Monotype Frozen In Time (Ice)

Introduction

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty new to competitive Pokémon as a whole, but when I first started out I came across Monotype. I knew that I wanted to make a team, but I wasn't sure how to make my team a valid and tough team to fight. Eventually I started to learn bit by bit, and finally I managed to create a team! So, I figured that I might as well get a few pointers on how I can improve my team from what it is now, to what it could be.

The Pokémon

Aurorus

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Thunder Wave

When thinking of a team, I tend to start with how I'm gonna lead. Aurorus was the ideal lead in my mind, due to access to Stealth Rocks, and the ability Snow Warning, setting up hail for my mono-ice team. I chose Blizzard due to having perfect accuracy in the hail Aurorus sets up when it switches in, and Earth Power was my coverage move of choice. At first, I wasn't sure what to use for my last slot, but ended up settling on Thunder Wave, to status and potentally allow Aurorus to attack or set up Stealth Rocks safer. Focus Sash was my item of choice due to Aurorus having a ton of weaknesses, so this would allow Aurorus to do something in a worst case scenario.

Cloyter

Cloyster @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard
- Shell Smash

Cloyster immediately came to mind when coming up with the next member of my team due to its amazing sweeping potential and great physical bulk. I chose to use a Skill Link set because I wanted a sweeper that can effectively take on Pokémon that are carrying a Focus Sash or have the ability Sturdy. Icicle Spear and Rock Blast were my attacks of choice that used Skill Link, and I also chose to carry Ice Shard for priority. Finally, Shell Smash was how Cloyster would be an effective sweeper, and carrying the White Herb would negate the downside of using the move.

Cryogonal

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze Dry
- Recover
- Hidden Power Fighting

Cryogonal wasn't really a Pokémon I expected to use. I knew hazard control was important due to ice's weaknes to entry hazards, but I wasn't sure which Pokémon to use. Origionally I was going to chose Arcticuno, but when I was that Cryogonal could use Rapid Spin, I replaced Arcticuno with it. The reason for that is that Cryogonal is faster, didn't take as much damage from Stealth Rocks, and still had acess to Freeze Dry, allowing me to hit water types super effectively with a STAB move. Recover allows Cryogonal to have some more staying power. Finally, Hidden Power Fighting was chosen for a secondary attack, and it gives Cryo a decent coverage option.

Mega Glalie

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Explosion

Ice's options are very limited when it comes to megas, and while Abomasnow is fine and dandy, I ended up choosing Mega Glalie. When Glalie mega evolves, it gets Refridgerate, making normal type moves into ice type STAB moves. This make Double Edge and Explosion it like a truck. Earthquake hits a lot of things that Glalie can't effectively hurt with an ice STAB, and finally, we have Ice Shard for priority.

Kyurem

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

Kyurem is a power wall-breaker that is one of, if not the most reliable members on my team. Kyurem comes packed with great offensive stats, and it has respectable bulk as well. Kyurem's STAB moves will KO most foes if they aren't resisted. Not only this, but Kyurem has access to great coverage move for mono-ice in Earth Power and Focus Blast. Giving Kyurem a Choice Specs further increases his wall-breaking potential.

Weavile

Weavile @ Focus Sash
EV: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Brick Break

Weavile has been extremely useful in battle, partially in thanks for being an absolute monster in battle, and partially thanks to him carrying a Focus Sash. Icicle Crash is the best STAB for Weavile when it comes to ice type moves, in my opinion, and Knock off is not only a STAB move, but also removes items as well. Ice Shard is a great priority move in the few cases Weavile needs it. I was conflicted on what to chose for Weavile's last slot, but ended up settling on Brick Break over Low Kick for a more consistent coverage move.

Quick Replay With This Team: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-420561276

Hey mate, that's a great team. I really like how you're using regular Kyurem, which is a very underrated Pokemon. I have a few changes you might want to try out.
  • On Aurorus I'd suggest Earth Power --> Encore and 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD --> 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Speed. On a suicide lead like these, a way to stop set up sweepers that don't get affected by Thunder Wave (notably Sub CM Keldeo and other Substitute users) is much more important. SpA investments are also unneeded as maximum Speed allows it to sit at a decent speed tier and allows it to get rocks up / spread T-Wave much easier.
  • Cloyster appreciates White Herb --> Focus Sash a lot more as it has very low SpD and Focus Sash makes it much easier for it to set up.
  • -->
    Avalugg boasts much higher Physical Defense, allowing it to take on pretty much any Physical Attacker bar those that can hit it with strong STAB SE moves. It has reliable recovery, decent attack, Rapid Spin, and a way to phase out set up sweepers, making it the premier option for a Rapid Spin user on Ice.
  • Here I would suggest Focus Sash --> Life Orb. Life Orb lets Weavile hit significantly harder, something that is highly appreciated by a strong, fast attacker like this. Focus Sash is rarely ever useful and the increase in power is sorely missed.
Aurorus @ Focus Sash
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Freeze-Dry

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard
- Shell Smash

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Avalanche
- Roar
- Recover

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Brick Break

I hope you like the changes, good luck with the team :)

Hey man, I love that you have interest in the Monotype Metagame! Ice tends to be a very difficult type, but I give you props for wanting to pick it up, I have a few quick suggestions though that could really help you out immensely.

• First off, I agree with Terror's suggestion on Aurorus, Encore really helps you against other leads and often forces switchouts if used correctly. However, looking at your team you lack a check to Mega Scizor who would really threaten you otherwise, so HP Fire could also be an option to consider.
  • Instead of Cloyster, I would actually suggest using Choice Scarf Mamoswine. Lacking a Scarfer can often be challenging, especially on an Ice team, so this'll help you a little bit to give you another Pokemon with a good speed tier to start (like Weavile). It'll help you check Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona as well, which are often a hassle to get around otherwise.
  • Next, I also agree with Terror's suggestion to switch out Cryogonal with Avalugg. Avalugg is one of the best Defensive walls Ice has, as well as hazard removal. However, I would highly suggest running Earthquake over Roar. This helps you to check Terrakion and Bisharp, who would otherwise be much more challenging without it.
  • This is more of a reminder than a suggestion, but be sure all of your Pokemon's HP is Odd so that if you switch into Stealth Rocks, you'll take less damage (after to SR switchins you'll be at 51% as opposed to 50).
  • Now, I really like that your running regular Kyurem! I saw your post in the Viability Rankings thread (which if you wanted to could probably do a full length post on if you have the time and energy so you can back your claims, because I agree with you), and looking at it, since it has a higher Special Attack than Kyurem-B, you probably could use it as a Special Wallbreaker (although, your gonna miss out on 2 things in particular that you may wanna consider, Fusion Bolt, which helps a lot against Water Teams, and Terravolt, which allows Earth Power to hit stuff like Rotom). I think though Life Orb would be the better option over Choice Specs. It gives you some more ease when choosing your moves, so you can play freely without worrying of being Choice-Locked, and in return, its a very minor power drop.
  • You also may wanna consider running Mega Glalie Adamant. There isn't a lot your gonna outspeed with Jolly, other than Hydreigon (which Mamoswine/Weavile would be able to check anyhow) and speed tying with the plethora of base 100 Pokemon (which often times is unreliable more than it is helpful). With an Adamant nature, you get a huge power boost, and you get guaranteed 2KO's against a vast majority of the metagame (making it Ice's best Physical Wallbreaker).
  • Lastly, I also agree with Terror's suggestion on Weavile, but I feel Low Kick would be much better to run than Brick Break. Most of the pokemon your gonna hit with Fighting Coverage are majority of the times than not pretty heavy, so pretty likely your gonna go more damage output out of using that instead.
The team you had was a great start buddy, don't take these as me completely changing what you have, these are just my personal suggestions that you may find to be helpful (I actually use Ice frequently as well, so I know a lot about how the type fairs vs other types, and a lot of the optimal sets to run). Now granted, there could be other things you could add such as Walrein for a fire resist (and if you were to choose that I would replace Weavile), however with a type that is this challenging it can be very difficult to cover everything you want, so it really does depend on personal preference (the hardest types your gonna encounter is Steel and Fighting, with an 80% win rate, and there's a few others that your at a considerable disadvantage against). If you'd like some more help, you can find me on PS!, and I'll be more than happy to sit down and help you with whatever you need (I'm a roomdriver in the Monotype room, so I shouldn't be super difficult to find). Anyways, best of luck to you, here are the sets for the suggestions I made to you. GL! :)

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Encore
- Thunder Wave

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Kyurem @ Life Orb
Timid Nature / Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Explosion

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey there, cool Ice team! I have a suggestion for you.

Currently you don't have any Pokemon that outspeed and threaten Keldeo. Although Weavile does outspeed it, it only does a little over 30% with Knock Off, but Keldeo is still capable of beating everything on your team even without its item. You can solve this by adding a Choice Scarf Rotom-F > Cloyster. You have three hard hitting wallbreakers in Specs Kyurem, Weavile and Mega Glalie which Rotom-F can get you a free switch in to them thanks to Volt Switch, so losing your set up sweeper won't cost you that much. Focus Sash users can have their sash broken by Aurorus's Snow Warning, or even Rocky Helmet on Avalugg as terrors suggested, so you don't have to rely on Skill Link for that. However, another thing that Rotom-F is capable of doing is luring in Mega Scizor, another Pokemon that can destroy yours as well as most Ice-type teams. By running 108 EVs in HP, Rotom-F will never be OHKOd by +2 Adamant Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor if it's at full HP, and you can OHKO it with HP Fire, or at least put it in range of any priority move on your team to kill. The Speed you will have left after putting in EVs in HP is enough to outspeed Keldeo and most other Pokemon that you would want to be faster than.

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt / Trick
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hope this helped, good luck with the team!

Hey guys! Thanks for helping out with this team! I'll give you a quick update on what I chose to change:

Aurorus's Earth Power was changed to Encore; EVs changed to 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe, nature changed to Timid

Cloyster was changed to the Choice Scarf Rotom-Frost set posted above

Cryogonal was changed to Avalugg, with Earthquake, not roar

Mega Glaile's nature was changed to Adamant

Kyerum remains the same, Life Orb is a decent option, but misses out of a few KOs.

Weavile now holds a Life Orb

Hey guys! Thanks for helping out with this team! I'll give you a quick update on what I chose to change:

Aurorus's Earth Power was changed to Encore; EVs changed to 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe, nature changed to Timid

Cloyster was changed to the Choice Scarf Rotom-Frost set posted above

Cryogonal was changed to Avalugg, with Earthquake, not roar

Mega Glaile's nature was changed to Adamant

Kyerum remains the same, Life Orb is a decent option, but misses out of a few KOs.

Weavile now holds a Life Orb
aurorus should have max spatk to hit as hard as possible, its defensive typing is terrible and your already running a sash to live a hit so the hp is kinda pointless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)