First Competitive XY Team

At a glance:

Hey guys, iMagx here with a first post and a first team! I have some experience from the BW metagame but saw no better opportunity to jump into the competitive scene than with the release of a new game. This team is based around setting up a sweep for WP Dragonite (such original, wow) by removing threats, as Dragonite has always been one of my favorite 'mons, and this set seems to work well. Be critical, make me suffer and show me the ropes here in RMT!

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

I'm 100% sure everyone has seen this set, so little explanation is needed. It forms the first part of the FWG core of this team, and is a solid switch in for 'mons that could potentially rip this team apart otherwise *cough* Heatran *cough*. I opted for ChestoResto over pain split, as I find the latter rather gimmicky, aside form the fact I suck with using it...Not much else to say, EVs in Def as otherwise I lack any kind of solid physically defensive aspect to this team imo.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

One of my favorite shinys got a Mega-Evo, so he had to jump in the team, he provides the G in, you guessed, the FWG. I primarily use 'Saur as my special wall, as he is capable of stalling for days with the set given in the right context. Switches in nicely for both Talonflame and Rotom, and can also provide a shock by taking Ice moves for Togekiss and Dragonite if Mega'd thanks to Thick Fat.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame is also heavily used so I'm pretty sure this set also surprises very few of you. Regardless, Talonflame is a stellar revenge killer with Choice'd +1 Brave Bird, and can also create some great switching opportunites with U-Turn and a bit of prediction. WoW just to spread more statuses, though I am unsure how effective this actually is on a CB set, as I rarely use it... Its the F, and it can switch in on more than I expected.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Spd / 208 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Roost

I love trolling with Togekiss. Serene Grace + Air Slash is nothing new but it get the job done and inspires much rage, which is never a bad thing... I also needed a Defogger with both Talonflame and D'nite on the team, and this role is adequately filled. DG is used simply for Dragons, and Leftovers with Roost ensure Togekiss sticks around for a while. This is one of the slots I am more iffy on however, so feel free to fire away with suggestions!

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 88 HP / 168 Spd
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Autotomize
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I have tried many incarnations of this 'mon, and for no real reason other than lacking a true special attacker, this one stuck. I don't feel the need for King's Shield on this set as Autotomize almost ensures I can outspeed the opponent, and Shadow Ball really packs a punch with a Modest nature and a Spooky Plate. Flash Cannon is used as a secondary STAB, and HP Fire deals with opposing steels which could cause problems, such as Skarmory.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

The standard Weakness Policy Dragonite, except with Earthquake over Fire Punch as I lack any solid ground moves on this team. This monster is where I hope to end up in most games, with a DD as WP activates usually securing the win for me. Extreme Speed also gives my team another source of priority other than Talonflame, which is always nice to know.

Well, thats the team I have been using recently, and as much as I like it there are a few key issues I have noticed. First and foremost, I lack certain types of move, specifically Ice and a solid Electric attack other than Volt Switch, both of which leave me vulnerable to Flying type assaults in my experience, as Rotom isn't always there to fall back on. I also have no set lead, and usually end up making a prediction which has occasionally ended with me starting the match slightly handicapped.

I have also been toying with the idea of replacing Aegislash with Gengar (Sub/Disable/ShadowBall/FocusBlast) but to be honest I cant provide a clear reason for why, other than feeling it would be beneficial in some way... Hopefully this has been put together well enough to rate, so let the criticisms commence!

Hi, and welcome to the forums. One of the huge things I see is that half your team is weak to Stealth Rock (Talonflame having a x4 weakness to it). Having Defog on Togekiss helps, but since half your team is flying, it's still something to think about.

I personally think your Venusaur should be running Sludge Bomb over Subsitute. Not only is it an extra STAB, but it stops other Grass-types from completely walling you.

I might do a more in-depth review later. But you should also battle a lot with your team. When you know what counters your team well, you'll know what to fix in your team.

I feel Heal Bell would also be an option to put on your Togekiss as currently you have no way of taking care of any status your pokemon may get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)