Fairy Types in LC: The Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys, I'm posting a thread here and I'm a bit sheepish about doing so because I don't know how warranted it is. I like doing analyses of LC Pokemon and their competitive worth. So I guess I'll get started immediately and talk about this thread's topic.

The Fairy type was introduced mainly as a way to challenge the authority of Dragon-type Pokemon, which completely dominated the OU, Ubers, and LC metagames. Yes, these were the big three because there aren't many dragons in NU, RU, or UU. Anyway, fairies were overhyped because of their Dragon immunity, but (spoiler alert) most of them aren't even that good. Aromatisse, Granbull, and Mr. Mime, for example, will likely be firmly NU for the XY metagame. Only a few fairies actually succeed in OU, and those are mostly the fairies that were retyped to be Fairy-typed, like Togekiss, Azumarill, and Gardevoir. So, how do these Pokemons' pre-evolved forms fare in LC? Well, let's look.

I'll structure this article based on how viable each LC Fairy is, and finally offer an analysis about the type in LC as a whole.

Rank 1: Metagame-Defining

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that there's only one LC Fairy that makes the cut in terms of raw power. Swirlix is a formidable sweeper, a fresh new face able to take advantage of solid STAB, Berry Juice's unbanning, and its hidden ability Unburden to wreck entire teams. It's on every other team now, and it's a truly monstrous Pokemon when allowed its moment in the spotlight.

Rank 2: Just Plain Good

The other viable Fairy-types in LC tend to find themselves in bulkier roles than most Pokemon due to their set of handy resistances. Snubbull is a veteran from generations past, touted as the "Fairy Pokemon" since its release in Gold and Silver. However, it's been a punching bag for Fighting-types like Timburr and Scraggy for a long time, only occasionally usable because of Intimidate, Thunder Wave, and Heal Bell. Now, one of the biggest underdogs of LC (pun intended) has stepped up to the plate once again, becoming a very bulky Pokemon capable of OHKOing the same Fighting-types that threw it around in the BW metagame. Cottonee is easily the most annoying of all Fairy-types, running Prankster SubSeed sets that make veteran and rookie alike want to tear their hair out. It doesn't look good on the surface, but can be used with great success in today's metagame. Lastly, we have Spritzee, Swirlix's version-exclusive twin. This is another bulky Pokemon, but, unlike Snubbull, it's specially defensive instead, packing the bulk to support its team for a long time, and even occasionally busting out a Calm Mind set for late-game sweeping. I have used such a set before and it actually works rather well after a few boosts are acquired.

Rank 3: Requires Support

These three are odd ducks, and I really don't know what to think of them. However, they're not entirely unusable, but instead require huge amounts of support to function properly. Azurill functions as a powerful late-game sweeper. A true glass cannon, this deadly mouse-thing requires Trick Room to be up to avoid being OHKOed by the entire metagame. However, once it's up, there's nothing stopping Azurill from spamming STAB Return and ruining your opponent's day. Mime Jr. was never very good, but the changing of Hidden Power's BP to a flat 60 has given Mime Jr. something new to abuse with its Technician ability. This is another wierdo, one that hasn't been used as much as the rare Azurill. That's saying something. Flabebe is the only newbie out of these guys, and is mostly outclassed by Spritzee in terms of versatility. It does, however, have higher special defense, but I don't know if that helps this poorly known Pokemon's case at all.

Rank 4: Unusable

Don't ever use these four fairies. Most players that do have seen that their evolutions are good and are attempting to replicate their success. It never works. Just leave these guys alone and you've completed a vital step in teambuilding.

As a whole, it doesn't look like Fairy-types have a profound effect on the metagame this generation. Swirlix is the only enormously powerful one in the bunch, but it's just as commonly seen as Gligar, Pawniard, and Tangela, none of which are related typing-wise. The only other fairies really worth using are Snubbull and Spritzee, with the rest being either very niche in terms of playstyle or completely useless cutemons. That's it for this post. Let me know if I should post stuff like this here at all.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Spritzee is amazing; its super bulky and can offer wish support. Though, it does not appreciate GF keeping it away from T-Wave and Wil-o-Wisp.

Spritzee is amazing; its super bulky and can offer wish support. Though, it does not appreciate GF keeping it away from T-Wave and Wil-o-Wisp.
Yeah, it would be way better with more status-spreading moves, though I always use this set anyway:

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Healer
Level: 5
EVs: 76 SDef / 196 Def / 12 Spd / 212 HP / 12 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Reflect
- Aromatherapy

People don't expect it and it's super capable of pulling off a sweep.

I've actually fallen in love with this Mime Jr. set:

Mime Jr. @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 SAtk / 196 SDef / 112 Def
Modest Nature
- Healing Wish // Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Icy Wind

Ok, so it requires a lot of explaining, but it is very effective. Mime Jr. hits 17 SpA, which is pretty powerful, but not too too powerful. Healing Wish is the main kicker of Mime Jr., what really gives a reason to use it. It brings in any other Pokemon for free and shapes them back up to brand new! Nasty Plot is the other option, doubling Mime Jr.'s Special Attack to a very high 34, allowing it to effectively sweep teams after they've been weakened. I saw somebody using Confusion on Mime Jr. today and I figured: hey! Let's try and run some calcs! And well, it is weaker than Psyshock. It hits a power of 112 after Technician and STAB, versus 120 after STAB for Psyshock, or 135 after STAB for Psychic. I also thought about Hidden Power [Psychic], as it too got the Technician boost, but then I realised how idiotic that was as it was a Psychic copy that wasted my chance to use another Hidden Power! Speaking of Hidden Power, I chose Hidden Power[Fire], as it allows Mime Jr. to have a 90 Base Power Fire-type attack, essentially a Flamethrower, to break through Steel-types. Here are some calcs:
200+ SpA Technician Mime Jr. Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 228+ SpD Eviolite Bronzor: 10-12 (45.4 - 54.5%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO
200+ SpA Technician Mime Jr. Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Honedge: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
200+ SpA Technician Mime Jr. Hidden Power Fire vs. 156 HP / 76 SpD Magnemite: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
It has the capability to 2HKO the three common Steel-types, while having a chance to OHKO one of them! It gets great coverage all around with Psychic. Icy Wind hits a power of 82 after Technician, making it a little bit weaker Ice Beam. I chose Icy Wind over other moves for the fact it is kind of like a reverse Choice Scarf, without the locking of the moves, for the opponent! This is especially useful, as base 19 Pokemon Speed tie with it, everything below is now slower than Mime Jr.! This mitigates Mime Jr.'s bad Speed, while giving it an easier time to Healing Wish when the time is right! What I really wanted for Mime Jr. is Draining Kiss, as it is a base 112 Recovery move after STAB//Technician, making it a very useful move in Mime Jr.'s wide arsenal! Here are some other notable moves that you could run on Mime Jr.:
~ Baton Pass
~ Taunt
~ Encore
~ Trick
~ Calm Mind
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball
~ Infestation (idek)
~ Thunder Wave
~ Shock Wave (just a Thunderbolt, but it has the slight advantage for more PP and it doesn't check Accuracy)
~ Magic Coat
These are a lot of Mime Jr.'s options, it truly does have a huge movepool.

I've actually fallen in love with this Mime Jr. set:

Mime Jr. @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 SAtk / 196 SDef / 112 Def
Modest Nature
- Healing Wish // Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Icy Wind

Ok, so it requires a lot of explaining, but it is very effective. Mime Jr. hits 17 SpA, which is pretty powerful, but not too too powerful. Healing Wish is the main kicker of Mime Jr., what really gives a reason to use it. It brings in any other Pokemon for free and shapes them back up to brand new! Nasty Plot is the other option, doubling Mime Jr.'s Special Attack to a very high 34, allowing it to effectively sweep teams after they've been weakened. I saw somebody using Confusion on Mime Jr. today and I figured: hey! Let's try and run some calcs! And well, it is weaker than Psyshock. It hits a power of 112 after Technician and STAB, versus 120 after STAB for Psyshock, or 135 after STAB for Psychic. I also thought about Hidden Power [Psychic], as it too got the Technician boost, but then I realised how idiotic that was as it was a Psychic copy that wasted my chance to use another Hidden Power! Speaking of Hidden Power, I chose Hidden Power[Fire], as it allows Mime Jr. to have a 90 Base Power Fire-type attack, essentially a Flamethrower, to break through Steel-types. Here are some calcs:
200+ SpA Technician Mime Jr. Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 228+ SpD Eviolite Bronzor: 10-12 (45.4 - 54.5%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO
200+ SpA Technician Mime Jr. Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Honedge: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
200+ SpA Technician Mime Jr. Hidden Power Fire vs. 156 HP / 76 SpD Magnemite: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
It has the capability to 2HKO the three common Steel-types, while having a chance to OHKO one of them! It gets great coverage all around with Psychic. Icy Wind hits a power of 82 after Technician, making it a little bit weaker Ice Beam. I chose Icy Wind over other moves for the fact it is kind of like a reverse Choice Scarf, without the locking of the moves, for the opponent! This is especially useful, as base 19 Pokemon Speed tie with it, everything below is now slower than Mime Jr.! This mitigates Mime Jr.'s bad Speed, while giving it an easier time to Healing Wish when the time is right! What I really wanted for Mime Jr. is Draining Kiss, as it is a base 112 Recovery move after STAB//Technician, making it a very useful move in Mime Jr.'s wide arsenal! Here are some other notable moves that you could run on Mime Jr.:
~ Baton Pass
~ Taunt
~ Encore
~ Trick
~ Calm Mind
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball
~ Infestation (idek)
~ Thunder Wave
~ Shock Wave (just a Thunderbolt, but it has the slight advantage for more PP and it doesn't check Accuracy)
~ Magic Coat
These are a lot of Mime Jr.'s options, it truly does have a huge movepool.

Yeah, I'm perpetually sad that it doesn't get Draining Kiss, but it gets Charge Beam and all kinds of other gnarly stuff! I'm glad that you responded to this thread with this, because I had no idea that Mime Jr. was even all that usable!

You did forget to mention Pawniard and Ferroseed with the Steel calcs, though. You could probably OHKO Ferroseed, but what about Pawniard? It's a more serious threat to Mime Jr. than the other Steel-types.

Also, somebody needs to try making an Infestation set with Mime Jr. Maybe it could also use Thunder Wave for maximum trolling?

Yeah, I'm perpetually sad that it doesn't get Draining Kiss, but it gets Charge Beam and all kinds of other gnarly stuff! I'm glad that you responded to this thread with this, because I had no idea that Mime Jr. was even all that usable!

You did forget to mention Pawniard and Ferroseed with the Steel calcs, though. You could probably OHKO Ferroseed, but what about Pawniard? It's a more serious threat to Mime Jr. than the other Steel-types.

Also, somebody needs to try making an Infestation set with Mime Jr. Maybe it could also use Thunder Wave for maximum trolling?
I forgot to add in Life Orb to those calcs!
200+ SpA Life Orb Technician Mime Jr. Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 228+ SpD Eviolite Bronzor: 13-16 (59 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
200+ SpA Life Orb Technician Mime Jr. Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Honedge: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
200+ SpA Life Orb Technician Mime Jr. Hidden Power Fire vs. 156 HP / 76 SpD Magnemite: 23-29 (109.5 - 138%) -- guaranteed OHKO
200+ SpA Life Orb Technician Mime Jr. Hidden Power Fire vs. 164 HP / 148 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 26-31 (113 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
200+ SpA Life Orb Technician Mime Jr. Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

So it has a slim chance of making a OHKO on Pawniard!
Also, here's an Infestation set I guess:
Mime Jr. @ Binding Band
Ability: Filter
EVs: 196 SDef / 116 HP / 196 Def
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Toxic
- Infestation
- Protect

I appreciate the effort in writing this. However, we have a Fairy Type thread here. If you want to make this into an on-site article or letter, a better place to propose this is here. I think this is better suited as a letter than an article (letters are basically short articles). If you want to write this up as a letter, I approve. In the future, though, ask for approval before making threads.

edit: If you do want to make this into a Letter, I would recommend you talking to some people / getting some assistance in doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)