Exeggutor

Why not use Custap? Subbing down to Custap range is all kinds of threatening to your opponent, if you can force something out and make them switch something in that's faster.

Exeggutor @ Custap Berry
252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Def
Quiet (0 Spe) / Harvest

Substitute
Psychic/Psyshock
Grass Knot
Hidden Power Fire/Hypnosis

He gets great 3-move coverage if you use this with Sun (only reason to use a set like this, a mere chance of getting your custap berry back makes it worthless). If you get your ideal setup, 2 chances to put a fast opponent to sleep is pretty worthwhile too though. Psyshock should go with Hypnosis, since it gives you a legitimate shot to get past Chansey without bringing in Victini, since it does 186 - 219 (26.42% - 31.11%) vs. 252/252 bold eviolite chansey, the most defensive version possible. Minimum speed means your sub will be broken first by basically everything, which will let you get into Custap range while keeping your substitute.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
^doesn't works because you don't keep items you got in a battle via thief or trick.

@Kenshiro Custap isn't released either, i also don't see the reason why you use 0 Spe IVs (that will lower HP Fires base Power) and a quiet Nature Modest would be better, because you would receive less damage when you hurt yourself in confusion( negligible, but it doesn't hurts either) and you would get a chance to outspeed other priority users. If you sub down to custap range you will still have your sub and then you attack with priority without the risk of getting OHKOed.

Edit: Oh and other than that cool idea i really can see this working.

I ctrl-f'd the first page research thread and I didn't see anything about that. Bulbapedia mentioned only returning items stolen by npc and you kept tricked/coveted items in gen III. Meh, I'll eventually test it myself.

@Kenshiro Nice idea, but you might want to slash in a HP Ice as well if you fear dragons (especially multiscale dragonite) and your team can deal well with steels. Assuming you're using a sun team, steels other than Heatran shouldn't be too much of a problem.

^doesn't works because you don't keep items you got in a battle via thief or trick.

@Kenshiro Custap isn't released either, i also don't see the reason why you use 0 Spe IVs (that will lower HP Fires base Power) and a quiet Nature Modest would be better, because you would receive less damage when you hurt yourself in confusion( negligible, but it doesn't hurts either) and you would get a chance to outspeed other priority users. If you sub down to custap range you will still have your sub and then you attack with priority without the risk of getting OHKOed.

Edit: Oh and other than that cool idea i really can see this working.
I forgot about lower hidden power strenfth, but i think a 2-spe IV gives max power, which i'll explain later. And Ya i know custap isn't out yet, I just forgot that this is technically not possible yet. Also the reason to run reduced speed is just so that things that sit in lower speed tiers (think Reuniclus, Chansey, Conkeldurr, and the like) won't be able to break your sub first. Having a sub up and being at 25% health is the goal, so you can still be protected from Sucker Punch/Extremespeed. I kinda figured the set would just be a DW set until somebody figured out a way to get custap in-game.

Exeggutor @ Petaya Berry
Quiet
252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpA
0 Spe IV
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Trick Room on something that can lower you to Petaya Berry range. Sweep under Trick Room and get +1 every turn.

I've been testing out Physically based Exeggutor under Sun, and the results have been very impressive. Using a Pokemon with 125 Base SpA for a physical set might seem at best gimmicky, but 95 Atk with a SD boost is nothing to be balked at, considering two of the most feared Physical Chlorophyll sweepers in Tangrowth and Sawsbuck both only have base 100 Atk, only 5 above Exeggutor. The main advantages I see of using Physical over Special are:

-Surprise. Everybody and their grandmother expects a Special set from Eggy, often meaning that by the time they've switched in Chansey/Blissey, Eggy is already at +2 and ready to cause some damage with Wood Hammer. Which brings me to my next point...

-Wood Hammer. Of the limited number of Pokemon who get this move, Eggy has the second best Atk with which to abuse it. +2 Wood Hammer causes some serious damage.

Here are some damage calcs that show how much damage Wood Hammer does to common threats:

+2 LO Wood Hammer V 252HP/252Def +Def Tyranitar= 150.5- 177.2% (OHKO)
+2 LO Wood Hammer V 252HP/252Def +Def Hippowdon= 137.1- 161.9% (OHKO)
+2 LO Wood Hammer V 252HP/252Def +Def Gliscor= 78.2-92.4% (Potential OHKO with SR damage)
+2 LO Wood Hammer V 252HP/252Def +Def Latios= 51.4- 60.7% (2HKO on a resisted hit)
+2 LO Wood Hammer V 252HP/252Def +Def Blissey= 114.3-134.5%(OHKO)

-----------
You'll notice that all of the above calculations are against the most Def variants of each Pokemon, which very few people rarely run, meaning that the actual damage done is likely to be even higher still.

Most people do run max Def Blissey, but what about the calcs for max Def Chansey? That thing's way bulkier than its evolution. Also, I find it depressing that it can't OHKO Tyranitar without a boost...

Most people do run max Def Blissey, but what about the calcs for max Def Chansey? That thing's way bulkier than its evolution. Also, I find it depressing that it can't OHKO Tyranitar without a boost...
I didn't run calcs for Max Def Eviolite Chansey because the things that can OHKO her, even at +2, without a Fighting STAB could pretty much be counted on 10 fingers. The fact that Exeggutor is likely to not be able to KO says nothing about the viability of her as a physical attacker and more about the extreme bulkyness of Eviolite Chansey.

And just for comparison, A Leaf Storm from Max SpA LO Exeggutor does only 75.7-89.1% to Max SpD Tyranitar meaning that even special Exeggutor can't OHKO TTar without a boost. Which it can't ever do since it lacks a SpA boosting move.

What you've pointed out, like I mentioned, doesn't really impact Eggy as a physical attacker. The problems you mentioned are the same for Eggy whether its physical or special.

Exeggutor @ Petaya Berry
Quiet
252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpA
0 Spe IV
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Trick Room on something that can lower you to Petaya Berry range. Sweep under Trick Room and get +1 every turn.
I suggest sub somewhere on the set for more reliable petaya boosting.
Oh and giga drain over grass knot.

For Chansey, there is a 79.48% chance to OHKO with stealth rock.

The thing with Tyranitar is Speed. It has higher Speed, threatens with Crunch/Fire Blast, and Chlorophyll is negated by Sandstream. Hippowdon is slower regardless without investment, so its not an issue.

Do you plan on running a Trick Room version for Physical Eggy?

The thing with Tyranitar is Speed. It has higher Speed, threatens with Crunch/Fire Blast, and Chlorophyll is negated by Sandstream. Hippowdon is slower regardless without investment, so its not an issue.

Do you plan on running a Trick Room version for Physical Eggy?
The only additional problem TTar presents is that Eggy is weak to one of its STAB's. Otherwise, TTar presents the same problem for all Chlorophyll sweepers, hail and even rain abusers. You could still catch it on the switch, though.

Trick Room on Physical Eggy is just too much set up. With TR and SD Eggy can only run two moves, and Grass with anything but Rock gets mediocre coverage, and Psychic is the same. Exeggutor needs Low Kick or HP Fire (even if the set is physical) in order to KO Ferrothorn and Scizor.

Damnnnn. Does Exeggutor get Growth? Mix Eggy for Sun Team Pokemon of the year!
Nope, unfortunately.

if it learns low kick, this might be even better than sawsbuck as a chlorophyll-heatran remover.

i think with wood hammer, zen headbutt, and low kick.. he get perfect coverage except for victini, latios, latias..... i think. those pokes are easily handled by venusaur, so great combo!

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Base 125 spA is still high. You can get away with hidden power or a coverage move on a physical set.

Also, nobody runs 252/252 impish tyranitar min min. That calc was just meant to show an example.

alphatron

I'd rather not have my setup sweeper on a sun team become rendered useless by every steel type that isn't named heatran.

Well, unless +2 nature power ohkos jirachi of course. But then you aren't running low kick. The SD sweeper needs tons of support that it could cut down on if you merely ran hp fire for that Scizor who tried to screw you over. Meanwhile, zen headbutt is hitting other grass types and...crobat?

alphatron

Conkeldurr is murdered by +2 wood hammer. Toxicroak is murdered by nature power. Lati@s is resistant to zen headbutt and you'll probably be better off with hp ice.

conkeldurr is hit harder b zen headbutt, and why would u waste a special move when u can murder dragons with +2 zen headbutt? what moveset are you going for?

wood hammer hp nature power low kick? lacks a lotta power

Harvest is still great despite the redo on it's effect happening. With lum, 50% is better than shed skin, and scrafty functions quite well on 30% chance. I've been extremely tempted a few times to run exeggutor back in my team just because of that fat bitch blissey. He runs through walls/stalls so well it's not even funny.

Alphatron has a point. I did say a few posts above that I ran HP Fire in the last slot. Even uninvested, HP Fire coming off 125 base SpA in the sun hurts. Also, The calc above showed that Max Def Latios/Latias are 2HKO'd by +2 Wood Hammer. Its not perfect but even Special Exeggutor has nothing that can touch the Dragons super-effectively. Where Wood Hammer won't do, +2 Zen Headbutt still wrecks.

A set consisting of SD/Wood Hammer/Zen Headbutt/HP Fire is walled by Heatran, Houndoom Victini and Hydreigon. But seriously, people seem to forget that that's what team mates are for.

Alphatron has a point. I did say a few posts above that I ran HP Fire in the last slot. Even uninvested, HP Fire coming off 125 base SpA in the sun hurts. Also, The calc above showed that Max Def Latios/Latias are 2HKO'd by +2 Wood Hammer. Its not perfect but even Special Exeggutor has nothing that can touch the Dragons super-effectively. Where Wood Hammer won't do, +2 Zen Headbutt still wrecks.

A set consisting of SD/Wood Hammer/Zen Headbutt/HP Fire is walled by Heatran, Houndoom Victini and Hydreigon. But seriously, people seem to forget that that's what team mates are for.
Nobody in the history of the world has run a 252 HP / 252 Def Latios. Ever.

However, while the surprise factor is there, is there any real reason to run SD Exeggutor when its special attack exists? I would think a better set would be mixed with Wood Hammer to threaten special walls. Maybe Sleep Powder / Giga Drain / Wood Hammer / HP Fire? It's not there to sweep, obviously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)