ORAS NU First Ever NU RMT

Okay I've recently decided to start playing pokemon again(Haven't played since gen4 HGSS) and im still trying to get used to this current gen. I mostly played OU back then but i decided to start off this gen playing NU. I have recently discovered that i completely suck at teambuilding thus far in this gen. I get a decent amount of wins but once i play somebody that halfway knows what theyre doing i just get obliterated. Im posting the most recent team ive been playing with for the past few days. Any and all criticism is welcome(as long as its constructive). I dont mind changing moves, ev spreads, natures or even completely swapping team members just as long as you explain the reasoning behind it. Everyones help is appreciated greatly.

Muk @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Nature: Careful
- Curse
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Sneak
Muk is meant to be my special wall. Poison typing carries a lot of resists with only 2 weaknesses which is a big reason i chose muk. Poison touch increases the potency of poison jab. If i can get a few curses up muk also becomes a defensive wall of sorts too and increasing his attack in the process. ice punch is sort of filler since i didnt know another move to use and i always find ice as good coverage to have. Shadow sneak is being used for priority while also being able to hurt psychic types a bit if i predict a switch. EVs are there to max out his walling potential.

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Nature: Careful
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Psycho Cut
- Hypnosis
Malamar is here for that great psychic immunity he haswhich allows him to switch into predicted psychic moves aimed at Muk. If i can get a hypnosis off i can usually get off a few superpowers granted the opponent doesnt have a ghost mon still in play. Knock off is there to cripple choice users as well as eviolite users and lefty mons without other healing support, STAB also doesnt hurt. Psycho Cut is for STAB and that critical hit chance is always good. After the defense and attack boosts Malamar becomes a pretty big threat thats gonna be difficult to take down. EVs are taken from the resttalk set on smogon.

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- HP Grass
Lanturn is my special attacker(also pretty decent pivot with volt switch). Hydro Pump is for for stab/ predicting a ground switch. Scald is there for the burn chance which could help in certain situations seeing as how i lack a burn user. volt switch is for the free switch and a stab switch is nice. HP Grass is there for coverage. Standard Smogon EVs for the Specs set.

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 AtK / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Stealth Rock
Pretty Solid tank. Adds another electric resist. Wood Hammer and EQ are Standard for STAB and provide solid coverage. Synthesis is used to heal off the wood hammer recoil. Stealth Rock because well everybody appreciates rocks. Torterra is also pretty reliable at getting them up as i can switch him into a mon that generally cant hurt him and get them set. I also considered a rock polish set but in the end i liked a bulkier set better. EVs are there for dishing out maximum damage and tanking as many hits as possible.

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Timid
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
My swift hitter. Magmortars moveset pretty much covers everything. Fireblast for STAB although i really dont like the lack of accuracy. Focus Blast and Psychic are there for situational coverage. Doesnt hurt to have either. Didnt think any other moves would have helped me more. Thunderbolt is for unsuspecting water mons that think they can switch in. EVs are there to outspeed no matter what and to pack the biggest punch.

Lickylicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Impish
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam
- Heal bell
Probably the member of my team im most willing to replace. Pretty much only there to take some physical hits. His main purpose was to be a cleric but i never get the chance to really use him for that. Always gets taken down too early or it seems that way. body slams there for the STAB and paralysis chance. We allknow the wish/protect combo and heal bell is to remove status. EVs are for max physical wall capabilities.

Thank you in advance to whoever helps with this. It took me almost an hour to make so i would appreciate any and all feedback/advice. just trying to become a better player.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I moved this to the ORAS other teams RMT forum ImFLasheZ this is where you can post RMTs for various tiers. Feel free to come back to the NU forum to discuss your favorite NU Pokemon though!

Don't have time to give a rate right now, but I'm sure up and coming rater Can-Eh-Dian will be more than happy to do so.

I moved this to the ORAS other teams RMT forum ImFLasheZ this is where you can post RMTs for various tiers. Feel free to come back to the NU forum to discuss your favorite NU Pokemon though!

Don't have time to give a rate right now, but I'm sure up and coming rater Can-Eh-Dian will be more than happy to do so.
thank you and sorry i thought i was in the RMT section lol

Just looking at your team briefly I can see you obviously like a team that can dish out damage and can also take a hit if they need to. So I will keep this in mind with my recommendations.

Your team is actually quite solid, although i definitely spot a few quirks. One thing I noticed immediately was the lack of things for Normal spam. If a zangoose comes in and activates its toxic orb you are choosing something to sack. You have a decent ground weakness and I could see how you could have some issues with Sleep powder sweepers.

I'd replace Muk with Garbodor. Garbodor works well with malamar has it punishes U-Turners with its rocky helmet and is a great hazard setter.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Toxic Spikes

I don't know how much success you have actually had with hypnosis Malamar but Hypnosis is way to inconsistent with only 60% accuracy. I'd either run your conventional sleep talk set or a bit more unorthodox scarf set.

Malamar @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Malamar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Psycho Cut
- Switcheroo

To help you deal with sleep powder sweepers better I would change the Magmortar set to AV with vital spirit.

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]

And I would ditch Lickilicky to be honest. You could replace it with a huge number of things although I would replace it with something that helps alleviate your ground weakness. If you decide to keep Lickilicky though change its EV spread. You should never run physically defensive lickilicky always go special.

I really like your team though it looks fun.

Just looking at your team briefly I can see you obviously like a team that can dish out damage and can also take a hit if they need to. So I will keep this in mind with my recommendations.

Your team is actually quite solid, although i definitely spot a few quirks. One thing I noticed immediately was the lack of things for Normal spam. If a zangoose comes in and activates its toxic orb you are choosing something to sack. You have a decent ground weakness and I could see how you could have some issues with Sleep powder sweepers.

I'd replace Muk with Garbodor. Garbodor works well with malamar has it punishes U-Turners with its rocky helmet and is a great hazard setter.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Toxic Spikes

I don't know how much success you have actually had with hypnosis Malamar but Hypnosis is way to inconsistent with only 60% accuracy. I'd either run your conventional sleep talk set or a bit more unorthodox scarf set.

Malamar @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Malamar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Psycho Cut
- Switcheroo

To help you deal with sleep powder sweepers better I would change the Magmortar set to AV with vital spirit.

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]

And I would ditch Lickilicky to be honest. You could replace it with a huge number of things although I would replace it with something that helps alleviate your ground weakness. If you decide to keep Lickilicky though change its EV spread. You should never run physically defensive lickilicky always go special.

I really like your team though it looks fun.

Thank you for the input. I'll definitely be testing out garbodor over muk to see which i like better. Hypnosis has been fairly inconsistent so maybe its worth trying the scarfed set. The Magmortar AV suggestion is awesome as i have been hurt by sleep powder a few times. Honestly lickylicky hasnt done much for me. Is their anything you'd suggest replacing him with?

Thank you for the input. I'll definitely be testing out garbodor over muk to see which i like better. Hypnosis has been fairly inconsistent so maybe its worth trying the scarfed set. The Magmortar AV suggestion is awesome as i have been hurt by sleep powder a few times. Honestly lickylicky hasnt done much for me. Is their anything you'd suggest replacing him with?
Looking at your team, you only have garbodor ATM to deal with fighting type pokemon. So to add a bit more mind games for whenever sawk tries to click eq predicting the garbodor, I would suggest running a scarf rotom-n set. This would also clash with your malamar set and since malamar is best used imo as a specially defensive restalk varient I would suggest malamar scarf----> Sp Def Restalk varient like KnightK mentioned as well as swapping Lickilicky -----> Scarf Rotom. Looking at your team, it has pretty much flawless synergy with all of them not to.mention its utility in killing smashpass byss and being in the middle of a great speed tier.

Set:
Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Gl with the new team, hope its a great success.

Looking at your team, you only have garbodor ATM to deal with fighting type pokemon. So to add a bit more mind games for whenever sawk tries to click eq predicting the garbodor, I would suggest running a scarf rotom-n set. This would also clash with your malamar set and since malamar is best used imo as a specially defensive restalk varient I would suggest malamar scarf----> Sp Def Restalk varient like KnightK mentioned as well as swapping Lickilicky -----> Scarf Rotom. Looking at your team, it has pretty much flawless synergy with all of them not to.mention its utility in killing smashpass byss and being in the middle of a great speed tier.

Set:
Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Gl with the new team, hope its a great success.
Thank you that sounds like a good idea. Ive been using Xatu in place of lickylicky and I realize now how much i needed a ground immunity. I guess now Malamar can eat sleep if i use the RestTalk variant. Does that mean i should still run vital Spirit on magmortar or should i switch the set around? Btw if anybody can list threats for me. Thats one thing im not so good at, hence why i didnt add a threat list.

Thank you that sounds like a good idea. Ive been using Xatu in place of lickylicky and I realize now how much i needed a ground immunity. I guess now Malamar can eat sleep if i use the RestTalk variant. Does that mean i should still run vital Spirit on magmortar or should i switch the set around? Btw if anybody can list threats for me. Thats one thing im not so good at, hence why i didnt add a threat list.
Yeah you should definitely keep vital spirit. Induced sleep (through sleep powder) and resting sleep (constant 2 turns of sleep, wake up on the third) are completely different and unpredictable. The likes of lilligant abuse this fact to a great extent so I wouldn't reccomend using malamar as a "sleep fodder." Magmortar is not only good sleep fodder but its an offensive switch in for the likes of lilligant and exeggutor which put things to sleep, forcing switches, taking hazards, breaking balance etc etc. Either way, flame body is also quite scumbaggy if you are ethical and all :3

Yeah you should definitely keep vital spirit. Induced sleep (through sleep powder) and resting sleep (constant 2 turns of sleep, wake up on the third) are completely different and unpredictable. The likes of lilligant abuse this fact to a great extent so I wouldn't reccomend using malamar as a "sleep fodder." Magmortar is not only good sleep fodder but its an offensive switch in for the likes of lilligant and exeggutor which put things to sleep, forcing switches, taking hazards, breaking balance etc etc. Either way, flame body is also quite scumbaggy if you are ethical and all :3
Okay thanks. Very well explained. Ill begin testing this team right away. Do you see any major threats to my team?

A Sp Def Malamar itself looks like a huge threat to your team, you have nothing with bug coverage so by nature you will be weak to it.
The best way to play around it would be by probably going straight into Rotom on the superpower and attempting to trick it a choice scarf to minimise the amount it can boost etc play around it

You also don't have a pure switch in for mega Camerupt, it causes way too many 50/50s for my own liking. So I would play aggressively around it, doubling into specs lanturn as much as possible, making it known you aren't afraid to ko before volt switching and maintaining your momentum.

Otherwise, there aren't many pokemon in the tier you seem really really weak to. Sneasel can be a problem if garbodor is gone but that's nothing a bit of long term thinking can't help.

A Sp Def Malamar itself looks like a huge threat to your team, you have nothing with bug coverage so by nature you will be weak to it.
The best way to play around it would be by probably going straight into Rotom on the superpower and attempting to trick it a choice scarf to minimise the amount it can boost etc play around it

You also don't have a pure switch in for mega Camerupt, it causes way too many 50/50s for my own liking. So I would play aggressively around it, doubling into specs lanturn as much as possible, making it known you aren't afraid to ko before volt switching and maintaining your momentum.

Otherwise, there aren't many pokemon in the tier you seem really really weak to. Sneasel can be a problem if garbodor is gone but that's nothing a bit of long term thinking can't help.
Okay thanks. You have been extremely helpful. Hopefully i can get some wins and improve my team building from here on out. Ill be updating this after tongiht with some results of how this new team works.

HJAD I've been playing some PS with some pretty good results. I've actually only had trouble with other Malamars( just as you said i would:/) I cant rely on rotom to combat this by himself. Are their any other checks or counters that you believe would fit in on my team?

HJAD I've been playing some PS with some pretty good results. I've actually only had trouble with other Malamars( just as you said i would:/) I cant rely on rotom to combat this by himself. Are their any other checks or counters that you believe would fit in on my team?
You can use a defensive torterra with rose to phaze it out, seems like a decent swap. Just be wary of last poke malamar, so I would reccomend keeping Rotom alive so you can trick it a scarf when malamar is the last Mon on the opponents team alive. Besides roar on Terra, you could try a signal beam psychic like Colbur mes with rocks. But I wouldn't reccomend that as that puts loads of pressure on lanturn to do its job doubly well.

HJAD Thanks i think im going to try out the first suggestion. Seems like the better option. I still keep my team intact. Just swap sets. Thanks a lot for all your help man.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You can also run Signal Beam on Lanturn to help combat Malamar. Specs Signal Beam has a 31% chance to kill SpDef Malamar from full, and it's a guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock damage. I'd also run a tad bit more Speed to make sure you outrun SpDef Malamar. Your EV spread is already faster than uninvested Malamar, but plenty of people will run some creep, and the spread on the analysis ties with your Lanturn spread.

Garbodor / Malamar / Lanturn / Xatu / Magmortar / Torterra

As for the rest of your team, I'm not entirely sure what it looks like right now. The above is what I currently understand it to be. If that's the case, you're very weak to Earthquake Archeops, as your only pivots into an Acrobatics die to an Earthquake immediately afterwards, and Garbodor won't even cause Rocky Helmet + Aftermath recoil when dying to Earthquake. You also don't have anything to outspeed Archeops unless your Magmortar is still Scarf, and even if it is, it's really easy for your opponent to pivot around a Scarf non-STAB Thunderbolt. Scarf Rotom, as HJAD suggested, is a fine option to help against Archeops. It can only switch directly into Archeops's Acrobatics once and can't switch in on a Stone Edge, so you'll still have to be careful around it if you go this route. If you want to use Rotom, I'd replace Xatu with it and use Assault Vest Magmortar, as HJAD suggested.

Another option to help combat Archeops would be running Rhydon over Torterra. Archeops's Earthquake doesn't do a ton to Rhydon because of its spectacular physical bulk, so it only really fears the rare Aqua Tail Archeops, which doesn't handle Garbodor or Lanturn quite as well and doesn't even OHKO Rhydon. In general, having a more dedicated Flying and Normal resist would be good for your team, as it's also pretty weak to the more rare Specs Swellow as well as Tauros.

You can also run Signal Beam on Lanturn to help combat Malamar. Specs Signal Beam has a 31% chance to kill SpDef Malamar from full, and it's a guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock damage. I'd also run a tad bit more Speed to make sure you outrun SpDef Malamar. Your EV spread is already faster than uninvested Malamar, but plenty of people will run some creep, and the spread on the analysis ties with your Lanturn spread.

Garbodor / Malamar / Lanturn / Xatu / Magmortar / Torterra

As for the rest of your team, I'm not entirely sure what it looks like right now. The above is what I currently understand it to be. If that's the case, you're very weak to Earthquake Archeops, as your only pivots into an Acrobatics die to an Earthquake immediately afterwards, and Garbodor won't even cause Rocky Helmet + Aftermath recoil when dying to Earthquake. You also don't have anything to outspeed Archeops unless your Magmortar is still Scarf, and even if it is, it's really easy for your opponent to pivot around a Scarf non-STAB Thunderbolt. Scarf Rotom, as HJAD suggested, is a fine option to help against Archeops. It can only switch directly into Archeops's Acrobatics once and can't switch in on a Stone Edge, so you'll still have to be careful around it if you go this route. If you want to use Rotom, I'd replace Xatu with it and use Assault Vest Magmortar, as HJAD suggested.

Another option to help combat Archeops would be running Rhydon over Torterra. Archeops's Earthquake doesn't do a ton to Rhydon because of its spectacular physical bulk, so it only really fears the rare Aqua Tail Archeops, which doesn't handle Garbodor or Lanturn quite as well and doesn't even OHKO Rhydon. In general, having a more dedicated Flying and Normal resist would be good for your team, as it's also pretty weak to the more rare Specs Swellow as well as Tauros.
Okay sorry i havent updated the team yet. Ill get to that when i have some time. THe current team is....
Garbodor / Malamar / Lanturn / Rotom / Magmortar / Torterra

Im not completely against swapping out torterra for a rhydon but are their any negatives to swapping out torterra for rhydon?

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
uhh really strong grass stab is cool on something that can beat bulky poisons other than weezing, but that's more of a nice-to-have thing than it is need-to-have-to-not-get-owned-by-archeops thing. with rotom, rhydon isn't quite as necessary, but I'd still recommend at least testing it to see how you like it. torterra doesn't really add anything to your team.

uhh really strong grass stab is cool on something that can beat bulky poisons other than weezing, but that's more of a nice-to-have thing than it is need-to-have-to-not-get-owned-by-archeops thing. with rotom, rhydon isn't quite as necessary, but I'd still recommend at least testing it to see how you like it. torterra doesn't really add anything to your team.
Okay thanks. I'll definitely try that out.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
Rhydon @ Eviolite | Lightningrod
248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD | Adamant
Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Rock Blast | Megahorn / Roar

Roar is pretty good on this team because you can rack up Spikes and Stealth Rock damage against the opposing team, but Megahorn gives you another move to click against Malamar and denies Uxie and Mesprit from getting pretty free switches against it.

Rhydon @ Eviolite | Lightningrod
248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD | Adamant
Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Rock Blast | Megahorn / Roar

Roar is pretty good on this team because you can rack up Spikes and Stealth Rock damage against the opposing team, but Megahorn gives you another move to click against Malamar and denies Uxie and Mesprit from getting pretty free switches against it.
I'll try both but i really like the megahorn option better. Gives me an extra attack and like you said, handles malamar and psychics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)