Extreme Defense/Stall Team (Help Needed)

The basic idea behind this team is for each pokemon on the team to be bulky and defensive. The core starts out with toxapex and ferrothorn, both having the ability to heal themselves and each having their own way of providing chip damage. The rest of the team fills in around it.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic
A standard toxapex set up. I decided to included the move Haze to prevent any opponents from setting up Dragon Dance/Quiver Dance/whatever other stat increases that could lead to a sweep. Toxic is the primary form of damage from Toxapex, with recover for healing and scald for chip damage and in rare instances thawing. Not much else to say here.

Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Haze
This the wall breaker of the setup, as well as the pokemon that picks up the slack for what the rest of the team doesn't have. With a pretty good defensive typing and a set of a water, fire and ground type attack, Volcanion is meant to take out any opposing stall pokemon that none of my other pokemon can't cover. Volcanion is also just in general good at doing damage. The reason that I put Haze on Volcanion as well as Toxapex is for extra anti-setup protection against stat increases that may happen. Volcanion is useful for pokemon like Corviknight and almost any elemental pokemon (Fire, Grass and Water).

Tyranitar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Crunch
- Thunder Wave
Not going to lie, I threw Tryantiar in here because of the typing and because it is one more bulky pokemon to add. I went with Thunder Wave over Toxic just to have some variety in the status field, and everything else is just coverage. Tyranitar has been very useful against Psychic type pokemon, which are one of my team's main weaknesses. Tyranitar is also one of the 2 special walls on the team, with the rest being physical walls.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Body Press
- Power Whip
Typically my lead, I use Ferrothorn as a tank in most cases and as an hazard setter with Spikes. Body Press is also for coverage and is overall a solid move (especially considering Ferrothorn's high defense). Ferrothorn (along with Toxapex) is the most durable pokemon on the team, with not only able to heal itself but heal otheres through leech seed.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
Garchomp is another tank. Earthquake for a powerful STAB move (takes out Heatrans very nicely as well), flamethrower for coverage (and for taking down special walls), with Stealth Rock as an alterative hazard. Toxic is there for chip damage. The rough skin-rocky helmet combo makes it a very good physical wall for contact hitters, espcially against an Iron Head Jirachi whenever I do come across one.

Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Avalanche
Avalugg was mostly used to counter the very popular used Landorus-Therian, but the defense of Avalugg has also turned it into a near impossible pokemon to kill against physical attackers that don't have super effective moves against ice. Special attackers for the most part, however, can easily one shot it, so I only use this pokemon sparingly. It also does good clean up work using Body Press. Avalanche is mostly for Landorus-Therian, but it is also sometimes used for chip damage. Recover and Rapid Spin have their uses as healing and a hazard eliminator, respectively. Although not used very often, Avalugg has proven very useful against physical heavy teams, and KOing them a lot of the time. Other than the special attacks, toxic is also a big problem for Avalugg (you can only use recover so many times).

Thanks for reading all of this. Most of the time I can get on a winning streak to the upper 1200s (maybe lower 1300s) before a starting a losing streak to return to the low 1200s or the 1100s. I think the main problem that this team has is that there is a huge lack of plan Bs in case my original plan does go wrong. Volcanion is my only response to some of the bulkier physical walls in the meta. Without it, it becomes very tough to hash out a plan with him. Although I have been playing pokemon for a while, this is really my first dive into the competitive scene, so there a lot of things that I don't know. Thank you for the help!

Ok so are u trying to build a defensive team , or a do nothing stall
Considering you are making a complete stall team :
You would want to make toxapex hold shed shell so that it can switch into heatran and switch out if needed , using volcanion against heatran is not ideal since heatran outspeeds it with 252 speed and threats to 2kho volcanion with earth power
You would want a blissey for stall since its pretty much the staple mon for stall to wall special attackers and it works better than tyranitar in some cases as a special wall .
Important : Blissey cannot wall taunt toxic magma storm trapper heatran which only toxapex can wall with sp def investments
Something which the team lacks as a stall team is a unaware mon like quag or clefable .
Unaware walls are also pretty much staple for stall to avoid complications with setup sweepers since toxapex cant always wall them. Using clef is more common since it can pretty easily include aromatherapy within its movesets to allow blissey to have a different move if needed.Since games will be a bit long , it is important to have heal bell or aromatherpay to heal you part mons.
And the last mon which you should add in the team is a defog mon , in my opinion corviknight is the best option since with pressure , it can pp stall stealth rock which has more pp than defog - pressure is very important so that you do not run out of defog before your opponent runs out of stealth rock .
I hope this changes will help the team but be aware of strong wallbreakers like rain boosted crawdaunt , cb rilla , cb hoopa and mold breakers which can easily decimate any stall team if given the oppurtunity

You lack a ground immunity. Corviknight can be put over Ferrothorn. There also needs to be Clef or a Blissey as heal bell support which is essential on stall teams. Despite it being a stall team, many of the mons don't have reliable recovery and are prone to getting chipped down. Replace Avalugg for Blissey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)