Featured Playstyle #6: Tailwind

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Introduction
In NU there are a variety of different playstyles you can use, however are all playstyles actually effective in this metagame? This project aims to explore the different playstyles you can use in NU, and discover how to make them most effective. Much like Research Group, you'll be discovering whether this playstyle is really cut out for the tier and what you actually need to succeed at it.

What do we discuss here?
The kind of stuff you can discuss here includes:
  • why this playstyle in particular is or isn't effective in this metagame
  • what Pokemon are most successful at this playstyle (is there a pokemon you haven't considered before such as braviary for example viable in stall? why? how?)
  • teams you've been using that fit into this playstyle category
  • speak about your ladder or general experiences with this playstyle
  • if this playstyle was simply better in a past metagame
  • or post about mons you intend to try out with this playstyle
  • be creative!
What is Tailwind? (2 October - 9 October)
Tailwind is where various Pokemon have Tailwind in order to aid semi-fast (or slower) but powerful Pokemon in sweeping the tier. Can Tailwind be successful in NU? To what extent? Have you tried it? Now's the time to try it if you haven't (given how cool it is in other tiers!) and see what it can do in NU.

Hall of Fame?
There will be one on NU's hub in the future along with Research Group, same applies as there:
  • Users will attempt to reach as high as possible on the ladder with the Pokemon. Breaking past the 2000 mark on the ladder with your registered alt will earn you a spot on the Hall of Fame: Gold Class. Crossing the 1850 mark will secure you a Silver Class spot while a 1700 rating will earn you a Bronze Class spot. Post a screen-shot of your peak in order to achieve this, and a pastebin of your team. Note: this is for Glicko2. You must also have a deviation of 85.
  • Users will be expected to post their experiences with the Pokemon they use, the teams they used, the problems they encountered while trying to make the said Pokemon work.
  • If a user does not participate in the discussion, he will be passed over.
  • In order to participate in the challenge, simply post here with a brand new alt. Post battle logs, experiences with your team on the ladder, and generally how a Pokemon has worked out for you: past or present.
Also feel free to use anything from Research Group for this particular week if it fits into this playstyle! You can discuss the individual Pokemon's performance there, but here you discuss the team as a whole, and the playstyle, too. Have fun!

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
At first glance, Tailwind might look strong on paper, but then you realise the Pokemon that can carry the move (Charizard, Braviary, Butterfree..) are better off using something else over it most of the time. It still has potential though, as I can probably see a core of Tailwind Zard (LO or maybe Expert Belt?), Mix Samurott and Choice Band Torterra (which can possibly prevent Stealth Rock). Everyone should know by now those three hits like trucks, so it might actually work out. Choice Band Fraxure or Zweilous also look like decent abuser, with their high Attack stats and movepool.

Tailwind is such an obscure move in NU: No one really see it often and most Pokemon with access to Tailwind aren't that good / have other stuff to do, but NU is filled with powerful threats who's only downside is their lack of speeds.

Like Trick Room, Tailwind is best not to build an entire team around, but have one or two pokemon that can use it effectively.
An example is Tailwind Charizard. A +2 zard is nigh impossible to revenge kill, and only priority can stop it.

I'll try out a team, but goodness I don't know if Tailwind is all that super in NU. I'll definitely be making use of Murkrow, though, since priority Tailwind and Thunder Wave should let me control the speed of things nicely. I imagine I'll need to pack along a bunch of priority as well, since people will be guarding theirs judiciously against the strategy once revealed.

EDIT: Currently testing teams, but will soon start laddering with the alt Apheliotes.
EDIT EDIT: That one's taken, time to find a new windy name.

Last edited:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here's the big problem with Tailwind: you only have 2-3 turns to actually use it, depending on whether or not you switch. That's worse than Trick Room, which at least gives you 3-4 turns. Tailwind has the same problem Trick Room does: without a way to lengthen it, it's vastly inferior to weather teams in most situations, since weather can double the speed of select mons and boost the power of their moves for double the turns that Tailwind can.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i liked using it as a throwaway move on a few fast pkmn that would be koed the next turn on very offensive teams. i think it's best that way because if you use it on the turn you get KOed, you have maximum utility out of it. swellow made for a decent user, as did scarf swanna (hurricane surf brave bird tailwind). tw zard sounds cool and is probably the best overall user, but the problem with tailwind is that it's too short to make any use of, and NU doesn't have anything really so incredibly powerful it can bust through teams in just a couple of moves. plus, it feels like you need extensive hazard support to even make much of it.

yea what tennis said

The cool thing about using Tailwind is that even though you practically need a slot dedicated to a suicidal prankster mon, such as Cottonee or Murkrow, the five Pokemon that you do have are more than capable at tearing enough holes in the team for a late game sweep. NU is full of amazing sweepers that are neglected for being easily revengeable, such as Charizard and Zangoose who have amazing power and coverage. The loss of a slot in exchange for 3 turns of utter panic is worth for the coverage of these now even-more-viable pokemon, so I think a dedicated tailwind team has some promise in NU. I never have time so I probably won't build a team though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)