Pokémon Farigiraf

farigiraf.png

Farigiraf
Normal/Psychic
Base Stats: 120 HP / 90 Attack / 70 Defense / 110 Special Attack / 70 Special Defense / 60 Speed
Abilities: Cud Chew / Armor Tail / Sap Sipper (H)

Notable Moves:
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Dazzling Gleam
- Foul Play
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Tera Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Substitute
- Protect

By Level-Up:
[1] Power Swap
[1} Guard Swap
[1] Astonish
[1] Tackle
[1] Growl
[5] Confusion
[10] Assurance
[14] Stomp
[19] Psybeam
[23] Agility
[28] Double Hit
[32] Twin Beam
[37] Crunch
[41] Baton Pass
[46] Nasty Plot
[50] Psychic

By TM:
[TM001] Take Down
[TM007] Protect
[TM012] Low Kick
[TM017] Confuse Ray
[TM018] Thief
[TM020] Trailblaze
[TM023] Charge Beam
[TM025] Facade
[TM028] Bulldoze
[TM032] Swift
[TM041] Stored Power
[TM042] Night Shade
[TM047] Endure
[TM049] Sunny Day
[TM050] Rain Dance
[TM054] Psyshock
[TM059] Zen Headbutt
[TM062] Foul Play
[TM063] Psychic Fangs
[TM066] Body Slam
[TM070] Sleep Talk
[TM074] Reflect
[TM075] Light Screen
[TM079] Dazzling Gleam
[TM081] Grass Knot
[TM082] Thunder Wave
[TM084] Stomping Tantrum
[TM085] Rest
[TM092] Imprison
[TM098] Skill Swap
[TM099] Iron Head
[TM103] Substitute
[TM108] Crunch
[TM109] Trick
[TM114] Shadow Ball
[TM117] Hyper Voice
[TM119] Energy Ball
[TM126] Thunderbolt
[TM128] Amnesia
[TM129] Calm Mind
[TM130] Helping Hand
[TM132] Baton Pass
[TM138] Psychic Terrain
[TM149] Earthquake
[TM152] Giga Impact
[TM161] Trick Room
[TM163] Hyper Beam
[TM166] Thunder
[TM171] Tera Blast

Egg/Mirror Herb Moves:
Double Kick
Mean Look
Mirror Coat
Future Sight
Beat Up
Uproar
Wish
Ally Switch

New Abilities:
Cud Chew:
When Farigiraf eats a berry, it will consume the berry again at the end of the next turn
Armor Tail: Farigiraf and it's allies are protected from opposing priority moves

New Move:

Twin Beam
Psychic Special
40 BP
100% Accuracy
16 PP

Hits twice in one turn.

Pros:
- Normal / Psychic is a good type for coverage, only being resisted by Steel when it comes to STAB moves, along side that, defensively you only have weakness to Bug and Dark, and immunities to Ghost, and a resist in Psychic. However, you do have an Always STAB Move in Tera Blast.
- Insanely vast special movepool allows for Farigiraf to play a supportive Wish passing Stallmon, or with Nasty Plot a monster with so many coverage moves it can use for any match up.
- Cud Chew allows an offensive Farigiraf to get much needed sustain for 2 whole extra turns with a berry or an offensive boosting berry can be used, for even more boosts if it's HP allows, and for a more supportive Farigiraf, Armor Tail can block priority moves from a lot of the cast and be a good switch in when you recognize the time arises
- Decently good HP and Sp. Atk allow it dish out good damage and stay on the field if setting up.

Cons:
- Base 60 Speed, losing 25 speed from it's prior Evolution is a tough pill to swallow meaning that more likely than not Farigiraf is going to be moving second in a turn, bar a few exceptions
- While Normal / Psychic is a great type overall, the fact that you hit very little pokemon Super Effectively with STAB means that your vast move pool is mostly used to get those hits in.

Terastal Potential:
- Farigiraf can Terastalize into either Normal or Psychic, which increases the power of it's stabs further and allows for Farigiraf to change it's defensive typing to knock off a few weaknesses, or go in on Psychic's power. Tera-Normal is a good Tera-Type for a supportive Farigiraf if it needs to switch in to heavy Dark laden teams, and Tera-Psychic for increased STAB on it's moves.
- Outside of it's two types, the doors open for Farigiraf into a world of fun with Tera-Steel as an obvious choice for a stall focused team with Farigiraf as it's wish passing core. For Nasty Plot users, Tera-Ghost is a great way to add a Shadow Ball STAB to your roster and keep STAB Psychic as well, only gaining immunities instead of gaining weaknesses, outside of Ghost of course.

Potential Sets:
Wish Pass
Farigiraf @ Leftovers
Ability: Armor Tail
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock

With Farigiraf, playing into it's natural bulk in HP and buffing up it's Sp. Def can make it a hidden Flutter Mane check that with Psyshock can target those weak defensive stats and also put in some damage if need be on targets like Blissey. Wish and protect are there to obviously set up a recovery on Farigiraf with Leftovers, and Thunder Wave can dish out paralysis to allow a teammate to come in and sweep.

Bulky Setup
Farigiraf @ Leftovers
Ability: Armor Tail
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock

Basically a repeat of the previous set, but more focused on being all in with Farigiraf, and it could be said that a set that swaps out Armor Tail for Cud Chew and Leftovers for A Maranga Berry, Apicot Berry, or a Sitrus Berry could be looked into. With Calm Mind boosting your Sp. Def, I would personally favor the Apicot or Sitrus Berry but Maranga could be used helpfully in a pinch against Flutter Mane, which is the main use case for this set.

Nasty Plot
Farigiraf @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Cud Chew
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tera Blast

This set uses Tera Blast over Shadow Ball, as Tera Blast provides STAB before and after Terastallizing. The goal with this set is to Nasty Plot on and Terastylize to use Farigiraf offensively, and has Dazzling Gleam to deal with Dark Types. Sitrus Berry can be replaced with Salac Berry for a +2 Speed Boost which can bring Farigiraf's modest speed up to something for your opponent to worry about.

Double Dance / Salac
Farigiraf @ Sitrus Berry / Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Speed
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Agility / Thunderbolt
- Tera Blast

This set forgoes Dazzling Gleam for full on offense with Agility and Nasty Plot. If the opponent lets you set up with this set, you can handle anything thrown at you. While Tera-Ghost is the Type I use for this set, the more creative and unique you can get with the type, the more mileage you can get with Tera Blast. However, you can also swap out Agility for Thunderbolt as coverage and swap Sitrus for Salac to still keep the +2 Speed boost.

Final Thoughts:

My final thoughts on Farigiraf are that while it's stats leave something to be desired, the overall ability and move pool combination it has will allow it to be a niche but usable pick on the OU Ladder, but it will most likely not be OU itself. I think the biggest strength of all for Farigiraf is that it is a Pokemon with many sets it can run. Tera Types will really make this a reality for the Giraffe and allow it to make plays you wouldn't expect. Tera Blast is a gem of a move for all the normal types this Gen, and hopefully Farigiraf can use it well to excel in whatever Tier it lands in With that all said and done, I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas, and rankings of our ONLY new Gen 2 Evolution. Dudunsparce is an illusion it does not exist.

One last thing! This is this first post like this I've ever made so if there are any glaring mistakes please do let me know so I can fix them :D

An immunity to Sucker Punch and First Impression (courtesy of Armor Tail) is pretty neat considering the weakness to both. Agility puts the giraffe above Dragapult, leaving Scarf and Energy boosts the main reliable ways to move before it.

I'm sure there's some Agility + Weakness Policy cheese to be had. Decent bulk, can set its own screens or double dance with stored power. That's too much investment to be viable, but with a complete immunity to priority, it could be fun. Otherwise the standard sets are better.

I feel VGC/Doubles is where Farigarif will really shine. Fake Out/priority AND ghost immunity as a trick room setter is great on top of solid offenses, solid bulk and a wide movepool. Sucker punch/Fake out has long been a pain for psychic type trick room setter but Farigarif just doesn't care about that nonsense and even protects its allies too. Fantastic stuff.

That said It will do well in UU and have an OU niche. That movepool is very impressive, the abilities are good and he has good HP for wish passing but solid enough attacking stats to not merely be a passive supporter.

An excellent upgrade for Girafirag who basically only ever was used as part of a Baton Pass chain rather then being anything other then deeply medicore on its own.

I was theorizing about Glimmora counterleads, and far as I can tell Twin Beam is the only special multi-hit move we have access to right now. Take a look at this nonsense:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Farigiraf Twin Beam (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Glimmora: 308-364 (100.3 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Breaks Sash and sets up Toxic Debris a grand total of zero times. The downside is that it's slower than max speed Glimmora so it'll still get something up, it might not kill if Glimmora has any type of defensive investment, and then afterwards you have to get the Specs Farigiraf to do something. Still might be funny for shock value.

I was theorizing about Glimmora counterleads, and far as I can tell Twin Beam is the only special multi-hit move we have access to right now. Take a look at this nonsense:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Farigiraf Twin Beam (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Glimmora: 308-364 (100.3 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Breaks Sash and sets up Toxic Debris a grand total of zero times. The downside is that it's slower than max speed Glimmora so it'll still get something up, it might not kill if Glimmora has any type of defensive investment, and then afterwards you have to get the Specs Farigiraf to do something. Still might be funny for shock value.
Shock value is half the reason to play OU; no one knows what to do about it :totodiLUL:

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126

Good idea. Farigiraf has some pretty good coverage (TBolt, EBall), so if it finds an entry point like Clodsire it can threaten a lot of what's in the tier. Problem is it's so easily revenge killed by so much stuff, and there are much stronger Choice breakers. I'd just use Spore Toedscruel or smth to counter lead Glimmora.

SilverNote3

formerly the chosen nerd
Farigiraf @ Kee Berry
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Stored Power
- Tera Blast

Don't sleep on the defensive utility of Cud Chew now, this set gives x2 Defense on top of Calm Mind boosts when hit by a physical move, which makes it very hard to break. And of course Stored Power and Tera Blast go brr.

Farigiraf @ Kee Berry
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Stored Power
- Tera Blast

Don't sleep on the defensive utility of Cud Chew now, this set gives x2 Defense on top of Calm Mind boosts when hit by a physical move, which makes it very hard to break. And of course Stored Power and Tera Blast go brr.
Man It's too bad Kee berry is not available atm.

It's unfortunately a dead weight most of the time. It's good bulk actually won't go as far as it would seem with that dark weakness. What it does have though is the versatility and Armor Tail. It definitely functions best on a Trick Room Team though.

Nasty Plot
Farigiraf @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tera Blast
I feel like Tera Type Fairy would probably be a lot better on this set, with Dazzling Gleam replaced with Shadow Ball. This lets you resist both of Farigiraf's weaknesses (Bug and Dark) , which is especially relevant with Meowscarada throwing out powerful U-Turns and Knock Offs all over the place.

Replacing Psyshock with Twin Beam also makes this a particularly effective anti-lead against Glimmora, since it breaks Focus Sash and prevents Toxic Debris from triggering. If my calculations are right, maximum Special Attack investment should give Twin Beam a more than 90% chance of OHKOing any Glimmora set without its own HP investment, and that's before a Nasty Plot boost.

Farigiraf @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Tera Type: FIghting
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SpD
Bold Nature
-Future Sight
-Wish
-Reflect
-Tera Blast

Unfortunately Farigraf doesn't really have any business running offensive sets as they are outclassed by Hatterne and Espathra. Farigraf does best going the bulky supportive route. What sets it apart is that it is one of the few pokemon with Wish so it can support the team well. It can also hit the dark switch ins hard with TB and weaken there blows with Reflect. Overall this is the best set that I have discovered for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)