XY LC Drilburing a hole into the meta

It's Ya Boy PumpHead here, and I decided I should go for an RMT with something that I like quite a bit in the current meta: Scarf Drilbur. I already did a video on this, but I figured I should try my hand at another RMT since I've not done one since I've been decently known. The team has changed a bit since the video, so there may be some differences (but still the same concept) Video below, leggo.
also no significant ladder peaks because the ladder can't judge me

fletch a shit (Archen)
Ability: Defeatist
Level: 5
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 56 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Acrobatics
Archen is actually what I started with this team with, because I hadn't used one back when Fletchling became everywhere. This changed around quite a bit set wise, from an Evio in the first rendition, to itemless, to the BJ one in the video, and now is back to itemless. Itemless is what I chose to be check to Foongus/Fletchling, and it can also deal with typical max speed Mienfoo if I need to rely on a speed tie. It also lures Mienfoo in a lot of the time, because most Archens are not itemless and Foo can live the hit from Evio/BJ ones. The Knock Off slot was also adjusted a bit, from Defog to Rocks to Substitute to the current Knock Off. Defog was there before Drilbur was in the team, and Rocks was an idea before I decided Eviolite Pawniard with them. Substitute was to potentially set it up while switching it in on Foongus, which didn't work as well as I hoped. I was tempted to go Defog again, but running no item didn't really give it the staying power of the bulkier Archens, so I left it to Knock Off just because cripple stuff.

HATE BEIN SOBA (Drilbur) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 236 Atk / 60 SpD / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
What this team then became great for. Basically, if you do not have a Flying type on your team (which is decently uncommon, the three you will see being Vullaby/Archen/Fletchling) you do not have a switch in. All will die. Scarfed Adamant death to the face of your babies. Poison Jab is primarly for Cottonee, because it walls typical SRing or SD Drilbur. I did run Jolly before because it speed tied Scarf Timid Chinchou, but I didn't think it was that important when I have Cottonee and even Mienfoo to an extent to take hits from it. This does solid damage to so many mons, and nobody ever expects Choice Scarf on it. It can deal with Misdreavus and other Scarfers, like Pawniard (assuming not using Sucker), getting hard hits on Scraggy, and getting the jump on Magnemite. And even if they have a flying type, Rock Slide still does about 30-40% to each of those Pokemon on the typical spreads. This is the reason I use this team day-to-day, because this Drilbur grabs so many won games.
Quote from the mighty Caledrith:
Caledrith : scarf
Caledrith : u wot m8
and also, TheRealTCR:
TCR : they wouldn't even put Scarf Drilbur in the analysis ;(

Racist Pokemon (Cottonee) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP/ 196 Def / 76 SpA / 196 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- Stun Spore
Cottonee fixed the common Chinchou weakness from both Pokemon currently. It also gives great support and helps check DD Scraggy and other setup sweepers. This set is rather standard and it works well enough for me. Stun Spore catches a lot of switch-ins to attempt to break it (Fletchling, Archen) and makes dealing with them a lot easier. Cottonee just adds a lot more offensive pressure to opposing teams, making it difficult to set up.

Guitarist (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
Pawniard is one of the saving graces to this team. It is the most common lead for my games, because it is rather safe against most teams (unless they are leading Drilbur or something of the like). Eviolite Pawniard is great because it can take hits that the typical sets can't, and nobody expects it anymore because Scarf is the majority of what you see these days. It gives many other situations you can set up SR on switch outs. Moves all standard, and it works as well as typical Pawniard does.

Piss Rag (Misdreavus) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 SpA / 28 SpD / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
Bread and butter SubNP Misdreavus. It does what normal Misdreavus does, gleaming and shadow balling and the like. I felt SubNP was the best set for this team because it's the most broke because it puts lots of pressure on Pawniards and Fighting types that need to break the sub. It used to carry HP Fighting instead, but Gleam became more useful for dealing with Fighting types like Mienfoo when I'm behind a sub. Also, people like to say this nickname is too crude. Shiny Misdreavus is like a ghostly rag someone pissed in. I'm sorry.

rip to tupac (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 80 HP/ 116 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD
IVs: 0 Spd
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Knock Off
This was the last piece to the team, and I didn't want to go with with standard max speed Mienfoo or standard Eviolite Foo. So instead, I stole an idea from absdaddy and went with Swords Dance BP Mienfoo. This further assists Scarf Drilbur's conquest against the world with a +2 to net OHKOs on things like Misdreavus. It also has the fighting type pressure all teams need to deal with common threats. There is so many situations where Mienfoo can SD on switches+go to Drilbur, and then it's gg.

Threatlist Time:
I really have nothing to break Ferroseed easily (which seems to be all over the ladder recently). I can perhaps set up on them with Misdreavus, but most carry Thunder Wave. Top threat to this team.
Archen can break it, but nothing can switch in on it.

Well, what do you all think?

Who I thank for this:
no one I built this by myself
The people who were highlighted in this thread for being helpful to the cause.
My MacBook for letting me write this.
Importable below
fletch a shit (Archen)
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 56 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Acrobatics

HATE BEIN SOBA (Drilbur) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 236 Atk / 60 SpD / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Racist Pokemon (Cottonee) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 40 HP/ 196 Def / 76 SpA / 196 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- Stun Spore

Guitarist (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Mary J Blige (Misdreavus) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 SpA / 28 SpD / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam

rip to tupac (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 80 HP/ 116 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD
IVs: 0 Spd
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Knock Off

Last edited:

absdaddy

Banned deucer.
nice hl
If you want to keep the Mienfoo more passing oriented, i'd suggest dropping speed even lower and maximizing bulk(0ivs and negative nature give you the magic 9 - sometimes it's useful to pass last vs some slowmons which can damage Drilbur and are common Foo switchins, like Spritzee, bulk because you are not supposed to do damage but to pass which is easier with higher bulk, no? especially given the fact that absfoo is slow af)

One thing i can see working here is Twave Pawn - set remains same, just drop Suckerpunch. That Jirachi-eqsue pawniard has a pretty big chance to beat switching in Mienfoos and other weird stuff. Just watch out for Timburr, which is covered with Archen i guess(thunderpunch lololo)
You may also want to go with Memento over Sub on Cottonee and maximize speed to memento Fletch(you outprioritize it)-Mienfoo can safely pass vs -2 bird. Even if it sets up SD before your pass, with maxbulk you are taking Acro comfortably.
What more can i say, nice team, love the idea since i ran something similar for ages, this is a good example that not everything is what it looks like at first.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
pumphead :o
This is a really nice team, but a few minor things

If you give Cottonee 60 SpA EVs, it will maintain 11 SpA but you will also be able to add 36 HP EVs to hit 21 HP.

As Absdaddy said, you could probably afford to drop the Speed for slower baton passes; whether you use a -Spe nature is up to you, but the EVs themselves could probably be better placed in HP for more overall bulk. In addition, the nature should probably be changed to Impish to hit Eviolite numbers. These changes will help you survive a few KOs you otherwise could not.
236 Atk Pawniard Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 9-12 (42.8 - 57.1%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
236 Atk Pawniard Iron Head vs. 76 HP / 116+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 7-10 (31.8 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 236 Atk Life Orb Pawniard Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 21-27 (100 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 236 Atk Life Orb Pawniard Iron Head vs. 76 HP / 116+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 19-23 (86.3 - 104.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
196+ Atk Fletchling Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 18-24 (85.7 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
196+ Atk Fletchling Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 76 HP / 116+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 18-24 (81.8 - 109%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 212+ Atk Tirtouga Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
+2 212+ Atk Tirtouga Waterfall vs. 76 HP / 116+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 15-18 (68.1 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Surf vs. 0 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Surf vs. 76 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 18-22 (81.8 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

That's pretty much all I can think of though

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Hi PumpHead, in my opinion your team is weak to Porygon-Timburr core. If you can't knock off the eviolite, Porygon can wall every move since Mienfoo hasn't a Full Attacker spread and Timburr can easily kill Pawniard (your only check). So you can replace dazzling gleam in Misdreavus with HP fighting. After a Nasty Plot you can 2HKO Porygon, instead of 3HKO with Dazzling Gleam. After that, I like the idea of Scarf Drilbur because thanks to mold breaker can at least 2HKO every pokemon with EQ, except for flying types lol. Memento is obviously better than Substitute on Cottonee, as absdaddy has suggested. Since you have Mold Breaker to break Sturdy Juice, I would replace Stealth Rock and Eviolite on Pawniard with Break Break and a Life Orb set. That's all. Btw the team is pretty solid, so I'll try it:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)