DuoM2's Sprite Thread

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I don't know when I'll post next
Little did I know it would only take three days

Yeah I'm posting again already. I've been wanting to stream on Twitch lately, and I figured it'd be fun to do so with pixel art, since it'd just be something quick and easy on top of it not really being that bad when nobody's in the chat. I talk to myself anyways when I sprite stuff so it'd hardly be any different if nobody was there.

12 - Deliriophage.png
- This is Deliriophage, a bacteriophage crossed with a spider. This is the only sprite I will be mentioning today that was not made on stream, since this one was made a few weeks ago. The connection between phages and spiders is that the body types of phages and a kind of spider called the pelican spider are similar enough, so I felt like I could make something out of them. This was initially for a Smogon format that I don't think still has an active thread today, but I still felt like spriting this now that my idea for it was refined a decent bit. I still have my own projects that I can use this for as well.

(P) Araxhniud.png
- These two are unnamed ancient sea scorpions and were the first two things I made on stream. The second form doesn't look perfect as of right now and will likely recieve updates, with the most notable being that it won't be nearly this tall. First form was the only idea I really had in my head at the time when I started streaming, and the second one won a poll against three other designs I had. This was originally made for a Fakemon contest on a different forum where you had a month to design a Fakemon with a prompt (this one simply being "fossil") but in classic Duo fashion, I missed the deadline. That makes two out of three sprite contests I've tried to join where I outright missed the deadline.

1594432397667.png
- This is an unnamed worm. Really happy with the concept of this one - it's a worm on a string, but because worms are often used as live bait for fishing, it's got a hook in place of its string. Simple, but effective, and the evolution is going to play off of that a good bit more. I literally just made this one today, and despite its simplicity, it took me about an hour to complete because I was streaming. Highly doubt it would have taken me that long if I wasn't.

Like I said earlier, all of these but the first one were made on stream, and because I enjoy streaming, I'm going to stream pixel art more in the future. That means more content to keep this basically dead thread alive. I may be doing other stuff with my streams in the future but we'll see.

EDIT: wooooo finally hit 2 pages

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
Well that was a long hiatus. It's been 3 full months since I posted, yikes.

Draxplosion.png
- Here's an unfinished one first, this is Draxplosion. I was tasked with making a Fire-type starter for a Pet Mod forum thread, and the idea of a fireworks-based snake popped into my head. I slowly worked into it being a Chinese serpentine dragon because the designs just mesh together super well for reasons I won't elaborate on. This is unfinished because I'll probably change something with the horns and as of right now, none of the fire is textured at all which just doesn't look right.
17 - Annelait.png
- This is Annelait. My last post has its pre evolution in it, but I finally got around to finishing this family. Another design whose details just felt like a super obvious fit to me, yet I've never personally seen anyone do anything like this: it's a worm on a string, but with fishing elements. I made the last two sprites here over the past three days, so they're both very recent. The last one was made well over a month ago though...

16 - Chemiclysm.png
- This is Chemiclysm. Here's the thing with this one: a year ago, I think I posted about winning a contest on a forum? Well this thing won a smaller rendition of that same contest. About half as many people joined and I only tied for first, but a win is a win nonetheless. I recently thought to myself how good the concept for Grimer's design was and how much they could have expanded upon it, then realized that I designed Pokemon and could easily see what I could do myself. This took a month of tweaking and the sprite was done in an hour and a half because I realized that I needed to finish this two hours before it was due, but hey, I got it done and it looks good enough.

For those interested in the forum thread where I won, you can check that out here.

I hope this thread doesn't go inactive for another three months again lol

These look awesome,
Well that was a long hiatus. It's been 3 full months since I posted, yikes.

View attachment 281359- Here's an unfinished one first, this is Draxplosion. I was tasked with making a Fire-type starter for a Pet Mod forum thread, and the idea of a fireworks-based snake popped into my head. I slowly worked into it being a Chinese serpentine dragon because the designs just mesh together super well for reasons I won't elaborate on. This is unfinished because I'll probably change something with the horns and as of right now, none of the fire is textured at all which just doesn't look right.
View attachment 281361- This is Annelait. My last post has its pre evolution in it, but I finally got around to finishing this family. Another design whose details just felt like a super obvious fit to me, yet I've never personally seen anyone do anything like this: it's a worm on a string, but with fishing elements. I made the last two sprites here over the past three days, so they're both very recent. The last one was made well over a month ago though...

View attachment 281356- This is Chemiclysm. Here's the thing with this one: a year ago, I think I posted about winning a contest on a forum? Well this thing won a smaller rendition of that same contest. About half as many people joined and I only tied for first, but a win is a win nonetheless. I recently thought to myself how good the concept for Grimer's design was and how much they could have expanded upon it, then realized that I designed Pokemon and could easily see what I could do myself. This took a month of tweaking and the sprite was done in an hour and a half because I realized that I needed to finish this two hours before it was due, but hey, I got it done and it looks good enough.

For those interested in the forum thread where I won, you can check that out here.

I hope this thread doesn't go inactive for another three months again lol
These look awesome! It hasnt been three months, only four

DuoM2

whao
and my inactivity keeps getting worse
quick post because i don't feel like typing long paragraphs today but here's a bunch of stuff i've made for the Pet Mods subforum... (which deserves more attention than it gets btw)

1 - Abysseil.png
1 - Abysseil.png
- This is Abysseil, a fish I based on a deepsea thing. Don't know what it was but it looked like a veil with light in the center although in hindsight that may have been light coming from the submarine that was filming it. Made it a month or so ago for a new format I'm running called Restrictions.

2 - Smorke.png
2 - Smorke.png
- This is Smorke, based on smores, campfires, and a skull and crossbones. Something clicked with me while spriting this one and now I don't think I'm too bad with fire. I made this a few weeks ago for a format called Break This Team, and it's meant to be paired with...

3 - Inscuba.png
3 - Inscuba.png
- This is Inscuba, based on the diving beetle and an evolution of something I think I posted here already. This is Smorke's pairing for Break This Team, the two are defensive Pokemon with decent synergy together.

no idea how active i'll be in the future but i have at least a few more things i can post whenever

DuoM2

whao
I made a LOT of sprites within the past two days. May as well share them all now. I plan to do a lot more tomorrow but when have I ever done things when I said I would on this thread?

First the ones I made yesterday...

1620708447250.png
--->
1620708362135.png

The old one was way too big and could have had a better pose. I also did not like that it had legs, not all of the sea scorpions it's based on were interpreted with legs anyways and I was kinda told the ribcage resembles legs so we're goin with this

1620708614116.png
--->
1620708507898.png

MS Paint sketch I could never flesh out until I had thought of some improvements recently, but I'm still going to work on this one a bit more.

that's it lol now onto the ones i worked on today...

1620707948013.png
--->
1620707963310.png

I made the first for Roulettemons in about 2019 or so, can't remember. Felt it was a bit too basic-looking so I gave it a floral pattern on its face. Likely will add more to that around its body. Also, I felt like this color scheme would look nicer.

1620708012660.png
--->
1620708019147.png

When I made this a few years ago (2018?) I couldn't properly portray how the head was supposed to look because I wasn't good enough. Now I am, so I can. I also improved upon the shading.

1620708124539.png
--->
1620708131822.png

A very recent 2020 sprite where I kinda rushed the orange part of its tail. Now it's smaller to flow more naturally and has better fire effects. Also the eyes looking yellow was very weird

1620708179178.png

I just had never finished this one lol, admittedly probably could do a bit better with the feathers but I sat on this for two or three years because I just did not want to make the wings. Turned out better than I thought they would at least.

1620708216011.png

I restored this crappy sprite I made in middle school. Jesus why did I make its leg's outline blue

1620708248022.png
--->
1620708255069.png

My favorite design I've ever made, and one of my earliest I made from scratch, got a complete resprite where I scrapped everything and redid it. Pose needed work and there were just a lot of problems in general. I did all of this at midnight and it's nearing 1 AM when I'm typing this so I'm sure I could have done a few things better but the change is very noticeable

that's about it, not a normal post but i am very tired

DuoM2

whao
I did not end up making new sprites today like I said I would, but the only reason for this is that I now have a comprehensive list of every retrieveable sprite I've ever made! There are a few I couldn't find, but this will cover a vast majority of it. The link is here, and I'll be putting this in the op. Also worth noting that this includes quite a few things I haven't shared in this thread.

DuoM2

whao
Today I tried Voxel Art for the first time today, and boy is it weird. For those of you who don't know what that is, think Crossy Road or Minecraft - basically 3D pixel art, you place cubes everywhere to make art. It's so odd having to work with a camera while drawing, and it's just so different in other ways that I can't even explain. Artstyle here will be kind of simple but I think it'd work for this kind of thing. To get a feel for the program, I started by trying to recreate my current 2D sprite of my "mascot" Fakemon...

1622348027075.png
1622348044885.png

...then decided to try and make him 3D (might change the face but i kinda like how goofy lookin it is)...

1622348056143.png
1622348077515.png
1622348083797.png

Shorter post but I just felt like sharing. Will probably make and share more later, this was fun.

DuoM2

whao
more sprites

1623117203203.png

I've wanted to base some Pokemon off of other pieces of media because I thought it'd be fun. Here's the first one I actually went through, currently unnamed and based on the Dragoon from Kirby. Had no idea what to do with the legs and needed a lot of direction there

1623117315196.png

Name in pending is Gelsius, I based this one around Galileo thermometers. This was meant to be my interpretation of a Pokemon for one of my formats, this isn't actually the sprite that'll be used. Still pretty fun though and also my first time realizing I need to shade fluids so that was fun.

1623117418399.png

When the impostor is sauce!! :O

DuoM2

whao
time to take a post!

1625883503611.png

This guy's named Volcake. Little molten chocolate cake guy with caramel lava and ice cream. Kinda fitting how chubby he is.

1625883606049.png

Was tasked with making a Psychic/Fighting Pokemon named "Gorilax" for Roulettemons so here's this. Sleep has a strong association with Psychic between the move Rest and Pokemon like Musharna and Fighting because buff monkey. He's a mattress because Roulettemons just breeds lovable dumb stuff like this.

1625883699358.png

This dude's name is Cholleap. Most of his inspirations are obvious but it's based on the jumping cholla cactus. It's difficult to notice from the sprite alone but his left hand seems to be coming off, that's because it can shoot out its hands and feet to either jump higher or to fire off as weapons. Also holds a spine in his mouth like that one western trope.

1625883862398.png

Made this a while ago and didn't post until now, but my mixtape is FIRE. Named Fluxtape. Also notable for being bad

DuoM2

whao
Recently I made a little size comparison chart for all of the fully-evolved Fakemon I've made and still actively use. That being said, a lot of these are still pretty old or poorly-made, although I plan on reworking those. There's also no really good way for me to do this because of how specific all of the changes are without completely overloading my laptop, so a lot of this is blurry, but it does get a bit better if you use this link to the Google Slide I used to make this. There's no new sprites here but I thought it looked cool and might have potential as a banner for this thread, so it's maybe worth sharing.

1626314625622.png

woah this thread is so cool, great work :^)
I'd also like to say - thank you, much appreciated!

DuoM2

whao
As of late, I've been participating in an art thing with my friends where we each have to interpret a prompt however we want and draw something related. There will be ten of these in total, and I'm posting today because I just finished with my fifth one. I will of course be posting again if I finish the other five.

1629076799005.png

"Fun in the Sun." A lot of people were drawing beach related stuff so I took it to the next level and drew my fish floating in a ray of sunlight in the ocean.

1629076889776.png

"Sweet Tooth." Sweet has a bit of a double meaning here, both "tasty" and "aww look at how sweet the little bunny is."

1629076935808.png

"Pokemon." Literally all of my prompts can be said to involve Pokemon even if they're fanmade, so I took it a step further and put Fat Pikachu in here, having a gamer night with his friends.

1629077014542.png

"End of the World." Might be a little generic for a dystopia but who cares

1629077039982.png

And lastly for now, "Getting Those Gains." Prompt was supposed to be about doing something intense so I just drew mattress monkey getting some Gain detergent.

DuoM2

whao
Here's the next five of those art prompts! I may not even be done since I might want to do an eleventh, but for the main challenge, those are done. Also the images are bigger here than last time, and that's because I just don't have the originally-sized images saved on this computer I'm using. I left my other one at home for the time being.

1630888325843.png

"Dressing to the nines." Those of you who know the Fakemon I'm using in this image will know that this is extremely out of character for them. Also worth note that I completely forgot what shadows were before this drawing and didn't remember until between my ninth and tenth drawing when a friend of mine finally told me. It's kinda ruined these pictures for me until I can go back and edit them. Either way, not my finest work.

1630888498696.png

"Your stuff." This is referring to OCs, so once again, literally all of my prompts fall under this, so I made it one of my OCs drawing an OC. Next level stuff right there.

1630888630738.png

"Guns guns guns." Amogus.

1630888723809.png

"The sound of art." I had two sound-related Fakemon I'm still fond of that I haven't yet used for a drawing and I thought it'd be fun to draw them singing together despite their differences. I had another version where I made the markings around them more noticeable but I guess I forgot to save it.

1630889033869.png

"Tell me about yourself." No Fakemon here because the prompt is about something important to me, and nothing is important to me as my baby dog. I couldn't really go without drawing her here, even if the end product was bound to be rough around the edges in some parts- I've never drawn such detailed human hands, I had no idea how to do her tail, and I had no idea how I would draw her pose. I had to pose her like this since she always gets in this weird pose when she plays, or sometimes for just no reason at all when she gets excited. I had a lot to say here for something that I'm ultimately not sure if it's good or not, but that might kinda be a given with how different this one is from the rest. To close this paragraph out though, here's a picture of my dog -
1630889218434.png

Her name is Twinkie, she's an 11-year old and 5 pound Maltese.

And with that, the challenge is done. I'm glad to finish all 10 even if I did two of them a few days after they were technically due. Overall, this challenge made me realize that I do not know what I'm doing with backgrounds LOL. Here's all 10 together -

1630889437015.png

DuoM2

whao
few more sprites

1631648108265.png

This is Mountough. Instead of a martial artist going to the mountains to train, why not make a mountain that trains for martial arts? Every single divot in its chest is permanent, and they're all caused by particularly tough blows from harsh battles. Simple enough, not really much to say here. Just a simple, but in my opinion, a particularly unique design.

1631648219590.png

This is Bandire, a robot bandit. As rivals to Cholleap (that cactus dude I made earlier this year), they will have intense showdowns between throwing arm blades and spiky cactus hands back and forth. Known for stealing very shiny jewelry, even once stealing a crown off of the head of royalty. That last bit is in reference to the fact that this guy is based on Dennis from the first Spongebob movie. Spiky cleats and all.

1631647884653.png
1631647913049.png
1631647930635.png

These are Pokat, Slendine, and Starchire. All are potato cats, with it all stemming back to the first stage being based on my fat Pikachu icon. Because this all originally stems from Pikachu, there's a lot of similarities I decided to put in - their tails are all jagged, the last two stages have back stripes akin to Pikachu's, their whiskers come off of the cheeks where Pikachu's would. Also by coincidence, "Pokat" looks really similar to "Pika" and the last two stages have mittens that look kind of similar to what Raichu has.

also i forgot to paste this family without upscaling it first and i don't care to do that right now so i hope you don't mind all of these being small

DuoM2

whao
Happy New Year everyone! It's not quite 2022 yet here but I figured I'd share my final sprites of 2021, which coincidentally happen to be alternate forms (or maybe a regional variant in the latter case?) of two of my favorite Pokemon I've made - Fluxtape and Baloon.

1641009562357.png
1641009459803.png

I really have not sprited at all during the last part of this year LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)