Metagame Flipped

I've been playing around a bit with this format, and it's pretty fun so far. From what I've seen, Espeon and Mienshao feel like the top pokemon by far, with Pheremosa also being up there. I haven't seen Dracovish very often, but it seems good on paper. However, I think weather is something that is quite good and could use some exploration. I've been playing around with rain a bit and there are a surprising amount of abusers. Ludicolo, Manitine, and Carracosta and are all heavy hitters who outspeed just about everything with swift swim. As well, Weather Setting+Speed Boosting abilities being legal on the same team means you can easily set weather and have abusers ready. I haven't used sun or sand yet, but they both seem like they could be dangerous. Hail might even have a niche with Arctovish going crazy.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I've been at #1 with this team for most of the month, so here it is. It is a stall team, so don't use it if you don't want long drawn-out battles.

Mienshao @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out

Yeah, it's Mienshao, the best Regenerator in the game. It takes the attacks of many powerful sweepers like Avalugg and Rhyperior, and because most of these Pokemon are weak to Fighting and have terrible HP, it can 2-shot them easily even with a poor Attack stat.

Pheromosa @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Roost
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
- Foul Play

Pheromosa is the bulkiest thing in the meta and a fantastic Spinner, which is her main role in this team.

Persian-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Parting Shot

This cat is just so physically bulky now that it has a boost in HP and Defense. To give you an idea, Snorlax has a chance of not 2HKOing it after a +6 Body Slam! STAB Foul Play 2HKOs most physical sweepers and it's a good counter to Espeon and other Psychics, many of which have become physical attackers.

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Rest
- Poison Jab
- Aromatherapy

Roserade takes care of Fairy types that can give Persian and Pheromosa trouble. It lays down Spikes and with Rest, Natural Cure, and Aromatherapy, it can keep itself and the team healthy.

Dragapult @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Infestation
- Rest
- Hex

Dragapult is the team's spinblocker and is the bulkiest ghost in the game. While Spectrier can take physical hits better, it has low Sp. Defense and doesn't have the Fire and Electric resistance so it performs worse against spinners like Regieleki, Torkoal, and Coalossal. Will-o-wisp and Infestation deal chip damage every turn while it uses boosted Hexes to wear the opponent down.

Aerodactyl @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rock Tomb

Aerodactyl is the counter to Defog users. Defog's PP gets worn down with Pressure while the opponent's HP gets worn down with Toxic. Its high HP and good Sp Defense lets it perform well against most common Defoggers. Even Zapdos can't 2HKO it with Thunderbolt. Rock Tomb could be replaced with Taunt to stop recovery and status moves, but I do want a way of damaging the opponent if they're immune to poison.

This team does have a noticeable weakness to Fairies, but it isn't really an issue in Flipped since most of them become physically oriented so they're handled easily by Roserade. Hustle Togekiss could be a threat, but so far I haven't encountered any.

Flipped is over. Here's a few teams I used. This meta was really stally which I kinda liked as nothing gives me satisfaction quite like dismantling stall teams. Also I realized I literally used AV Mienshao or SpDef Pheromosa on literally every team except the hyper offense, shows how fucked up Rhyperior is.

:entei::diggersby::celesteela::mimikyu::excadrill::espeon:
Probably one of the more offensive teams you can run in this format. Lead Excadrill is a solid lead that doesn't care about Espeon. Usually if you play offensively in the early game you can keep rocks up, and off your side. Mimikyu is a pretty niche mon but it's your spinblocker and last line of defense against Rhyperior. Diggersby without Body Slam lets you do less to phys def Pheromosa but other mons can pick up the slack. Celesteela and Entei are both great at breaking down bulky cores when played right. Celesteela is great against cores relying on Mienshao or Pheromosa + a Flying type. Often Autotomize is not needed against such teams. Entei only speed creeps base 110s, I decided only tying Rhyperior is not worth it. Arguments go either way. Speaking of which, it's reliant on keeping hazards off and is matchup reliant but is great at winning CM wars and closing down passive play. CM Espeon is the only Espeon set not for virgins so I'll use it, it can be pretty good in lategames. This team is pretty weak to teams with Tyranitar + Wish as all the special attackers struggle with it, so play smart and wear it down.

:cryogonal::diggersby::mienshao::tornadus-therian::arcanine::seismitoad:
Pivot around to bring in your big breakers and revenge kill threats with priority. CB Cryogonal is one of my favourite attackers due to its great power and utility, and it's fairly synergistic with CB Diggersby too. The defensive core of AV Mienshao + Phys Def Tornadus-T + Sylveon Counter + Extra Water and Fire Resist is a usual teambuilding construction I tend to rely on. Arcanine is chosen because I already have a ground immunity and Intimidate helps dance around things, and Seismitoad prevents water-move-spammers from going too wild and can generally pivot into Scarf Torkoal once. The speed investment puts it ahead of neutral base 90 (Dracovish, Nidoqueen, Goodra) and positive base 80 (Volcanion, Primarina, Metagross, Regice, Magearna). Also, Brick Break Mienshao is not a mistake! It leverages high PP, decent damage against Kartana, and ability to break screens for easier revenge killing.

:regidrago::weezing-galar::mienshao::tornadus-therian::heatran::seismitoad:
Pretty similar in construction to the last one, huh? This one uses Regidrago to pummel foes and revenge kill fast threats, with Weezing-Galar to shut down opposing Mienshao. Weezing-Galar is a wonky semi-offensive set with Rocky Helmet for maximum Mienshao damage. The defensive core uses a similar philosophy, with Body Press on Heatran to beat down CM Kartana (sadly Lava Plume doesn't always get it done) and special tanks better. Seismitoad is a surprising Specs set. While not a powerful breaker by any means, the additional offensive presence appreciates the ability to pressure Mienshao that Weezing provides. Being a team with Regidrago, it's very much a matchup fish and falls flat against teams with multiple or defensive Fairies, so you need to adequately cover them with your teammates.

:landorus::naganadel::pheromosa::sylveon::heatran::araquanid:
This team features two niche attackers. Landorus is largely outclassed by Nidoqueen IMO, but it has an advantage in setup potential, although it needs Sub to really take advantage of it. Naganadel is a niche setup sweeper that can take advantage of passive mons thanks to its good bulk and resistances, as well as Toxic immunity, and it can beat down Dragon-type special tanks. Double smartly to wear down Heatran! Sylveon's Double Kick can help lure it. Araquanid can revenge kill or potentially control speed. This team gets fucked by stronger, faster offenses sometimes but it sure has potential.

:necrozma::primarina::heatran::mienshao::magearna::zapdos:
Necrozma is really great at breaking down defensive Fightings and has the coverage to hit basically everything. The amazing and underrated Magearna covers its weaknesses and can Trick threats so that Primarina or Necrozma can get an opening. Primarina is a bit weaker than something like Dracovish, but it helps control opposing offense with its priority. This team kinda can't handle overbearing water attacks from Rain teams, so the priority helps take out weakened mons too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)