Monotype fairy monotype

Hello everybody! hope this post reads well and that I've followed all the rules adequately. Before seeing my team, let me give you some context on why i've done certain things. This team specifically, is for a local monotype tournament in which legendries and mega evo's aren't allowed but dynamax is. The pokemon on the enemy team will also be hidden.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Defog
- Dazzling Gleam
I felt that klefki works really well in these types and teams especially considering how good spikes are with prankster. the reason klefki is not my screens user is because i believe klefki just can't do quite do as much if it was a stacking hazards support poke. The reason I choose dazzling gleam and defog over toxic is so enemy's can't setup on me for free, also running defog means i can keep it alive the whole game which is fun for the enemy. klefki will be a hard poke to swap around. klefki has the best defensive typing and i feel by forcing it to run screens you're really holding it back.
Overall klefki will be a good hazards/status setup Pokémon.

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Spirit Break
Grimmsnarl will be my screens setter. having two 2 prankster users will definitely give me some flexibility around setup sweepers. i will 100% of the time be leading with this grimmsnarl to then go into my sweepers. I feel like grimmsnarl will be a good setup sweeper shutdown pokemon as although klefki is good at hazards, they might not be able to fully stop a setup.
Overall grimmsnarl will be a good screen setter/sweep prevention Pokémon.

Hatterene @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Gigantamax: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire
Why is she even here? who knows honestly I've been very on the ropes about this poke but felt as if it was necessary in order to get anywhere in the tournament. the only reason she's been thrown on my team is to be my answer to an opposing dynamax Pokémon. she's kinda a last resort/ last pokemon i'd be sending out because of the trickroom.
Overall hatterene will be a good answer to opposing dynamax.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Knock Off
- Substitute
We all knew he would be here, the godsent fairy sweeper, one of the best belly drum users. if I can get a substitute up on this mon it's game over for the enemy. he will be my top 1 user of the screens as he can be quite vunerable after the belly drum. the main strat here is after screens are up, swap to azumarill and belly drum into substitute if i can get the substitute off, if not straight into aqua jet.
Overall azumarill will be a good setup sweeper.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
after looking at my i was thinking i needed some more offense as fairy mono excels at good hyper offense so here we are with my backup sweeper. If all else fails and azumarill gets demolished i'll be able to pull out another sweeper with some good defensive stats to back them up. clefable is also an amazing swap into to scary Pokémon with high spatck and an answer to grass types that azumarill might have trouble with.
Overall clefable will be a good backup sweeper/swap in.

Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Nasty Plot
Togekiss is very difficult to deal with once i get a nasty plot up. Togekiss can also break open some heavy walls and with good luck can break walls that it definitely should not be able to break with flinch (there have been games where i've won solely off the fact i flinched the enemy to death) with some good coverage and good recovery togekiss can hopefully stay on the battlefield for a long time.
Overall a great cleanup and able to outspeed bisharp.

Hi and welcome to the RMT forum, i will try to help you with this mono team with those restriction!

Major changes:

Mimikyu > Grimmsnarl
You really don't need screens on Grimmsnarl, if ever you would prolly want to run BU Grimmsnarl with Play Rough and Sucker Punch. There is no reason to don't compress roles on klefki as its a bulkier mon that can set screens with Prankster. Mimikyu can help a lot against Ghost and Psychic which otherwise just autowin here basically, with Specs Dragapult basically 6-0ing. Disguise can also be helpful to waste a turn of opposing Dynamax, while Mimikyu can also boost itself inbetween and use Sneak to eventually revenge kill faster threats that got many boosts thanks do the Dynamax.

Minor changes:
:klefki: As I said there is no reason to don't compress roles. Running Spikes + Defog isn't also that smart as you are setting hazard just to remove them ? It also doesn't make much sense to run Dazzling Gleam over Toxic to don't allow setup sweepers to use you as setup fodder, as Toxic literally prevents them from setting up as they will die afterwards, while Dazzling Gleam doesn't do any damage to any mon, especially to threats like Volcarona.

:hatterene: You surely want Calm Mind here, I would just remove Mystical Fire if you really want to keep Trick Room but if you run Max Defense and CM you won't be easy to revenge kill by 1x moves, especially if you can also Dynamax. Psyshock can also be a good alternative to hit better Special walls like Glowking and Blissey, altho the latter could eventually lose to CM + Dkiss.

:azumarill: First of all I don't understand why you would use Substitute after Belly Drum. If ever, you have to try to use Substitute on an opponents switch-in, so that u can use Belly Drum safely behind the Sub. I would remove it tho, I really like Substitute but only with Normalium Z, which makes using BD way better. I would try Play Rough and if you don't like it then you can just keep it Sub, but use it wisely! Also avoid to directly switch-in Azu on Attack as taking 2 attacks + Rocks might not allow you to use BD.

:clefable: Not much to say, i enjoy Thunderbolt + Flamethrower as coverage moves but the STAB is always good, it's just the Tbolt can help against Flying and Water mons and with Max Airstream being abused it could be good, as we already have a whole team full with STABs.

:Togekiss: I really dislike this mon but with Dynamax it can be great as u can use Nasty Plot and then boost your Speed so yea the movepool and the spread look fine, i would prolly use Aura sphere over Roost to hit heatran and eventually sweep Steel.

Here is how the team would look with my suggestions:
https://pokepast.es/58deda94cfac2fe2
Hopefully this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

Wow! incredible breakdown and very informative. I will definitely be implementing these changes to my team and seeing how it runs. thanks so much!
btw: was definitely hoping someone would point out the trick room, it simply made no sense but i just couldn't think to put calm mind for whatever reason?
thanks once again, much love.

Wow! incredible breakdown and very informative. I will definitely be implementing these changes to my team and seeing how it runs. thanks so much!
btw: was definitely hoping someone would point out the trick room, it simply made no sense but i just couldn't think to put calm mind for whatever reason?
thanks once again, much love.
Trick Room on hatterene is for sure fine but hatterene likes Calm Mind as it makes it a powerful setup sweeper, especially behinds screens. Usually the Choice is between Trick Room and Mystical Fire, so basically u have to choose between not getting revenge killed by mons such as excadrill or if u want to have extra coverage for Steel mons and as u are bulky with screens i would rather go for the coverage, but Trick Room is also fine

hey there, sorry for asking about this in a replies but is there anywhere I could get some guidance/ tips on how to play better/play this specific team better I always feel like I'm misplaying, thanks!

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
hey there, sorry for asking about this in a replies but is there anywhere I could get some guidance/ tips on how to play better/play this specific team better I always feel like I'm misplaying, thanks!
You could try to apply for B101 tutoring when it opens up for Gen 9 Monotype, which will probably open up ...like a year from now or something until we figure out what works for the new gen

Alternatively, you can drop by the Monotype room in Pokemon Showdown and ask there as people can then watch your replays and tell where you probably went wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)