DuoM2's Sprite Thread

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
(i plan on overhauling this post at some point, it's very ugly and possibly could use a banner)

I'd like to start this thread out with a little bit of background about myself doing pixel art, and if you don't want to read it, that's perfectly fine. Ever since I was younger, I've been creating Fakemon just as a little hobby. Most of my creations up until recently were pretty terrible, honestly. Back between 1st and 7th grade, everything I made was either unoriginal, boring, didn't really look like a Pokemon, or some combination of the above. I had first tried doing pixel art in around 6th grade, and even way back then I knew it looked terrible, but I kept the thought in mind when I came back to it in 8th grade and did around 70 Pokemon fusions in the span of a year. Almost all of them were pretty terrible, but that served as a sort of gateway and gave me a feel for Pokemon's general artstyle, so it actually ended up helping me learn how to create sprites from scratch, which I did a few times in 9th grade, paused for a long time, then kinda sporadically made stuff as my brain kept coming up with designs. Here I am today, just getting done with 12th grade, and I still work on pixel art today.

Now for some of my sprites, here's everything I've made so far. As a closing note, I'm also almost completely self-taught, so if you have any criticism, I'm more than willing to take it. Thank you!

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
It's been a week, but here's some more Fakemon!

- This is Baloon, a new Fakemon that was designed for my randomized Pokemon metagame. I know the name is terrible, I didn't come up with it; the name came from a random name generator and I had to come up with a design for it. The name being so simple is the reason this design is so simple, though that doesn't mean it doesn't have any thought put into it. I first imagined this as an actual, really long balloon that they use for balloon animals. If someone who is making a balloon animal wants limbs, they often pinch a part of the balloon and have to make a sort of tear-shaped ring, unless they want to pinch it more to make it look like legs that are stuck together. The pinch is the center of its body, and the rings are its arms. The bottom part is the last part of the balloon, which has a string and a little circle that you see on some balloons that makes it easier for children to hold. I'm really happy with what I made from such little information, honestly.

- This is Corell. I made this around the summer of 2017, based on a shell with little spiky bits of coral growing off of it. I mostly made this to mess around with color pallets at first, but the design looked pretty nice, so I kept it. And, on top of this...

- This is how he looks with his shell opened up! A small edit I made just for the fun of it one time. I still love how grumpy he looks.

- This is Cadbunny. I'm not sure how common the idea of a chocolate bunny is done, but I had come up with the idea around the middle of 2018 after making something after a different rodent that I at first scrapped, but then ended up reworking into this because this had much more inspiration to it than the original design. I also added some other Easter aspects to it, like a patterned body like an easter egg and an egg shell as a little hat. I also got the idea for a pre-evolution for this that I'm likely going to call Rasket, but I'll make that another day.

DuoM2

whao
Here's some more designs I've made...

- This is another design for my randomized Pokemon meta. Its name in the metagame was Crazefly, which doesn't even have the funny value Baloon's name has, so the name I'm gonna use for it if I use it in other personal projects is Flychopath, which is obviously a mix between fly and psychopath. I still need to fix a few things like the abdomen's perspective, since it looks like it's turned to the left, but I'm happy with how the design turned out overall. I gave it the swirly eyes that are often associated with being crazy, but the anime does that for fainted Pokemon, so I don't know how that would work. Pretty simple design in all honesty.

- This one is a design I made just for fun, again, based on a name from my randomized Pokemon meta. However, someone actually had made a different design before I had come up with this idea, so this one isn't gonna be used in that thread. Its name is Scorpita, which is obviously part "scorpion," but I don't know what the random name generator got the "-ita" from. I really doubt it's what I took it for though. I was thinking about the name earlier and had actually remembered something- "pita" is a type of bread! I took that fact and made a sandwich-based scorpion from it. I made lettuce come out of its body and hands to make its legs and claws respectively, and I gave it a kebab tail. I also came up with a really stupid pokedex-worthy detail of "it shoots poisonous sauce out of its tail" to explain its Poison typing. Pretty fun design, I'm proud of it.

- The first design I've ever made where I've made the evolutions after the base form! This is Mellump. I based him off of a nudibranch, which is a pretty cool looking sea slug that can come in a very wide assortment of colors. I probably also had some mental regurgitation thing with the mushrooms from the Mario games, but I dunno. I gave it four little stumps as legs kind of like what Shellos has, but I imagine this to be a little bit more mobile than Shellos. I believe I made this around late 2017, though I can't remember.

...and that's it for this post! I may be posting less and less as time passes, I haven't been working on pixel art too much lately, but I dunno. Maybe I'll find something big that could inspire me to make a bunch of designs like what happened a few years ago.

View attachment 174685 - This is Monstratus, my first sprite I've made fully from-scratch. Its name is based on the words "Monsoon" and "Stratus," as in the wind storm and the type of cloud. I based this off of a stormcloud and I think a wyvern but it's been so long that I can't remember and it isn't immediately obvious to me. I made this in early 2015.
Monstratus's name could also come from "mon", a shortened form of monster that I use a lot. It's also in the name of Pokémon. What type would Monstratus be? Dragon-Electric? Electric-Flying?

DuoM2

whao
Monstratus's name could also come from "mon", a shortened form of monster that I use a lot. It's also in the name of Pokémon. What type would Monstratus be? Dragon-Electric? Electric-Flying?
What I had in mind when giving it the name Monstratus was monsoon + stratus, I know that for certain. Funny enough, though, quite a few people have asked if I got the name from “monster,” which may be a sign that it wasn’t the best idea to name it that. As for typing, I imagined it as Electric/Flying since the details that are most prominent in its design are the thunderstorm and cloud aspects, though it would likely get quite a few Dragon moves as well.

What I had in mind when giving it the name Monstratus was monsoon + stratus, I know that for certain. Funny enough, though, quite a few people have asked if I got the name from “monster,” which may be a sign that it wasn’t the best idea to name it that. As for typing, I imagined it as Electric/Flying since the details that are most prominent in its design are the thunderstorm and cloud aspects, though it would likely get quite a few Dragon moves as well.
You mentioned in the original post that it was a wyvern thing. Also, the monster part might not be bad.

DuoM2

whao
Today I have a small, low-quality treat for you guys. Not too long ago, I went on my old iPad I used during middle school and decided to scroll through the images just to see what all I had, and I found a little relic of my past. If you all happened to have read my OP, you would have seen this...

I had first tried doing pixel art in around 6th grade, and even way back then I knew it looked terrible, but I kept the thought in mind when I came back to it in 8th grade and did around 70 Pokemon fusions in the span of a year. Almost all of them were pretty terrible.
I had to reset my old laptop a while ago, and I didn't have a USB back then, so I thought I had to say goodbye to the 70 fusions. Turns out, however, that I had an image of them saved onto my iPad! It was pretty terrible in quality-wise because iPads automatically save things as jpegs, but you can still make out what all of the sprites looked like and a lot of things I did wrong with them. It's kind of a big image, so I put it in a hide tab.

The order I made these is kinda complicated...the blue lines separate their "groups." The top left group is the one I made first, then the top right, then the stuff on the bottom left. In the colored rows, it just goes left to right, then you go down to the next row. Stupidly complicated for some reason, I don't know why.

Yeah I'm well aware that all of these are garbage, so few of these have actually good concepts behind them and they're super ugly sprites on top of that, jpeg aside. Just goes to show how much someone can improve over time though, especially if we ignore the fact that I was 13 back then.

That's all I have for this post. Next time, I'll likely update the OP to include everything I've posted thus far, and I'll also include Shiny forms for almost everything that wasn't mentioned in this post.

DuoM2

whao
Still gonna post shinies on this thread / update the OP soon but I have a few more Fakemon to share!

- This is Komodith, which is a name that the same old random Pokemon thread came up with, although I think the name Modolith is much better. It seems to be a combination of the words Monolith and Komodo, so I designed this as such. I actually just finished this sprite like yesterday after a few hours of work overall. Something interesting about this is that this is actually partially an older design that I reused for the random Pokemon thread. My original design was named "Ferram" because I forget why, but it was a dark gray spider with metal spikes coming out of its back, and though this doesn't have spikes coming out of its back it's pretty close. Since this thing has the metal coming out of its back, I also made it have claws, ears, and an underside all made of metal. Looks kinda simple, but still pretty unique, right? Well...

- Yeah this is Ferram. Not nearly as big of a fan of this design as Komodith, and I actually scrapped this a long time ago. This was one of my earliest sprites I made from scratch (like 2015) so I think I was still finding my footing there. Not a terribly-made sprite though, and not the worst design out there. Just not good enough for me.

- This is a small flounder that I don't really have a name for yet. I mixed in design aspects with heiroglyphs, since I imagine an ancient drawing of a fish could resemble a flounder at least decently? I dunno but I think the two mix nicely together. This sprite's not completely finished, I might make it a bit bigger and I'm going to make the blue pattern look shiny rather than the sort of "deep glow" I failed to achieve now. I made this two weeks ago, which was around when I started with Komodith. This was just a quick sprite I made just because I thought it'd be fun and interesting, but I'm still pretty happy with the result.

- This is Electritar. I made this for the random Pokemon thread as well, and I'm not a huge fan of its name, so I prefer to call it Shockstar instead, which looks extremely bland until you realize that it's Shock + Rockstar. Being perfectly honest I don't remember making this, though it must have been in the past few months because the thread for it is somewhat new. This isn't my favorite design I've made but it's not bad, and I think a few tweaks in some areas (I don't know where) could turn it into a great design.

That's about it for now! Thanks for sticking by my thread despite the inactivity!

DuoM2

whao
If I'm not mistaken I said earlier that this thread would be quiet? If I didn't then now you know to expect this from me, I don't really do much artwork but I have made a few things of note recently...

Hyperoach.png
- This is Hyperoach. Another Fakemon for the random Pokemon thread, but this time, I forgot that I was making a Pokemon while I worked on it. I can't see a real Pokemon having a facial expression like this or mashing two completely random ideas together but the Pokemon in that thread mostly wouldn't fit into the mainline games anyways and I thought it was funny. It's red because my favorite sports team is red and my favorite number is 10 so I made that the number on its jersey.

flamyle.png
- Another random Pokemon thread creation, this is Flamyle. It's an unfinished sprite based on a missile that obviously is in the process of blowing up. If I end up using this for other projects then I think it would have an ability to reflect this, it would probably boost its Fire and maybe Poison attacks by a huge amount but reduce its HP by a quarter each turn? This wouldn't really fit as an actual Pokemon either for more obvious reasons. The biggest things I need to fix are the cloud on top and maybe the mouth, this is a remade version of an old sprite and the cloud on top looks awful.

Mawpire.png
- You guys ready for something completely different? This is Mawpire, an unfinished Mawile edit I made for a sprite contest for another website. This contest involved making a variant of a Pokemon to possibly be featured as a collectible on the website. Unfortunately I didn't know I had to make a Mega Evolution for it so I was never even able to submit it, but I doubt I would have won anyways since that site tends to favor things that are way too overdesigned for my taste. Either way, I felt like it was worth sharing; I put a ton of thought and work into this sprite edit.

That's all for now! The only other thing I have to say is that heiroglyph fish is probably going to be named Floundrawn. Thanks for reading!

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
If I'm not mistaken I said earlier that this thread would be quiet? If I didn't then now you know to expect this from me, I don't really do much artwork but I have made a few things of note recently...

View attachment 200187- This is Hyperoach. Another Fakemon for the random Pokemon thread, but this time, I forgot that I was making a Pokemon while I worked on it. I can't see a real Pokemon having a facial expression like this or mashing two completely random ideas together but the Pokemon in that thread mostly wouldn't fit into the mainline games anyways and I thought it was funny. It's red because my favorite sports team is red and my favorite number is 10 so I made that the number on its jersey.

View attachment 200190- Another random Pokemon thread creation, this is Flamyle. It's an unfinished sprite based on a missile that obviously is in the process of blowing up. If I end up using this for other projects then I think it would have an ability to reflect this, it would probably boost its Fire and maybe Poison attacks by a huge amount but reduce its HP by a quarter each turn? This wouldn't really fit as an actual Pokemon either for more obvious reasons. The biggest things I need to fix are the cloud on top and maybe the mouth, this is a remade version of an old sprite and the cloud on top looks awful.

View attachment 200204- You guys ready for something completely different? This is Mawpire, an unfinished Mawile edit I made for a sprite contest for another website. This contest involved making a variant of a Pokemon to possibly be featured as a collectible on the website. Unfortunately I didn't know I had to make a Mega Evolution for it so I was never even able to submit it, but I doubt I would have won anyways since that site tends to favor things that are way too overdesigned for my taste. Either way, I felt like it was worth sharing; I put a ton of thought and work into this sprite edit.

That's all for now! The only other thing I have to say is that heiroglyph fish is probably going to be named Floundrawn. Thanks for reading!
Damn you’re getting better

DuoM2

whao
Damn you’re getting better
Better between 2015 and now or the creation of this thread and now? Either way, thank you, practice helps!

Anyways, work with spriting is only going to go up in the future, since I'm picking back work on something I never really shared in this thread...I'm making a Pokemon fangame! It's been in-the-works for about ten months, and even then I'm not even halfway done, but I do have some sprites to share with it as well as some other things...

Luna Moth (Nebullon).png
- Remember from early in this thread, where one of the earliest Fakemon I've made was named Nebullon? Well, this is Nebullon's redesign! I'm not keeping the name because instead of it being based off of a butterfly nebula, this is based on a luna moth. The entire evolutionary family now works around how the luna moth has no mouth, with the first stage being a very hungry caterpillar that eats a lot, this being a moth that is very hungry, and the last stage being a Ghost-type that has a really eerie look to it and drains the life of other living beings to "eat." Really edgy, I know, but I think it might prove to be interesting. Next on the chopping block for a redesign will be Lumineel probably, but I have no idea what direction I'm going to take there as of right now.

4 - Grievenge.png
- This is Grievenge, another one of the earliest Fakemon I've made. I made this around when I made Monstratus and Spirox in 2015, and for the same Smogon thread as well. It's gotten a bunch of slight revisions since then though, although I might continue working on it now, especially since it feels kind of empty in the middle. Obviously based off of the grim reaper except his head is an eyeball. Not the best thing I've made I don't think but it's not bad, and in the fangame I'm working on this thing will have a huge sidequest.

1 - Monstratus.png
- This is Monstratus's evolution. I originally designed this back in 2015 with the idea of it being a "Mega Monstratus," but I've changed the design a lot and I think this works a lot better as a standard evolution now. For projects where I use it as an evolution, I call the base form Monsirrus instead. I've been told that the ears look strange and that the cloud surrounding the wing on our left looks too flat, and I kinda agree with both. The amount of times I've said "this design aspect needs changing" kinda tells me I need to go back and fix a bunch of stuff from various designs...regardless, I'm very happy with how this one looks design-wise.

23 - Rinsect.png
- I'm absolutely shocked that I hadn't posted this little guy yet. This is Rinsect, a bug I made based on a Japanese diving beetle. Pretty simple design here, I made it have little flipper things on the ends of its arms and I gave it a hollow shell filled wth water. I'm not sure whether I made this in 2017 or 2018, although I'm leaning towards the latter. Last thing I really can mention here is that its evolution will have many more scuba diving aspects thrown into it, with a few possibilities being an air tank on its back that holds water instead and a scuba helmet to go with it.

trainer056.png
- Are you guys ready for something REALLY dumb? I can at least explain myself if so. This is a Team Ligma Grunt... Story behind this is that the word "ligma" has gotten a really bad rap among my friends and I because one of my friends uses that word really excessively, combining it with other words and trying to get his parents with "ligma balls." I thought it'd be funny to base an evil team around it. I made it as stupid as possible, giving him no shirt and making every one of them using as horrendous of slang as possible. They're kinda like Team Skull in the way that they're not at all supposed to be taken seriously...and many, many other things. This is the first human sprite I've ever done so it probably looks really shoddy in one way or another, but I dunno, I can't see that kind of stuff yet due to my inexperience here. Also the sprite is big because I don't know, this is the only version of it I had.

Other than all that, though, the only other thing I have to say is that I've added everything from this thread to the OP! The only exception is the stuff mentioned in this post, which I will be adding right now. Thank you all for reading!

DuoM2

whao
I just want to use some of these for my fangame.
This is really flattering to see, but I'm already using all of these for a fangame of my own, and I'd like to keep everything in one place if possible. Thank you though!

Mortemoth line.png
- Well, I already showed you Nebullon's redesign, but here's the full evolutionary family, all neatly put together in one picture! Their names are Appepillar, Faminoth, and Mortemoth respectively. The first one now has some pink spots on its body that I've yet to add, but as I mentioned in my last post, these three are based on the luna moth in every way I could make it. First stage is hungry and eats a lot, it loses its mouth upon evolution and "doesn't last very long" in the way that there's only two levels between its first and second evolution, and the third one is implied to be dead and it drains the life of its victims to sustain itself. Like a few certain other things in this thread, might not really fit with the rest of the Pokemon, but this was for a Halloween contest, and I thought it would at least make for an interesting design.

Cliety.png
- And here's the Lumineel redesign! This one is named Cliety, taken from Clionidae (the scientific name of what it's now based on) and diety. My biggest issue with Lumineel was that its design was kind of all over the place. I think it was sprited pretty well, and I still think it's cute, but its design needed to be based on only one thing. This is based on one animal, which fixes that problem, and it keeps the sort of cutesy look its old design had, even if it looks completely different now. Since I completely changed the color scheme, a friend mentioned making its old color scheme in to its new shiny, so I think that's what I'm going to do. But, on top of that...

14 - Testing.png
- Here's an even older scrapped Lumineel design! This is from like three years ago, and I made it back when I just kept throwing designs out and assuming everything worked because bias. I can't remember what kind of eel this is based on, although I remember replacing this with the second Lumineel because the second Lumineel is much more interesting while this is completely bland in comparison. While typing this, I got the idea of reworking this once again now that Cliety is so different from it, and I think it could work if I were to make this more unique. I'll have to keep thinking about it though.

EDIT: I think I based this on something called a wolf eel or something like that? Either way it was blue and had these massive teeth that made it look especially unusual.

That's about it! Two things I've been putting off for a while now are slightly messing with some of the older designs to touch them up as well as giving everything a shiny form. I also have had ideas in my head for an Ice/Steel comet warrior and a Rock/Electric golem that I think I might work on in a few days, and I'll be posting here again soon if those happen. Thanks again for sticking by this quiet thread!

DuoM2

whao
Whoops, this place hasn't had a post in the past two months. Sorry about that. I just sprited like three things in the past week-ish, so I finally can justify posting here again!

Flamepion.png
- This is Flamepion. Probably meant to be a Flame Scorpion from the random name generator, but chinese lanterns are called "lampion," so I felt this would be more fitting because the name "Flamepion" comes from a Fire/Ghost-type on my random Pokemon thread. These lamps use oil so I felt like having an oil-like ectoplasm would be fun. Also had a Pokedex entry for it - "There were originally lanterns hung to ward off ghosts from peoples' homes during festivals. Unfortunately, the ghosts only possessed these lanterns and made things worse."
Flamyle (New).png
- Remember Flamyle? I wasn't really happy with how this looked before in all honesty, but after a pretty big design change, I can finally call this done! I made it look a lot more like a nuke while also making its face fit into the design a lot more naturally. Not much else to say about this one.
Ostria.png
- Once again from the random Pokemon thread, this is Ostria, although the name Treemu is amazing for it. It's a tree ostrich, and it also just so happens to be my first sprite of 2020! I'm happy with how I started, I had the opportunity to make his face look like this so I did and I love it. For this and the new Flamyle, I hadn't learned how explosions and foliage would look, and I actually got to model one after the other, since both grow out in unpredictable ways for a lack of better terms. I'd say I ended up doing well with them both!

Please tell me about your fangame when it gets further on! :3
I'll be sure to message you, thanks!

But that's about it. If it wasn't obvious, I changed my name from The Cruelest to DuoM2, so the thread's name will change next time I post to match. I might be making a bacteriophage spider in the future, but as for the rest, I dunno. See you all then!

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
Two posts in one month? That's the first time this has happened since I made this thread, wow!

Azurollt.png
- This is Azurolt. I mentioned in a post I made back in November that I was going to make a Rock/Electric golem-based Pokemon, and as of today, I'm finally done with that! This was originally for a Pet Mod that aimed to recreate Gen 1's Pokedex, but since then the leader has shut it down. Reason it hasn't been done yet is because I haven't been proud of my past results when trying to design it - I've had several ideas floating around between August and November, and I hadn't really been proud enough of any of them to finalize their sprite. But it's done now, and I'm super happy with it! This is based on golems from folklore as I said earlier, as well as mixing in aspects of geodes and crystals / some kinds of gemstones (can't remember which) making good conductors of electricity. Based the name around azurite / volt.

Just for fun, I'll share a few past revisions of this design...

These three images are all from 2019. What I made above is just a heavily changed version of another idea I had a few days ago. I redid my idea for this thing A LOT of times.

Untitled.png
- First one here, didn't get far into it obviously because there were some really rough parts. I was at first going to make its body shape kind of like Heatran's but it looked too potato-like so I scrapped this pretty quickly.
1580010668028.png
- Much bigger image, I'm sorry, but here are some other ideas I had. You can see where this inspired what I have now. I felt like sketching some ideas to share with others and see what I liked. One on the far left is the one I got closest to finishing in the end, but I never went through with that because it looked kind of generic to me. Second one over was an attempt to make it look a bit more interesting, but I thought it was pretty strange. Third is a generic "pixie" idea, since the Pet Mod I was doing this for had this Pokemon replacing Mew, and the far right is based on a magic wand. I might go back to the wizard or magic idea later, but both seemed really basic and kind of lacked inspiration.

Azurolt (5).png
- The last one of these I had polished the lines a little bit for the one on the far left. I was going to give it the legs of the one next to it (aka the legs it has now), but kinda just stopped before there because this sprite had so many issues and I didn't feel motivated enough to finish it because I wasn't super super happy with the design.

35 - Pterodactyl.png
- This is Pterrost, an Ice/Dragon Pterodactyl I made back in 2018 I believe. This was one of the last sprites I made before taking a huge hiatus and this is a sprite I spent a good amount of work on back then - I went back to it to change a lot of minor details constantly, and I was struggling to come up with how to pose it. Extremely loose and kinda stupid premise behind it is "what if a pterodactyl ended up surviving to the ice age?" I think was supposed to have an icicle for a tail but you wouldn't be able to see it from this angle, which is an issue I probably should have thought about while spriting it.

33 - Pristhorn.png
- Last Fakemon of the post is Pristhorn. I made this sprite just before making Pterrost, I think when I was at a friend's house for a party. Every generation has introduced a feminine plant-based Pokemon since Gen 2, possibly Gen 1 if you want to argue Tangela being based on Medusa but that's kind of a stretch. This is my take on that, based on the Devil's Claw, a kind of plant mostly found in deserts and used in some kinds of medicine. Looking at these two sprites right now makes me immediately notice a few mistakes I've made, but I'm still pretty happy with them.

Also, a new project I'm doing - starting a few weeks ago, I had the idea to make a new Discord avatar based around a different Pokemon every week for the rest of 2020. I'm not doing it for every week because I've missed a few, but every week after the 12th of January. I'll probably post a bunch of those as well whenever I post here. Here are the first three, though -

For every three weeks, I'll be rotating between a Pokemon I chose, a Pokemon a friend chose, and a Pokemon RNG chose. Conveniently enough, we're three weeks in, so I get to post one of each today.

W1 - Clob.png
- For my first pick, I chose Clobbopus. SwSh is still somewhat recent, I like having cuter Pokemon as my avatar, and Clobbopus is my favorite Gen 8 Pokemon, so why wouldn't I choose it first? The outlines of the picture won't be visible on Discord so I would have shown blue parts of where the hands start, but nobody would've seen that anyways so who cares. I also made the face look like that because for most of last year I've had my avatar like the one I now have on Smogon, and I've liked giving dopey looking things faces like that. It's a shame though because it was impossible to see his eyes on Discord.

W2 - PZ.png
- For my first pick from my friends, the first that responded wanted me to do Porygon-Z, which I was happy with. I like PZ a lot, and it's a pretty simple Pokemon to draw. That being said I probably could've put more time into the outline for the eyes. I would have done some crazy pose if I had any ideas for what I could do, but it's pretty tough for me to come up with something like that, especially when I don't want its face to be covered up too much and it's mostly a headshot.

W3 - Monke.png
- For the first RNG pick, I got Pansage. Not a huge fan of Pansage but I don't really dislike it either. I literally just finished this before posting, making it the second of two sprites I've started and finished today (first time in a long time I can say that line). Or it WOULD be finished had it not been for me noticing I completely forgot to polish the bush on his head in any way. It's pretty late here, so on top of that being a problem, I've probably screwed up the linework in some areas that I just can't notice because I'm too tired to notice them or something. Unlike Porygon-Z, I DID come up with a good pose for it, which lead to me coming across a weird issue - how do I make it point with its oven mit hands? Pretty happy with what I came up with there but it took a good amount of time to finish that part alone.

That's about it for this post. Not sure what other Fakemon I can really make in the future, but worst comes to worst, I can probably post here again in a few weeks with my next set of avatars. See you all next time, thanks for reading!

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
Been almost two months since I last posted here, huh? All that means is that you all get to see more avatars from me, on top of a few new things relating to stuff I've already posted about on this thread.

1583967228386.png
- These three are all different versions of Grievenge. The first one is one of the first sprites I've made from scratch, and one of the Pokemon I submitted for the forum thread for my first Smogon post ever. I could only find an old JPEG version of it when I went to look for it, but the reason I posted it was for an idea of how it looks, so it's not a huge deal. Kind of boring and uninspired, and not really well-sprited either; you can tell this even despite the fact that it's a jpeg screwing it up. I slowly made revisions to it until I had the "final version" in 2018, a bit more unique but still not very well-sprited. Just recently, I went back to work on it again, and I ended up with the last verision. Has a lot more detail, and believe it or not I always meant to make it have a hoodie but I just sucked at portraying it. I know I'm still not a perfect spriter so I'm looking forward to seeing how I can improve this in the future!

1583968721722.png
-Another scenario where I posted the midstage first, Scorpita now has a full evolutionary family! Neither the evolution nor the pre-evolution have names, but I might do something along the lines of "Yeastick" from Yeast + Tick for the first one and "Arachwich" from Arachnid + Sandwich for the final one. I don't know if either of those fit perfectly so both are up to change. These are all subject to change, I accidentally gave Scorpita too many legs and I'm going to make minor changes to make Arachwich's claws look better. Another minor detail worth mentioning is that Arachwich's fangs are jalapenos, which you could say have a stronger flavor than the other ingredients that are shown here.

Next up, time to show off six avatars I've made...
As a reminder, for three weeks, I'll be rotating between a Pokemon I chose, a Pokemon a friend chose, and a Pokemon RNG chose. It's been exactly two full rotations since I posted here last. Also, the image size for these are a lot smaller so they look better on Discord.

W04 - Ultra Baby.png
- For Week 4 I did Poipole, a Pokemon I had as my avatar for a very very long time before this project. This Pokemon has some really strange proportions so it took me a long time to get those right.
W05 - Ligtard.png
- For Week 5 a friend made me do Dracozolt, and it's one of my favorite Galar Pokemon so that's good. In hindsight, I could have made the feathers a lot bigger, but oh well.
W06 - om.png
- For Week 6 RNG chose Gabite, who I don't dislike but I don't have any huge personal attachment to at the same time. I still have no idea whether or not it was the right move adding the oval thing near the back side of his head...
W07 - dang it.png
- For Week 7 I chose Sableye, my third favorite Pokemon of all time. I pushed a lot of my all time favorites back until later in the year just in case I run low on motivation for whatever reason.
W08 - He comin.png
- For Week 8 a friend made me do Furret, who's cute but not a Pokemon I'm a massive fan of. Modeled this one after the Furret Walk that took Twitter by storm one time.
W09 - Funny Fish.png
- For Week 9 RNG chose Basculin, who I'm not a huge fan of but I don't dislike. This is my current Discord avatar.

That's about it! I have a few sprites I may work on tomorrow so I may post those soon, but if not I'll post again when I have six more of those avatars. See you all then!

DuoM2

whao
Hey, two back-to-back posts decently soon after each other! That's a new one for this thread. Other than literally the first week I had this thread up where I had a ton of stuff made in advance, I haven't ever been able to post so soon after my last post. I found an old sprite that I made that was worth talking about and I have some more new stuff I made, all of which (except for a new discord avatar) is coincidentally centered around water.

06 - Cephalopire.png
- Gonna start this post off with one that I've already noticed a few issues with since I made it a week ago, but I can definitely post again next week if I get around to changing it. This is Cephalopire, a design I made for another idea that's been bouncing around in my head for a while. I originally made this for a Pet Mod called The Pokedex Redone, which aimed to make a "replacement" for every Pokemon in the Pokedex, but it got shut down before I ever had a good idea of how I wanted it to look. Instead, I can use this for my own Pet Mod, although it has to take the name "Aquatopus" and it's not part Dark-type unfortunately. This is based off of the vampire octopus / vampire squid, with its origins being pretty obvious. Changes I need to make include fixing the perspective on the collar and making the arm tentacles a little bit wider so they match the other ones, but those aren't the only things I'll change when I get back to this.

07 - Egg Jellyfish.png
- This is an unnamed egg jellyfish. I genuinely have no idea where the inspiration for this came from, but I thought of it a few weeks ago as a joke and didn't really think much about it until this morning when the wifi went out and forced me to at least pretend to be productive with my time. When I had first come up with the idea I thought about there being cracks through the eggshell to resemble eyes, and I had a basic sketch for it, but I hadn't thought much deeper than that. Then I came up with the idea to continue with the cracked theme and make his head nearly destroyed, then I came up with the idea to make the yolk give the illusion of pupils even though it doesn't actually have eyes, then I thought about having eggshell pieces in the body, and that was the point I was finally confident enough to design it. Around the end I noticed that the head looked very overdesigned when compared to the body so I made the tentacles look dribbly. Other than that there's not much to say, but it was hilarious showing my friends this and with them having no clue what it is, only to find out that it's an egg.

sharmpedo.png
- To clarify, this one is a joke, this one is stupid, please do not take it seriously in any way, shape, or form. Thank you. If you want an explanation for why it exists, it's something that I used to take seriously before realizing how corny and not good it is. I can't imagine anyone reading this would follow my thread too closely, so I'll just mention that about six years ago was when I started doing pixel art, and back then I made Pokemon fusions instead of doing anything from scratch. I thought I was the coolest thing ever and I thought this was a genuinely good idea back then. My friends told me it was stupid but I basically shut out their opinion, and this is what I got from it. Sure enough, after I moved, made some new friends, and showed them all of my old fusions after taking the time to reflect and realize they were awful, one of them pointed this one out and it kinda became an inside joke for a while. All I had even back then was a bad fuzzy jpeg of all of them, so I took the time to recreate this one just for joke's sake. I think it became an emote in our Discord server for a while, which is honestly best case scenario, because at least someone else can find enjoyment out of the old art I'm not happy with anymore.

I'm probably just gonna end the post here, I'll save the one new Discord avatar I've made since my last post until the next time I post here. With quarantine and a lot of ideas coming in, I may be able to post here again soon, but don't take my word for it because I've said this in the past and then proceeded to take two months until posting again. Either way, thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I really really like your sprites... I’ve been making a Pokémon game and I can’t draw the fakemon I created, is there any way at all you’d make some for me? Maybe on commission even

DuoM2

whao
With quarantine and a lot of ideas coming in, I may be able to post here again soon, but don't take my word for it because I've said this in the past and then proceeded to take two months until posting again.
well good thing i said that extra bit at the end lol

Over three months later and I'm finally posting again, this time with my last three Roulettemons sprites I made and A BUNCH of avatars.

Blastora (By Duo).png
- This is Blastora. All three names today came from a random name generator online, and while the first part of the name comes from Blast, I didn't know where the -tora came from, so I just made it a torch. It's a pure Fire-type, and although Fire/Rock would suit this much better, the pure Fire typing would have shown on screen with this had they ever implemented sprites into the main server. Roulettemons stuff aside, this is based on a torch. I used old-timey torch designs to add to the head to make it stand out more than it just being a thing of coal and nothing else, and it helps that a ring around its face helps it look like a mask. I had to add a big chunk of coal to the top of its torso to make it look "complete," I guess. It just kinda looked weird without it honestly.

Catelax.png
- This is Catelax. This name was randomly generated and combines Caterpillar and Relax, so I felt like making a sleepy worm of some kind. The origin for this one mostly ended up coming from velvet worms, and I felt "velvet blanket" was a fine enough connection to make. I got to pour a ton of sleep-related stuff into this one, like a neck pillow, dream clouds, and night cap, but by far my favorite little detail about this one is that his antennae come out in the shape of a "Z," even if it's harder to see the second one. Pretty fun design to work on, and a lot of the stuff I've been drawing so I could sprite them later have had similar amounts of detail packed into them as opposed to stuff like Blastora.

Lemotic.png
- This is Lemotic. This name probably comes from Lemur and Hypnotic but I took a completely different spin on it and made it Lemon and a corruption of the word Optic. I didn't really know how I was going to do this until the idea of a lemon tree monster just kind of plopped into my head all at once. Didn't really know how it'd look in practice because the idea for it is so weird but I ended up getting a decent amount of compliments for it.

And finally, I'll end out the post with all of the avatars I've made since my last post. I think I've improved A LOT since the start of this year, but I don't know if that's just because I didn't put my all into the ones I've made earlier on or not. Either way.

W10 - Best Starter.png
W11 - Fraug.png
W12 - Cheep Cheep.png
W12.5 - Time To Take A.png
W13 - EGDE GNITTUC.png
W14 - Daniel's uhhhhhhh.png
W15 - Cheep Cheep 2.png
W16 - new main.png
W17 - Duoludon.png
W18 - Snowshrew.png
W19 - Duo.png
W20 - Poggenrola.png
W21 - I P1SSED ON THE MOON YOU IDIOT.png
W22 - Tangod.png
W23 - Corviknight.png

- I made the Roggenrola way too big on accident. Coincidentally, that was also the one that inspired a friend of mine to start learning pixel art.

- Mario Pissing was for April Fool's Day, I made an extra one that week.

- I'm two weeks behind. I should have a Deino and Whimsicott by now but I don't. I'm working on getting it back to normal though.

That's about it. I don't know when I'll post next but see you all then!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)