Fairy Type in XY Little Cup

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mime Jr is probably good. It was never really a bad Pokemon, just nobody used it. Too bad it's only fairy stab is technician hidden power

Mime Jr is probably good. It was never really a bad Pokemon, just nobody used it. Too bad it's only fairy stab is technician hidden power
I tried her out in Gen IV and she impressed me...although I can't remember what set I ran ^^'. Trick, Taunt, Dual Screens, Encore, Thunder Wave, Baton Pass, Fake Out, Healing Wish, Fake Out, and Hypnosis is a pretty damn impressive support movepool. Looking now, Mime Jr. has a pretty great offensive movepool as well, Psychic, Psyshock, Thunderbolt or Technician Shock Wave, Shadow Ball, Signal Beam, Technician Round, and Technician Icy Wind, backed by Nasty Plot and Calm Mind, but...yeah, she doesn't have anything to get past Steels, especially Ferroseed and Magnemite, if she runs Hidden Power Fairy.

Probably gonna mostly abuse that beautiful support movepool, anyway. 16 max speed isn't really enough to sweep with Nasty Plot, especially when your physical defense is that bad. Maybe a bulky CM / HP Fairy / Tbolt / Recycle could work, but it's pretty bad compared to just straight up CM Swirlix, unless you forgo Tbolt to run something like Encore or Hypnosis.

Last edited:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Most research is pointing towards HP Fairy not actually existing, so Mime Jr. doesn't actually get a Fairy move as of right now.

However, as for moves that Pokemon _do_ learn, Swirlix gets Belly Drum via Egg. This might be a tad more dangerous than the CM version, since it can run:

Swirlix @ Berry Juice
Unburden
Adamant Nature
w/e EVs
-Play Rough
-Return
-Belly Drum
-Thief / Flamethrower

It gets absolutely nothing in the way of physical coverage, but I don't think there's actually anything in LC that resists Fairy / Normal / Dark, so it isn't "terrible".

edit: Thief is probably bad with Unburden but I don't think much is surviving a +6 Play Rough to begin with.

Most research is pointing towards HP Fairy not actually existing, so Mime Jr. doesn't actually get a Fairy move as of right now.

However, as for moves that Pokemon _do_ learn, Swirlix gets Belly Drum via Egg. This might be a tad more dangerous than the CM version, since it can run:

Swirlix @ Berry Juice
Unburden
Adamant Nature
w/e EVs
-Play Rough
-Return
-Belly Drum
-Thief / Flamethrower

It gets absolutely nothing in the way of physical coverage, but I don't think there's actually anything in LC that resists Fairy / Normal / Dark, so it isn't "terrible".

edit: Thief is probably bad with Unburden but I don't think much is surviving a +6 Play Rough to begin with.
+6 212+ Atk Swirlix Play Rough vs. 196 HP / 248+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 16-21 (64 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
44 SpA Swirlix Flamethrower vs. 244 HP / 68 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 16-20 (66.66 - 83.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 212+ Atk Swirlix Play Rough vs. 236 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 18-22 (69.23 - 84.61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
HOLY...

Although...I'm not sure if Unburden deactivates if you steal another item? Also your EVs might be 20 HP / 212 Atk / 44 SpA / 204 Spe with Lonely/Naughty nature. I guess you could invest a bit more into Special Attack to hit harder with Flamethrower? You could also forgo HP IVs so you can have an even 22 HP. I can see this working if you eliminate all your opponent's Steels first I guess.

+6 212+ Atk Swirlix Play Rough vs. 196 HP / 248+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 16-21 (64 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
44 SpA Swirlix Flamethrower vs. 244 HP / 68 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 16-20 (66.66 - 83.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 212+ Atk Swirlix Play Rough vs. 236 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 18-22 (69.23 - 84.61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
HOLY...

Although...I'm not sure if Unburden deactivates if you steal another item? Also your EVs might be 20 HP / 212 Atk / 44 SpA / 204 Spe with Lonely/Naughty nature. I guess you could invest a bit more into Special Attack to hit harder with Flamethrower? You could also forgo HP IVs so you can have an even 22 HP. I can see this working if you eliminate all your opponent's Steels first I guess.
Wouldn't all of these run berry juice? Its not banned yet.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I think it's about time this thread was revitalized! ♥

Some things I've discovered since last posting here:

• Gastly, Abra, Tentacool, Staryu, Chinchou, Nosepass, Oddish, and Budew have access to Dazzling Gleam, giving them a new edge with this added Fairy-type coverage option
  • Sweet Veil, an ability only available to Swirlix in XY LC, prevents all of your teammates from falling asleep and it doesn't have to be the active Pokemon in battle; it only needs to be alive and on your team It turns out Sweet Veil only acts as the ability Insomnia in singles and only protects "allies" in Double Battles when both are active.
So, two things I'd like to raise discussion about here now are Fairy-type offensive coverage in the current metagame, and the ability Sweet Veil. Gastly's 18 Speed and base 100 Special Attack allow it the offensive presence to nail both Fighting-types and Dark-types both in one strong attack. Abra's 19 Speed and base 105 Special Attack are even more impressive and it now has this Fairy-type attack at its disposal as well. Tentacool and Chinchou finally have something to hit Fighting-types with super-effective damage and they've been without this for a very long time. Instead of Staryu resorting to Psychic to corrupt Fighting-types with, it now has an attack that hits them hard AND hits the likes of Dark-type threats it meets often in offensive scenarios (like Murkrow) both in one move. Nosepass is an interesting option, but with its huge base 135 Defense stat, Fighting-types that hit it super-effectively can be better kept at bay as Nosepass supports its team with options like Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave, and maintaining momentum with Volt Switch and its low Speed to bring in a teammate for free. Oddish, with Chlorophyll, is able to make use of the unbanned Drought that Vulpix brings this generation and it has a new option to hit Dark- and Fighting-types hard while its Speed is doubled, giving it a new offensive edge. One of the more unappreciated mons, Budew, has access to this move as well, and with its Natural Cure ability, Poison typing, and Toxic Spikes, it might make for an interesting candidate for a teamslot now or in the future.

Edit: Don't hate on Nosepass. I used a Quiet HP Ice/Thunder Wave/Rock Blast/Stealth Rock set during the Sneasel era and I used it to check Sneasel and Yanma, and to lure Gligar into a OHKO on the switch-in. It had to be played conservatively in order to put in work, but it was great nonetheless.

As far as the ability Sweet Veil, reading its description "Prevents allies from being put to Sleep" made me think it's meaning that it prevents Sleep in scenarios only in doubles, where the Sweet Veil carrier and a teammate can both be active at the same time. But, after using Hypnosis Yanma for a while, I was unable to put random Pokemon to Sleep with Hypnosis in three battles on Showdown; it would hit them and say "Failed", while they were not holding Safety Goggles and not Pokemon that have any kind of abilities that prevent Sleep. In all three instances, the players I faced had a Swirlix on their team. This led me to conclude that Sweet Veil prevents all teammates from falling asleep as long as it's on the team, and doesn't even have to active in battle to achieve this. If it turns out that this is some kind of bug/coincidence that's making me assume something about the Sweet Veil ability that isn't true, I apologize in advance, but I'm somewhat convinced this is the case. Isn't this great for blocking Sleep Powder from Tangela and Hypnosis from Compound Eyes Yanma? It turns out Sweet Veil only acts as the ability Insomnia in singles and only protects "allies" in Double Battles when both are active.

How do you think Fairy-type offensive coverage in Dazzling Gleam affects the metagame now or how do you think it might affect it in the future? Bear in mind that strategies are still being formed and many potentially awesome tactics/sets/combos still have yet to be discovered!

Discuss! ♥

Last edited:

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i feel that losing unburden on Swirlix is taking away its best asset. I guess you could run more of a support Lix with like wish / aromatherapy / light screen. It could work but it doesn't really fit my play style.

Also the pokes that got dazzling gleam already have kinda bad 4 move slot syndrome. Scarf Gastly with dazzling gleam could work but lax can trap you all day.

I've run abra with dazzling gleam and its worked out pretty well. A set of Psychic/Dazzling Gleam/HP Fire/Filler (I like encore myself) worked pretty well. Its worse against stuff like Honedge and missy but it beats things that thought they got a free switch like scraggy or murkrow.

I've run abra with dazzling gleam and its worked out pretty well. A set of Psychic/Dazzling Gleam/HP Fire/Filler (I like encore myself) worked pretty well. Its worse against stuff like Honedge and missy but it beats things that thought they got a free switch like scraggy or murkrow.
If you have trouble with those then why not ruun shadow ball as you filler move?

My Abra runs Shadowball/Psyshock/HP Fire/Dazzling Gleam.
Also, I use Unburden Swirlix with Cotton Guard/Calm Mind/Flamethrower/Draining Kiss. Start off using the move that boosts defenses against the opponent's attacking type (physical/special), keep boosting anything until Berry Juice triggers and then proceed to sweep with Draining Kiss. Flamethrower is obviously in for coverage against Steel types. I originally had HP Ground on the set instead of Flamethrower, but a test match against Goddess Briyella quickly reminded me that Levitate Bronzor is a thing... And it can beat a +2 SpAtk, +2 SpDef, +4 Def Swirlix while taking almost no damage. The main wall to Fairy/Fire coverage in LC is Skrelp and Tentacool, but they can be easily dealt with after a Calm Mind or two. 75% recovery on Draining Kiss is VERY significant.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
16:10 apt-get: marty said it was a glitch
16:11 apt-get: that it prevented sleep on the team

Disappointing news regarding Sweet Veil. It is not supposed to block its entire team from Sleep status and therefore is only supposed to act as the ability Insomnia in singles. It can be safely assumed that Spritzee's Aroma Veil does not block its entire team from "moves that limit move choices", and thus is supposed to only protect Spritzee from Taunt, Encore, Disable, and Torment outside of Double Battles. Any sleep prevention for the rest of the team in Little Cup is a glitch and is not supposed to happen.

</3

Last edited:
Where in god's name is the talk on Spritzee? I personally feel as though Spritzee is by far the best Fairy-type in LC. It has fantastic 78/60/65 bulk, which is boosted considerably by Eviolite, especially considering that it gets reliable recovery with Wish. Spritzee can support its team with Wish and Protect or play the role of a late-game booster with Calm Mind. Hell, if you want to, you can do both, a la Musharna in BW NU, by running Wish / Aromatherapy / Calm Mind / Moonblast. It also has Aroma Veil, which keeps moves such as Taunt and Encore from effecting it. Without a doubt, Spritzee is the most reliable Fairy-type in LC, but I suppose because it isn't quite as immediately threatening as Swirlix, it loses the limelight quite a bit. Still, it's truly a stellar Pokemon in LC, and it is straight up criminal that it hasn't been brought up once in a thread about Fairy-types. I mean, Mime Jr. of all Pokemon has seen more discussion ._____________.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Would a set of Rest/Sleep Talk/Calm Mind/Moonblast be viable, a la Suicune?

I'm glad the Sweet Veil issue has been answered.
Calm Mind sets should be easily countered by Frost Breath now that it has the same effective power as Ice Beam. I think losing the 10% freeze chance is worth the guarantee to break through SpDef boosts.

Calm Mind sets should be easily countered by Frost Breath now that it has the same effective power as Ice Beam. I think losing the 10% freeze chance is worth the guarantee to break through SpDef boosts.
People don't use it because of 90% accuracy, and it's also horribly distributed. Amaura has Refrigerator Nature Power Tri Attack (104 BP), Snover has Blizzard, Bergmite is physical, Smoochum/Spheal/Vanillite/Cubchoo are garbage.

People don't use it because of 90% accuracy, and it's also horribly distributed. Amaura has Refrigerator Nature Power Tri Attack (104 BP), Snover has Blizzard, Bergmite is physical, Smoochum/Spheal/Vanillite/Cubchoo are garbage.
True enough. Frost Breath is a TM now, so maybe better distribution once Pokebank comes out?
ALso, I still believe some unreleased old Pokemon may be Fairy and we don't know it yet.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
True enough. Frost Breath is a TM now, so maybe better distribution once Pokebank comes out?
ALso, I still believe some unreleased old Pokemon may be Fairy and we don't know it yet.
Frost Breath is generally only available to Ice-types bar Kyurem (Smeargle gets it for obvious reasons), but in Little Cup its distribution can be expected to be limited to Ice-types as it has been.

Spritzee
Type: Fairy
Abilities: Healer, Aroma Veil
Base stats: 78 HP / 52 Atk / 60 Def / 63 SpA / 65 SpD / 23 Spe

We probably shouldn't get off topic though. How does everyone feel about Spritzee? A Wish passing setup mon that is immune to Taunt and Encore! It's also very slow and gets Trick Room! ♥

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)