Dubz Community Create-A-Team (CCAT) v1.0 - Submit Revisions!

To be honest, I heavily disagree with Excadrill; all it does is compound the teams' current weaknesses. Last I checked, we were talking about how troubling Ludicolo could be, and lack of speed control, so I nominate something that can reliably deal with both issues:

Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 20 SpA / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Icy Wind
- Sunny Day
- Safeguard

The spread is a bit flighty, I might look into it a bit more and patch it up, but the basic goal is to make this Cresselia specially defensive (without too much loss of physical bulk), so it can handle Ludicolo reliably and consistently. Icy Wind is here to resolve the issue of speed control. We need some. I am also heavily debating Thunder Wave though, as it only hits one foe, but completely cripples it as opposed to just slowing it down a little. Safeguard is here for one reason and one reason only: Thundurus. Tyranitar is going to hate Prankster TWaves. Safeguard is here to spare it the trouble that those will give it. Sunny Day is probably what everyone will say is bad and inconsistent with this team. I respectfully disagree: it allows us to handle rain with more ease, and Volcarona additionally will actually benefit from it, as Heat Wave in the sun is going to hurt. Sunny Day can also be used if an opposing (and more dedicated; aka Excadrill) sand team is giving us trouble. From my viewpoint, Sunny Day is a great option, allowing our team to change directions when in a tight spot; the flexibility it provides will definitely pay off. Also note that if, for example, Rotom-W needed an unweakened Hydro Pump to snag a KO, we could easily remove Sunny Day from the field by switching in TTar; All Sunny Day really does is secure our control of the weather (basically like a pseudo-dual weather option).

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nollan

Excadrill exacerbates our vulnerability to rain, and makes our team dependent on sand. Seeing how TTar is one of our main sweepers, having a Sand-dependent mon is the best course of action, since our TTar isn't really meant to switch in and out.

Kyurem is great versus rain, but exacerbates our weakness to Rock Slide spam. I'm really not impressed with that particular Suicune set, either. Nollan's Cresselia just seems to be the safest choice that will offer our team the most flexibility

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Laga

Sorry for voting for myself, but I really do not see how the other Pokemon help this team. The most potent one is definitely Nollan's; why Excadrill is a pretty bad fit has already been explained by Pocket.

When it comes to Suicune and Cresselia, I definitely think we have enough support options for one team already; especially since Kyurem also provides support. Hitmontop + Rotom-W is enough of a check to Rock Slide spam in my honest opinion. Since we have Rage Powder bulky Volc, Light Screen bulky Rotom-W, Taunt on Tornadus, and fully supportive Hitmontop already, I doubt we need another Pokemon fully dedicated to support like Cresselia and Suicune. Therefore, offensive support Kyurem is my pick.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nollan. Excadrill just isnt a good choice for the team in general, and some of the explanation on the other sets is pretty shaky imo (just because you have a resist berry and an super effective move doesnt make it a good check to something, especially when what you're trying to hit tends to have resist berries as well). Cresselia seems like it adds the most versatility and supports the team best, so I'm voting for that.

Nollan

Kyurem was pretty good too, but I like how Cresselia isn't deathly weak to sand or rain, and can actually help against both (Kyurem can't really reliable handle Rain, since it has no control over the weather, and some clever switching should theoretically allow a well-built Rain team to work around it; Sand is just lol vs it). I also like Suicune a bit, but Ludicolo gives it trouble, unfortunately. As for Excadrill, haters (me) gonna hate. Jk, I like Excadrill, it just compounds our weaknesses and doesn't really work well with the team. (Also sorry for voting for myself for like the 5th time in a row x_x)

Laga
Although we honestly need a Thunder Waver more than Glaciate, this team is too defensively inclined as is and could use some Draco Meteor. Plus no one put up an option for Thunder Wave.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Laga
Having tried it out firsthand, Kyurem has impressed me time and time again. Glaciate has good coverage and can nail some threats hard despite being primarily a support move, and also allow Tyranitar to outspeed some threats it otherwise wouldn't have and usually doesn't force T-Tar to Dance, otherwise giving itself away against Thundurus-I who usually won't try to paralyze a Tyranitar. While I feel Excadrill is still better to resolve any genie issues the team has, Kyurem has proven to be the more consistent option overall, especially regarding its performance against opposing weather as per mentioned by so many.

Last edited:

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's been a few days, sorry guys! Anyway, we have a team now! The last set to make it on our team is Laga's Kyurem!

Kyurem @ Haban Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpA / 32 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Glaciate
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Protect

In addition, Audiosurfer, Pocket, Laga, and Nollan will all receive leaderboard points for their sets being chosen for the team. Congrats fellas! Now we're going to move onto the playtesting and discussion phase. During this time, you are free to ladder with the team and make any changes necessary to help you succeed. I encourage you to paste many replays of this team in action. Please paste any changes you have made as well as further information that can help this team perform better. The best posters during this phase will receive more leaderboard points! Shortly after this, we will have a laddering competition, with more details to be posted later. Enjoy the team and happy battling!

Copy and paste this into the Pokemon Showdown! Team Builder Import / Export window:

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Protect

Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Electric Gem
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 244 SAtk / 16 SDef / 12 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Light Screen
- Protect

The Destructor (Tornadus) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Taunt
- Protect

Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 64 Def / 128 SDef
Careful Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Helping Hand

Kyurem @ Haban Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SAtk / 32 SDef / 40 Spd
Modest Nature
- Glaciate
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Protect

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong, @NixHex, but as long as you keep the initial core of Rage Powder Volcarona and DD Tyranitar intact then anything's game. You can tweak Volcarona and Tyranitar's sets, but don't take out Rage Powder and Dragon Dance, respectively.

Minimal changes are best, of course.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go through a bunch of ladder battles taking notes, so I'll write up my laddering experience later
(Starting w/ the team having no changes tho)

-Not so keen on the team's current set up, but nothing valid to report, so meh :(

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alright I will now explain to you @Nollan, why Cresselia does not work, and also why you should not switch out Hitmontop for Conkeldurr just yet.

I am a bit pissed off that you just trashed the 2 Pokemon that I nominated and literally threw on the exact ones that you nominated those rounds. In fact, that is actually kinda lame...

This many changes should definitely not be proposed in a single post and see the above why. People didn't vote for those. Only small nitpicks should be suggested in bunches; complete changes of two entire team slots is way too much, especially alongside that many nitpicks.

Let me counter argue why you should not change Kyurem to Cresselia. Kyurem may not be a hard Dragon counter, and it might not be a super bulky motherfucker. But at least it does not hit like a soggy bag of Garbodor's balls. This is why I nominated it in the first place. You see, once you change it to Cresselia, there are way too many Pokemon that hit like a bitch. What happens next now. Oh, we change a soggy supporter to a powerful attacker. Well, you just switched a powerful supporter to a soggy one, and Cresselia on this team just really doesn't do anything but control Speed. Kyurem, on the other hand, hits Dragon-types extremely hard; something the team needs to in order to find good offensive synergy. In addition to this, its coverage move in Earth Power hits Steel-types (our main Pokemon's worst nightmare) for great damage.

I also do not belive that Rotom-W should be a defensive variant. My personal rule of thumb is this; run offensive EVs on Pokemon that do not learn Rage Powder, Follow Me, Icy Wind, or Helping Hand, and preferably 2 of those. Rotom-W has none, and it also has awesome dual offensive STABs, so I see no reason to make it a bulky set.

Please do the following steps

1) Start with small nitpicks, and small nitpicks only.
2) Don't change the entire team after playing 2 games.
3) Don't suggest the entire team changed in one post and
4) Please don't rob me of my Pokemon nominations to switch them out for yours, that is really obnoxious...

Pocket

If you want to prove a point, please find better replays, Nollan. Even your match vs BlankZero didn't reveal much about the utility of Cresselia on that team. In fact if you had stuck with Kyurem, you could have had a much easier time disposing his Rotom-W and Heatran that Cresselia struggled to do much of anything.

Chesto Rest Rotom-W was an interesting tweak, though. This team can use some additional buffer against Rock Slide spam, which it really hates - Hitmontop can only switch-in so many times. Maybe even give Rotom-W Will-o-Wisp @ Sitrus Berry

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)