SM OU Extreme Hyper Offence

:sm/greninja-ash:

Introduction

This is the first team I have attempted to make for Competitive Pokemon, my experience with Pokemon until now mostly composing of casual cartridge play and random teams.

My philosophy making this team is make a team full of Pokemon of the highest offensive power, ignoring team roles, synergy, and setup in favour of having each Pokemon be as individually strong and Ultra Offensive as possible. The win condition is to trade Pokemon at a slightly advantageous rate, destroying your opponents Pokemon faster than they can destroy yours. Despite this simplistic concept I've been relatively successful with this team (~70% win rate although with a small sample size) albeit in low ranks (<2000).

All Pokemon on this team has high role compression, all of them being able to take on at least two traditional roles. Almost all Pokemon in this team is running three offensive moves with different types maximising chance of having the necessary coverage no matter who they try and switch in. This redundancy allows for more risky and sacrificial plays, as very rarely any one Pokemon is integral to the overall strategy.

Four of this teams Pokemon has abilities that trigger upon killing an opponent (Beast Bond, Soul-Heart, Battle Bond), this allows those Pokemon to quickly transition from Revenge Killer or Wall Breaker into Sweeper without needing a turn to use a setup move.

This team is extremely beginner friendly (of which I am one), since all members have high Attack/Special Attack stats making even neutral hits doing potentially critical damage and the win condition is the extremely linear deal damage there isn't much nuance in piloting this team. It's also a very low risk high reward as using a setup move or supereffective move on a predicted switch could easily win you the game outright while due to aforementioned high neutral damage and the multiple redundancies means that a wrong prediction rarely results in an instant loss.

Team Members

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body (Magic Bounce upon evolving)
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

Mega Diancie has the extremely important role of Dedicated Lead. Magic Bounce nullifies opposing hazard setters, this is especially critical since it allows for a Defog/Rapid Spin user to be forgone. Fairy/Ground/Rock coverage hits everyone for neutral, in combination with Stealth Rock and high Attack/Special Attack she can soften up the opposing team making way for on death ability users to sweep. Often using Magic Bounce to reflect a hazard or OHKO/2HKO the opposing lead automatically wins you the game as the entire team is built around slightly advantageous trades.
I personally like using Diamond Storm over Moonblast and Earth Power most of the time for the 50% chance for +2 Defence which greatly increases Diancie's bulk.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Kyurem-Black provides important coverage with Fusion Bolt. Fusion Bolt is able to OHKO Greninja and 2HKO Toxapex and Celesteela while Ice Beam and Hidden Power Fire provides coverage for Pokemon that resist Electric while Kyurem-B's natural bulk and Water resistance allows him to switch in on these Pokemon. I dislike having this Pokemon on the team as he's often lacklustre compared to the others but his ability to counter several Pokemon, especially Greninja, has saved me on multiple occasions.

Blacephalon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 232 HP / 4 Def / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

This teams premier Revenge Killer, Blacephalon comes in to sweep with his powerful Fire and Ghost STABs. Focus Sash guarantees Blacephalon is able to survive one attack which often is the difference between a death and a sweep, especially if your opponent has a faster Pokemon. Calm Mind and Substitute is theoretically there to counter stall although I haven't found a situation where they were preferable to an extra attack, that being said Blacephalon's move pool is horrible so unless you want to run Choice Scarf/Specs + Trick (which is also a stall counter) there isn't much else you can put there.
Blacephalon's EVs are set up so that Speed is one stat higher than Special Attack so Beast Boost boosts it as Special Attack investment rarely crosses damage breakpoints even with Beast Boost, that being said I only tested this on a couple Pokemon so this may be incorrect. Health investment rarely matter since Blacephalon never takes three hits, although make sure his health isn't divisible by 4 as this makes Stealth Rock and Substitute deadlier.

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

High Special Attack, a move set full of good special moves, and access to Soul-Heart and Shift Gear, Magearna is a highly effective Wall Breaker and Sweeper.
I personally prefer Fightinium Z since Kyrumn-B can handle Electric coverage and Focus Blast has imperfect accuracy although I haven't encountered any situation where any Z-crystal, or item for that matter, would be useful. I passed on Fluer Cannon as it drops Special Attack which is generally bad for a potential Sweeper although Fluer Cannon with Fairium Z may be preferable due to this teams only having one Fairy move.

Kartana @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

An All-Out Attacker with large coverage and the ability to Sweep with Beast Boost. I often try and bluff Choice Band although I'm probably playing on too low of a tier for that to make a difference. There isn't much to say here, most of the time so long as your opponent doesn't have a faster Pokemon it's able to win outright. It originally used a Choice Band but I found that extremely restrictive as you normally want to Sweep after securing the kill.

:sm/greninja-ash:
Ash-Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

An extremely effective Pokemon once it activates Battle Bond, and there in lies the problem. Before Greninja activates Battle Bond it is often somewhat ineffective, unable to reliably take out the Pokemon that Blacephalon, Magearna, and Kartana can set up their sweep on making Greninja an uncharacteristically high maintenance Pokemon on this team. Choice Specs help mitigate this problem, increasing it's power against most threats, but comes at the cost of locking Greninja into his moves which is hard to mitigate on this team due to it's lack of pivots. Despite this Priority Water Shuriken is often worth it, especially if it could get a revenge kill as normal Greninja with it.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Blacephalon @ Focus Sash
EVs: 232 HP / 4 Def / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Kartana @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Weaknesses

Setup
: This team has no utility; no Spinners, Status, Clerics, P/Hazers, or Volt-turn as well as limited ability to switch in to counter. Most of the time if your opponent is able to setup any buffs, status, or hazards, victory becomes extremely difficult. Status is particularly threatening since they can be applied in one turn and can completely put that Pokemon out of commission, I often find sacrificing a statused Pokemon for the free switch in to be more effective than trying to protect them. That being said it's hard for your opponent to setup as Mega-Diance's Magic Bounce nullifies status and hazards and for most of the game you are throwing out too much damage for them to safely setup.

Offensive Leads: If your Mega-Diance dies first turn, especially if it's out-sped and unable to use Stealth Rocks, you are immediately put on the back foot. This is especially obvious as Mega-Diance is x4 weak to Steel.

Earthquake and other Ground moves: Mega-Diance, Blacephalon, and Magearna are all weak to Ground while no Pokemon resists it.

Pivots and other Momentum gainers: As this team is highly dependant on consistently getting favourable damage trades if your opponent is able to gain momentum it's extreme hard to regain momentum save for revenge killing.

Scarf tana can 6-0 your team, it has the coverage to hit everything (will have to switch out for blacephalon however)
Next, why in the 9 faces of hell does your kartana have an AV,
There is literally no fixing to the dogpoop kartana's spdef is
I recommend Band for wallbreaking or Scarf for sweeping(which seems to be the focus of this team)
Don't run timid on diancie run hasty, diamond storm's def boost patches that up, and invest some in atk, you're weak as hell rn
Can u explain kyub EVs i'm not seeing anything
I recommend scarf on blacephalon if you're revenge killing or specs for a solid wallbreaker
gear looks fine
Hydro>Surf to net key KO's
Now breaking down the core.
There are way too many special attackers so Chansey easily sponges them.
Hell, an half-assed stall team filled with dog crap can screw this team over, you don't have any dedicated wallbreakers that besides KyuB which Chansey takes care of

Kartana @ Assault Vest
... I... I have some bad news for you.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Kartana: 132-156 (50.9 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Replace Assault Vest with almost literally any other item. Life Orb, Band, Scarf, Z move, even Lum Berry or Leftovers. Anything else would be better.

1. Blacephalon -> Landorus-T
This change is perfect, shores up a bunch of weaknesses this team has while still sticking to the theme of Extreme Hyper Offence. I would use Hidden Power Fire over Defog to take Kartana which Robot7620 pointed out I have a weakness to.
I originally had a Cloyster with Rapid Spin which never saw usage since the few times my opponents did get to set up Hazards without Mega Diance reflecting it always resulted in my win since they used a turn setting up Hazards while I used the turn dealing damage, most of the time my Stealth Rocks are more important to me than their Hazards since I rarely switch Pokemons since most of them have many moves for coverage. Aforementioned resistance to Hazard leads is how I could reliably get Focus Sash Blacephalon off.

Scarf tana can 6-0 your team, it has the coverage to hit everything (will have to switch out for blacephalon however)
I didn't notice that problem, can you suggest any ways to counter/mitigate it?
With my current set (after switching in Landorus-T) I can think of these ways:
With no Attack buffs:
- Kyurem-B can survive one hit and hit back with a OHKO.
With +1 to Attack:
- Landorus-T has a 62.5% to survive one hit and can use Hidden Power Fire to OHKO it, Landorus-T also has Intimidate and can survive two hits when Kartana has -1 Attack.
- Magearna can survive one hit and use Ice Beam to OHKO.
Greninja can guarantee 29.3% and Ash-Greninja 76.4% with priority Water Shuriken.
All cases requiring me to sacrifice a Pokemon to get the switch in which means Kyurem-B can't due to Beast Boost

Next, why in the 9 faces of hell does your kartana have an AV,
There is literally no fixing to the dogpoop kartana's spdef is
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Kartana: 132-156 (50.9 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I mostly used Assault Vest because I didn't want to use Choice Band (which it originally had) since it locked it into a move which severely decreased it's chances to sweep off of a revenge kill since a lot of the time the other person would just send in a Pokemon with resistance and I didn't know what else to replace it with. Assault Vest probably isn't the best, I think I'll switch it to Lum Berry so Burn doesn't instantly destroy it.
Assault Vest actually did quite a lot for Kartana's bulk, while it doesn't stop anything from OHKOing it a lot of things that would 2HKO it or OHKO with minimal damage, in particular Water Shuriken off of an Choice Specs Greninja and Ash Greninja does max 34.7% and 60.2% receptively rather than 52.1% and 90.7% which is occasionally was enough if they had Hazards up or Kartana came in on a resisted attack, this is also why I elected not to use Life Orb. Still not enough to justify it but not completely horrible.

Can u explain kyub EVs i'm not seeing anything
252 Speed EVs as I understand it is mostly for speed tying with Tapu Lele and 224 Speed EVs is still enough to outspeed most other threats such as Landorus-T, as I don't feel the need to speed tie with Tapu Lele since my other Pokemon like Kartana can counter it I went with 224. I tossed the extra EVs into Health for some extra bulk as well as avoiding being divisible by 4 or 10.

There are way too many special attackers so Chansey easily sponges them.
I see. Kartana using Knock Off hard counters but other than that I don't have a way to reliably kill Chansey. Is adding Landorus-T and giving Diancie a Hasty nature enough to mitigate this or do I need something more like Fightinium Z on Kartana or Landorus-T? I'd prefer not to run Toxic or another status given the nature of this team but I could.

Hell, an half-assed stall team filled with dog crap can screw this team over, you don't have any dedicated wallbreakers that besides KyuB which Chansey takes care of
Surprisingly enough I'm able to rack up enough damage with the team to break through most stall, especially since Magearna, Katarna, and Ash-Greninja can snowball off the first kill. Keeping in mind that I rarely mind sacrificing a Pokemon to deal damage or take the chance to push through a Sleep/Paralysis/Freeze/etc. so I can get a revenge kill. This may be a byproduct of opposing stall teams rarely putting down significant status though.

Don't run timid on diancie run hasty, diamond storm's def boost patches that up, and invest some in atk, you're weak as hell rn
Hydro>Surf to net key KO's
Agreed, thanks for the advice.

Well for Kartana you could use an SD set with Lum Berry as an item: You can get to +4 against a Washtom trying to burn you, and at that point you'll be able to sweep pretty easily. I suggest getting rid of Smart Strike for SD.

Another option is to switch Kart out for E-Seed Hawlucha, pop in Koko instead of, say, Kyurem. Lucha gives you an (albeit weak) Ground Immunity as well, and Koko gives Magearna's T-Bolt a much-appreciated power boost to help break past THE PEX.

As for the set, I mean basically anything will work, but try to have U-turn on to switch out of Bulky Grasses like Tangrowth, which Lucha loves to set up on.

I feel kinda bad about having another special attacker, and CB Bulu could work, if you run ScarfTana, and Grassy Seed Hawlucha. Grassy Terrain helps your team by casually healing Mag to help it sweep, softening Ground attacks for basically your whole team, helping to muscle past stall mons like M-Sableye, Chansey and Toxapex with Wood Hammer:

248+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 336-396 (110.5 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
248+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Grassy Terrain: 324-382 (91 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
248+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye in Grassy Terrain: 156-184 (99.3 - 117.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

In addition, the aforementioned Sableye and Chansey are OHKO'd after rocks or minor chip. In addition, Chansey isn't nearly as tanky without it's eviolite. Finally, Superpower flat out OHKO's Chansey, and deals a lot to checks like Steela and Skarm.

For the suggested mons, just use the standard Smogon sets.

Last edited:
a team like this works on the low ladder, but when you get higher a good team loves to play against an unstructured team like this. all the advises I read are not bad, but changing the theme of the team of having only sweepers and going for trade kills when I understood it correctly. you can have fun with the way your team is, but don't expect getting high with it, for that I would suggest you build a completely new team which should be balanced

a team like this works on the low ladder, but when you get higher a good team loves to play against an unstructured team like this. all the advises I read are not bad, but changing the theme of the team of having only sweepers and going for trade kills when I understood it correctly. you can have fun with the way your team is, but don't expect getting high with it, for that I would suggest you build a completely new team which should be balanced
A reply like that neither points out problems or fixes the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)