Featured LC Player of the Week 3: chieliee

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello everyone, and welcome to this edition of the featured LC player of the week! This project aims to increase visibility of LC players to both the outside world and our community while promoting both users and the strategies they think are effective in the metagame. If you'd like to see someone interviewed for Featured LC Player of the Week, please feel free to pm me! If you'd like to see something done differently, also please let me know!

chieliee
Favorite Pokemon: Escavalier, Ludicolo, Inkay
Most known for: Living in the shadow of other LCers
Playstyle: Balance
Signature Pokemon: Vullaby
This week's subject is Chieliee. Chieliee is an active member of the LC community and has been for as long as anyone can remember, but mostly because people don't remember he is part of the LC community anyways. Chiel is a jovial soul and has been part of nearly every single forum project since mid BW LC, and has achieved somewhat we think in LC tournaments, although no one can really remember if that's the case. What's more, chieliee has been an integral part of the development of the XY metagame, having a hand in one of the more devastating Torchic teams and also stealing from me proposing the now all-but-ubiquitous Slowpoke + Vullaby core. Snide jokes about his lack of badges and innate ability to be easily overlooked aside, chieliee has been a solid LC theorymonner, battler, and especially teambuilder for sometime and is a valuable resource for players looking for some advice on teams. Without further ado, let's see chieliee's answers to my questions!

How and when did you start playing LC? Do you remember your first team?

Just after meditite/carvanha/misdreavus/gligar got banned in BW LC, i joined the LC101 social group. (For those of you who don't know: Before LC was recognized as an official tier at Battling 101, ShinyAzelf led an unofficial project with the aim to teach people LC) I actually was in the same pool of tutees as blarajan, which is quite ironic if you see he's tier leader and i'm not even badged. (more proof of my laziness) SkyNet tutored me, but he was very inactive so i had another tutor afterwards but i forgot who it was. (tell me if it was you) As for my first team, I sadly don't remember it, although i can say with 90% certainty that it had SubHypnosis Gastly in it. When i had Furry Furai as my tutee, which was about 2 months later i think, we made We've Made It, which was(and maybe still is), the most succesful team i contributed to thus far.

P.S. Bring back ShinyAzelf please, for pete's sake. (to SA: if u are reading this and don't come and hug me on irc, you're mean and i'd want you to go back to your farmlands)

What is your favorite element of LC?

Most games are very fast-paced (unless you get into some kind of stalemate, thankfully this doesn't happen often), winning and losing depends more on predictions and less on team matchup than in tiers like BW OU (i don't know shit about XY OU so can't compare it to that), and you get to play with cutemons which is obviously a big plus

If you could change one thing about LC by banning or unbanning it, what would it be?
For BW LC, I'd ban Murkrow, which was, IMO, a big broken piece of shit.

I would be perfectly fine with XY LC staying as it is right now, although if Tangela were suspected i'd have my doubts on if i would say ban or not ban. I wouldn't mind it staying, but i wouldn't care if it left either.

LC user or player you most admire?

When it comes to battling skills and shit, I'd say Elevator Music. This guy can make any mon work, and isn't afraid to actually do just that. Builds amazing teams, plays very solidly, and awesome in general. but get more active pls

When it comes to contributing for the XY LC tier itself, the #1 guy is obviously blarajan. he's done so much stuff for the tier it's not even funny. Besides him, Briyella and Apt-Get stand out imo. They've done so many projects and things like that already, while i'm just sitting here on my lazy bum.

What do you think is the most successful Pokemon, core, or strategy in the current meta?

Best strategy is obviously torchic offense.

Jokes aside (although torchic offense is pretty effective!!): While I feel like Stall has gained some ground in the transition from BW LC to XY LC, Offense is still dominating the tier. In particular Sun Offense, whose abusers have very little counters.

Advice to new LCers?

Join #Littlecup and/or the Little Cup Room on PS!,and definitely don't be afraid to ask questions, we don't bite. Alternatively, you could take a good team off thesample theam thread and give it a go on the ladder to get a feel for the metagame. But most importantly, have fun!

Yanma @ Berry Juice
Ability: Compound Eyes
Level: 5
EVs: 236 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Air Slash
- Hypnosis
- Bug Buzz
- U-turn

Chinchou @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SAtk / 224 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Heal Bell

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 HP / 156 Def / 36 SAtk / 116 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 116 HP / 236 SDef / 76 Atk / 76 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Bunnelby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 220 Spd / 228 Atk / 60 Def (23 HP IV's for less LO recoil)
Jolly Nature
IVs: 23 HP
- Quick Attack
- U-turn
- Return
- Earthquake

Meditite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 196 Spd / 196 Atk / 116 HP
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

"A co-op build with Apt-Get.

I think it's pretty clear that this is a team revolving around the Volt-turn principle. Compoundeyes Yanma is the definition of momentum, as with Hypnosis and U-Turn it can usually give a free switch into anything while also putting one mon to sleep. Chinchou complements Yanma really well (look at smexy weakness coverage), and is also a strong offensive cleric. Slowpoke and Vullaby form the main defensive core of this team, being able to beat a shitton of threats. Slowpoke beats most physical attackers while spreading paralysis to ease Bunnelby in punching holes, while Vullaby is the sole Knock Off user in this team, and also brings Defog for Yanma. Bunnelby is as strong as it is cute. Seriously, bunny just gnaws through defensive cores like it's cheese. Meditite is one of the best revenge killers in the tier imo, while also acting as a lategame sweeper or wallbreaker if i can afford to lose it."

Closing Remarks from the Editor
Thanks again for tuning into another edition of Featured LC Player of the Week! As always, feel free to pm your questions and suggestions to me. Thanks to chieliee for being an awesome subject!

and has achieved somewhat we think in LC tournaments, although no one can really remember if that's the case.
Semifinals of some official BW LC tournament!!!!!!!!111

Then i choked vs macle

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Definitely one of my favorite users in the LC community, one who isn't afraid to think outside the box. I've gotten a fair bit of inspiration from chieliee and I think he's someone other players can look up to. I have for ages. ♥

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
I agree Chieliee is a cool guy. Someone I can say I've seen start out in LC, with great enthusiasm I might add (feels weird to say that haha), and now can teach me about a lot of funky fun shit in LC. Good read, very enjoyable and that Yanma is beastly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)