and try to sweep! next up:

Umbreon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
Calm Nature
- Foul Play / Snarl
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

i know this is a samples set, but 130 on both attack stats and the ability to wish pass is really cool to me, the same can be said with sylveon, but idk what set to use, probably body press/hyper voice/quick attack/filler

Iron Treads @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin / Volt Switch
- Iron Defense
- Earthquake
- Body Press

iron treads acts as a body press sweeper that can also hit very hard eqs because of iron defense boost, rapid spin for hazard control and you can even remove one of the moves (preferably rapid spin) for volt switch so it can act as a pivot. also, stealth rock, but i decided not to put it in this set. basically it can run anything it wants in this metagame.

Iron Bundle @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Flip Turn
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Play Rough / Taunt / Protect

hopefully this guy is gonna be banned because being able to run its crazy hydro pump/freeze dry set that got it banned in the first place, ALSO being a pivot with flip turn and having litreally any filler move it wants is crazy.

Clodsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware / Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Recover / Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes

kind of a meme set this one, just put what would probably be its best moves if someone dares to run it lol.

and thats all! i hope everyone has fun with this om! (if it even is in omotm)

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
A few theorymon I'm liking the look of.

Baxcalibur @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Thermal Exchange
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Off of it's physical attack, Ice Beam and Draco Meteor directly out class Baxcalibur's normal STAB moves. Thermal Exchange keeps burn spreaders from impeding it's set-up while also potentially boosting your attack even more. Ice/Dragon is good offensive coverage, and Earthquake smacks the Steels that resist the combination. Corv is a problem, but Bax should have no problem beating it after a few boosts, if you're lucky enough to get them.

Bisharp @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Air Slash
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance / Stealth Rock

Eviolite gives Bisharp a starting offensive stat of 492, with the option to boost to a slightly stronger 572, and the bulk to do this reliably. If you're fine without set-up, Bisharp can instead be your Stealth Rocker. Iron Head is preferable to Flash Cannon since you outspeed many defensive pokemon with no investment. Sucker Punch allows your the priority to bypass your otherwise middling speed, and Air Slash provides general coverage, though Focus Blast can be used instead.

Torkoal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drought
Impish Nature
- Eruption
- Will-O-Wisp
- Body Press / Rapid Spin
- Flamethrower / Rapid Spin / Iron Defense
Eruption off of an offensive stat of 416 means that very little actually switches into this. It takes physical hits very well, and provides crucial support with Rapid Spin. In your fourth slot, you can either run a more reliable secondary STAB move or Iron Defense to boost your Body Press even more once you're low on Eruption juice. Torkoal's greatest trait, however, it how it enables Protosynthesis Pokemon such as Flutter Mane and Scream Tail to boost their highest stats without immediately using their Booster Energy, providing more opportunities for these Pokemon to wreak havoc.

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Stored Power/Giga Drain/Chilling Water
Wish lets you support your teammates, while Calm Mind lets you boost yourself to ludicrous levels of power very quickly. If you prefer bulk over immediate power, an alternative spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with a Bold Nature may be used instead. Moonblast is a consistent STAB option, while Stored Power can accumulate boosts quickly. Alternatively, Giga Drain provides additional recovery, and Chilling Water helps your lackluster physical bulk, while being relatively strong for a move of it's base power.

On another note, is there any consensus on how Body Press and Tera Blast will work?

Last edited:

ponchlake

A few theorymon I'm liking the look of.

Baxcalibur @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Thermal Exchange
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Off of it's physical attack, Ice Beam and Draco Meteor directly out class Baxcalibur's normal STAB moves. Thermal Exchange keeps burn spreaders from impeding it's set-up while also potentially boosting your attack even more. Ice/Dragon is good offensive coverage, and Earthquake smacks the Steels that resist the combination. Corv is a problem, but Bax should have no problem beating it after a few boosts, if you're lucky enough to get them.

Bisharp @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Air Slash
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance / Stealth Rock

Eviolite gives Bisharp a starting offensive stat of 492, with the option to boost to a slightly stronger 572, and the bulk to do this reliably. If you're fine without set-up, Bisharp can instead be your Stealth Rocker. Flash Cannon is preferable to Flash Cannon since you outspeed many defensive pokemon with no investment. Sucker Punch allows your the priority to bypass your otherwise middling speed, and Air Slash provides general coverage, though Focus Blast can be used instead.

Torkoal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drought
Impish Nature
- Eruption
- Will-O-Wisp
- Body Press / Rapid Spin
- Flamethrower / Rapid Spin / Iron Defense
Eruption off of an offensive stat of 416 means that very little actually switches into this. It takes physical hits very well, and provides crucial support with Rapid Spin. In your fourth slot, you can either run a more reliable secondary STAB move or Iron Defense to boost your Body Press even more once you're low on Eruption juice. Torkoal's greatest trait, however, it how it enables Protosynthesis Pokemon such as Flutter Mane and Scream Tail to boost their highest stats without immediately using their Booster Energy, providing more opportunities for these Pokemon to wreak havoc.

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Stored Power/Giga Drain/Chilling Water
Wish lets you support your teammates, while Calm Mind lets you boost yourself to ludicrous levels of power very quickly. If you prefer bulk over immediate power, an alternative spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with a Bold Nature may be used instead. Moonblast is a consistent STAB option, while Stored Power can accumulate boosts quickly. Alternatively, Giga Drain provides additional recovery, and Chilling Water helps your lackluster physical bulk, while being relatively strong for a move of it's base power.

On another note, is there any consensus on how Body Press and Tera Blast will work?
We aren't entirely sure as of right now, as FP hasn't been coded yet for us to test those out. We only have working theories as of right now, but once we get a challenge code up and running, we'll have those tested and added to the FAQ.

Electrode @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Electro Ball
- Agility
- Substitute
- Taunt
Could be good, probably is bad, but he hits hard regardless. This could also be a funy nuke set with scarf and explosion OHKOing most if not everything
Also
Palafin-Hero @ Leftovers
Ability: Zero to Hero
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Boomburst
- Drain Punch
- Jet Punch
- Bulk Up
This seems like a problem

Last edited:
Cool meta!

So, if i understood it correctly

Revavroom @ Leftovers
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Overheat
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt

This thing can use Overheat the way it wants, because it will use it's attack or speed (depends how much Shift Gear boosts it has), right?

Last edited:

Gimmicky

Some more things that have me thinking about the tier; loving the idea a lot, and I'm excited to play it for myself!

Cyclizar @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Shed Tail
- Knock Off
- Taunt
Comes in, taunts the opponent's lead, and shed tails out to support your offensive teammates. Knock Off and Rapid Spin give it additional utility, and allow it to slap physically frail Pokemon around. There's not much to the set, it's Cyclizar.

Cyclizar @ Life Orb / Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Shed Tail
- Agility
- Hyper Voice / Rapid Spin
- Draco Meteor
This Cyclizar trades pure utility for a high damage output, while maintaining the helpful support of Shed Tail and hazard control. Agility is preferred to Shift Gear due to having more PP, as well as reducing potential confusion and Foul Play damage. This set is likely to be more niche, but could have it's place on more offensive team structures.

Meowscarada @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Flower Trick
- Aura Sphere
- Knock Off
Protean was nerfed, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the best abilities in the game, and Meowscarada is an incredible abuser of it. Click U-Turn or Knock Off on anything you outspeed to deal very solid damage. Very good hit-and-run mon that beats non-scarfed Dragapult.

Dragalge @ Leftovers
Ability: Adaptability
Bold Nature
- Acid Armor
- Gunk Shot
- Draco Meteor
- Play Rough / Thunderbolt / Toxic Spikes
With physdef investment, Dragalge's mixed bulk is actually quite solid. Your initial offensive stat of 306 isn't very impressive, but Acid Armor gives you a reliable boosting move that also makes your bulk even more impressive. Alternatively, you can run more SpDef investment for an increase to your original power at the cost of your initial physical bulk.

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
Calm Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Tail
Assault Vest Dragalge trades your boosting potential for very high initial damage output. With an offensive stat of 567, you take special hits very well while dealing your own powerful strikes. Gunk Shot and Draco Meteor are both very powerful moves, at the cost of reliability. Thunderbolt provides coverage to hit bulky waters, and Dragon Tail lets you phase out boosting opponents.

ponchlake

Cool meta!

So, if i understood it correctly

Revavroom @ Leftovers
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Overheat
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt

This thing can use Overheat the way it wants, because it will use it's attack or speed (depends how much Shift Gear boosts it has), right?
You're correct on that. Revavroom's unboosted stats would be 337 Atk and 306 Spd, so without a Shift Gear, Overheat and the rest of your attacks would operate off of the 337 Atk. If you were to get a Shift Gear up, your speed would be 612 and higher than your Atk stat even at +1. Damage calculation would then be used with the Spd stat since it is the highest stat.

hey guys, coming here with another post because i just found one of the most versatile mons in this metagame:

Scream Tail @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stomping Tantrum
- Psychic
- Flamethrower

now, what about scream tail, and why is it so versatile? first of all it can run NUMEROUS SETS, like the one above. having 361 when its 252 ev calm goes on both attacking stats, while still having a great speed tier is very great for it. but thats not the only set, it also has:

Scream Tail @ Choice Scarf
Calm Nature
- Trick
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Stomping Tantrum

trickscarf! classic. it can run more bulk since it outspeeds LO scream tail and also tank a lot of its hits. not only that, it hits almost just as hard as the first set, but with no recoil.

Scream Tail @ Light Clay
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stomping Tantrum / Thunder Wave

this thing can even run SCREENS, wow. im not gonna repeat what i said for the previous 2 sets, since i think you get the point. i also have some honorable mentions:

Scream Tail @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Perish Song / Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

stealth rock suicide lead, i think pretty standard and

Scream Tail @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Stomping Tantrum

calm mind setup sweeper. not only that, on ALL SETS, it can run WHATEVER COVERAGE IT WANTS. depending on your team it might like ice beam over flamethrower, tera blast fairy over dgleam and maybe even psychic. well, thats it! i think scream tail is gonna get more use now, so have fun! this feels like the new lando-t, no joke lmao

Electrode @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Explosion
- Volt Switch
- Taunt
- Electro Ball
a 250BP explosion off a 657 speed stat :3 good luck any non-resists

Toxapex @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Sludge Bomb / Poison Jab
- Surf / Liquidation
both a tank and a damn offensive threat, should be able to pull its weight

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Tailwind / Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn
- Hurricane / Brave Bird
overheat spam

these are just some random sets that came to mind, maybe they'll be good.

Gimmicky

I don't have as much to say about these sets, but I figure if I can't show off these ideas on ladder (maybe next month </3), might as well show them off here

Espathra @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Tera Type: Fairy / Fighting
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam / Tera Blast
Pair this with Cyclizar. Shed Tail into Calm Mind into Protect, and you're suddenly threatening things scarily fast. Stored Power is boosted by Speed Boost, which boosts the Speed stat that Stored Power utilizes. Calm Mind allows you to gather more boosts, potentially even after speed boosting to maximum. Terastalization lets you sponge a Sucker Punch and hit back with a decently strong base 80 STAB move. The snowballing potential is quite real.

Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Boomburst
- Flamethrower
- Roost / U-Turn / Leech Life
haha, boomburst go brr Noivern comes in, smacks something very hard, and leaves again. Or it smacks everything really hard and serves as an excellent cleaner. STAB Boomburst is an incredible move, especially off of 123 Speed. Agility lets you boost your speed to dizzying heights, letting you 2hko even bulky resists. Flamethrower carves through the Steel Types that otherwise tank an unboosted burst. U-Turn lets you pivot in and out while dealing solid damage. Alternatively, Leech Life can be used for a super effective hit on Tyranitar, while healing yourself at the same time.

252+ Speed Noivern Leech Life vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tyranitar: 170-200 (42.1 - 49.6%)

Dudunsparce @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Boomburst
- Coil
- Fire Blast
This is admittedly worse than Noivern on most teams. However, the fact that Dudunsparce is viable at all is absolutely hilarious. Boomburst hits stupidly hard, even unboosted. Coil lets you safely upgrade to Fire Blast over Flamethrower, with Serene Grace giving it a 1/5 chance to burn as well. Roost keeps you healthy. In all honesty, this isn't great, but the fact that it's viable at all is great.

Very cool metagame, here's some preliminary sets:

Scream Tail @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Fire / Steel
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Psychic Fangs
- Dazzling Gleam
Scream Tail is really, really good and almost requires you to bring a counter for. Unlike most others in this thread, I've had most success with Assault Vest on Scream Tail. Its natural bulk combines great with it, and because of the way the calculation works, you get a massive bonus to attack. You can use the additional attack slot on whatever you like, ST has a great movepool, but personally I like Ice Beam for Toedscruel. Fire Tera Type for Fire STAB, or Steel defensively.

Cloyster @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
Tera Type: Rock / Ground
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Drill Run
- Surf
I'm surprised to not see a single mention of Cloyster here, it's insane Defense stat allows it to capitalize hard on the metagame. With Choice Scarf, you can outspeed a fair number of opponents and put a real dent into anything not naturally bulky. Surf is largely present for coverage and to catch opponents off-guard. Rock Tera Typefor Rock Blast STAB, though going pure Water, Ground or Ghost as defensive options is also fine.

Toedscruel @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mycelium Might
Tera Type: Steel
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon / Knock Off
- Earth Power
- Leaf Storm / Power Whip
- Sludge Bomb
Even with Spore being banned, Toedscruel is absolutely a force to be reckoned with. In fact, not being able to run Spore means we can also run Assault Vest and get the delicious extra stats. It occupies the same niche of "Fast, SpD Attacker" as Scream Tail, but with great coverage. You can decide between Leaf Storm or Power Whip if you want to catch an opponent off-guard. Tera Type Steel for defensive coverage.

Cyclizar @ Sitrus Berry
Tera Type: Ghost
Jolly Nature
- Shed Tail
- Draco Meteor
- Power Whip
- Overheat
Cyclizar is alongside Talonflame, one of the fastest threats in the metagame, but it sports a fantastic movepool and Shed Tail is by far one of the greatest moves in the game. I like to run Sitrus Berry to guarantee Shed Tail to succeed as well as top off when switching via Regenerator. Power Whip for physical coverage, Tera Type Ghost for defensive coverage against Fighting and Fairy.

Electrode @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Aftermath
Tera Type: Normal / Flying
Timid Nature
- Explosion
- Volt Switch
- Tera Blast
- Wild Charge
While traditionally a fairly awful and limited Pokémon, this metagame allows Electrode to shine. It is currently the absolute fastest threat in the game, allowing it to outspeed anything with unmatched power. Tera Type Explosion shreds just about anything that's not immensely tanky or outright resists it. Volt Switch allows you to bait the opponent, Wild Charge for physical coverage and Tera Blast hits nicely by itself. You could run Tera Flying for defensive coverage and a Flying Tera Blast as well.

Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Tailwind / Agility
- Shadow Claw / U-turn / Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
Noivern is similar to Talonflame and Cyclizar in terms of niche, but what makes Noivern great is access to Tailwind / U-turn which allows some devastating setups. STAB Boomburst via Tera Type is an obvious get, but personally I like running Shadow Claw as a counter to Scream Tail. Noivern has a great movepool though, so variations on the set are very flexible.

EDIT - Most if not all of these issues have been fixed, thus most of this post is outdated

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9fullpotential-1727375753-3b4vz1873m01atsfou31v14i9mr8hlypw

It doesn't seem like Assault Vest, Eviolite, Choice Scarf or Paralysis affect a pokemon's damage output if their highest stat is Sp Def, Def/Sp Def, Speed, Speed respectively as long as the same stat remains the HCS before/after the boost

Note - In this replay, Dragapult's 2nd HCS is its special attack at 236, if Iron Ball speed drop is taken into account then speed is no longer the HCS, thus lowering the damage, a second replay with Electrode confirms that Iron Ball is only taken into account to see which stat is the highest but not for the damage calculation using that stat:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9fullpotential-1727385858-pitn6y8m1ezugyvxfon4mc977e7159qpw

Electrode was given 0 IVs and EVs in all stats except speed, which was given 31 IVs, 252 EVs and a beneficial nature, even after the Iron Ball speed drop, speed remains the HCS and is thus used for the calculation but then the speed drop isn't applied in the calculation as the damage was the same before and after it was tricked, the same likely applies to other items

The fact that these boosts affect which stat becomes the highest but don't boost calculations from that stat means that Tailwind and other effects can screw you over because now your speed, which was previously about 0.6x your atk is now greater than your atk and is thus deemed HCS but then the calculations use the unboosted speed, resulting in 0.6x damage

Choice Band, Choice Specs and Light Ball also have to be tested but aren't as relevant due to them being much less common on the ladder atm

The issue here is that it could be problematic to "judge" individually which stat-changing abilities/items are meant to alter the stat and which ones are meant to alter damage directly:

Does tablets of ruin/vessel of ruin lower the atk/spa stats or lower physical/special damage? Does sword of ruin/beads of ruin lower def/spd or increase your side's physical/special damage?

Does snow boost ice types' def/spd or does it decrease physical/special damage against them?

There may be more examples and I don't really know of a satisfactory solution to this that both preserves the spirit of the OM and avoids making many arbitrary judgements

Now for some actual sets:

:azumarill:

Huge power boosts damage from physical moves, even if atk isn't your HCS:

Azumarill @ Mystic Water
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Dig
- Ice Spinner
- Amnesia

Basically gen 1 amnesia, boosts your offense and your special defense, I run this in rain as a sweeper/revenge killer and it certainly does its job well, being able to OHKO most things at +2, with the amount of frail speed-offense mons like Electrode, Espathra, Dragapult and Maushold, priority is invaluable

:grimmsnarl:
Grimmsnarl (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Crunch
- Thunder Wave

Dragapult/Espathra check, unfortunately, the para doesn't actually lower their offensive power if speed is their HCS

:toxapex:
Toxapex @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Hyper Beam/Pin Missile/Bite/Mud Shot/Gunk Shot

Regenvest pex with the 153 Def as its attacking stat, you run phys def here bc the AV won't make you hit harder and now you can take physical hits too, it's a mixed tank, though tbf Toxapex can probably run a multitude of sets and still be good

EDIT - Most if not all of these issues have been fixed, thus most of this post is outdated

Last edited:

Espathra @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fighting
Timid Nature
- Lumina Crash
- Low Kick
- Substitute
- Protect

Psychic/Fighting's only struggle is against fellow psychics, sadly not all of them can tank your boosted attacks and OHKO you back
Tera Fighting makes revenge killing you way harder, particularly when you click it and your opponent's First Impression/Sucker Punch does 1/4th of the damage intended

I have honestly no idea on how to deal with this

I assume Foul Play works as usual, using the regular physical attack stat and not the opponent's HCS?

Also, so this isn't a one-liner, here's a Jumpluff set:

:jumpluff:
Jumpluff @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Steel
Timid Nature
- Stun Spore
- Strength Sap
- Leaf Storm/something with more PP
- U-turn

Jumpluff is a really good sleep paralysis spreader due to its speed and having U-Turn, and if half the metagame isn't Dragapult and Cyclizar, then Jumpluff actually has a niche.

EDIT: ah, sleep clause...

Last edited:
Ok there are some legit crazy pokes here
Maushold-Four @ Wide Lens
Ability: Technician
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Population Bomb
- Bite
- Trailblaze
This thing was born in the pits of hell, nothing will convince me otherwise. Technician pop bomb almost always hits 10 times w/ wide lens, and one agility enables this unrelenting swarm to break through almost anything. steel types are somewhat annoying, so tera blast fighting can work instead of trailblaze. bite is neccessary for pult or other ghosts, but maushold's hp bulk can allow it to live an incredible amount of priority moves.

Orthworm @ Leftovers
Ability: Earth Eater
Tera Type: Ghost
Impish Nature
- Coil
- Iron Head
- Shed Tail
- Tera Blast
Having a slow shed tail user is arguably better than having a cyclizar for certain setup pokes here. Orthworm utilizes its supernatural physical bulk to get at least 1 substitute up for you maushold or espathra, or whatever you want. Ghost tera lets it bypass its fighting weakness, but a different one could be used for the fire weakness. Sitrus berry could also be used.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hex/Toxic Spikes
- Baneful Bunker
- Venoshock/Surf/Hydro Pump
- Recover
Finally, Pex can use its signature ability for something. Regardless of whether or not pex itself is putting up the tspikes, it can use a defense stat of **443** to unleash a STAB boosted 130 bp always critting venoshock, or equally powerful hex(without STAB though). Fear this. It has a wide variety of sets for this meta, and can actually spiral out of control easily.

This is where I would put an espathra set, if everyone before me hadn't already. Seriously, that pokemon is amazing for this.

Dachsbun @ Assault Vest
Ability: Well-Baked Body
Tera Type: Psychic
Bold Nature
- Play Rough
- Psychic Fangs
- Stomping Tantrum/Body Press
- Trailblaze
I am not joking when i say that you can just win by switching this into a fire type attack. Once you do, trailblaze allows you to boost speed and pretty much sweep
All I've got for now, probably can think up new ways to stretch the limits of this meta.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)