first sun team

So i was intrigued by weather teams, and ended up picking sun teams.
I started out with a torkoal, as sunny day setter:

Torkoal (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Burning Jealousy

After that I added the two pokemon that benefit the most from the sun according to the internet: charizard and venusaur

Charizard @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb

After this I had a really hard time figuring out which pokemon to use. I knew I needed an electric type for coverage so I chose heliolisk, since it had access to solar power and because I really like the pokemon itself:)

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Volt Switch

after that I just looked at strong team members that could cover weaknesses, so I chose garchomp:

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Scale Shot

I was completely lost on this last spot, so I ended up choosing corviknight as a pivot hazard remover:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

this is the first competitive team i made, and i would love to use it. but I'm not entirely sure yet, so any advise is appreciated.

This team isn’t bad per say but there are definitely some changes I would make (also weather is such a fun arechtype you should definitely continue to explore it

Torcoal- your set isn’t bad but whenever I make a sun team I always give Torcoal heavy duty boots (I just like having the longevity of sun without Torcoal taking 25% from stealth rock but heat rock is fine)

the set I would run would be bodypress, stealthrock, you can run rapidspin but there are better Pokémon who can remove spikes/rocks
(like the corvinkight you have) fireblast, and stone edge (it’s a weird set I know but Torcoal is mainly here to set up sun and rocks) and max health/defense EVs

charizard- as you said in the post charizard can be good in sun but it’s very easily outclassed I would change it to heatran (just look up heatran sets if you want a trapper sun magma storm with leftovers/air balloon or my weird set with scarf eruption, flash cannon, earthpower, and fire blast)

Venusaur- it can actually be decent in sun with chlorophyl sleep powder, weatherball, sludgebomb, and earthpower/gigadrain (black sludge as item)

Heliosk - I noticed you wanted an electric type and heliosik definitely is one but in the current meta specs dragapult is very good and can run a very powerful thunderbolt and draco meteor (better dragon pulse) shadow ball and flamethrower (boosted in sun)

garchomp- garchomp is good in the current meta but you don’t have an electric type if you change helioisk to dragapult and since you still need a water resist I think storm drain gastradon would be a good fit with ice beam, weather ball, earthpower, and recover.

Corviknight- it is a good Pokémon you could change it to a life orb kartana set but if you don’t want to the team still should be fine :)

(also I’m no competitive Pokémon pro so take everything I say with a grain of salt)

Last edited:
This team isn’t bad per say but there are definitely some changes I would make (also weather is such a fun arechtype you should definitely continue to explore it

Torcoal- your set isn’t bad but whenever I make a sun team I always give Torcoal heavy duty boots (I just like having the longevity of sun without Torcoal taking 25% from stealth rock but heat rock is fine)

the set I would run would be bodypress, stealthrock, you can run rapidspin but there are better Pokémon who can remove spikes/rocks
(like the corvinkight you have) fireblast, and stone edge (it’s a weird set I know but Torcoal is mainly here to set up sun and rocks) and max health/defense EVs

charizard- as you said in the post charizard can be good in sun but it’s very easily outclassed I would change it to heatran (just look up heatran sets if you want a trapper sun magma storm with leftovers/air balloon or my weird set with scarf eruption, flash cannon, earthpower, and fire blast)

Venusaur- it can actually be decent in sun with chlorophyl sleep powder, weatherball, sludgebomb, and earthpower/gigadrain (black sludge as item)

Heliosk - I noticed you wanted an electric type and heliosik definitely is one but in the current meta specs dragapult is very good and can run a very powerful thunderbolt and draco meteor (better dragon pulse) shadow ball and flamethrower (boosted in sun)

garchomp- garchomp is good in the current meta but you don’t have an electric type if you change helioisk to dragapult and since you still need a water resist I think storm drain gastradon would be a good fit with ice beam, weather ball, earthpower, and recover.

Corviknight- it is a good Pokémon you could change it to a life orb kartana set but if you don’t want to the team still should be fine :)

(also I’m no vgc pro so take everything I say with a grain of salt)
This isn't VGC

Fancy1, this isn't a vgc team. Burning jealousy could work on a lead lando if that's how it even works, but lava plume is better for burns, and eruption is better for damage. No reason for burning jealousy. Heliolisk has acess to weather ball and hyper voice, which would work better over dark and dragon pulse.

So i was intrigued by weather teams, and ended up picking sun teams.
I started out with a torkoal, as sunny day setter:

Torkoal (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Burning Jealousy

After that I added the two pokemon that benefit the most from the sun according to the internet: charizard and venusaur

Charizard @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb

After this I had a really hard time figuring out which pokemon to use. I knew I needed an electric type for coverage so I chose heliolisk, since it had access to solar power and because I really like the pokemon itself:)

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Volt Switch

after that I just looked at strong team members that could cover weaknesses, so I chose garchomp:

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Scale Shot

I was completely lost on this last spot, so I ended up choosing corviknight as a pivot hazard remover:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

this is the first competitive team i made, and i would love to use it. but I'm not entirely sure yet, so any advise is appreciated.
please provide a 3-4 line explanation about each member of your team and their role

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)