SpaceSpeakers

eeny mine moe
is a Tiering Contributor
Iran scored 2 goals in extra time lmaooo
Wales lost because the goalkeeper received a red card? ig
It seems that Asia countries have chances to make it through the group stage

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
First red card in World Cup 2022...
View attachment 468352
Also Qatar just scored their first goal in the World Cup
It was a very spicy game but I knew where the game was going that Senegal was going to win, Senegal played so well against the Netherlands but I'm glad Qatar scored a really spectacular goal. I'm going to be very excited with the Senegal vs Ecuador game (probably the match to decide who gets the 2nd seed)

I think England will win today but I don't think its outrageous to believe that because they're the strong favorite against the US, but I think it will be a close game.

awyp

is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
lmao the ending to portugal ghana was a fiesta, homie almost pulled a benzema on the portuguese keeper by coming from behind during a goal kick but he slipped
I lost my damn mind watching the last 15 minutes of that game, I don't know what was happening to the goal keepers mind but he almost lost them the game and Ronaldo literally lost his shit, I don't think he'll start next game but we will see.

USA vs England was awful.

America proved once again that they simply can't convert chances and thus won't be able to go past the round of 16, even if they beat Iran. They're definitely a better team than Iran but man, they don't have the starpower to actually convert anything once they're in a good position. Coach was smart to take off Weston McKennie first because he was definitely their biggest detriment and squandered two great chances.

England, on the other hand, were completely flat and played worse than America despite having far better players and a stronger bench. Taking Saka off was the right thing to do, but he needed to come off for that first substitute rather than 10 mins later. Kane also had an awful game -- said I felt concerned for him after his first performance and that stays. Grealish coming on finally gave them energy but man, if Maguire didn't repel like 6 US corners in a row the game would've been over by that point.

Maguire had the best defensive game of the tournament imo and England would've lost handily if it wasn't for him, was pretty much faultless from what I could see. He also made the run that resulted in the great chance Saka missed during the first half. MOTM to him or Pulisic. Can expect both these teams to be going through, England 1st seed and US 2nd, though in this form whoever gets them will be more than happy.

awyp

RMT Leader
USA vs England was awful.

America proved once again that they simply can't convert chances and thus won't be able to go past the round of 16, even if they beat Iran. They're definitely a better team than Iran but man, they don't have the starpower to actually convert anything once they're in a good position. Coach was smart to take off Weston McKennie first because he was definitely their biggest detriment and squandered two great chances.

England, on the other hand, were completely flat and played worse than America despite having far better players and a stronger bench. Taking Saka off was the right thing to do, but he needed to come off for that first substitute rather than 10 mins later. Kane also had an awful game -- said I felt concerned for him after his first performance and that stays. Grealish coming on finally gave them energy but man, if Maguire didn't repel like 6 US corners in a row the game would've been over by that point.

Maguire had the best defensive game of the tournament imo and England would've lost handily if it wasn't for him, was pretty much faultless from what I could see. He also made the run that resulted in the great chance Saka missed during the first half. MOTM to him or Pulisic. Can expect both these teams to be going through, England 1st seed and US 2nd, though in this form whoever gets them will be more than happy.
See the thing is I think they played really good. They had multiple chances to score goals and they honestly looked like the better team today but the only thing missing is putting the ball in back of the net. I do believe they needed to win but it's not a soul snatcher yet. They can still win Iran and get to the Ro16 but they need a reliable goal scorer on the team you can depend on because I don't think they have that. Yeah depending on who they play if they beat Iran I don't know if they will get through it depends on the matchup but honestly they played flawlessly p much (today).

I'm excited for Mexico vs Argentina (Probably make it or break it game for Argentina so we'll see what will happen!)

awyp

RMT Leader
France vs Denmark would be fun to watch
France have lost to Denmark in both encounters this year iirc but France are in very good form while Denmark let Tunisia draw 0-0.
This is true, iirc a lot of people predicted Denmark to beat France as an upset in the group stages.

ankara messi ankara messi
argentina look piss weak but get the job done

See the thing is I think they played really good. They had multiple chances to score goals and they honestly looked like the better team today but the only thing missing is putting the ball in back of the net. I do believe they needed to win but it's not a soul snatcher yet. They can still win Iran and get to the Ro16 but they need a reliable goal scorer on the team you can depend on because I don't think they have that. Yeah depending on who they play if they beat Iran I don't know if they will get through it depends on the matchup but honestly they played flawlessly p much (today).

I'm excited for Mexico vs Argentina (Probably make it or break it game for Argentina so we'll see what will happen!)
nah man, teams like brazil and spain can move the ball better and actually convert those chances. can't be playing flawlessly if you're not scoring. if the england turned up that were playing vs iran they would've been exposed more for their inability to finish rather than getting a draw. how can you get 7 corners in 10 mins and not even get a shot on target from them lol. usa should get through because the group isn't very strong but i would say they're easily outclassed by pretty much every other r16 team apart from group A (and luckily that's who they play). imo the match was england being incredibly poor rather than usa being particularly strong - both teams would've got annihilated by tournament favorites in that form.

Last edited:

SpaceSpeakers

eeny mine moe
is a Tiering Contributor
aight
So France won against Denmark?
Close game
Denmark still has a chance if they win Australia tho
I'm glad that Argentina won Mexico yesterday

awyp

RMT Leader
ankara messi ankara messi
argentina look piss weak but get the job done

nah man, teams like brazil and spain can move the ball better and actually convert those chances. can't be playing flawlessly if you're not scoring. if the england turned up that were playing vs iran they would've been exposed more for their inability to finish rather than getting a draw. how can you get 7 corners in 10 mins and not even get a shot on target from them lol. usa should get through because the group isn't very strong but i would say they're easily outclassed by pretty much every other r16 team apart from group A (and luckily that's who they play). imo the match was england being incredibly poor rather than usa being particularly strong - both teams would've got annihilated by tournament favorites in that form.
I mean of course don't compare the United States to best in the world they don't compare but we're talking about the Ro16 which is still an option for them if they win their last game. I think depending on who they matchup with if they get that far they will have an opportunity to get through depending on their matchup.

I saw the France game vs Denmark, Mbappe was on fire. I don't think the team is as dynamic as the team from 2018 but I do think they are good enough to get far and as long as Mbappe is on form like this I think they will be difficult to beat.

Lastly, Messi scored a legacy goal. Yes he's 1 of 2 the best players to ever play and the only thing missing from both him and Ronaldo's legacy is the World Cup. Messi showed on the biggest stage with all the tension of needing to win or Argentina gets knocked out to score a stunner and help give his team the boost their need and also assisting in the 2nd goal. I just have to give credit where credit is due.

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Personally I think Denmark's approach was good, confident in the defense trying to damage the counterattack. France forces you to do that. With what he has, it doesn't matter if he plays well or badly, since, in any case, a game can be solved with crosses into the area or individual plays by Mbappé, Dembélé. I think they are one of the most dangerous teams in the passing game.

I don't know if I expected anything more from Denmark, since in the League of Nations they won both games against France. Anyway, I don't think they will have much of a problem against Australia. They have to win if they want to stay in the tournament.

In other news, I am very happy for Argentina and Messi. They still have the final test against a tough rival. It is a very even group.

awyp

RMT Leader
Today could be a great day. Can't we win and knock Germany out of the tournament? I do not think.
I mean you know what happens every time Barcelona plays Bayern Munich [Recently] (Not saying club teams = national teams but there are players from both pools).

Jeong

Banned deucer.
I mean you know what happens every time Barcelona plays Bayern Munich [Recently] (Not saying club teams = national teams but there are players from both pools).
Luckily the coach is not the same. It seems that with Luis Enrique they show the best version of him than with Xavi. I don't know if they play more motivated, but it's a problem. The same can be said of Griezmann or João Félix.

Regarding the game now, I liked the attitude of the team, the pressure and the chances. The ball sometimes seemed to have a life of its own going so fast and with several bounces. Germany had a lot at stake and showed it in the final minutes. A point worth gold after all. If you play 5 more minutes maybe Germany will win. Unai is a great goalkeeper, thank God.

awyp

RMT Leader
Luckily the coach is not the same. It seems that with Luis Enrique they show the best version of him than with Xavi. I don't know if they play more motivated, but it's a problem. The same can be said of Griezmann or João Félix.

Regarding the game now, I liked the attitude of the team, the pressure and the chances. The ball sometimes seemed to have a life of its own going so fast and with several bounces. Germany had a lot at stake and showed it in the final minutes. A point worth gold after all. If you play 5 more minutes maybe Germany will win. Unai is a great goalkeeper, thank God.
In my opinion that was the best game so far at the 2022 World Cup. Both teams were on fire, unlucky for Germany with the first half offside but for the most part both teams had a vast amount of opportunities both both defenses showed that they can hold their own. I think Jamal Musiala was probably the best player on the German end and kept them in game. I really do like Spain's formation they have some legends on the squad in combo with a lot of youth. I do understand why Sane did not start him folding in front of goal was nothing to showboat about. I never heard of Fullkrug until this year and oh man do I think they should start him next game, he's on form. I do think Germany will go through to the next round but Spain has to beat Japan.

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Musiala must be the biggest young talent right now. He alone and the changes kept Germany with options. Every time he had the ball he created danger, he knew what he had to do.

Grillo

⭐⭐⭐
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I will talk about Argentina's game and a bit about its situation after beating Mexico.

Argentina: after the game I was scrolling in twitter then I saw that a spanish commentarist said 'It wasn't a win for Argentina, it was an exorcism' and I think it's accurate. Argentina was playing against ghosts of the past, against the fear of being out of the World Cup so soon, and that clearly affected the game as we played poorly the first half. In the second half the coachs decided the game, Martino by retreating his team (mistake) and Scaloni by making some substitutions, all of which had a positive impact. Argentina still needed one more change: the mentality; then Messi appeared. The team needed the impact of a goal, and specifically a Messi goal, to start to believe again. After that Argentina improved a lot, and for that a player was key: Enzo Fernández. Enzo's level is ridiculous, his goal shows all his talent, he played like he's one of the best players of the world and maybe he is going to be up there. He should be starting the game against Poland.

As Scaloni always said, nothing has been won, the team still needs improvement and the game against Poland is still to be played, but like in the last Copa América, Argentina found answers in the crisis. Scaloni and Aimar almost crying after Messi's goal is enough to see how important, and needed, was this exorcism.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)