Flight - OU Monotype Stall

Dear sweet skies, I don't think this board has ever seen an OU Monotype team before. Not that it should matter, this is written as quite a standard RMT.

With the release of 6th gen, I've found that this team has sank into mediocrity, and since 6th Gen battles are becoming the standard, I think it's pretty much time to retire these flyers, unless someone challenges me to 5th. I've had a lot of success with it in the few months it's been in use...

The team was constructed very simply: lots of defense, lots of recovery, and a couple of emergency buttons. The team lineup thus consists of two Special walls, two Physical walls, and two emergency buttons (what? I did say "a couple"). It's a long read because I suck at making things short, so I've bolded some of the more important points (one for every Pokemon), if wall of text crits you, just read that bit.

On to the RMT itself...

Myth (Gyarados) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail​

The first pokemon in my teamlist, and and the last to be added; Myth the Gyarados is one of my special walls. As I toyed with my team, I realised that my other special wall, Togekiss, was too overworked - I often needed her to check three pokemon on the opposing team, because the Pokemon in this slot (a standard CP Sigilyph) was proving to be so much dead weight.

Enter Gyarados. With a 252/252+ Specially Defensive spread, Myth checks all variants of Volcarona, all variants of Special Lucario... pretty much every special sweeper not packing Thunderbolt. It's also bulky enough to survive weak electric attacks. Due to Intimidate, she can also come in on resisted and neutral physical hits, serving as an emergency check to Physical Sweepers (Lucario and Infernape, off the top of my head).

Her typing gives her nifty resistances to Water and Fire, so Gyarados is also my main check to Rain teams (man, **** Politoed. Also, **** Rotom-W) and Sun teams. Importantly, she also sports an Ice neutrality (Yes, omnipresent Ice Beam. I'm looking at you), which is important because, well, Monotype.

What does this offer over a Bulky DD set? Mostly, it's recovery, which Bulky DD doesn't offer. Sometimes, rarely, the recovery isn't necessary. A lot of the time, I'm clicking Rest two or three times a match. I could run Waterfall/Stone Edge, but I find Twave/Dragon Tail more efficient, considering I'm 0Atk and often with 3 layers of Spikes and SR. I can get 3-4 Dragon Tails off in a row, then Rest off the damage and get some more with Sleep Talk.

Running RestTalk means I also have a status absorber. Sponged a Volc Fire Blast and took an unlucky burn? idgaf. Vaporeon Scalding you all day? idgaf. Heatran fishing for Lava Plume burn? idgaf. Pory2 trolling you with Discharge? Freaking switch, he's not surviving two of those things.

Light (Togekiss) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Body Slam​

Light the Togekiss (I should have named her Reverie, but it's a little too late for that) occupies the last slot in my team list, which is a little ironic because for the longest time, and even now, Light is one of the most important Pokemon on the team (easily a contender for MVP). She's second here because Myth was first, and I decided to lump the Special Walls together for readability.

Often, Thunderbolts and Ice Beams are used for coverage, which makes them unSTABed, and not as powerful as opponents might hope. Here, calcs for you:
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 225-265 (60.16 - 70.85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sweet skies, Togekiss. Not all Latios run Specs, and I commonly find myself taking 30% from the likes of HP Ice... or Ice Beam.

252+ SpA Omastar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 136-162 (36.36 - 43.31%) -- 98.85% chance to 3HKO

But it's not her job to take Ice Beams, is it? Gyara checks Omastar better, anyway. What about something that packs Thunderbolt?

252+ SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 315-374 (84.22 - 100%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

What the flying-

Light is my check to anything that carries Thunderbolt (come on, it obviously wasn't going to be a Gyarados). And by that, I mean "special attackers in general" - HP Ice commonly does 20% to her. Importantly, she's also the team's only real answer to Thundurus-T, and even then, not all that solid an answer - On the attack I live, I go for a Body Slam para, Roost stall him until I get Parahax, then start Air Slashing for 4-5hit KO.

Instead of boring you like I did with Gyarados' paragraphs, I'll explain some of the more dubious choices I've made. Right off the bat, you'll notice a Lum Berry instead of Leftovers. This is mostly personal preference - back before I ran Gyarados, a single unlucky Thunderbolt Para or Ice Beam freeze meant game over for me. Taking Scald burns or eating Toxic was less debilitating, but not by all that much. Lum Berry gives me another shot at life. Experience proved it to be far more gamechanging than the passive healing from Lefties.

The other thing you'll notice is Twave and Body Slam on the same set, with no Aura Sphere. Body Slam lets me check Thundy-T, paralyze Ground types, and beat Wobbuffet. Thunder Wave hits ghosts and is far more reliable. The redundancy has saved me more than once. Aura Sphere, in all the time I ran it, was fairly useless and I never clicked on it, nor have I since thought, "man, I really wish I had Aura Sphere now". Well, fine, once.

Valor (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 228 Def / 252 HP / 28 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird​

Valor the Skarmory is the first of my Physical walls. It walls most Tyranitar and Terrakion, which is huge. The EVs are PS default, with four points extra into speed from Def to speedcreep opposing Skarm in case of a Whirlwind battle. I don't even remember why they recommend 24 Spe, but I know it's to outspeed something. Notably, Skarmory is neutral to Rock attacks.

This is a bog standard Skarm set, really, not much to talk about. Instead, I'm going to talk about why it doesn't run SR. This requires a bit of knowledge about the rest of the team (specifically, a Xatu). Often, against a Flying monotype team, opponents scramble to get SR up. I can't count the number of times they led with their SR setter against Light the Togekiss. In comes Xatu for free rocks. Other times, they predict the obvious switch and drop Xatu, but I can KO them right back (you'll see why soon), so neither team gets rocks up. In such cases, I have the advantage because of Spikes. The last common scenario is when they toss out SR mid-game, and by this time, I often have a decisive lead. Either that, or I'm screwed anyway.

Against mono-flying, I'm obviously not setting up Spikes. It makes more sense to come in as a defensive pivot - just sort of sit there until they get frustrated with hitting something impervious to their attacks. Whirlwind stops those pesky setup sweepers, which is really, really important...

Silence (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 224 Def / 212 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Substitute
- Earthquake​

Silence the Gliscor is the other half of my Physically defensive duo. Notably also Rock-neutral, but with the added bonus of Electric immunity and bulky enough to take an Ice Shard from Mamo - yes, I had to do this once, damn you Stone Miss for critting twice. Similar to Skarmory, Gliscor is a fairly standard set - 72Spe neutral outruns Jolly Tyranitar, which is huge, in case it turns out to be one of those stupid Mixed ones. Gliscor also takes under 50% from most Outrages. The premise is simple - Toxic something, then spam Sub/Protect to kill it. That's the premise, anyway. Normally he doesn't stay in for that much time.

Of note here is STAB EQ, which, despite no investment, is still reasonably strong, and especially useful against opposing Rock-types. Especially, especially Rock Monotype teams. Especially, especially, especially Tyranitar - look, I'm speedcreeping the guy, man. That should tell you something... EQ is also notable for hitting everything that Toxic isn't. Bar the likes of Crobat (never seen him ever), Balloon Heatran and Skarm, of course.

Well, the only thing even slightly odd here is the EV spread. You already know that 72 Spe exists to speedcreep Tyranitar. I then maxed defense and chucked the rest of the 184EVs into HP. Afterwards, I shifted EVs from Def into HP until my HP hit a multiple of 8. I believe this maximises my physical def for a HP stat at a multiple of 8, without wasting EVs (of course, I may be wrong). The alternative spread was 180 HP/4 Atk/252Def/72 Spe, if you wanted to know.

Counter (Xatu) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Heat Wave
- Trick
- Grass Knot
- Psyshock​

What in all the skies is this abomination? A Modest Specs Xatu? And what's with that movepool? The only viable Xatu is a Twave/Dual Screens/U-Turn/Roost/Wish/insert support move here variant! Is this thing trying to be a Latios? Not that Latios would ever run Heat Wave or Grass Knot. It can't.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Xatu Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Gastrodon: 308-364 (72.3 - 85.44%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Xatu Heat Wave vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 370-436 (113.14 - 133.33%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Xatu Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Forretress: 868-1024 (245.19 - 289.26%) -- guaranteed OHKO (no, really?)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Xatu Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 168-198 (41.58 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So, what does Specs Xatu actually do? Mostly, it drops opposing mons carrying SR. Grass Knot drops those Water/Groundmons (and Ttar), Heat Wave trolls Steels, and Psyshock is for STAB. The only common SRmon it doesn't beat is Heatran, and Heatran is known for being really weak to EQ. Which Gliscor and Salamence carry.

The other irreplaceable move is Trick, which lets me win games I shouldn't. For example, Cradily (this is a Monotype team, you see Cradily on every opposing Mono-Rock ever). Cradily can't do anything to me if it's holding Specs. How about Vaporeon? Yes, irritating, insane, half-broken HydraRest Vaporeon with Politoed support can't do anything to me if it's holding Specs. Prankstermon? Xatu comes in on anything and slaps Specs on them.

Remember, this is a defensive team, it's going to get taken apart by the likes of Tauntmons (yes, Sableye, I'm looking at you). Against some teams, Xatu is dead weight. This I admit freely (makes good death fodder). He's most likely to be sacked where necessary. But when he contributes, he really contributes.

Hope (Salamence) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang​

I hope you saw it coming. Hope is a Scarf Moxiemence, named so because she wins games when I'm really behind and have nothing to do but hope (Never give up hope and all that shtick). She's also a pretty effective emergency panic button. Shell Smashed Omastar at 1/2hp threatening a sweep? Hope. SD Chain Chomp just Fire Blasted Skarmory out of the air? Hope. Scarf Moxie Heracross? Hope. Need emergency damage on something that's likely to sweep me? Hope.

Often, Hope only comes out once or twice a match, KOes something that I need dropped, then immediately switches back out. Like I said, emergency panic button, and a pretty effective one.

One thing I do with this team when I'm losing is try to open up a Hope sweep. If I see that one of his pokemon is his only hope of stopping Hope, I'll try to find some way to stop that Pokemon - say, by paralyzing a Scarf Latios. Especially against Pranksters, I try to remove them ASAP; as long as there's a single opposing Prankster, there's no hope of sweeping. Sometimes I'm forced to just cross my fingers, click Outrage and hope for luck. Works sometimes.

Why run a Scarf Moxiemence when you could take another defensivemon and wall even more things? Cover up a few of the holes that your team has, eg Thundurus-T? This is not really a good question, but I think it bears answering. The emergency panic button is just that - for emergency use. Imagine I run a fifth defensivemon. Maybe it counters Thundurus-T, Tyranitar and Aerodactyl (all three of which I have trouble with). So, what happens if I lose a counter to something? SD Chain Chomp Fire Blasts Skarm out of the sky, maybe. He's just opened up a hole in my team that he can exploit. What if I misplay?

If my team is a solid brick wall, running a fifth defensivemon is like having a thicker wall. It's better at the onset, sure, but it's useless if someone breaks through. Running Hope is like having a bricklayer.

---

How the team works

It might be fairly obvious that I get a lot of my damage from Spikestacking. Both Skarmory and Gyarados phaze well, and Gliscor tends to force a lot of switches. Against levitators and flying types, I have actual direct damage from the likes of Togekiss, and sometimes I have SR damage. Toxic from Gliscor is always useful, and Hope the Salamence exists to drop things.

It's also pretty obvious that most of my team (the walls, at any rate) can heal themselves - Skarm and Kiss pack Roost, Gyara is RestTalk, and Gliscor is Poison Heal/Protect. This gives them some pretty insane longevity as long as I play smart, and I rely on this longevity to win games by outright preventing the opponent from KOing me while damage builds on them - through Toxic, phazing, hazards or repeated flinches. As a result, I commonly win 4-0 or 5-0, although it tends to take upwards of 40 turns.

Conversely, because of this, it's also common for my losses to be 0-4 or 0-5 (man, **** Politoed). By attempting to check next to everything in four Pokemon slots, in the worst case scenario, I become susceptible to a devastating loss if I lose even one of my Pokemon. Other times, say when the opponent is packing some insane hard hitters like Darmanitan and Thundy-T (or Rain-boosted Hydro Pump), my recovery simply can't keep up. This can go for setup sweepers as well, although I do have the capability to phaze them.

The crux of this team has to be setting up a Scarf Moxiemence sweep. By whittling down the opposing team through passive damage and putting paralysis on the fast ones, it becomes decidedly simple to start dropping things at low health with a Dragon Claw, then evolving that into an unstoppable sweep of a weakened team.

---
Off the top of my head, here's a list of things I have trouble beating. I'll copypasta the posted threat list into a second post, along with my answers to them.

Thundurus-T. Of course Thundy-T is first. It oneshots my entire team sans Togekiss. Thundy-T is very simple. If it's Specs, Scarf or Expert Belt and Togekiss misses her Paralyze on Body Slam or gets outright KOed (by Specs), I'm screwed. If it's LO, I try for the paralyze first. If not, I double switch between Skarm and Gliscor, hopefully keeping Gliscor alive and feeding Skarm a few HP Ice. By this time, hopefully LO Recoil has kicked in and I sack Skarm then go to Hope the Scarf Moxiemence for a KO.

Tyranitar. Man, **** Ttar. If it's banded, I'll know straightaway. You know, when Skarm and Gliscor take upwards of 50% from Stone Edge. The 252/228+ Skarm and the 212/224+ Gliscor? Yeah... Against Bandtar, I try to get Gliscor in safely, Toxic him and Sub>Protect until he's at about 40%, at which point EQ is a clean KO. If it's the mixed set, I'll know, too. When it tries to Ice Beam Gliscor. Ttar is big enough of a threat that I'll Protect against him first turn every time. If it's the mixed variant, I stall him out of Ice Beam PP. In an emergency, I go to Gyara, Intimidate him, paralyze him and phaze him out - after which Skarm beats him. No, I don't get OHKOed by Stone Edge after Intimidate unless Band.

Victini. Dear sweet skies, V-Create punches huge holes in my team. It does huge chunks to Gliscor and post-intimidate Gyara. I beat it by getting Gliscor in safely, EQing it, protecting for HP, then EQing again. If necessary... Hope.

Reuniclus. If it's OTR Reuniclus, either Gyara or Kiss hits it till it dies, or I sack something on the last turn of TR and bring in Hope. If it's the CM/Recover/Psyshock/Focus Miss variant, I slap Specs onto it and phaze it all day until it's the lastmon, then I stall it out of whatever move it chose and watch it struggle to death. Against either variant, I always consider whittling it down some, then making it collateral damage in a Hope sweep.

Politoed and his Rain cronies. As a defensive team, I have a lot of trouble with what I like to term "application of excessive force" i.e. anything that hits really, really hard (Hmm, Bandtar, Thundy-T, Victini... I'm seeing a pattern here...). Rain boosted STAB Hydro Pump off 128 SpA qualifies (Yes, Keldeo, that's you). Rotom-W gets special mention for beating Gyarados with STAB Thunder. There's no beating a well-built, well-played rain team with this one. If there's no Vaporeon, I might sneak by with a Hope sweep after Twaving the Keldeo who is probably scarfed. Otherwise... no. Speaking of Vaporeon, I'm not beating it without Tricking Specs onto it. What's this, lost Xatu already? gg

Nidoking. Eh, what? He Tbolts Skarm and Gyara and Ice Beams Gliscor, that's what. The name of the game is getting Xatu or Mence in safely, then he's dead. Kiss, maybe, if she nails a para on the first Body Slam. Normally teams with Nidoking are easily walled by my team (you only really see him on Monotype teams), so I can sack something safely.

Kyu-B. Thankfully Fusion Bolt does just under 50% to Skarm, last I knew, so I can stall him out with a combination of Skarm, Gliscor and Gyara. Go to Gliscor on the Fusion Bolt, Protect the Ice Beam, then go to Gyara. Back to Gliscor for the Fusion Bolt, then Skarm in case he got smart. Then drop 3 layers of Spikes on him and phaze him. Alternatively, get Hope in safely.

Aerodactyl. What the flying- no, really. Taunt stops Gliscor and Skarm in their tracks; Stone Edge drops Kiss, Gyara and Xatu. My best bet is to go to Gyara on Taunt or something like Double Edge and switch back to Skarm or Gliscor to tank the Head Smash Stone Edge. Stall him out of Stone Miss and he's pretty much not a threat. Alternatively, get Hope in safely.

Boosting sweepers. I can Phaze them out, usually. But remember Application of Excessive Force? Yeah. Special mention goes to Cradily for having Suction Cups, meaning the only check I have is to slap Specs onto it.

Standard OU Offensive Threats
Abomasnow: Can't touch Gyarados. If he lacks Blizzard, can't touch Skarm either. Paralyze him or stack Spikes, then phaze him out.

Alakazam: Togekiss comes in, Twave>Roost>Flinch him to death.

Azelf: Never seen one. If it looks like it's going to SR, go to Xatu. Otherwise, Gyara Twave>Dragon Tail.

Azumarill: Gyarados walls all variants post-intimidate. Skarm should, too. Paralyze him, phaze him and wait for him to die.

Breloom: Xatu comes in on anything but Stone Edge and trolls Spore. Psyshock I think is an OHKO. If Gyarados is already asleep, Skarm can come on and KO with Brave Bird.

Celebi: Irritating thing. Whittle it down with repeated phazes and Skarm Brave Birds. Gyarados walls most variants, doesn't fear status and phazes for pretty good damage.

Cloyster: Skarm laughs at all variants.

Conkeldurr: Phaze him with Skarm or troll him with Gliscor Toxic.

Darmanitan: Try to get Gliscor in safely, wear him down from Flare Blitz recoil. Gyarados Intimidate helps a lot. Remember: Application of excessive force, and Darmanitan fits...

Dragonite: Try to slap any status onto him, break his Multiscale with Dragon Tail or Brave Bird, then shoot for a KO with Hope. This one is troubling...

Dugtrio: Can't trap me, can't touch Skarm or Gliscor, or Gyara, to a lesser extent. Kill it fast so it doesn't stop Salamence with Sucker Punch.

Empoleon: Irritating bugger. Slap para onto him as possible and phaze him over the Spikes.

Espeon: Body Slam to paralyze it with Kiss. It's a nonissue, really - can't stop Gyara, Spikes on my field don't hurt me, bouncing Toxic back to Gliscor is worthless...

Garchomp: Skarm walls all non-Chain Chomp variants, and Gyara trolls Chain Chomp (I think). Scout for a Scarf; if none, it's Hope food.

Gengar: Phaze him and try to make him collateral damage in a Hope sweep. I think Xatu bounces Disable in a pinch...

Gorebyss: I've never seen one. Switch Skarm in before it passes and WW.

Gothitelle: Never seen her. Gyara and Skarm phaze her. Kiss wins 1 on 1. Gliscor should beat any variant lacking Substitute.

Gyarados: Phaze with Skarm and try to get any status onto him. The only threatening set is the SubDD one, which loses to repeated phazing by Skarm. If his Sub is down, Gliscor lives a Waterfall and retaliates with Toxic. If I've bounced SR, all the better.

Haxorus: Skarmory LAUGHS

Heatran: Gyara trolls all variants. Once its Balloon is broken, Mence and Gliscor beat it.

Hydreigon: Gyara comes in on anything, paralyzes it and phazes it for good damage. Dragon tail always does more than 25%, if you're thinking of Sub.

Infernape: Unboosted Infernape loses to Gyarados, period. Unscarfed Infernape lose to Hope. Gliscor can take any hit and retaliate with EQ.
Jirachi: If it's the CM set, slap Specs onto it. If it's ParaflinchRachi, Gyara resists Iron Head, Intimidates it, and runs Rest. Alternatively, phaze all day with Skarm.

Keldeo: Gyarados beats all Keldeo lacking HP Electric. Salamence beats all Keldeo unscarfed. if it comes in on a Sub, Gliscor beats it. Mostly.

Kingdra: Gyarados comes in, paralyzes it and phazes it out.

Kyurem: Doesn't beat Skarm, so phaze the Sub variants. If it's a Blizzspamming Hailmon, it's unlikely to have a sub, so Gyara can phaze it. Worst come to worst, stall it out of Blizzard with Gliscor and Gyarados.

Kyurem-B: See OP.

Landorus-T: Skarm walls him badly. So does Gliscor.

Latias: If SubCM, give her Specs. Phaze all variants with Sub. Try to Paralyze her regardless. She also makes pretty good Hope food after being weakened.

Latios: Kiss beats all variants one-on-one, just needs to come in safely. Once he's paralyzed, he's Hope food.

Lucario: Gyara beats all special and mixed variants. Skarm beats all Physical.

Magnezone: If it's one of those Sturdy ones on Electric monos, go to Gliscor on Tbolt and Substall him out of Flash Cannon. The Magnet Pull ones just die to EQ.

Mamoswine: Skarm beats all variants bar double crits on Stone Edge. Stack spikes and phaze him

Meloetta: Never seen her. Gliscor beats the Relic Mixed set as long as no Ice beam. Gyara phazes the CM set. Once paralyzed she's Hope food.

Metagross: Skarm beats all variants, even Thunderpunch ones. Just phaze him if he ever gets a Meteor Miss boost.

Mew: Paralyze it with Gyara or slap Toxic on it. Phaze all day.

Mienshao: Gliscor Protect trolls HJK. Skarm should beat it, too.

Ninetales: lol if you insist, Gyarados beats all Ninetales.

Politoed: Politoed isn't the problem. The problem is his teammates. Politoed is the least of your worries.

Reuniclus: See OP.

Rotom-C: Paralyze with Togekiss and Air Slash to death. Gliscor Toxic is a good thing to hit it with - Leaf Storm fails to KO.

Rotom-W: See above, but beware Hydro Pump.

Salamence: Paralyze him and feed him to Hope. Gyara beats most variants.

Scizor: Skarm beats all variants. Xatu should survive a BP and KO back with Heat Wave. If necessary, Hope has Fire Fang.

Scrafty: Specs him. Skarm beats most variants. Man, screw Scrafty...

Sharpedo: Gyarados beats all Sharpedo.

Smeargle: Xatu trolls him.

Starmie: Togekiss beats most Starmie. Para it (temporarily) and shoot for flinches.

Stoutland: Walled by Gliscor. Poison it or Paralyze it then phaze all day.

Terrakion: Skarm beats him if he's unbanded. Gliscor beats all variants if he comes in safely. Hope EQ if he's unscarfed.

Thundurus-T: See OP

Tornadus: Never seen this guy. Gyara should beat all variants, though, and Tailwind turns are easy to stall out.

Toxicroak: Skarm walls him. Brave Bird if he's unboosted and WW if he's bulking up. Slap on some Specs as a last resort, or Psyshock him with Xatu if he's got no Bulk Ups.

Tyranitar: See OP.

Venusaur: ParaflinchKiss beats him. So does Gyara, who paralyzes him, laughs, and phazes away.

Victini: See OP.

Virizion: Never seen him. I think Skarm Brave Bird should drop him nicely, though...

Volcarona: Hope I managed to bounce SR. If not, Gyara beats all variants.

Standard OU Defensive Threats
Amoonguss: Never seen him.

Blissey: Irritating blob... Depending on what she runs, I can beat her. Wish is the worst - prevent her from Wish Supporting her team with repeated Phazes on the turn she switches out to her teammate. Wish>Protect is fine, idgaf. Aromatherapy is a huge headache. All of them run Seismic Toss which is a relief. She can run SR, in which case bounce the thing. If there are no better recipients for Xatu's Specs, slap them on her. Always try to get 3 stacks of spikes and phaze her all day. Eventually, Skarm Brave Bird, Gliscor EQ or something of Hope will beat her.

Bronzong: This thing still exists? Oh, well, free spikes!

Celebi: See the Offensive threats. If it's lastmon, Toxic will drop it.

Chansey: See Blissey.

Cloyster: Defensive Cloyster...?

Cresselia: Haven't seen one yet... Toxic her. If necessary, PP stall her. Stacking Hope's Moxie boosts is a good way to beat her.

Empoleon: See the Offensive threats.

Espeon: See Offensive threat list

Ferrothorn: Xatu survives Gyro Ball and Power Whip, bounces any hazard and Twave, and OHKOes with Heat Wave.

Forretress: See Ferrothorn. If it comes in one one layer of Spikes, all the better because Sturdy is broken.

Gastrodon: Toxic it - Gliscor survives Scald and doesn't fear being burned. Xatu does 80% with Grass Knot if you suspect it carries SR.

Gliscor: No variant of Gliscor beats Skarmory. Slap Specs onto it if there's no better recipient. If necessary, PP stall him.

Gyarados: I've only ever seen one defensive Gyarados and it's mine.

Heatran: Balloon? No Balloon? EQ him with Gliscor. Gyara beats all variants.

Hippowdon: Xatu Grass Knot or Specs trolls him hard. Skarm also sets up Spikes all over him. Just be careful of SR...

Jellicent: Specs him if there's no better recipient. Gyara beats all variants, Skarm beats most variants and no variant enjoys taking Toxic. If he gets low enough, he's Hope food.

Jirachi: See above.

Latias: See above.

Mew: See above.

Ninetales: Gyara beats all variants.

Politoed: See above

Porygon2: Trick his Eviolite off him and don't let him Trace Poison Heal.

Quagsire: Grass Knot, or trick Specs onto him. He can't touch Gyara or Skarm, anyway.

-Rotom-H: Irritating toaster. Predict around him as possible. If necessary, Kiss beats him one-on-one.

Rotom-W: Kiss beats him one-on-one, usually. Try to get him low, and once he's low, feed him to Hope.

Sableye: Xatu beats all Sableye. Specs him if you have nothing better to Specs. Usually, this will be the case.

Skarmory: Xatu can come in on anything not named Brave Bird and Heat Wave him for a 2hko (BB is 3hko at most)

Slowbro: Dies eventually to Toxic. Often he'll be lastmon.

Starmie: See above.

Tangrowth: I don't think I've ever seen him.

Tentacruel: It's going to try to spin. If it comes in on Skarm, phaze it straightaway. If it comes in on Gliscor, EQ him twice - you survive Scald. If it comes in on Kiss, paralyze it. If it comes in on Gyara, paralyze it then phaze it. If it comes in on Hope, EQ. If it comes in on Xatu, Psyshock. If it comes in with no hazards on your field, phaze it. Specs him if you really want, but Psyshock does a ton already.

Tyranitar: See OP

Vaporeon: Always give this thing Specs.

Venusaur: Stack Spikes with Skarm and phaze it if it's Subseed lacking HP Fire.

Wobbuffet: Quick, what did it come in on? Kiss beats it 1-on-1 because Body Slam does 20% and Air Slash does a lot more. Skarm and Gyara can phaze it. Gliscor beats it with Toxic. Xatu loses unless it comes in on Trick.

Xatu: None of my Pokemon fear Magic Bounce sans Togekiss Twave.

Last edited:
Ah, I remeber the mono bug I rated a few months(or weeks?) ago, maybe the next one is Mono-Electric? But let's get to my rating.

There's many wrong things on Standard [blank] threats, albeit most of them are minor so it's fine.

But there are some dangerous threats to your team you discounted, I'll tell you who and why. There is a color code depending on how dangerous they are(green, orange and red from least to greatest). But before that, I'll tell you why I need to say this: It's because there's nothing I can suggest to your team without greatly impacting you team gameplay, so instead of making team suggestions, I'll tell you why they are dangerous and how to deal with them.

Based on your post, I see you use this team on both mono and regular, this threatlist applies mostly to regular OU, but some of them are common in mono too.

Azelf - Only the Suicide Lead set(and some uncommon combination) can threaten your team. What makes it dangerous is because it carries SR, Taunt and Thunderbolt. The best(and only!) way to deal with this one is via prediction. It's also important to note that only Gliscor and Salamence can keep up with Azelf, so switch-in one if feeling desperate. Some Azelf carry Explosion too just to say more.

Gothitelle - Never seen him*. Because Shadow Tag Gothitelle is always male. It's pretty obvious you never did see him since you don't know what terrors he bring against this team. Unlike the others, all his sets are very threatening. His Choice Specs set is a terror to behold(especially with Modest Nature), he outspeeds most of your team and he will easily snag a kill. While he isn't strong enough to muscle past agaisnt a healthy Togekiss, he has Trick that will make Togekiss almost useless for the rest of the match(and he is still strong enough without Specs). The same also applies to non-choiced attacker set minus the Togekiss part but he might be potentially carrying Twave to paralyze something or Taunt to prevent Spikes and Whirlind from Skarmory or Toxic from Gliscor. His Choice Scarf is the least threatening set he can run, but this set still has merit because he can outspeed even Xatu, and he still has Trick. Finally we go to his last set which is his Calm Mind set. This is also a very dangerous set as he only needs Skarmory out of the way to sweep(he deals a minimum of over 90% against Togekiss). He can easily set-up on Gliscor and Xatu and proceed to sweep, not that he knows Xatu is Specs'd but he knows that he can take all moves Xatu will throw at him, barring U-Turn(and some Xatu's don't carry it, in which he hopes that yours is one of them). This is especially true with the mono-attacking set(Calm Mind, Rest, Reflect and Psyshock) which he has Reflect to help him set-up easier and take less damage from physical attacks. Truly, this is one of the examples how OP Shadow Tag is. If you see him on the team preview, lay down hazards ASAP as this will wear him down. And keep Skarmory alive if you are not yet sure of his set. And remember that Gothitelle is a team support Pokémon which makes him even more scary because it means that he brings brutal sweepers. The best way to deal with him is to weaken him with hazard, after he kills something, send in Togekiss to force him out or Salamence if he is weakend enough. Outrage deals a maximum of 87.9% but this locks Salamence, so be careful.

Landorus-T - The only set Gliscor walls is his Double Booster set since he carries HP Ice a lot, so Gliscor walling Landorus-T is not true. Skarmory will be forced to make a run for their money against the Gravity set, not just Skarmory but everyone on your team will be Intimidated by him(pun intended). Landorus-T is also one of the Pokémon that can set-up rocks and threaten Xatu. You can outpredict sure, but he can just U-Turn out and your prediction is wasted.

Latias - Ooooof... This is the third Psychic-type. Her offensive set can deal damage and immune to Spikes, she could easily wreck havoc once Salamence and Togekiss are gone. Her Dual Screen set isn't that threatening. But why is she so dangerous? This is because of her SubCM set. You can Trick her Ch-. Not really as Latias outspeeds and go for Substitute, unless you're talking about the stupid and overrated 252 HP / 252+ Def set who can't even outspeed Breloom! Or something... Really, there's no way you'll be able to defeat this set, except when Salamence switched-in on a predicted Roost, which is easier said than done because half of your team can't break her Substitutes. So there's that, your team is pretty hopeless against this one. ;-; BUT, you can still win: if they're down to last two and she(Latias) is benched, switch-in Salamence and proceed to Outrage(assuming it's OHKO'd and not faster). Again, easier said than done. That's it, use Togekiss to scout her set and keep Skarmory and Salamence alive as long as she's still around.

Lucario - This guy isn't walled hard as you think, Skarmory takes a painful minimum of 86.26%(with the maximum exceeding 100%) and Gliscor is outright OHKO'd if it carries Ice Punch, Gyarados also takes a minimum of over 57% after Intimidate, that is all achieved after an SD boost. But Lucario has a hard time setting up against this team, so just pressure it to NOT get an SD and you're fine. After all, they didn't call Lucario (one of the) 'hardest sweepers to stop after a boost' for nothing. You're correct about the special or mixed set though.

Politoed - Least of your worries, that's true unless it's the Specs variant, it can 1-2HKO the whole team except Gyarados. One might argue it isn't as strong as Specs Keldeo but Specs Politoed is still very dangerous in it's own right, especially because it is a utility Pokémon and a brutal Wallbreaker in one set. 'Being able to deal with this set is a requirement for OU teams' they said. Definitely not the least of your worries.

Tank Vaporeon - Yep, offensive Vaporeon exists, although uncommon, it is waaay better than that defensive set. I placed this on the threatlist because it's way harder to deal compared to the defensive set. Obviously, Tricking Specs is a stupid idea here, and it's still bulky enough so you can't just revenge kill it that easily. To deal with this one, you need to keep Gyarados or Gliscor alive, you can Trick it Specs if it is the last Pokémon standing, as long as Gyarados or Gliscor is still alive of course, then Gyarados and Gliscor can stall it out, Togekiss can also flinch a tricked Vaporeon in a pinch. It is important to note that most Tank set carry Life Orb which shows no Leftovers recovery. Like SubCM Latias, defeating this is easier said than done.

The closest change on your team I can suggest is Scarf Thundurus-T over Scarf Salamence, but I do not recommend this as there will be almost no way of defeating Latias, although you have a more reliable way of dealing with the likes of opposing Thudurus-T locked in a wrong move, Non-Scarf Keldeo and some more.

Also, Gastrodon cannot learn SR. It's one of the many mistakes in the list.

Last edited:
But there are some dangerous threats to your team you discounted, I'll tell you who and why. There is a color code depending on how dangerous they are(green, orange and red from least to greatest). But before that, I'll tell you why I need to say this: It's because there's nothing I can suggest to your team without greatly impacting you team gameplay, so instead of making team suggestions, I'll tell you why they are dangerous and how to deal with them.
Thanks for the rate! Also, thanks for the compliment about my team synergy =)

Azelf - You're right about Azelf, I'll admit, that troll of a pixie. Xatu makes for a passable switch-in. A smartly played Azelf may well result in me losing two Pokemon, though (although Gliscor walls the Taunt/Explosion/Tbolt/SR set - there's no way I can scout his full set before its job is done)... Thankfully not all that common.

Gothitelle - Thankfully also not all that common. I did a bit of research and you're right, this guy is quite a terror. Hopefully, Skarm will have hazards down already and can try to troll him with Whirlwind. Gliscor probably wins unless it's carrying HP Ice - if this thing comes in on him, I'd protect first to scout for it, and if I saw it, I'd try to stall him out with SubProtect. 252+ Gothitelle outspeeds him - 251 Spe to Gliscor's 244 - so I may run a bit more Speed to troll him... Togekiss can live with Specs. I had to do it once. Ended up sacking the poor sucker, but Specs Roost is pretty hilarious. As long as I click on Air Slash on the Trick it should be fine. Or Body Slam, maybe. Gyarados, on the other hand, will get trolled hard by the Specs. Salamence does a minimum of 75% with Outrage, and +1 Dragon Claw does a minimum of... just over 75%, so yay for Spikes! Xatu does a minimum of 47% with Heat Wave to 0/4, so if it opens with Trick, it's got a nasty surprise (unless it comes in on Grass Knot or Psyshock in which case it still takes 20% minimally and I can feed it to Scarfmence). To be fair, 252+ Specs Thunderbolt does 75-90% in return, but I outspeed.

IMO, the most threatening set would be a Scarf Trick/CM set that isn't on the analysis. It can come in on the right thing, outspeed everything not named Hope, and slap a Scarf on it. From there, CM to +6/+6, and all I can do is hope to OHKO with Salamence Outrage (100% of the time after Spikes).

Landorus-T - Right on the money again. For some reason, I haven't seen a lot of HP Ice Lando - but Skarm should be able to troll him if he doesn't run Gravity, and Gravity Lando is really rare. Gliscor trolls Lando without HP Ice, of course.

Latias - Yeah, now that you mention it... I was going to say **** Latias, but she's one of my favourite Pokemon ever, actually, so no. Still, you're right on the money about the SubCM set. Last time I beat her, I did it by phazing her all day - Skarm can take an unboosted or +1 Dragon Pulse or two, and Roost it off - and eventually she became collateral damage. That's probably my best bet against SubCM. By the way, that 252/252+ Physically Defensive set is more common than you think lol... In other words, against SubCM Latias, my win condition is Skarm + Salamence and a bunch of Moxie boosts.

Lucario - This guy isn't walled hard as you think, Skarmory takes a painful minimum of 86.26%(with the maximum exceeding 100%) and Gliscor is outright OHKO'd if it carries Ice Punch, Gyarados also takes a minimum of over 57% after Intimidate, that is all achieved after an SD boost. But Lucario has a hard time setting up against this team, so just pressure it to NOT get an SD and you're fine. After all, they didn't call Lucario (one of the) 'hardest sweepers to stop after a boost' for nothing. You're correct about the special or mixed set though.

Politoed - I agree completely on every point except the first. Against a Rain team, Politoed certainly is the least of my worries. And yes, I know it does tons to every member not named Gyarados... I lose really, really badly against a well-built, well-played Rain team. Gyarados can paralyze SpecsToed and phaze him, and I can try to kill him through Spikes. Hopefully Salamence can come in and clean him up after that.

Tank Vaporeon - I'm gonna slap Specs onto it anyway - that will prevent it from Resting at will. Sure, it can come in, Rest up and switch out, but that's not something I'm too scared of, honestly, and Gyarados theoretically walls him completely, even after Specs. You're not wrong about Togekiss, either, but I'm not sure how Gliscor beats Offensive Vaporeon...?

Also, Gastrodon cannot learn SR. It's one of the many mistakes in the list.
Xatu is still a good answer to Gastro ^.^ It does 80% with Grass Knot.

This was a really useful response - thanks again!

Anyway, I forgot to congratulate you for making such a good team. Stall is my favorite and it's really hard to make a stall in Gen V, especially if mono, but you actually made an excellent one, this is one of the best mono types I have seen tbh, mono teams tend to have a lot of shortcomings. ;.;

About the offensive Vaporeon one, Gliscor can outstall it with Protect + Subsitute á la trolololol(after specsing it).

EDIT: Yes, Gravity Lando and Gothitelle is uncommon, the only person I know who use them is me which is pretty disappointing lol

Last edited:

Storm (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure (where is my LightningroDos?)
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Toxic/Thunder Wave
- Heat Wave/HP Ice

Perhaps over the Togekiss? SDf Zapdos isn't quite as bulky, but between Zapdos and Gyarados, I have an Ice neutrality and an Electric neutrality. I don't know, it might be useful; I'm going to go test this. What do you think?

EDIT, I'm thinking Tbolt/Roost/Toxic/HP Ice will let me beat Thundy-T reliably. OK, not really reliably, but I'd be guaranteed a win if I come in safe by clicking Toxic>Roost. Sure, Togekiss beats Thundy-T outright sometimes, but Zapdos would be a more reliable answer (although it never quite hits that chance of beating Thundy outright).

Scanning through my threatlist, I'm thinking Alakazam, Rotom-C and Starmie might become bigger threats; on the other hand, I might have a slightly easier time dealing with rain teams with Zapdos.

Last edited:
Zapdos fits well to check those specific threats but you will have more trouble with strong Special Attackers, especially HYDRO MISS spam teams, and if they have Rotom-W, no one is safe from your team. While Zapdos can definitely threaten them offensively, you're team will be too hard-pressed to keep up with the onslaught defensively, the burden will be too heavy for Gyarados and the less bulky Zapdos... unless they missed(which is bound to happen lol).

Salamece can revenge kill but it's 1 for 1 sacrifice with you in the backseat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)