Featured LC Player of the Week 4: apt-get

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello everyone, and welcome to this edition of the featured LC player of the week! This project aims to increase visibility of LC players to both the outside world and our community while promoting both users and the strategies they think are effective in the metagame. If you'd like to see someone interviewed for Featured LC Player of the Week, please feel free to pm me! If you'd like to see something done differently, also please let me know!

apt-get
Favorite Pokemon: Latias, Zigzagoon
Most Known For: Forgetting to include ADV OU in his SPL Proposal
Playstyle: Balance
Signature Pokemon: Larvesta
This week's subject is apt-get. Apt-get actively contributes from his dynamic ip humble abode in Africa to all facets of LC, including analyses, community projects (having hosted the LC Counter that Pokemon and LC theorymonning threads in Gen V and now hosting the LC replay thread, LC Community Threat List, and the highly-controversial-and-provocative Don't use this, use that), and to the popular ladder strategy of "use the stuff that's broken on one team" (your author is quite different in that he is known for politely telling opponents that use Tangela that they should feel bad before quitting turn 1). Apt-get has also contributed an RMT or warstory here and there, and they all seem to have one common denominator: they all include last week's subject Chieliee, which precludes only hints as to a possible love affair. It only helps the cause that chieliee provided me with a team he co-built with apt-get. Nonetheless, I would like to focus solely on apt-get for now, so I let's jump to his answers to my questions.

Tell me a little bit about yourself.

I'm just a happy pokémon-playing guy. I'm a NEET, I've been playing since RBY, apart from that, not much to say. I don't really have anything to say, just your classic african zebra-eating guy.

How and when did you start playing LC? Do you remember your first team?

I started playing Little Cup around November of last year, after deciding I wouldn't be a competitive pleb anymore and trying every tier, I really fell in love with this one. I wasn't really active on Smogon, and just jumped into the community. Litchi taught me the basics, and he's a really cool guy, so I would like to say thanks to him.

What is your favorite element of LC?

CUTEMONS, but probably the offensive aspect the meta has, the sheer diversity of sets, the fact that two identical teams in Pokémon can be played really differently, all these things. Also, I hate stall, so LC lacking that playstyle is good for me.

If you could change one thing about LC by banning or unbanning it, what would it be?

I feel like Carvanha and Yanma are a bit too strong in the tier right now, especially the former, as its Waterfalls and Crunches can hardly be tanked by anything. Yanma is even more annoying with Hypnosis (becoming Hypnomiss when I use it), but overall, I'm really happy with the meta.

LC user or player you most admire?

I don't know, everyone playing is just so good, I feel like I won't be able to get on the level of the majority of the users anytime soon, but Electrolyte is one of my favorite players, and he's pretty chill, so yeah.

What do you think is the most successful Pokemon, core, or strategy in the current meta?

Torchic + Anything physical is so good, mainly due to the sheer bulk Torchic has (it can take a fully invested Gligar's Earthquake), and the raw power Pokémon like Bunnelby or Meditite has. My favorite core is probably Torchic + Gligar + Meditite, as passing to Gligar can net you a free substitute on things you force out, like Ground-types, to pass to Meditite. Plus, they're all pretty bulky, and Meditite can run Thunderpunch and Fire Punch along with Ice Punch to beat Honedge and Slowpoke, two pokémon that would otherwise stop its sweep right in its tracks.

Advice to new LCers?

Don't feel ashamed to ask questions on IRC or to ask for battles, it's the only way to progress. Don't ignore your losses, use them to understand what you did wrong, and git gud. Plus, we're all friendly, so feel free to drop by #littlecup anytime!

Meditite @ Eviolite
Ability: Pure Power
Level: 5
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Torchic @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 36 SAtk / 36 SDef
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Flamethrower

Gligar @ Berry Juice
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 236 Spd / 236 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

Bunnelby @ Eviolite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 52 HP / 228 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Rock Slide

Yanma @ Berry Juice
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 236 Spd / 236 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- U-turn
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz

Shellder @ Eviolite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 196 Spd / 236 Atk / 36 HP / 36 Def
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash
- Rapid Spin

"Pretty straightforward team, just use Torchic to pass to Bunnelby or Gligar or Meditite and wreck shit. Shellder is another win condition, spins, and beats Dwebble leads, while Yanma gives momentum and beats anything with Taunt thanks to Hypnomiss + Airslash/Bugbuzz. If you want to use Bunnelby, prefer to pass a sub to it or something, as it doesn't have recovery. Meditite is generally the main recipient, just Drain Punch everything. Gligar can be used when you're against something that can knock off, just threaten them out, sub, and pass to meditite. Acrobatics/EQ also wrecks shit. Bunnelby is kinda rarely used, but return just OHKOes everything, also Quick Attack revenges Carvanha/Yanma at around 65% so use that when they're weakened. Wrecks shit, and reliable."

Closing Remarks from the Editor
Thanks again for tuning into another edition of Featured LC Player of the Week! As always, feel free to pm your questions and suggestions to me. Thanks to apt-get for being an awesome subject!
#shipaptgetandchieliee2014

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Unquestionably one of the best players in the Little Cup community, and he makes LC versions of all the important threads from other tiers, which brings traditional forum aspects to the community that we'd otherwise be without. The XY Little Cup threat list is another one of apt-get's projects and is probably the most important one we have for new players.

Top tier user that I've gotten inspiration from for a long time. ♥

I'm just a happy pokémon-playing guy. I'm a NEET, I've been playing since RBY, apart from that, not much to say. I don't really have anything to say, just your classic african zebra-eating guy.

which one are you man, I NEED TO KNOW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)