Monotype Dual Screens Volcarona Fire

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey, really solid looking team! I have a few suggestions, mostly regarding the slashes on your Pokemon.

• Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split --> Will-O-Wisp ; Since Fire is a very offensive type, you just want to Volt Switch into something that can abuse the screens as long as possible after setting them up. Since you're running a Specially Defensive variant, Will-O-Wisp will also help you cripple physical attackers so I recommend going with Will-O-Wisp.
  • Focus Blast / Roost / Dragon Pulse --> Focus Blast ; Focus Blast is useful for hitting Tyranitar, Heatran, Politoed (you can't hit it with Solar Beam on the switch-in) etc. which is very useful for your team. Dragon Pulse doesn't OHKO any Dragon-type from full and that matchup itself is still pretty much hopeless which is why I recommend Focus Blast. You do have a Choice Band Infernape so it's not like this is your only check to those Pokemon but being able to deal with them with Mega Charizard Y is definitely very convenient and the best coverage option.
  • Stone Edge / U-Turn / Thunder Punch --> U-Turn ; Against Flying-type teams I'd just click Flare Blitz because it hits very hard and does almost as much damage as Stone Edge. Mega Gyarados does get to set up if you do this but by mega evolving it dodges the super effective damage from Stone Edge anyway. U-Turn on a fast Pokemon like Infernape with a Choice Band is really useful for gaining momentum and switch initiative while dealing a good amount of damage to the foe.
  • Sludge Wave / Flash Cannon --> Sludge Wave ; You already explained which one does what but I'd go with Sludge Wave because it's stronger and hits Azumarill like you said. With a bit of chip damage on Mega Diancie, Steam Eruption will be able to take it out even in the sun so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
  • Lava Plume / Will-O-Wisp --> Lava Plume ; Not running a reliable attacking move on Torkoal can put you in tough situations sometimes so I recommend going with Lava Plume since it's a reliable STAB move and has a pretty decent chance to burn anyway.
Rotom-Heat @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Will-O-Wisp

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-Turn
- Flare Blitz

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Clear Smog

Hope I helped, good luck with the team! :toast:

DISTROBRO

Banned deucer.
I experimented with screens volcarona two years ago and at that time everyone seemed to think screens fire wasn't legit at all, but then again when i started using defog charY around the same time people were calling me crazy.

Today screens volcarona is a semi-legit, semi-meme strat that works OK in LTM and UU tours, but on high ladder having two pokémon 4x weak to rock is purely masochistic, and no amount of torkoal is going to change that.

As you said, it's only "successful mid-ladder", as sample teams usually are. Just wanted to put that out there.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)