editing / deleting posts in completed nocs

Asek

Banned deucer.
hi i brought this up on discord but i thought id post it here to make it more ~formal~

basically:

[5:51 PM] asek: can a circus mod make some kind of rule against players deleting their posts in previous nocs
[5:52 PM] asek: i just tried to read one and its unreadable because it looks like a players deleted all theri posts in it
[5:53 PM] asek: for refernece if anyone cares its this thread https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/c9-game-thread.3607528/
[5:53 PM] asek: looks like 'durzaofftopic' deleted all their posts in here
[5:55 PM] asek: a better solution might be if its possible to lock any post editing in completed nocs altho im not sure if theres the capabilities for that on xenforo

i think this is an issue as i believe complete games should be archived upon completion and nobody should be able to edit / delete their posts in them. provides valuable history / meta for players willing to back and re read games, i think the odd people from outer communities that people bring along to our games would appreicate this, as well as giving something for new players in general to read to get a grasp of how games flow here. i also think it would be nice for them to be archived so we can reflect on how our noc scene evolves over time. bit on the side but i enjoy reading through old nocs sometime for the fun of it and when someone who was quite central to discussion has deleted all their posts it kind of ruins the read through.

my proposal would be to have a subforum here or in cryogenics or w.e that subforum is claled that completed games get moved to where edit / delete capabilities are removed if people are in agreeance and if this is possible on xenforo software

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
To make a separate subforum i would have to ask a site admin to do that, but I don’t have a problem with doing so outside of some slight worry that it may change a game’s site address, which makes past references to games not particularly useful. I’ll look into what happens to a thread if it’s moved; I don’t actually know off the top of my head

In any event we can simply lock noc threads after a given point. The only argument against this is if someone might want to post well after game end for whatever reason, but this after a week of a games completion doesn’t really matter either.

I’m on board with either solution, but I think I spelled out the only real arguments against either, barring some personal autonomy arguments over the right to delete a post, which I I don’t think hold merit

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just want to point out that this is a durza issue, not a forum issue. I don't remember if it was that game specifically but durza went back and deleted all of his posts from an ongoing game that he was forcibly subbed out from. On top of the 8000 games he's joined and been subbed for inactivity, it's ajoke that this dude isn't blacklisted already.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Da Letter Elephant said:
In any event we can simply lock noc threads after a given point. The only argument against this is if someone might want to post well after game end for whatever reason, but this after a week of a games completion doesn’t really matter either.
This sounds fine. (And maybe we could have some weird general circus games discussion thread that could more adequately house post-game discussion / general mafia strategy discussion / etc idk. Not like it's super needed but could be nice). But uh yeah locking a thread to prevent people from being dumb and deleting stuff sounds fine and a lot less of a hassle than making a new subforum for past games. If it's just a one-user issue maybe it's not that pressing but in any event it would help preserve the history of games better.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Just want to point out that this is a durza issue, not a forum issue. I don't remember if it was that game specifically but durza went back and deleted all of his posts from an ongoing game that he was forcibly subbed out from. On top of the 8000 games he's joined and been subbed for inactivity, it's ajoke that this dude isn't blacklisted already.
i said later on in the discord chat id proposed for durza to be blacklisted in the past as well but as far as i can see theyre banned from the forums right now so thats not ~too~ big of an issue

i kind of wanted a policy in place to prevent future cases of it happening though

I see a fair bit about a subforum for past games, but what about for the future? While there was only one named problem, a subforum with that restriction could prevent that from happening again.

(slight issue: editing the OP, unless there's a workaround or the OP contains a link to a gdoc with the changeable info like living/dead)

I personally consider the autonomy argument slightly valid because sometime people say embarrassing stuff in games and I'm not gonna begrudge them if they want to remove it.

Locking NOC threads is an ideal solution though, the only people that are gonna look that up are people who want to read old games or scout meta.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Mkay, I'll give it another 48 hours for people to weigh in and without any further complaints or problems, we'll start locking old NOC games.

I played in a forum with a completed games subforum that was on complete lockdown. It costs nothing and brings all the benefits that asek mentioned.

I really suggest pushing for that solution, it's really good. Make a subforum in cryonicles.

autonomy argument is covered by the fact i assume if you went to a mod and asked them 'hey can you unlock this thread temporarily so i can edit out this personal detail' or asked them to do it for you they would probably comply.

archiving old games in one place (like a forum) would also make it way easier to find and read old games too, especially since the place is a walrusapalooza. even if it can't be done retroactively it'd be nice. it's better than using a thread for a ton of reasons.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yesterday at 11:31 PM jumpluff

about as rare a blessing a thread can get, up there with the Gmax drive-by

i would be fine with locking old games for archival purposes. "what if someone wants to necro this year old game" is countered by the "necro this year old game" part in that most forums have a tolerance limit for necro's. and if someone does have comments they could share them on discord.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)