Favorite Pokemon to Use in Generation V

The metagames throughout this generation have seen pokes in the spotlight only to fall into depths of UU (or below) or be banished to the heavenly realm of ubers. Some of fallen into relative obscurity in OU from their initial high (I'm looking at you Haxorus) while others have remained a constant force in this generation. Sometimes its surprising to see how much a Pokemon has evolved this gen. Whatever the case is, discussion of your favorite Pokemon to use in OU will show everyone your personalized taste in Pokemon and some snapshots of metagames in generation 5.

So he is an example (not my personal favorite just an example):

Excadrill was my favorite pokemon to use in generation 5. While it was broken, it was cool Pokemon to use because it really showed how much the metagame could become warped around a single weather threat and with a rapid spinner that could KO all spinblockers easily. The combination of power, speed, and utility in one pokemon really appealed to me. 405 attack with a great STAB and ability to boost it with Swords Dance. Check. Enough speed to outspeed every boosted threat in OU. Check. An almost unblockable Rapid Spin. Check. The weather-centric metagame that it created appealed to me because it was a very high-stakes metagame, all or nothing, win or lose, based on one pokemon, your weather starter. It was also very offensive. Overall, it was a solid threat that was easy to use (not prediction heavy), fill a good amount of roles, and made a metagame that was enjoyable to me.

Rules:
  • Put the name of your favorite Pokemon in bold so we can see it from the get-go.
  • Try to include the sprite of your favorite Pokemon.
  • Only post pokemon that are actually viable and somewhat relevant to the metagame. This is your favorite pokemon to use, not what your favorite pokemon is.
  • If you can, try to list your favorite moveset of that Pokemon
  • Explain why it was so good in your eyes.
  • make your post more than a 2 liner
So what was your favorite pokemon to use in OU in gen 5? Why did you like to use it so much? How did it relate to the metagame overall?

Last edited:

Gliscor was probably my favorite Pokemon of this generation, despite it falling from popularity towards the advent of B2/W2. I felt that it was the one way I could "sweep" through stalling thanks to its obnoxious SubStall set. It served as at least a check to the fighting-types prominent in OU at the start of the generation, handle a lot of what sand could throw at it, and forced many a 'Mon to carry HP:Ice simply for its defensive prowess. While it had its troubles against the Dragon menace and burned a hatred for "[Steel-type] is floating on a Balloon" into my soul, I never felt I was at a disadvantage if I could get this thing behind a substitute. Gliscor, to me, was an example of the ideal wall this gen: something that went above and beyond the standard methods to avoid getting hit in the first place. In a generation where the best threats could kill you by breathing on you, trying to wall everything by tanking every hit was simply not enough. While I've strayed and attempted other Pokemon, I've always found myself loading up my team built around this 'Mon and substalling some kids to death. If nothing else, it got me a share of tasty ragequits.

For the short time I was playing BW OU:

Breloom, despite being heavily walled by the above, was a blast to play with. What I liked about it most they while it's bst is rather low, it has everything it needs to do its job; a very decent movepool(Spore!), nice typing and two wonderful abilities. The fact that it is perhaps one of the most annoying pokemon to play against is a nice bonus, as well as the fact it can do a number against many common members of both rain and sand teams if played properly.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Oooo, this has to come down to two Pokemon, both Swords Dance sweepers. Lucario & Feraligatr. I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to speak about them both.

So, Lucario was in fact on my first BW1 team, which was actually really successful. It's only common checks at the time I was playing was Gliscor, Jellicent, and maybe Reuniclus. What I loved about Lucario was it's incredible resistances and ability to sweep both offensive and stall based teams, mainly because of it's access to Close Combat to KO basically anything slower than Lucario, and Extreme Speed would KO basically anything faster than Lucario. I run Bullet Punch in my last move slot for 3 specific Pokemon: Gengar, Scarf Tyranitar, and Terrakion. What made Lucario I think so good is mainly it's ability to set up on Choice locked Pokemon that were extremely common in BW1. Terrakion, Tyranitar, Scizor, and Landorus-I were all Pokemon you could easily set up on if they lock themselves in the wrong move, and after one Swords Dance mid game, it's pretty hard to stop Lucario.

Feraligatr is also such a fun Pokemon to use, and it's acts in kinda a similar way to Lucario. Both are Swords Dance sweepers, both can sweep offensive and defensive teams, and both has very powerful priority. Rain has always been my favorite weather in generation 5, and Feraligatr I think is the only Swords Dance sweeper that actually gets it's STAB boosted by rain. With a +2 and Torrent activated in the Rain, Aqua Jet hits stupidly hard, while Waterfall is OHKOing even the sturdiest of walls. It's actually pretty easy to get into Torrent range, as Feraligatr has just enough bulk to live the most common hits in the tier, like Terrakion's Close Combat, Keldeo's Secret Sword, and Rotom-W's Volt Switch, all of which put Gatr into Torrent range.

There's just something about weakening your opponents checks, finding the time to set up a Swords Dance, and sweeping late game that is just extremely fun for me. Cool thread DoughBoy.

Jellicent is/was my favourite pokemon to use in BW OU. I find it hard to not use the mustachio'd jellyfish when i am using a balanced team. My first competitive team had a jellicent, and I have always loved the utility it brings to a team. It has an amazing typing, great movepool, two great abilities and did I mention the 'stache?
Nearly every game i can count on Jellicent to do work, whether it be spinblocking, walling that obnoxiously pony, throwing will-o-wisps around with gay abandon or waggling that taunting finger at stall teams. My best BW team featured Jelli as a kind of one-man wall and many, many matches have ended with the opponent failing to take it down. I have always felt that Jellicent is very underrated, it manages to counter scizor and keldeo who are both extremely powerful and common. Of the four S-ranked pokemon in OU, Jellicent hard walls two of them (taunt dat toed), and can often beat jirachi.

Scotti

we back.
I just noticed, but honestly Jirachi is my favorite pokemon.

Besides having a Plethora of move and being on most of my teams, the main reasons i love jirachi is that it is extremely good in the OU metagame, and that i can run alot of different sets with jirachi. I go around run a Shuca, Ebelt, Mixed Scarf set, and Jirachi runs all of those sets extremely good. Its ability to run a wide number of sets is what really makes me love jirachi, because you never really know what your going to be fighting. All you really know is that it loses to ground types unless it runs Shuca Berry. Besides being extremely good, Jirachi is also a little cute midget of death, and come on it also gets Healing Wish. This is pretty much why Jirachi is my favorite pokemon to use in OU.

Despite the massive influx of Scarf 108s whenever I started to use her, Salamence (and she always was female) or Snowball as I referred to her was always hilariously fun. Scarfmoxiemence, to which I will claim hipster status and started using it long before the set was popularized/established, was pretty much the best cleaner ever. She just had the misfortune of only existing in a generation with the Musketeers.

Jirachi and rotom w have been staples on nearly all of my teams since early bw.

Jirachi functioned as a great wall, pivot, scarfer etc. though out the entire generation. During the rain stall/sand stall meta early bw1 jirachi was usually my special tank. As the metagame became more fast paced and offensive, so did jirachi and I started using scarf/ebelt all the time. I think the only time I didn't use jirachi was during the genesect era tbh.

Rotom w is similar to jirachi. Whether it was the bulky attacker set early bw, scarf during the deo-s/volt turn phase or specdef during torno t/gene/lando meta; rotom -w was always there. So damn versatile

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Oh, that's pretty easy.

Despite having a plethora of sets & being the queen of unpredictability, Mew has been my absolute favourite Pokemon to use in the Gen 5 OU metagame. Stallbreaker Mew, which I can claim to have used before it became popular, was hands down my favourite set when using it. Back when stall was popular in BW1, Mew could just come in & pull all sorts of antics to beat stall. Sadly, her popularity was somewhat short lived, because as soon as the power creep came, Mew faded into history.

So, Lucario was in fact on my first BW1 team, which was actually really successful. It's only common checks at the time I was playing was Gliscor, Jellicent, and maybe Reuniclus. What I loved about Lucario was it's incredible resistances and ability to sweep both offensive and stall based teams, mainly because of it's access to Close Combat to KO basically anything slower than Lucario, and Extreme Speed would KO basically anything faster than Lucario. I run Bullet Punch in my last move slot for 3 specific Pokemon: Gengar, Scarf Tyranitar, and Terrakion. What made Lucario I think so good is mainly it's ability to set up on Choice locked Pokemon that were extremely common in BW1. Terrakion, Tyranitar, Scizor, and Landorus-I were all Pokemon you could easily set up on if they lock themselves in the wrong move, and after one Swords Dance mid game, it's pretty hard to stop Lucario.
I have sort of a love-hate relationship with Lucario. Most of the time, Lucario gets the job done as a sweeper. His power is just explosive and he can be equally threatening to offensive and defensive teams with a killer-120 base power STAB + priority combo. That steel typing is also pretty cool because it makes a nice addition on sandstorm teams and nets him some set up opportunities.

Sometimes however, I just feel like Lucario falls flat on its face. Its success is so reliant on team match because it has to chose between Crunch / Ice Punch / Bullet Punch to have entirely different checks and some of its checks aren't the most easily removable Pokemon. Gliscor, Slowbro, Landorus-T, and Terrakion come to mind because of their immunity to Sandstorm, resilience to hazards, and good HP recovery in Gliscor's / Slowbro's case. This is why I always preferred Ice Punch because you can get rid of Jellicent / Slowbro with CB Pursuit pretty easily so it just becomes an absolute menace to defensive teams.

Also, Lucario is literally the most one-dimensonal Pokemon in OU I can think of, even Volcarona has it beat. For a pokemon that has a huge movepool and a great special attack, the only set that manages to get any merit and success is the Swords Dance set. This isn't without good reason. I tried out Nasty Plot and even Specs for awhile and it was decent, but they just don't hold a candle to its SD set. When you see it, you know its Swords Dance, you know its got ExtremeSpeed + Close Combat, you know it is running 252 Atk / 252 Spe with an Adamant nature 90% of the time. Your variance comes down to just Bullet Punch vs Ice Punch vs Crunch. At least Volcarona has defensive bulky QD sets vs offensive QD ones (which have different coverage). So it can get pretty stale to use after awhile, especially since the teams its on are very similar even with different coverage moves.
There's just something about weakening your opponents checks, finding the time to set up a Swords Dance, and sweeping late game that is just extremely fun for me.
It probably has to do with the fact that it recreates a "comeback situation." All of the moves of the match, all of the decisions you made have culminated into that one turn where you click SD, which is thrilling when your opponent seems to be at the upper hand.

Robqq

Keldeo has been my favorite pokemon in BW.

This water horse is capable of carrying many responsibilities of a team. There are numerous ways it can be utilized: Calm mind, E-belt, Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, Lead-Taunt variants, etc. It brings a ton of offensive pressure upon switching in because of it's combination of power & speed. The removal of its greatest check Tornadus-t propelled keldeo into OU's king.

My favorite Keldeo set: E-belt. There's nothing better than bluffing scarf and hitting incoming checks with an icy wind to slow them down and to KO with HP Bug.

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Icy Wind

I originally had a pretty snarky post here but on a more serious note regarding Dr Ciel's post that is full of falsehoods: first off, the set wasn't a novel creation of some kind, I'm pretty sure that when BW started, people knew how good Taunt + WoW Mewtwo had been in DPP ubers and decided to try the same thing with Mew in OU. It wasn't really common but its effectiveness wasn't rare knowledge. However it was never popular either, it dropped down to UU for christ's sake. This isn't to say it "faded into history" because of a "power creep" though, in fact it was probably one of the best mons at going head-to-head against some of the new really strong pkmn (dragspam for example has a really hard time with it) and still is very good in the current meta. While it's good against stall, it wasn't exactly the stallbreaker extraordinaire that you claim it was back in BW1 with the immense popularity of SpDef Heatran but I digress....

Anyways my favorite pkmn this gen has to be Jellicent. It got way too much hype at first because of ~FerroCent~ and then it got way too much shit because while it spinblocked it was grounded (everyone was used to DPP where Rotom-A was the premier anti-spinner and he could care less about [toxic] spikes) but it's always been a really good mon. Great counter to a lot of stuff, dissects a lot of teams with little effort, is rarely ever dead weight. Sort of like Mew!

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This was a pretty tough choice, but I managed to narrow it down to two: a defensive Pokémon and an offensive one.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP/ 32 Def / 224 SDef
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

- Toxic

Somehow, this duck just doesn't die. Being able to tank through the onslaughts of almost every OU attacker is an incredible feat. With a killer ability in Trace, it can stop opponents like Heatran, Gastrodon, and Thundurus-T right in their tracks, and switching it in on a Dragonite means that nothing will get past it. With access to usable special attack and BoltBeam coverage, setting up on it is a lot more difficult than on Chansey, and the abundance of Pokémon that are 4x weak to those like Landorus-T and Gyarados means it can often net KOs even without investment.

Victini @ Charcoal
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike

- Brick Break

Taking V-Create's speed drop and turning it into a positive effect, Trick Room Victini is one of the most powerful sweepers out there. Supposedly one of the reasons that Victini hasn't managed 3.41% usage in OU is because the abundance of rain hampers its effectiveness, but I've found that to be completely untrue. It can easily use a steel type that can't hurt it like Ferrothorn as setup bait, then start going wrecking-ball on the opponent's team. Even when rain weakened, V-Create has the power to dent, if not KO, the many steel types found on rain teams such as Ferrothorn and Jirachi. Bolt Strike easily rips through bulky water types like Jellicent, and has no trouble taking down frailer opponents like Keldeo. I know I've been overemphasizing how well Victini plays against Rain (I always use weatherless by the way), but it has a far easier time sweeping against other playstyles. If Heatran is eliminated, Sun teams will have no way of surviving its onslaught, while other teams still have to deal with surviving an unweakened 180 base power attack. Essentially, once Victini sets up Trick Room, things start rapidly dying.

Those who know me know I love my bugs. The one who has consistently performed best for me:

Volcarona

With a specially defensive set, it becomes near-impossible to take out with a special attack after a few Quiver Dances. And after a few Quiver Dances, it can outspeed everything and OHKO a majority of the cast. It has everything I need in a Pokemon - a lot of bulk, speed, and power. It has a somewhat useful defensive typing (4x weak vs. rock kinda sucks, but has far more resistances than weaknesses, and a few key resistances/neutral). It can therefore function as both a special wall and a sweeper, and most things have to choose one or the other. With a more standard EV spread (max speed/max special atk), it can't really take a hit, but can dish out a lot of damage without even needing to Quiver Dance.

The set that has performed most consistently for me:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Speed
Calm Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- HP Ground / HP Rock / Bug Buzz

EV's are simple - maximize special bulk to turn a majority of special attackers into setup bait. With a 4x weakness to rock, an odd HP value is necessary, to have 51% HP after taking a Stealth Rock. The remaining points are placed into speed, to win speed ties vs. uninvested base 100's. Last move depends on what I need coverage against most. Since I most commonly run this on a bug mono, and therefore have bug moves on other things, the ability to kill Fire types with the only thing on my team capable of surviving a Fire Blast is preferred to other options. HP Ground kills Heatran. HP Rock is preferred on the No SR ladder, due to Charizard, Moltres, and other Volcaronas being far more common there than Heatran.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa

While Jirachi and Jellicent are both pretty close, I'll always remember how fun it was to use Genesect during Gen V. Besides having one of the most badass designs of any Pokemon, it's versatility and reliability made it nearly impossible to build a team without using it. I mainly used the Expert Belt set during its short time in OU which almost always got a surprise KO since your opponent almost had to assume Choice Scarf since it was such a popular and dangerous set. However, a Physical Attacker set with Iron Head and Explosion was also very fun to use and the Rock Polish set could wipe out entire teams with ease once Heatran was out of the way. I guess the one thing about Genesect (besides the fact that it was over-centralizing) was that it almost seemed too easy at times but it wasn't because it possessed overwhelming stats or anything. It just performed it's role on the team with near perfection almost all of the time which I always thought was kinda cool :]

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

I just love Slowbro, it is stupidly underused in OU IMO. Simply put, Slowbro walls out like half the metagame, I could list probably a dozen+ Pokemon Slowbro walls, to the point where it is easier to just actually list the one's it doesn't physically: Breloom, Tyranitar, and Scizor. The best thing about Slowbro is that is not only walls the Pokemon that is is suppose to, but it gains passive recovery just from switching, making sure it is pretty much never worn down. Thanks to this Slowbro is exellent at stomaching Choiced attacks. For example: Does that CB-Garchomp Outrage 2HKO it? Oh well, time to switch to Forretress to take it and gain HP back in the process. Even outside Physical capabilities, I can't tell you how much regenerator has saved my but, need something to somache a strong move, go to Slowbro, need something to PP stall Tentacruel, switch about Slowbro. That isn't even the end of it either, Slowbro still can stomach special attacks, I have even used him to check Keldeo and Latias of all thins. All around is it just an awesome Pokemon.

The evs maximize defenses to take physical hits, 8 speed speed creeps opposing Forretress to Scald before they Spike / Spin. Scald is mandatory stab because yeah, burns. Psychic 1HKOs Toxicroak and hurts Terrakion and Gyarados, and most importantly breaks Tentacruel's substitutes. Ice Beam KOs dragons, nuff said. Slack Off is useful if Slowbro needs HP in a pinch, it is particularly helpful in last-mon situations and against Pokemon that you know will U-turn.

Hmmm... there are a few Pokemon that I loved using in the otherwise-yawnworthy BW OU, mainly powerhouses like Dragonite, Honchkrow and Volcarona... but my top ones would have to be Sableye and Reuniclus.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature (+ Def, - SpA)
- Will-o-wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Taunt

The king of stall on the physical side and a one-stop-stallbreaker, few physical sweepers and few stallers can do anything in front of Sableye. Will-o-wisp ruins most physical sweepers aside from Conkeldurr / Heracross running Guts, and physical fire types like Infernape, to the point that with leftovers even jolly Kyurem-B fails to 2HKO with Outrage. Foul Play deals heavy damage to psychic and ghost type special attackers like Alakazam, Jellicent and Gengar, as well as the two Pokemon able to block Sableye, Espeon and Xatu, the former guaranteed to be 2HKOed even with an attack lowering nature. Priority Taunt immediately stops the Blobs, Ferrothorn, and all other stallers not called Subseed Whimsicott (which is never used in OU) while also halting the setup attempts of Pokemon like Volcarona and Reuniclus. Priority Recover lets Sableye last for ages. The EV split allows Sableye to shrug off Focus Sash Alakazam's Shadow Ball / Energy Ball while still retaining monstrous physical bulk in tandem with its typing, Leftovers and Will-o-wisp.

I had a huge amount of fun with this underused Pokemon and it served me very well against stall and physical hyper-offense alike, notably single-handedly saving me from a potential 5-0 defeat to win 1-0 by halting Pokemon such as Haxorus, Blissey and Alakazam in succession. A true king of stall and stallbreaking, it is immensely annoying to face and immensely enjoyable to use.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Speed
Quiet Nature (+ SpA, - Spe)
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball / HP Fire
- Focus Blast / HP Fire

My most successful sweeper overall, and a nasty surprise for my opponents thanks to the waning popularity and thus lack of preparation for such a set. Trick Room screws over pretty much every sweeper in OU, with only Dragonite and Scizor able to utilise their bulk and typing to beat Reuniclus before it removes them from existence. The three attacking moves grant it perfect coverage, with Focus Blast easily OHKOing the standard Choice Band Tyranitar and almost every other standard easily 2HKOed before they can deal notable damage to this bulky psychic behemoth. Shadow Ball destroys bulky ghosts and psychics, particularly Cofagrigus and the Lati twins (along with opposing Reuniclus), while Psyshock rips through Blissey and gets 120 Base Power thanks to STAB. On a sun team, HP Fire allows Reuni to make quick work of Scizor - a Choice Band-boosted Bullet Punch deals surprisingly little damage to Reuni - and Ferrothorn without relying on Focus Blast's shaky accuracy, but you lose precious coverage if you opt for this. I never use Psychic because, although it would allow Reuni to muscle past Gliscor, Blissey tends to be a much more common switch-in and it is important not to let the fat blob get the better of you; Psyshock's ability to win Calm Mind wars with the likes of Latias is also impressive.

This was one of the two sets that sent Reuni to be suspect tested a couple of years ago. While it remained in OU and its popularity waned as Weather wars became less dominant and Scizor retook its OU throne, it is nontheless a monstrous Trick Room sweeper that can easily mess up its opponent's plans and blow them apart with its brutal Special Attack stat, all the while laughing at weaker opponent's pathetic attempts to dent its bulky hide. Between its massive Trick Room speed (outslowed only by Gyro Ball Ferrothorn in OU), incredible power, great bulk and ability to change the pace of a game immediately, Reuniclus has saved me many times from superior opposition - often single-handedly - due to the difficulty and unlikeliness of anyone actually preparing for it. Unless the opponent has Scizor in the rain or one of the few checks to this beast, chances are it will take down multiple opponents with relative ease. Truly an underrated and remarkable Pokemon.

There was something really satisfying about Kyurem Black. it's because it looks like a total boss, or there is just joy in having such a monster on your team. Only slightly less Atk than Deoxys-A, but bulkier than Ferrothorn? How was this thing found not an Uber? I've always found that supporting Kyurem B well can guarantee you success. There is a nothing in the tier he can't 2HKO with the right set, hell I've wiped out half of teams in opening turns just because I had coverage to 2HKO an opponents Kyurem B check. Sub on the switch and then it's 2 HP Fires for Ferrothorn or whatever they thought could wall this beast. Kyurem B went criminally underrated this gen, and hell probably shouldn't have been unbanned.

/

My other favorites are Tornadus and Tornadus-T. If you have never used a Specced Tornadus in the rain before, you haven't seen destruction. Everything dies, and everything that doesnt die is trapped by Dugtrio.

I have two.
One is Lucario because of his explosive power, impressive sweeping potential, and the ability to absolutely fail at his job. Besides, he's an Aura Pokemon, is getting a Mega Evolution, is in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and looks really boss. Also, his way of entering the stage in XY is pretty cool.
The other would have to be Stoutland. While not really part of OU, he has carved himself quite a considerable niche, and he completely turned around my opinion for him. I used to think he was weak, slow, and completely unreliable until I tried out the CB Sand Rush set for myself, and found him too good. Also, I guess I like dogs in general.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Timid / Serene Grace
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
~Substitute
~Calm Mind
~Thunder
~Water Pulse

SubCM RainRachi was a complete boss. It was a reliable, powerful, bulky, and destructive sweeper that gave both force and bulk to all of the teams that I used it on. A great defensive typing with above average mixed bulk and speed made this Jirachi set a very efficient setup sweeper. It could easily sub up in the face of weaker Pokemon, Calm Mind, and fire off powerful and crippling Thunders that paralyze opponents and leave a lasting effect against the opponent even when Jirachi leaves the field. It was a great Pokemon for both offensive and defensive playstyles alike, and I'm super glad I used it.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Timid / Serene Grace
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
~Substitute
~Calm Mind
~Thunder
~Water Pulse

SubCM RainRachi was a complete boss. It was a reliable, powerful, bulky, and destructive sweeper that gave both force and bulk to all of the teams that I used it on. A great defensive typing with above average mixed bulk and speed made this Jirachi set a very efficient setup sweeper. It could easily sub up in the face of weaker Pokemon, Calm Mind, and fire off powerful and crippling Thunders that paralyze opponents and leave a lasting effect against the opponent even when Jirachi leaves the field. It was a great Pokemon for both offensive and defensive playstyles alike, and I'm super glad I used it.
Damn I hated this set so much in late BW1 and Tornadus-T Era BW2. For me I found it to be the most annoying Pokemon set this generation. It was always such a massive bitch to play against because you were forced into a catch-22. Any offensive Pokemon that was powerful enough to break its Substitute would be crippled for the rest of the match because of the high paralysis chance. If you used a defensive Pokemon to respond to it, most of them would just be fodder to boost in your face. Essentially if it got a Sub up it was a lose-lose scenario for you. Not really sure when it fell out of favor or why. I presume the rise of Sp. def Celebi to hold the tier together with Breloom + Keldeo + Sheer Force Landours-I curtailed its usage heavily. In addition it has to compete with the immediate power of most other Pokemon on rain offense.

Whatever the case may be, good riddance...

Mine was this

Crawdaunt@lumberry
Nature:Jolly
Trait: Adaptability
Evs: 4 hp, 252 Atk, 252 speed
Moves:
Waterfall/Crab hammer
Crunch
Super power
Dragon dance

This was the only reason I ever ran rain teams in ou. This set could just steamroll stall and other defense teams while being more of a pain against balance on it's own. Throw some taiwind support in and you have one of the most terryfying things you will ever see in the game. The only way you could deal with it once setup is to revenge kill as switching on it was suicide. The only pokes that could are tangrowth and toxicroak as everything else just dies to one of the three moves.

For the extremely small time that I played OU, Ferrothorn was the solid rock of my team and was extremely reliable. Fantastic defensive typing and a great support movepool just made Ferrothorn the common switch-in to anything I needed it to switch into. It made an even better Rain check and was amazing under Rain, as well.

As a side effect of being an avid DW OU player, my favorite Pokemon to use is definitely Excadrill. Its combination of monstrous attack, unmatchable speed in sand, and access to Swords Dance just drew me to it. I even created a little set to get around its most common counter, Breloom.

Excadrill @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance

Also, Blaziken gets an honorable mention for the short time I used it in both BW OU and DW OU.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shiftry

This guy was my go-to mixed sweeper in BW1. With a superior movepool compared to other Chlorophyll Pokemon, Shiftry provided more clean sweeps for me than even Lucario. Blazing speed in blazing heat with perfect coverage meant that if you ever let him get a Growth in and Scizor died, the game was basically over. However, this was no longer the case in BW2, as just about every other priority user crept up out of the woodwork to check him, making him very hard to use. Scarf Keldeo's uprising forced him into a Naive nature, a feat not even Terrakion managed in his most dominant phase, which put a notable dent in his sweeping power.

Overall, the downfall of Shiftry led me to pack up Chlorophyll sweeping altogether, and for a while, even Sun teams in general. But I will never forget the brief friendship I shared with this badass tree as we swept our way into a TC Alumnus badge.

*brofist*

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)