Project Fill In The Blank (Week 10 - Partners in Crime)

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
:sv/electrode-hisui:
Electrode-Hisui @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Chloroblast
- Thunder Wave

i'm choosing this since it has a sr immunity, a special breaker, the fact the members all have pivoting and it can support gapdos and azelf with breaking with twave

:Sv/gouging-fire:
Gouging Fire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Desolate Land
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Atk / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heat Crash / Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Earthquake / Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Copying another persons mon of choice, but I think it’s got to be Desoland Gouging Fire. The team struggles immensely against water and fire attacks. Offensive MGLO/EE Gouging Fire gets OHKOd by specs primsea wake weatherball. In fact the whole team dies in one or two hits to specs primsea wake weatherball, or desoland ogerpon H/cinderace cudgel/pyroball.

This makes me lean to something that can take both of these hits. A bulky water like manaphy or toxapex could work- but it then makes the team very electric weak, with too much on swampert. Unless either are volt absorb/motor drive.
Primsea Walking Wake was a thought. Double resist water, negates the boost prim sea would give to opposing water attacks. But the standard is for this to be choiced, and I don’t think 3 choiced mons would fit on a balance team like this (unless it’s a niche sub CM set??). The advantage of wake is to edge more speed too, as ada Gzap is slow in this meta. And azelf gets quickly worn down with hazards.

But I’ve gone with Gouging Fire instead. Similarly double fire resist helps negate the damage amp of opposing fire attacks from desoland. And then the immunity to water attacks from the ability. It also has the advantage of resisting elec attacks for the elec weak team, and cutting hurricane accuracy of primsea zapdos. Perma weather also has the advantage of disrupting (uncommon) weather based teams.
Zapdos G smashes intim and wbb corvi. While gouging fire can handle fluffy variants (other mons on the team struggle to make progress against fluffy corvi otherwise). Can have fire and ground coverage for immunity goldengho - of which ee nasty plot variants can otherwise run rampant against this team. But if role compression isn’t your deal as swampert can handle wbb ghold, then earthquake can be dropped for dragon stab.
I prefer heat crash over blitz for longevity.
DD to get that speed boost and sweeping potential as mentioned above, as the team is v slow except for azelf. Enough speed to outpace non scarf cinderace and roaring moon at +1. I again prefer more bulk with maxed HP and the rest in attack as this mon is on the team to be able to switch into attacks. And then survive another attack for a chance to click DD. And will give more benefit to morning sun usage. HDB over lefties because again it’s on the team to switch into fire/water attacks, so rocks damage would hurt it a lot. And corvi is the only removal (no rapid spin on team), which is a lot of pressure on this mon.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
:sv/iron hands:
Iron Hands @ Black Belt
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Supercell Slam
- Drain Punch

big fatty + provides elec resist to take some of the predictability off of swampert also late game sweeper

here were other variants i had idk i dont play aaa
Iron Hands @ Lum Berry
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Supercell Slam
- Swords Dance
- Charge

Iron Hands @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Supercell Slam
- Swords Dance
- Double-Edge

Iron Hands @ Custap Berry
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Endure
- Reversal
- Supercell Slam
- Swords Dance

Iron Hands @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Galvanize
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Supercell Slam
- Swords Dance
- Charge

cat

anemoia
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
AAA team that is never gonna go out of style right UT?
:sv/Iron Boulder:
Iron Boulder @ Choice Band
Ability: Sharpness
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mighty Cleave
- Psycho Cut
- Sacred Sword
- Earthquake

We all know that UT loves Terrakion - hell, you could even say that this team was made to Long Live. So what's better than a Terrakion? Obviously, Terrakion v2.0 !
boulder appreciates gapdos and azelf being able to best its checks pretty well and in return, can break past the opposing team (relatively) easily

I'm guessing Gengar because UT has been spreading the gospel that is SoR Zap-G and Normgar since forever ago
:sv/Gengar:
Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Normalize
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic Spikes

On a somewhat more serious note, could work on this build as it is balance and be used to take out setup mons/things that annoy zap g

Last edited:

Career Ended

Whatever happens, happens
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending Other Metas Circuit Champion
The team already has a strong breaker, revenge killer and a strong defensive core. I find that balance teams like these appreciate having extra bulky Pokemon that can help exert pressure on the opposing team. I wanted something that wouldn't be passive, but would also act as a defensive pivot and would help take the pressure off of Swampert in certain matchups. A Water resist would go a long way here, to prevent water types from running through this team fast. Barraskewda, Inteleon and Walking Wake are all massive threats to the team with no real answer in game, so covering those 3 in our last slot was essential. Obviously something with some kind of hazard would also be beneficial, with all 5 pokemon on the team having a pivoting move something to punish switchs would be much appreciated. Additionally, as the current gameplan into Chien-Pao is pray we never get flinched (Or worse, Lashed out), Stealth Rock makes Corviknight a much more appealing answer. Electrode-Hisui is a big threat, and MGLO Gouging Fire clicks Flare Blitz on Mandibuzz until it burns and then it wins. In a similar vein, Mandibuzz (and by extension the rest of the team) struggles to switch in to Desolate Land Ceruledge. If it's running Solar Blade then Swampert will get OHKOed. Desolate Land Iron Moth running grass coverage in Energy ball or Solar Beam is also a big threat. That's a lot to cover in one slot for certain, but I feel that Water Absorb :diancie: does the most good in the final slot here. This is the set I propose:

:sv/diancie:
Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 216 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Body Press
- Protect

Stealth Rock gives us our entry hazards to make the most use of all of our U-Turn (or Flip Turn, dw Swampert we get it) Pokemon to make progress in most matchups we will come across. Diamond Storm is our strong Rock Stab that will help us fend off those annoying Desolate Land Fire types, but also acts as a boosting option to help prevent us from being too passive. Body Press is good coverage with Diamond Storm and helps us make use of our defense boosts to put some pressure on opposing removal, particularly opposing Corviknight and Mandibuzz, who can't safely Roost. Protect rounds out the set, giving us a great scouting tool and reliable recovery along with our Leftovers. The EV's are max HP to maximize Leftovers recovery, along with a significant Defense investment. 216 with Impish nature lets us hit a strong defensive benchmark and ensures our Body Press will be doing a lot, especially after a Diamond Storm Boost. 20 Speed EV's let us outspeed a negative nature Goodra-H and threaten it with Body Press (This helps Swampert keep its Assault Vest). 20 EVs are put into Attack to increase the power of Diamond Storm, giving it better rolls into Zapdos, Gouging Fire, Bulky Ceruledge and Heatran.

Some things to note about Diancie filling out the last spot of our team are:
1. We have to play very aggresively into matchups against Electrode-Hisui + a pivot slower than one of our own. Azelf of course can force it out, but beating it will have to come down to burning Chloroblasts PP with Protect and switching between Corviknight and Swampert. Identifying if it's okay to sacrifice one of our flying types will hopefully allow us to burn significant PP and allow for Swampert to hard wall it. If it's running Energy Ball as well as Chloroblast, it's very difficult but getting the damage on it with a U-Turn with a flying type will allow Diamond Storm to kill, if you can get that far. Ultimately the team is quite weak to Electrode-Hisui and Diancie didn't solve that issue. SAD!

2. Diancie completely patchs up our weakness to water types! The only Water types that is a significant threat to Diancie are Tail Glow Manaphy running Energy Ball and Ogerpon-Wellspring, but luckily Unaware Mandibuzz and Intimidate Corviknight should be able to take those on for us. Barraskewda, Inteleon, Latios, Swampert and Latios could freely click Flip Turn against us before, but now we have a significant way to punish them. Swampert really enjoys the support Diancie provides, allowing it to not have to take the full load for handling all of these pokemon. Swampert can also be a little more relaxed around offensive Zapdos, especially after getting hit by a Knock Off, as Diancie takes strong Hurricanes with ease.

3. Desolate Land fire types aren't as big of a threat. Swampert is rejoicing again, as Diancie helps share the defensive load of taking on the tier's strong fire types. Diancie sits on MGLO Gouging Fire lacking Earthquake forever, making Mandibuzz' job easier into that matchup. Diancie can take a Life Orb Flare Blitz into an Earthquake, but we can scout with Protect and hopefully do well with the threat of Mandibuzz in the back. Flare Blitz EQ DD recovery could be scary, but Swampert can help us out against that one. Bulkier Gouging Fire's typically aren't as scary as Diamond Storm will 2HKO all but the most physically invested ones. Diancie can also stomach a Life Orb Bitter Blade into Solar Blade from Desolate Land Ceruledge, working well in tandem with Mandibuzz once again. You can Protect to scout and gain HP, and potentially even pivot to Mandibuzz on a Solar Blade and threaten to OHKO with Foul Play. Diamond Storm is also always killing Ceruledge after Life Orb recoil. Finally Diancie can also take a Fiery Dance into 1.5x Energy Ball from Desolate Land Iron Moth, given Protect's additional 6% recovery. A Fiery Dance boost into Solar Beam will be fatal though, so be aware of the threat that poses. Diamond Storm always kills Iron Moth, so preventing it from getting the boost by refusing to let it come in on our Corviknight is key.

4. Great Tusk will be able to spin on our setter, but with Regenerator not being as common we can hopefully wear them down with Corviknight's Brave Bird, Mandibuzz's Toxic or a strong attack from one of our two choiced breakers. Keep in mind that a Great Tusk also has to be careful of a STAB Moonblast, so they aren't likely to hard switch into Diancie at first, allowing you to play with SR up until your full set is revealed.

5. Chien Pao is much easier to deal with provided we can keep our Stealth Rock up. If our Corviknight gets flinched now we can feel a little more secure in that Diancie will always avoid the 3HKO from -1 Icicle Crash and threaten an OHKO back. Since we have so many pivots we can hopefully heal up our Corv in the mean time or can use it as a sac to allow Diancie to check it once again.

Below are some calcs showing the issues the team faces, and how Diancie addresses them.

252 SpA Choice Specs Inteleon Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert in Heavy Rain: 204-240 (50.6 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Flip Turn vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Corviknight in Heavy Rain: 109-130 (27.2 - 32.5%) -- 63.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Walking Wake Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert: 358-424 (88.6 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Gouging Fire Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 179-212 (42.2 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz in Harsh Sunshine: 214-253 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD (Knocked Off) Swampert: 135-160 (33.4 - 39.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Diancie: 97-115 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 0.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Diancie in Harsh Sunshine: 72-86 (23.6 - 28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Iron Moth Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Diancie: 146-174 (48 - 57.2%) -- 40.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Diancie in Harsh Sunshine: 84-100 (27.6 - 32.8%) -- 74.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Poltergeist vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Diancie: 138-164 (45.3 - 53.9%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Diancie: 208-247 (68.4 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

40 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 108-127 (33.4 - 39.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
40 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 258-306 (80.3 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
40 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ceruledge: 270-320 (92.7 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
40 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Moth: 338-402 (112.2 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
216+ Def Diancie Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra-Hisui: 210-248 (57.6 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 216+ Def Diancie Body Press vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Mandibuzz: 147-173 (34.7 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (would do double on a Roost)
+2 216+ Def Diancie Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 146-172 (36.5 - 43%) -- 97.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

LordBox

you should love yourself... NOW!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:sv/dragonite:

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Rush
- Fire Blast

This definitely is not the best set, but it is definitely is the set that the team 100% needs to differentiate itself from all these generic SwampCorv pivot spam teams (I confused this team with Kinetic's sample for a solid 10 minutes...) This team suffers from major issue and that's Swampert sucks omega ass. This team loads into any special breaker with Grass coverage (Gengar, Iron Moth, Heatran, Primarina, etc) and it's over. Swampert also gets easily overwhelmed by exceptionally strong neutral breakers like Walking Wake and also suffers from a lack of a proper Fighting resistance which means ironically enough its own matchup into stuff like Gapdos is pretty sus. Behold Dragonite, can cover some of these things, kind of. It can cover Volcarona, Heatran, Iron Moth ok enough but if you see a SFLO Deoxys-Speed lol have fun. As a Wake check it can barely fufill this role, with PrimSea Weather Ball rolling for a 2HKO and even the same applies for stuff like Gapdos. However my tatic is to use sheer bluffing skills to force them out and then reveal my TBolt as they switch into their Fluffy Corv gg. Now, arguably, Aerilate is just better as it can actually force them out, however that's BORING. We're not here to make good teams, are we?

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hope I'm not too late!

:heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Desolate Land
Tera Type: Fire
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Protect provides a very necessary scouting move on a team with insanely good defensive typing that's further bolstered by Heatran's incredible defensive profile. Having Desolate Land allows Heatran to switch into Water-types that'd likely give this team trouble given that the checks on this team to the various metagame threats are very general and likely to get overwhelmed. Stealth Rock because rocks are incredible, but also the combination of hazards + Magma Storm + Protect makes getting rid of hazards insanely hard.

The team also struggles with breaking Corviknight. Heatran is very annoying to switch into - you're still going to be worried about WBB, but it's better than nothing. Given how choice heavy this meta is, I believe Protect Heatran is an incredible choice for a final slot.

Spread can be anything. I suck at EVs. I just like speedy stuff.

kenn

Prince of the Halidom
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
And with a FOUR way tie at 2 votes a piece we have Tsar Nikolai and their :gholdengo:, Betticus IV and their :gengar:, Career Ended with his :diancie:, and Ren and his :heatran: as the winner! Congrats!

The actual Pokémon was correctly guessed by cat which was :iron boulder:

Now for our next team we got a spicy STAB team from our lovely OM Leader and coffee maniac himself, Giagantic
:latios::gouging fire::klefki::primarina::pecharunt::poke ball:
It is a fun take on Fairy/Dragon spam with some unusual choices such as CM Klefki which has some good MUs into things like Iron Boulder
Submissions end Friday February 9th!​

:Rillaboom: @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Grass
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn
Finishes a Grass/Fire/Water core, gives priority, and gives a second physical attacker that isn't a support mon. This mon seems to fit perfectly.
Edit: Probably should have went with Ogerpon-W.

Last edited:

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
:sv/ogerpon-cornerstone:
Ogerpon-Cornerstone (F) @ Cornerstone Mask
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Rock
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Ivy Cudgel
- Stone Axe
- Strength Sap
my guess is :ogerpon-cornerstone: as more as a utility mon rather than a sd set because there are no hazard setters, completes a fwg core and not much utility apart from :pecharunt:

1000001643.jpg

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Ceaseless Edge/Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades/Earthquake
- Shore Up
- Parting Shot

Probably wrong, but the team has a bad match up against any special ghost types (:gholdengo:, :gengar:, etc) and :ting-lu: deals with that pretty well. :ting-lu: also has a good match up against pokemon like :heatran: and :iron moth: that resists either or both dragon and fairy allowing for more flexible plays. Lastly, it can set hazards up and can be spinblocked by :klefki: and :pecharunt:.

If I'm honest I thought cm :klefki: was a ladder gimmick, but I guess not.

:ogerpon:
Ogerpon(F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Grass
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Diamond Storm
- Bitter Blade
- Swords dance
This is technically different than cornerstone in 3 ways
1. Grass tera and speed boost on tera
2. Leftovers recovery babyyyyy
3. Defiant exists and can be used
If this isnt allowed idk man like maybe :porygon2:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)