Fletchinder & Friends!

So, I am posting my first RMT here. And I am wondering what to do to make this team better. I've been out of the "smogon" meta for quite some time and I've been just casually playing but I wanna get back into playing competitive cause I miss playing that way haha.

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

I've been hearing how amazing Fletchinder is amazing in RU so I wanted to use it for my own to see how it's used and I can agree Fletch is pretty amazing in RU cause of Gale Wings + Acrobatics it usually does a huge amount to generally most of the RU tier with a Swords Dance up. I use WoW to burn people to try and cripple switchin into Fletchinder for extra damage per turn.

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flash Cannon

Next, I wanted something to hit super hard. And Magneton is just the mon for this job nothing really wants to switch in into a Specs + Analytic boosted attack coming from Magneton in this tier as a whole. I also like how Magneton can effectively 2HKO most if not all the RU tier with it's attacks which is great. I wanted to run speed instead of HP to creep up on some mons in the tier I do debate on taking the speed off and just putting it into HP.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast

Rhyperior is here to be my defensive tank, and to set up hazards. I decided to run Dragon Tail to try and hurt other pokemon when they get drawn in by the move potentially breaking sashes, or just getting pokemon low enough for Magneton, Fletchinder, or Hoopa can respectively come in and kill them.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Blastoise is here to be my special tank to come in on attacks. I decided to flip it around cause usually Rhyperior is usually more so into SDEF while Blastoise is usually on DEF I thought the idea would work better and Rhyperior does have the Solid Rock to help him tank those attacks even better.

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

I went with Virizon as my setup cleaner for the team so far he has been effective in cleaning up most of the weakened mons on the teams that I have battled. I went with Lum Berry as opposed to Life Orb cause Virizon can't really clean house without a SD up so with a Lum if I can get up a SD I wouldn't be ruined all the way if I was burned by scald, or paralyzed and etc. The set is pretty simple with dual STAB, and Stone Edge for coverage.

Hoopa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Hole
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast

Hoopa is my revenge killer. I debated on going LO so I could clean up more easily but I felt his speed isn't enough to just run house like I would've hoped. 262 max isn't enough to do what it needs to do and that's deal massive damage and get out. I decided Knock Off as a extra measure to disrupt other mons or use it as a latch ditch effort to allow the next pokemon to come in and deal with it easier. The rest of the set is pretty standard really.

I guess that is all, I'm unsure what to add to make this team better. I feel like it's good on essence, but I cannot seem to get the delivery correct. Is there something needed to fix this team?

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pretty nice first RMT, looks pretty well constructed but some sets definitely need some optimization. I will do my best to lend you a hand and improve it.

First, you definitely need all the attack you can get on Fletchinder cause without it, even at +2 it can be pretty weak without the attack investment. Since I like the speed investment, I would keep a considerable amount of those evs in speed. 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe Adamant Nature is the EV spread I would recommend given that fletchinder needs the adamant nature to be threatening in the end game. The speed also allows you to outprioritize Adamant Absol Sucker Punch if needed.

Regarding Rhyperior and Blastoise tho, I would say investing on Rhyperior physical Defense is pretty inefficient given it already has a huge Physically Defensive stat to pivot into many physical attackers, and as much as I like Spdef Blastoise myself I think Sneasel is far too opressive for this build and it definitely needs some sort of cushion against it. Given that I would make Rhyperior an Spdef Tank and Blastoise and Phys Def Tank. 252 HP / 160 SpDef / 96 Spe Careful Nature on Rhyperior with Ice Punch over Dragon Tail and 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe Bold Nature with Refresh over Ice Beam on Blastoise.

Ice Punch on Rhyperior would allow you to hit Flygon and remove them with ease, allowing you to keep your Stealth Rock throughout the match, the Speed works against Pokemon like Registeel, which you 2hko easily and you outspeed max speed mega camerupt which can be a problem. Refresh on Blastoise would give a way to play around status inducers like Alomomola so you arent forced to go into Virizion all the time, potentially risking the lum berry and then you wont be able to set up on it later in the match. The speed on Blastoise lets you cover Adamant Aggron which, while uncommon, could relieve some pressure from it.

Last but not less important, I would go for a more reliable Psychic move on Hoopa. Hyperspace Hole has a purpose on wallbreaking sets but on a scarf set you should focus more on reliably revenge killing the intended targets. Psyshock over Hyperspace Hole would be the better change since you would reliably revenge kill Virizion with it.

Rest looks pretty fine, really digging the knock off scarf hoopa there :oo
Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Refresh
- Scald
- Toxic

Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Hi, nice team and I agree with all the changes Aldo made above and I have a few more additional changes to help improve the makeup of this team.

Fletch / Magneton / Rhyperior / Blastoise / Virizion / Hoopa

Because of the prominence of Dugtrio and how it traps 3 Pokemon on your team, (EQ on Magneton, Aerial Ace on Virizion, Sucker Punch on Hoopa) I believe Magneton with Sturdy would improve the effectiveness of this team as it would be able to KO dugtrio if it attempts to trap it. Sturdy Magneton also assists with opposing Fighting-types like Hitmonlee and Medicham as Hoopa usually cannot switch into their secondary STAB without taking a lot of Damage, or simply coverage moves like Knock Off, while your secondary check Fletchinder is very frail.

Along with Aldo saying Psyshock over Hyperspace Hole on Hoopa, I believe that Trick over Knock Off on Hoopa will be much more beneficial. Trick is always beneficial in regards to choice locked Pokemon allowing them to gain a different item when they don't need the Speed, or simply crippling another wall like Alomomola / Registeel with choice scarf for the entirety of the game. Knock Off on Regular Hoopa is a better choice because it isn't locked into that move, but instead has the freedom to switch. A choice locked Knock Off Hoopa is in a bad place because Pokemon like Virizion can set up on it, it can be Pursuit trapped etc. Because of this you can change Hoopa to Timid nature because of no Physical based moves.

Don't have much more to add, Aldo had really good suggestions, and good luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)