Flygon was hurt by Spikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was battling last night, and I had Rampardos out and a few layers of Spikes on my opponent's end. When my opponent sent in his Flygon, it took damage from Spikes. The only possible explanation I can think of is that Mold Breaker caused the Spikes to hit through Levitate, but that doesn't seem to fit with the explanation of Mold Breaker, since Spikes was not caused by Rampardos, nor is Spikes an "attack." The reason I am most interested in this is in regards to Clefable:

• Is Clefable hit by Spikes/Stealth Rock during Mold Breaker?
  • Is Clefable damaged by poison or other status during Mold Breaker?
Unfortunately i did not save the log.

From Bulba:
Mold Breaker allows the Pokémon's moves to strike through any opposing abilities e.g. Fire-type moves will hit a Pokémon with Flash Fire. Likewise, Pokémon with Water Absorb or Wonder Guard will have their abilities disabled and will be damaged by Water or non-super effective moves respectively. Levitate ability is also lifted, enabling Ground-type moves to hit through. However, this does not enable Flying-type Pokémon to be hit by Ground-type moves or Ghost-type Pokémon to be hit by Normal-type moves.

Spikes is a ground move.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, so the ability is completely nullified by virtue of it being an attack-restricting ability? That makes sense. Thanks!

Uh, I don't think this is right.

From Smogon's description:
If this Pokémon attacks and the target's ability would prevent the effects of the attack from taking place, or hinder the effects of the move, the ability is temporarily nullified while the attack is in progress. Abilities that prevent status such as Limber are deactivated during the attack which allows a Pokémon that has one to be affected by the status they prevent, but the ability cures the status immediately after the attack.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
What could have happened is that I used Earthquake on my opponent's switch to flygon, therefore disabling levitate as it switched in, allowing spikes to do damage. Obviously I picked the move before the switch took place (since you cannot make a switch without both players having chosen an action), so it knew I was using earthquake.

No. Flygon should only be hit by spikes if gravity is up. The opponent having mold breaker (and using EQ) had nothing to do with that, because the ability is only nullified during the attack of rampardos.

This is just a bug, but SB2 will come out soon anyway, with active support for bugs, so don't worry.

What could have happened is that I used Earthquake on my opponent's switch to flygon, therefore disabling levitate as it switched in, allowing spikes to do damage. Obviously I picked the move before the switch took place (since you cannot make a switch without both players having chosen an action), so it knew I was using earthquake.
No. Mold Breaker only ignores Levitate for attacks that Rampardos itself uses--it has no effect on entry hazards or stuff Rampardos didn't actually use itself, like Spikes. Or at least that's the way it's supposed to work--it's possible that this is a glitch involving Mold Breaker, Levitate and Spikes.

Are you sure that Gravity wasn't in effect or anything? If it wasn't, then this is probably a glitch.

I tested this, and this is, indeed, a glitch. NixHex's scenario is most likely the case. Bugs won't be fixed in SB1, but thank you for your report!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)