F Your Speed: Gen 5 Trick Room RMT

Hey I'm fairly new to competitive battling for pokemon, so the first few teams that I have tried out haven't had too much success, as I find it hard to stop several pokemon from setting up regardless of which team I use. With speed becoming one of the most important stats this Gen, I thought a trick room team would give most players problems as so many pokemon abuse their speed. My team started off ok, and I've made little tweaks here and there until I finally had a team with good success. Several pokemon can still be problematic (such as Shandera and TO Gliscor), so I was hoping to get some help or suggestions to improve my team. So without further ado...

THE TEAM (No pictures right now... I'll work on that)

-Tabunne@Leftovers; Ability: Regeneration
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD; Relaxed Nature(+Def, -Spe)
-Trick Room
-Encore
-Wish
-Light Screen

I stumbled upon this guy looking for Trick Room users and with good HP/Defenses, Tabunne is one of my most reliable pokemon, as he will set up trick room more than any of my other pokemon usually. Trick Room and Encore is a great way to stop pokemon who want to try and set up on me, and Wish passes over 200 health. All of his attacks suck though (especially with his stats) so I settled on Light Screen being the most useful move to put in the last slot. Taunt obviously screws him up, but I just switch out if I know it's coming. Plus every switch nets Tabunne HP back, so he can come back into the fray many times.

-Shubarugo@Life Orb; Ability: Swarm
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD; Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
-Megahorn
-Iron Head
-Swords Dance
-Pursuit

With a great typing and nice defenses to go with his base 135 Att, this guy is a freaking beast. His movepool isn't the greatest though, so I just went with his best 2 STABs. Pursuit is a nice move as he can force switches on the Psychic and Ghost types who want to run away. His attacking types are resisted by any steel type so I usually try to get those out of the way so he can just rip holes in the team with his attacks. Heatran switches into this set all day but I have several pokemon that can take him out.

-Burungeru@Leftovers; Ability: Water absorb
232 HP, 24 Def, 252 SpD; Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Will-o-Wisp
-Surf
-Recover
-Trick Room

This guy isn't the most useful on my team, but with the only 2 immunities my team has and the ability to set up trick room he still contributes every game. This guy is unfortunately my best Gliscor counter, but with him getting poison heal (which is stupid) I can't WoW him like I want to. Still he can cripple many attackers, and sadly that burn damage is the only passive damage that my team racks up. Still he has good synergy with a lot of my team and sets up TR for me, so he's pretty cool I guess.

-Kurimugan@Life Orb; Ability: Moldbreaker
176 HP, 252 Atk, 80 Def; Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
-Outrage
-Superpower
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch

Well this is the slowest dragon out there, so he fits well onto my team as I don't have to waste an item on an Iron Ball. Plus he gets access to Sucker Punch, which is good whenever TR goes down. I haven't tried running a Choice Band set yet, since he has such good coverage that my prediction doesn't have to be that great. Any EVs I have on my pokemon that isn't 252/252 is just me picking a random number out of a small area to increase whatever I want, so if there are specific ones that would be more useful, that would be good to know.

-Rankurusu@Colbur Berry; Ability: Regeneration
160 HP, 200 SpA, 148 SpD; Sassy Nature (+SpA, -Spe)
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-HP Fire

Well here's my 3rd and last trick room user. This guy doesn't usually do too much for me, but he's very useful sometimes. HP Fire is because Nattorei is ridiculously annoying if I dont have it. Colbur berry is there since trappers like Scizor I and TTar like to come in and pursuit, which is bad if TR is down. I used to run magic guard and leftovers, but changed it once I switched to a berry so he can get some health back. I had pyscho shock, but switched to psychic for a little extra power. I might switch back though.

-Roobushin@Flame Orb; Ability: Guts (Obviously)
200 HP, 248 Atk, 52 SpD; Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
-Bulk up
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Stone Edge

Well this guy is my 3rd main TR attacker, and he is a beast if he can set up a bulk up. I got tired of him taking special attacks like a little girl, so I decided to buff him up there for a little bit. He is deadly if Tabunne gets Light Screen and TR up. Moves are pretty standard, I'm obviously not going to be using payback on a TR team.

So there you go, this is my TR team and it has worked quite well for me recently. Main problems with this set is lack of certain move types (Ice, Grass), no entry hazards (although I'm usually spending my turns doing damage in trick room), lack of immunities (ground mainly), and it gets painful if my opponent sets up too many hazards. I've thought about using Nattorei to get some spikes and stuff up, but I don't really want to take out a TR user or one of my attackers. Well anyway thanks for reading, sorry for the lack of pictures. Any Pokemon or move change suggestions are appreciated.

Hi. As a lead Tabunne does not fair too well as it is taunt bait. A important part of Tr team is good synergy. So change Tabbune to Porygon2. This gives you a TR set up core. With Evo Stone Porygon is much more effective than Tabunne. Shubargo is outclassed by Scizor who is more powerful and with better stats. Burungeru looks fine except for the moveset. Try Boiling Water/Ice Beam/Recover/Trick Room. This allows you to spread burns, hit dragons and gliscor, heal and of course set up tr. Kurimigan looks fine but move all the defense to HP. Rankurusu is running a strange set. May I suggest changing it. The new set means you beat Tyranitar and Natorei whilst also Blissey and Psychics. Roobpushin needs a more offensive set, trick room lasts 5 turns and you will not have time to Bulk Up. Replace Drain Punch with Hammer Arm for more power and Bulk Up with Payback to hit Ghosts.

Gl With your team.

Scizor

name: TR Sweeper
move 1: U-turn
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Night Slash
item: Life Orb
ability: Technician
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def

Rankurusu

name: Trick Room Sweeper
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Psycho Shock
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball
item: Life Orb
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Quiet
evs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA

Porygon2

name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Recover
item: Evolution Stone
ability: Trace
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Hi. As a lead Tabunne does not fair too well as it is taunt bait. A important part of Tr team is good synergy. So change Tabbune to Porygon2. This gives you a TR set up core. With Evo Stone Porygon is much more effective than Tabunne. Shubargo is outclassed by Scizor who is more powerful and with better stats. Burungeru looks fine except for the moveset. Try Boiling Water/Ice Beam/Recover/Trick Room. This allows you to spread burns, hit dragons and gliscor, heal and of course set up tr. Kurimigan looks fine but move all the defense to HP. Rankurusu is running a strange set. May I suggest changing it. The new set means you beat Tyranitar and Natorei whilst also Blissey and Psychics. Roobpushin needs a more offensive set, trick room lasts 5 turns and you will not have time to Bulk Up. Replace Drain Punch with Hammer Arm for more power and Bulk Up with Payback to hit Ghosts.

Gl With your team.

(let me get the new sets)
I thought about using Porygon, but Encore nets free switches on stat boosters, wish passing helps me a lot, plus he will gain HP for every switch. I might try it though since Pre-Evo stone recover Porygon is hard to take down, and isn't shut down by taunt. I used boiling water but wanted a more guaranteed burn, so I switched to WoW/Surf. Not having an ice move sucks though so this is probably a good suggestion. Also Roobushin only needs 1 Bulk Up to start destroying people with guts drain punch. I don't think the extra power and the stat drop is more useful than the HP recovery from drain punch, especially since he is losing health every turn. Payback is just too weak if he is going to be going first, so SE still seems like a better option. Thanks for the input though!

Tr lasts 5 turns. You need to attack not set up Bulk Ups. Also Hammer Arm in effect increases your Speed.

Oh yeah I was thinking of Superpower, my bad. I might try it but Roobushin sweeps for me most of the time, as 3 turns of drain punch with +1 Guts will kill so many pokemon late game. That and mach punch becomes that much more powerful and negates his crappy speed once TR wears off. All the extra power is pretty appealing though, I'm just worried about him lasting long enough without drain punch. I think you're probably right about scizor though, stats are almost as good as shubargo but with a better movepool. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about magnezone screwing me over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)