Fairy Type in XY Little Cup

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
(Approved by blarajan)

As you all probably know by now, competitive Pokemon has been blessed with a new type this generation. This is a type with a unique set of weaknesses, resistances, and also an immunity. There are some players who believe the new Fairy type won't have a significant effect on the Little Cup metagame this generation, but there are several notable attributes the type has that may very well prove otherwise. Let's take a closer look... Fairy type is:

• Weak to Poison and Steel
  • Resistant to Dark, Fighting, and Bug
  • Immune to Dragon
  • Fairy moves are strong against Dark, Fighting, and Dragon
  • Fairy moves are resisted by Poison, Steel, and Fire

First of all, Poison and Steel have typically been very uncommon attacking types throughout all of the tiers in the past, and Little Cup is no exception. Foongus might have run Clear Smog, Pawniard might have run Iron Head, and Magnemite and Bronzor might have run Flash Cannon, but realistically, these kinds of coverage never made a huge impact, as they were just not conventional or strong against much. In earlier generations, Poison moves were ONLY super effective on Grass; Steel moves were ONLY super effective on Rock and Ice, while Fighting moves were strong against both of those types as well as three more, making Fighting coverage outclass Steel coverage almost entirely (There were very few exceptions, like Dwebble being weak to Steel and not Fighting, but again, not very significant since Fighting types walled Dwebble's STABs anyway). Considering this new addition of Fairy type, it can be reasonably assumed that Poison and Steel coverage will actually exist so that Fairy types can be checked. There are only four moves in a moveset, so this will add new defining lines to who can deal with what. So will we see more Poison and Steel coverage this gen? Will we be seeing more Poison and Steel types step up with a new-found usefulness to shine this time around? Will Gastly become the preferred Ghost type with its Poison STAB and with Missy unavailable until Pokebank is released? These kinds of things are to be wondered, and not only whether or not they will see more use, but also to what respective degrees they will impact the Little Cup metagame.

Second, Fighting was a very dominating type last generation, with top threats like Mienfoo and Scraggy nailing things with excellent STAB Fighting coverage. Moves like Drain Punch (deals good damage and also aids in overall survivability) and Hi Jump Kick (very high damage) were unquestionably among the best moves of Generation V Little Cup. Dark was a very popular attacking type as well, so that the monstrous Misdreavus could be threatened, and it was often used as coverage alongside Fighting. Every Fighting type last generation could be expected to carry Dark coverage, and moves like Sucker Punch were also used by the likes of Houndour, Stunky, and even heavy hitters like Murkrow to assure certain KOs. Well, Fairy resists BOTH of these types and ALSO has a type advantage on them offensively. Fighting and Dark are sure to be brought down a notch, but the question is exactly how and to what degree. So... Will Fighting types see less use? Riolu and Scraggy had Drain Punch/Crunch, and Timburr and Mienfoo had Drain Punch/Payback. Fairy resists all of these. Will Dark/Fighting coverage become less encouraged or not used much at all? It's also worth noting that Fairy types also resist U-turn, which makes Mienfoo's entire typical coverage from last generation completely resisted. With these points, it's not an outlandish thought that Fairy types may have a hand in shifting the metagame this generation.

I think this is worth a mention as well: Fire resists Fairy. This gives Fire a total of SIX resistances now. It would be nice to see Fire used more often since it resists so much (it also resists Steel, which may very well see more offensive use, see above), especially on mons who are able to heal with Morning Sun. Some of you reading this are probably thinking "Fire will never be respected for its resistances because it's weak to Ground, Water, and Rock, which also means it has a crippling Stealth Rock weakness". Its weaknesses cannot be denied, but to be fair, popular new picks this generation Tyrunt and Honedge (both unable to recover) are also both weak to Ground, as well as other things. Also, we may be moving toward a more hazardless metagame, with the new buff Defog got this generation, which removes hazards from both sides. To get a more in-depth idea of how significant this addition is, have a look at Chieliee's Defog thread. Fire types may very well see more use due to Fairy type being added. This is an important thing to consider, especially with Vulpix unbanned. It's also notable that a few Chlorophyll carriers also have Poison STAB, and so Fairy may give rise to these having use as well, since Drought is now available. It is true that permanent weather was nerfed to 5 turns, but it can still be used to great effect. It's just not nearly as abusable as it was. For more information on the Fire type this generation, check out Charmander's Fire type thread.

"Yeah yeah, these new Fairy types have cool attributes and are supposedly going to change the game or whatever but they won't really have an impact because they all suck anyway."

Is that so? Since there does appear to be some doubts of Fairy type's potential impact in the community, let's have a look at some of these new LC hard hitters:

Swirlix

62 HP / 48 Attack / 66 Defense / 59 Special Attack / 57 Special Defense / 49 Speed
Ability: Sweet Veil
Hidden Ability: Unburden​

Swirlix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
Level: 5
EVs: 20 HP / 68 Def / 204 SAtk / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam / Draining Kiss
- Flamethrower
- Surf / Psychic

This thing is an absolute monster. If it takes a hit as it sets up a Calm Mind, it is restored to full health again with Berry Juice, while activating Unburden to double its Speed in the process (tanking a Knock Off will also double Speed). Dazzling Gleam is the strongest attack, hitting Fighting, Dark, and Dragon types incredibly hard, but Draining Kiss can be used for survivability, and the drop in power isn't that bad after having set up. Flamethrower is to roast the Steels that will attempt to wall its Fairy attack, and Surf is to punish the Fire types that wall both of the other attacks. Swirlix is very difficult to stop once it gets going and is a force to be reckoned with. Dragons, Fighting types and Dark types beware.

Snubbull

60 HP / 80 Attack/ 50 Defense / 40 Special Attack / 40 Special Defense / 30 Speed
Abilities: Intimidate, Run Away
Hidden Ability: Rattled​

Snubbull @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 116 Def / 36 SDef / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Close Combat / Ice Punch
- Thunder Wave

Snubbull was historically just a punching bag for Fighting types, but now it's back with a vengeance. Play Rough is the main attack, and is very powerful; it does have the slight tendency to miss, having 90% accuracy, but the sheer power of it more than compensates for this. Earthquake is used to nail all 3 types that resist Fairy (Poison, Steel, and Fire) and therefore is awesome coverage. Close Combat is another high powered move that's almost too good to pass up, but Ice Punch is there to nail Gligar, which otherwise can give this set problems. Thunder Wave cripples potential checks on the switch-in. The Intimidate ability is incredible for it, as combined with Eviolite it allows Snubbull to stand up to huge threats such as Murkrow and Sneasel and literally either destroy them outright or scare them off. Fighting types no longer stand a chance.

The new Fairy type can potentially change the Little Cup metagame in many ways! How will players deal with this new addition? What do you think? Discuss! ♥

Also, join the Little Cup room on Pokemon Showdown!

Last edited:
I think swirlix will definitely be a contender in LC. Being resistant to fighting type attacks is an enormous benefit in LC, and that will allow it to setup the CM and start the sweep. Plus who doesnt love unburden on Berry Juice?

But for snubbull, i think hes the odd man out here. Sure it can pack a punch with 80 atk, but the speed is what is going to kill this poor fella. I feel like he could have been nice if he had something special to offer, but without eviolite snubbull cant take a hit, and its way too slow. And since knock-off is going to be huge this gen (i think so at least, why wouldnt you run it if you had it available?) i feel like it will lose that early on due to speed issues. Now you could run berry juice to help it stay alive, but again, without eviolite, snubbull is going to have a hard time taking a poison jab from anything.

snubbull is very good. you can claim that it isn't that great because it has no reliable recovery, but honestly it actually has very solid defenses (60/50/40) with eviolite and on top of intimidate it pretty much shuts down any physical fighting / dark types like timburr and mienfoo. its movepool is also extremely well rounded in my opinion; play rough, earthquake, close combat, crunch, thunder wave, body slam, counter, ice fang, ice punch, heal bell, etc are all extremely viable options that can work well. it doesn't need the speed so it's free to invest in attack and defenses, which makes its ev spread a lot better in the fact that it's just a big bulky offensive pokemon that can poke holes with nice coverage and fairy typing, along with utility intimidate. yes, i'm going to repeat what i just said. snubbull does not need speed because it is a big bulky attacker. people also really underestimate snubbull's physical coverage, which is a huge boon.

swirlix is making its mark too. it has three fantastic sets that it can run. subcm is a great sweeper when it gets the opportunity and gets a lot of opportunities to set up against fighting types. 4 attacks is a wonderful cleaner and gets great coverage with swirlix's nice offensive movepool. cm + 3 attacks can function as both very well. honestly i think the biggest problem swirlix has is that it suffers from huge 4mss in terms of what it wants to hit on the 4 attack and cm + 3 attack set. it also doesn't really hit that hard at times which kind of hurts its viability so it really needs to use its fairy typing to its advantage or else it's hard to fight for a team slot. unburden is fucking great though and with berry juice it's just a dirty combo that pretty much makes getting up one cm guaranteed almost all of the time unless you're really dumb about how you play it / when you send it out. swirlix is going to be a staple on hyper offensive teams though imo just because of that fantastic coverage, ability to poke holes BECAUSE of its fantastic coverage, and unburden + berry juice shenanigans.

unfortunately cottonee hasn't gotten its fairy typing yet on PS!, so i haven't been able to test it, but cottonee is looking like a nice fairy type. 40/60/50 is decent defensive stats (the 60 def is a huge boon for physical fighting attacks!) and 66 speed is nice. pranskter is an amazing ability and cottonee has a great support movepool. stun spore, charm, taunt, encore, momento, tickle, knock off, leech seed, and substitute are all great moves for support. i cannot wait to try out cottonee because it is basically the bane of set up sweepers while supporting your own set up sweepers. cottonee + scraggy is sounding like a very cool core synergy wise (fuck flying) and support wise.

-

the biggest detriment to fairies right now is that honedge is running around the tier like wildfire and that a lot of fighting and dark types get poison coverage in the form of poison jab (sneasel, mienfoo, scraggy, timburr???). luckily honedge is slow as fuck and swirlix can nail it with flamethrower / snubbull gets earthquake, so it's not too big of a problem. i suspect that a lot more sneasels will run poison jab (although knock off + ice punch probably ko's anything not invested in bulk so i'm not totally sure on that), mienfoo might drop fake out for poison jab while outspeeding modest swirlix will be very important to it now, and standard scraggy will probably be hjk or drain punch / knock off / pjab. also i'm pretty sure defensive mienfoo is dead now.

tl;dr snubbull is great, swirlix is great, cottonee is a huge wild card but looks promising, honedge isn't too threatening, poison jab will see more use on fightings / darks. also if anyone is wondering what set's i think will become standard for fightings:

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SDef / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- High Jump Kick / Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Mienfoo @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 156 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch / High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

yeah obv those sets aren't perfect and the mienfoo set is a little shaky in terms of ev's and stuff but i'm pretty sure they're close to what's going to become popular. :)

oh lordy i had forgotton that cottonee is fairy now(later). That was my favorite prankster....i cant wait to use that again.

Cottonee@Eviolite
Encore
Knock-ff
Sub
Seed

no berry juice, but with Sub/seed priority i think it will make do without it. on a related note, does knock-off get rid of items if you have a sub up? or will infiltrator do it?

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I definitely agree that Swirlix is a super huge threat in the current meta, and my team was having a lot of trouble hitting fairies hard so I think I would like to bring up one of the best counters to Swirlix, while still being a decent check to Granbull (watch out for Earthquake).

Skrelp @ Eviolite/Berry Juice (not sure tbh, as eviolite lets it take random t-bolts from swirlix)
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 116 Def / 196 SAtk / 196 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

Adaptability sludge bomb hits the fairies like, well, a bomb, while Skrelp still has the ability to hurt switch ins like Gligar and other physically offensive mons with adaptability scald or hydro pump (I actually am trying to come up with a different move than Hydro Pump, but I guess it still hits extremely hard). This is probably the best Swirlix counter in the tier, which is nice and allows you to run some more fairy weak mons. (I hope this was an okay place to post this, but Skrelp is cool, and relevant!)

I definitely agree that Swirlix is a super huge threat in the current meta, and my team was having a lot of trouble hitting fairies hard so I think I would like to bring up one of the best counters to Swirlix, while still being a decent check to Granbull (watch out for Earthquake).

Skrelp @ Eviolite/Berry Juice (not sure tbh, as eviolite lets it take random t-bolts from swirlix)
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 116 Def / 196 SAtk / 196 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

Adaptability sludge bomb hits the fairies like, well, a bomb, while Skrelp still has the ability to hurt switch ins like Gligar and other physically offensive mons with adaptability scald or hydro pump (I actually am trying to come up with a different move than Hydro Pump, but I guess it still hits extremely hard). This is probably the best Swirlix counter in the tier, which is nice and allows you to run some more fairy weak mons. (I hope this was an okay place to post this, but Skrelp is cool, and relevant!)

I Like that a dragon type is the fairy counter. Hah pardon me, i had thought it was dragon/poison like its evolution.

I think Swirlix outspeeds it (for sure after unburden) so chances are high that it will get a CM off before you can bomb it, does it hit hard enough to OHKO (after rocks or spikes) through a +1 S.Def?

Also maybe drop hydro pump for Shadow ball to hit a predicted switch abra, meditite, or honedge, just a thought.

Last edited:
I Like that a dragon type is the fairy counter.
I think Swirlix outspeeds it (for sure after unburden) so chances are high that it will get a CM off before you can bomb it, does it hit hard enough to OHKO (after rocks or spikes) through a +1 S.Def?

Also maybe drop hydro pump for Shadow ball to hit a predicted switch abra, meditite, or honedge, just a thought.
skrelp is water / poison???

I've personally not liked Skrelp because it always gets nuked by Gligar. My best Swirlix check/revenge killer currently is:

Meditite (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pure Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch/HJK
- Ice Punch/Coverage

Fake Out+Bullet Punch have always koed it from full hp and fake out does ~40% so it won't activate Berry Juice.
Also Meditite does really well revenging all the sturdy shell smashers. Fake out breaks sturdy and then bullet punch drops Dweeble to really low hp/koes it and drain punch or HJK nukes Turt if he Aqua Jets. Personally I use drain punch, but others like the power boost.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
personally, i like tentacool > skrelp as a better team supporter and spd pivot that can take on fairies such as swirlix just as well. a set of scald / sludge wave / rapid spin / filler is what i've been using.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
personally, i like tentacool > skrelp as a better team supporter and spd pivot that can take on fairies such as swirlix just as well. a set of scald / sludge wave / rapid spin / filler is what i've been using.
Adaptability is what makes Skrelp's STAB Poison attacks so strong. Tentacool can't deal with Swirlix in quite the same way because it doesn't have this instant power boost.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
they both beat swirlix, thus they have the same functional ability. yeah tenta might not be able to ohko +1 swirlix, but it's the same outcome. how is that not dealing with it? i'm not saying that tenta is better, but it can also deal with swirlix and provide other utilities that skrelp cannot. skrelp can deal with swirlix and provide a strong special attacker. that's what i'm saying.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
they both beat swirlix, thus they have the same functional ability. yeah tenta might not be able to ohko +1 swirlix, but it's the same outcome. how is that not dealing with it? i'm not saying that tenta is better, but it can also deal with swirlix and provide other utilities that skrelp cannot. skrelp can deal with swirlix and provide a strong special attacker. that's what i'm saying.
Oh, of course. Tentacool has always been a solid support mon, as is the case with its evolution. It is similar to Skrelp in that it has the same typing and can deal with it in a similar way, but if you think about how dangerous Swirlix is with Unburden and Calm Mind, getting the OHKO on it is much better than hitting it once, having Berry Juice restore it to full health, and then hitting you back with two fast +1 super effective Thunderbolts/Psychics. Tentacool is a solid mon in its own right, but Skrelp is 100% the better option to check Swirlix in all cases, because it can hit it once and end it before it gets out of hand and before Berry Juice/Unburden even activates.

It's also notable that Eviolite provides the same +1 boost as Calm Mind. So that should mean that if Swirlix holds Eviolite, Skrelp still OHKOs it outright if it doesn't have boosts. That is strong.

Last edited:

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
actually, if you really want to factor in tbolt, tentacool does a better job handling swirlix.

+1 tbolt vs. the calm skrelp set posted w/ berry juice:
(95.23 - 114.28%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO

+1 tbolt vs. spd tentacool w/ berry juice:
16-20 (69.56 - 86.95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

skrelp has to pray on a pretty much 50/50 to not be ko'd by tbolt, where as tenta can soak the tbolt, hit back with sludge wave, heal up with berry juice, soak another tbolt, and then proceed to 2hko swirlix. yes, you can run eviolite on skrelp, but then you're right back to where we were, with the idea that both skrelp and tentacool pretty much handle swirlix the same.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
actually, if you really want to factor in tbolt, tentacool does a better job handling swirlix.

+1 tbolt vs. the calm skrelp set posted w/ berry juice:
(95.23 - 114.28%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO

+1 tbolt vs. spd tentacool w/ berry juice:
16-20 (69.56 - 86.95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

skrelp has to pray on a pretty much 50/50 to not be ko'd by tbolt, where as tenta can soak the tbolt, hit back with sludge wave, heal up with berry juice, soak another tbolt, and then proceed to 2hko swirlix. yes, you can run eviolite on skrelp, but then you're right back to where we were, with the idea that both skrelp and tentacool pretty much handle swirlix the same.
"where as tenta can soak the tbolt, hit back with sludge wave, heal up with berry juice, soak another tbolt, and then proceed to 2hko swirlix"

You're forgetting that Swirlix ALSO has Berry Juice and that it will outspeed Tentacool after Berry Juice activates and makes it impossible for Tentacool to kill it in one hit. So that will give Tentacool one turn to move afterward. It won't get to 2HKO Swirlix because it will be outsped and killed on the second Thunderbolt.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
ok sorry about that total brain shit, you are right. then in the instance of tbolt swirlix, skrelp is superior. thanks for correcting me.

blaraedit: skrelp looks delicious oh my god

Last edited by a moderator:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
ok sorry about that total brain shit, you are right. then in the instance of tbolt swirlix, skrelp is superior. thanks for correcting me.
It's all good discussion. It's not about who's right. :) We're all learning here, no worries. ♥

I actually just found out Swirlix gets Psychic, so it may run that instead of Thunderbolt to nail Skrelp and Tentacool, as well a wide variety of would-be Poison type checks/counters that may arise soon. And if Skrelp is the only real outright threat to it, Psychic may prove to be a better option than Thunderbolt as the coverage is more sensible.

(Sorry if I swayed too far away from Fairy discussion in this post but it's something I did feel was relevant to the metagame since we were on the topic of Skrelp checking Swirlix)

its a shame this is all we really have for fairy. Spritzee and to a lesser extent Flabebe can run marginally decent bulky sets and I'm sure cottonee will be cool (damn you taking so long pokebank!) but aside from them they're all terrible. Still, for what we have, I've played with both my little pooch and the incredible pink puff ball, and both have gone far and beyond my expectations. Swirlix takes the old CM drifloon and tacks on a better typing for insane results, and snubbull is a small angry little monster.

I've gotta breed me a snubbull and prove that heal bell is still a godamn egg move (like it has been for the past 3 gens). I personally would much prefer it over t-wave.

I think Thunderbolt will be a much better coverage move than Psychic since it can hit Murkrow.

Actually... How strong do you think Croagunk will be in the new meta? It carries all of Fighting's coverage AND it is STAB Poison to counter Fairies.

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I think Thunderbolt will be a much better coverage move than Psychic since it can hit Murkrow.

Actually... How strong do you think Croagunk will be in the new meta? It carries all of Fighting's coverage AND it is STAB Poison to counter Fairies.
STAB Dazzling Gleam does more to Murkrow than Thunderbolt.

unfortunately cottonee hasn't gotten its fairy typing yet on PS!, so i haven't been able to test it, but cottonee is looking like a nice fairy type. 40/60/50 is decent defensive stats (the 60 def is a huge boon for physical fighting attacks!) and 66 speed is nice. pranskter is an amazing ability and cottonee has a great support movepool. stun spore, charm, taunt, encore, momento, tickle, knock off, leech seed, and substitute are all great moves for support. i cannot wait to try out cottonee because it is basically the bane of set up sweepers while supporting your own set up sweepers. cottonee + scraggy is sounding like a very cool core synergy wise (fuck flying) and support wise.
Actually cottonee didn't get the fairy-typing this gen. Only it's evolution got it.

Actually cottonee didn't get the fairy-typing this gen. Only it's evolution got it.
So far we know, no one faced a Cottonee in the Battle Maison or used cheats for catching a Cottonee. So we still don't know if Cottonee is Fairy or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)