First OU team

I got into competitive battling this year and I have been trying to make a decent team for a few weeks now. I didn't want to make a standard team so I used something most people don't see, Kyurem-B. I made this team around mixed Kyurem-B and its doing pretty well actually. I'm winning about every 3/5 or 2/3 games with it. (This is my first post so don't be too harsh if I'm not doing this right)
Team

Tornadus
@ Flying Gem
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Tailwind
- Taunt
Tornadus's main goal is to set up tailwind for Kyurem to sweep. Its got prankster so setting it up isn't the challenge. Finding a time to switch it in is. So far, I haven't found any use for taunt and tailwind has had light use. STAB Acrobatics + Flying Gem with 252 Atk hits anything, that's not resistant, hard. Superpower is for coverage and more power. I gave it Jolly because I don't need anything out-speeding it to ruin the game.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Heatran is basically right off of Smogon and does a damn good job. Its a special attacker and has great type synergy with Celebi. It walls other heatran without an Air Balloon and it's great at dealing with sun teams. There's not really much else to say except that I'm thinking of making it more defensive to help out Celebi.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Recover
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Specially Defensive Celebi is a real pain for some unequipped teams to deal with. T-wave is to help slow the other team down enough for Kyurem-B to come in and sweep. Psychic, Recover, and U-turn are all pretty standard but I chose psychic over Giga Drain to help deal with Fighting types that would otherwise destroy Kyurem-B.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Earth Power

Kyurem-B is an absolute monster when its forcing switches and can tank a resisted hit if needed. I'm aware that there are better Dragon types, but Kyurem-B just has such huge attacking power. Fusion Bolt and Outrage are to deal with specially defensive mons and Ice Beam and Earth Power are to hit physical mons. The only thing that gets me, about Kyurem-B, is that there aren't enough EVs to give him. Other than that, once tailwind is up, he sweeps fairly easily.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Psychic/Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Starmie is my rapid spinner of choice and actually does a great job revenge killing. I gave it Max Speed and Timid so almost nothing (that isn't Scarfed) can out speed it. Surf over Hydro Pump because Starmie cant afford to miss and get OHKOed. Psychic and Thunderbolt are interchangeable (depending on the past few teams I've seen) and Ice Beam is for coverage.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch

Metagross is the slowest mon on my team by far and actually hasn't been putting in as much work as I'd like to see from someone with base 135 Atk. He's constantly in bad mach-ups and I'm not really sure what to do about it. Anyway, its a CB 252 Atk set with Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch, Hammer Arm, and Thunder Punch. I've been struggling with the last spot on a lot of teams and I figured that another attacker couldn't hurt.

Problems
I've run into a few major problems for my team. One is Scarfed Landorus-T. It out-speeds everything on my team handily and all I can do is try to predict it correctly. Another problem I've recently faced is Cresselia. It was taking minimal damage from most of my team and toxicing most of them. My last problem is my last slot, Metagross. Metagross has never won me any games and usually doesnt do much more than get one mon to 50%. Am I doing something wrong, or does metagross not fit my team?

Basically, you need a Scarfer, if nothing else to deal with opposing Scarfers and to revenge kill. Since you have issues with Landorus, maybe this would help:

Rotom-w @ Choice Scarf

- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Trick

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe

(Feel free to play around with actual different moves)

With a bit of prediction, you can switch in to Lando as he locks himself onto Earthquake, force him out, and Volt Switch to maintain momentum. However more often than not he will just be spamming U-turn. There isn't much you can do about that, really, U-turn is annoying.

As for Cresselia, how can it even spread poison that effectively when you have 2 steel-types and 2 Pokemon with natural cure? Heatran hard counters it (like it does to everything on sun teams apart from EQ venusaur), and it's not like it's terribly common anyway. And yeah I think more bulk and Leftovers instead of Air Balloon (and maybe Roar, idk, racking up SR damage will make Kyu-B's job easier) is probably good - I really don't like Air Balloon as it means you can't even switch in on weak resisted hits without paying dearly.

Thanks for the help. I replaced metagross with scarfed Rotom-W and its really been helping. I also changed Heatran to a specially defensive set with roar and stealth rocks. So far I've gone 7-3 with the new pokes.

Also, should I change Psychic to Giga Drain on Celebi? I don't have any grass moves on my team so Gastrodon and Swampert have been a bit annoying.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hi, nice team.

This is a pretty cool team with Tornadus-I setting up Tailwind in order for the always threatening mixed Kyurem-B to attempt a sweep, with Metagross trying to be the cleanup for what Kyurem-B can KO. I do however, see some flaws in this team that prevent it from being successful, so my rate will cover most of those flaws & help your team become even more successful than it is right now. Now, looking at your team, I see a weakness to Offensive SD Scizor & Swords Dance Lucario. Scizor can set up a Swords Dance on Celebi & Metagross locked into an undesirable move & pretty much destroy your whole team with Bug Bite, Superpower, & Bullet Punch. Albeit it can't outrun Heatran, it's pretty much your only way of stopping him. Meanwhile, Swords Dance Lucario, especially variants with Ice Punch, hurt your team a lot. Now, while Lucario may not have many opportunities to set up, it practically defeats your entire team with Close Combat, Extremespeed, & Ice Punch, so if it can get a Swords Dance off a switch, it's pretty much good game for your team. My suggestion to remedy both of these problems would to switch your Metagross (Or Rotom-W) with a Choice Scarf Jirachi. Choice Scarf Jirachi makes a fantastic addition to your team, as it checks the after-mentioned threats of Scizor & Lucario, while also playing a tiny support role with Healing Wish. Now, I still see some things that I can nitpick at. On Celebi, I suggest running Baton Pass over U-Turn. Baton Pass helps Celebi escape Pursuit users without taking any damage. With Baton Pass, Finally, On Starmie, I would suggest running Analytic over Natural Cure. Now, it may seem weird to use Analytic (Which powers up moves when you go last) on a Pokémon with such high speed as Starmie, but the catch is that it works on switch, allowing you to get good damage on opposing Celebi switching, while 2HKOing Max HP Latias. If you do go with Analytic on Starmie, I suggest running Life Orb over your current choice of Leftovers. Life Orb + Analytic boosted moves makes Starmie a hard member to switch in to, while also giving you a solid wallbreaker. Otherwise, cool team man, hope I helped. Good luck!

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

Metagross
-----------------------------------------> Choice Scarf Jirachi

Celebi
: U-Turn -> Baton Pass

Starmie
:
Natural Cure -> Analytic
Leftovers -> Life Orb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)