Invalid faster draws

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello there,

there are 3 outcomes in a ladder battle. Either you win, lose, or, and thats a rare case, you can offer a draw, which you opponent can accept or deny. Currently, you can offer the draw after 100 turns. In my opinion, this is way, way too late. I bet the draw rules are old, and prolly the 100 turn limit on the draw offer was introduced to not annoy your opponent early with senseless offers. When you are left with a hippo (SR, whirlwind, EQ, slack off) and a corv (defog, u turn, body press, roost) vs the enemies skarmory (spikes, brave bird, body press, roost) + gliscor (SR, u turn, earthquake, roost), and its turn 80 or so, one can see that noone will ever damage the opponent ever again and the leftover heals will just do more work. it will come to switchin, trying to PP stall the opponent, who will also switch. turn 100, draw offer, done.

HOWEVER...
there is one big problem. Stall vs. stall mirror. Especially in National dex, where there is magic bounce immune to knock off mega sasbleye present, no progress will be made from turn 1. and even worse, the regenerator ability is on the rise on alot of great tanks used on stall teams, like alomomola, toxapex, amoonguss, slowbro and so on. So from turn 10 or 15, players start to randomly switch to save PP and heal via regenerator. What now? Ofc, a draw offer. Well, guess what, there is a 100 turn limit. So if both dont want to lose alot of ladder points, they need to press buttons 90 turns, even if both already wanted to draw in turn 10. Why is that? why is the limit on turn 100?
here is an example of what happened to me on ladder, as i was playing a stall team vs another stall team: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1669853937
(go watch all 100 turns, its very exciting^^)
my opponent offered a draw turn 5, but he said, well, we need to spend time till turn 100. annoying...
and i bet alot of stall players where left in similar positions.

I SUGGEST:
lower the limit to turn 20. and then, allow one draw offer each 30 turns or so. if one player denied the draw, there are alot of turns inbetween before you can annoy him again. But for the stall mirror, which occures quite often, it would be a blessing! no need to ruin your nad mechanics anymore.

Haters:
i asked in showdown forums and got several awnsers, in my opinion not legit ones. lets list them right here:

"when you bring stall, you already prepare for a longer game" - well, yes, but for a game that makes progress. no stall player wants to switch between regenerator mons 100 turns.

"progress can be made" -No, there is literally only some small burns or poison, but it doesnt matter when your pex gets 30% HP back just for switching out.

"a draw is not something that should happen often, a game needs a winner" -well, when the winner is determined by the one who has more time to spend at the computer, not needing to go away soon, what does this say about any players skill lvl? oh, i have to go in half an hour, damm, i guess i only play when i have alot of time rdy.

pls, pls, change the draw offer limit to a lower round of the game, maybe even just from the start.

Well, it could be turned off on tournaments and only be available on ladder matches?

And how is "draw after 100 turns" different from "not exploiting" a draw after 5 turns?
I never got that. If in a tournament, 2 players face and both need a win or a draw to continue, what if they also just switch mons 100 turns, then offer a draw? And they have to do this only once. A stall player has to do this nearly everytime he faces another stall player.
And if the behavior of switching 100 turns would result in punishment in a tournament and thus isn't legal, one could also just make the draw offer after 20 turns illegal or punish it.

Sry about policy review, the help channel on Showdown said I should post here. Did u move the thread or is it not valid and invisible?

Last edited:

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Well, it could be turned off on tournaments and only be available on ladder matches?
Ladder matches can be official tournament matches; I'm not talking about room tours or challenged battles. See for example OU's ladder tournament.

Sry about policy review, the help channel on Showdown said I should post here. Did u move the thread or is it not valid and invisible?
It's been moved to closed suggestions, since it would need to go through Policy Review before it could be even considered to be implemented. Whoever told you to post in the Suggestions forum was just mistaken.

I should point out that I'm not commenting on whether or not faster draws are a good thing; I'm just pointing out this wouldn't be the place it'd get changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)