Dreams within Dreams

Dreams within Dreams
A 5th Gen. RMT

Introduction:
Basically, I saw the banlist of the tier, and noticed that Deoxys-S was not in there, and was inspired to build a team to abuse the entry hazards Deoxys-S provides. I decided that using Choiced users with entry hazards was the way to go, as it has served me very well the last generation getting me to the OU leaderboard (/brag). The good thing is, this generation, there came Pokemon with abnormally huge attacking stats, comparable to that of the Ubers. Equipping them with Choiced items, and supporting them with entry hazards will make them incredibly hard to wall. I'm not seriously laddering with this team, but its got me to a decent rating, and won me roughly 85% of my matches.

Game Plan:
Get Spikes and Stealth Rock up with Deoxys-S and work from there; At the very least, I aim for one layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock, as the absolute minimum. This team uses the old school Dragon+Steel combo from the previous generation, and unsurprisingly has great defensive and offensive synergy even in the 5th gen. It also uses two Special Attackers, in Genosect and Lucario (OMG SPECS LUCARIO N00B!!!), and two Physical Attackers, which are Choice Band Salamence and Garchomp. Salamence and Garchomp crack the mid game open with their boosted attacks, and steel types coming into wall them are severely weakened out by the dual Outrages. Late game, I usually find Genosect finishing off the game with its powerful Bug Buzz, or Lucario cleaning up the remains with Vacuum Wave. I feel that the team has covered most threats relatively well. However, I do think that some threats still cause it some problems, such as weather teams, and this is where I need help.

Indepth:

Deoxys-S @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Superpower
---

Set Analysis:
Stealth Rock and Spikes is obvious for an entry hazard lead. Taunt is to stop slower leads like Skarmory, Forretress, and Nattorei from getting hazards down. Superpower is there for the random Lead Tyranitar I've been seeing, and Heatran switching in, expecting me to have Extremespeed or some other resisted move. 252 Spe to outspeed every non Choice Scarf lead, and 252 HP to take random attacks from Taunted leads. Deoxys-S almost always guarantees that I get up a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock, and always causes a switch once it Taunts the opposing lead. Sometimes if I manage to lay down all 3 layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock, I save Deoxys-S as death fodder, to scout movesets of threats I'm unsure of, or take crippling status aimed at one of the team members. Something like Skarmory or Nattorei wasn't chosen, because Speed is everything for this team and its fast paced nature, so Deoxys-S was the obvious choice. I don't bother to Taunt against offensive leads like Meteor Mash+Bullet Punch Metagross (yes it exists even in this gen), and just get Stealth Rock down.

Team Work:
It sets down the highly important Spikes and Stealth Rock, which helps the Choice users a lot, making their counters 2HKOed or even OHKOed. Shandera and Salamence absolutely HATE Stealth Rock, and with no recovery will end up dead. Deoxys-S preventing Stealth Rock from being set-up, prolongs their lives.
---

Shandera (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef/ 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Energy Ball
---
Set Analysis:
In every Spike-Stacking team, a Spin-Blocker is necessary, this team is no exception; With Rotom-A gone as a Spin-Blocker and Revenge killer, I had to move onto the next best thing. This thing absolutely loves entry hazards even with no Special Attack boosting item. It managed to 2HKO Kerudio after hazards damage, which is unreal. The Spread and nature is obvious for a revenge killer, and there is no reason to NOT use Shadow Tag on a Choice Scarf Shandera. Shandera usually comes into the threats Genosect pulls out; Heatran loves to switch into Genosect (since mine lacks a move to significantly hurt it with) and firing of Flamethrowers, removing Heatran with HP Ground, means that Genosect can abuse its moves easier, and more often than not, I find Genosect rampaging through the foe's team with Heatran removed. TBH, Shandera is best defined as the Wobbuffet of the 5th gen, with a Choice Scarf and Shadow Tag, anything locked into the wrong move is guaranteed to be eliminated from the battle.

Team Work:
As mentioned, Shandera is a great way to remove troublesome Heatran for Genosect, more importantly it takes out Bronzong attempting to wall Garchomp's and Salamence's Outrage assaults. Metagross, Bronzong, Nattorei are the initial Outrage switch-ins for my dragons, luring them and frying them with Fire Blast definitely helps Salamence and Garchomp in the long run. IMO, Shandera is definitely the most supportive member of the team.
---

Lucario (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Vacuum Wave
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball
- Close Combat
---
Set Analysis:
"FUCKER (BAN ME PLEASE), WTF SPECS LUKE", is what I get when I destroy their beloved Doryuuzu with Vacuum Wave. Close Combat bluffs a Swords Dance set, so people tend to switch in their Physical walls in, only to be destroyed by a boosted Aura Sphere. Shadow Ball is chosen over Dark Pulse, since Aura Sphere and Shadow ball have perfect coverage, hitting everything in the metagame. Vacuum Wave has saved my butt many times, once I was battling some weird lategame Rock Polish Rhyperior with only Salamence and Lucario left, it OHKOed the damn thing at 57%. Close Combat is necessary for Blissey or Evolution Stone Chansey. Currently, Fighting- type attacks are being thrown around the metagame like crazy, from Technician Breloom, and the dominant Bulk Up Roobushin. I decided to take advantage of this and abuse Lucario's signature move in Aura Sphere. The reason why I didn't opt for a Swords Dance Lucario, is a) Because this is an all choice team, and b)to overwhelm physically bulky threats aiming to sponge Close Combats. Finally Lucario is the first Steel- type of my Steel+Dragon core.

Team Work:
Lucario works like a stand alone attacker, and revenges Swords Dance Doryuuzu, who is otherwise highly threatening for the team. As mentioned, Lucario lures in physically bulky opponents and destroys them with their Special Attacks, who would otherwise cause problems for the Physical Attackers of this team, Salamence and Garchomp.
---

Genosekuto @ Choice Specs
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def/ 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
---
Set Analysis:
One of the best new threats to enter the game, imo. With a Download Sp. Atk boost, and Choice Specs, its attacks do an immense amount of damage even when resisted. Between those four moves, it has perfect coverage, outside of Heatran, and more often than not, I find myself using Bug Buzz, which is a highly useful sweeping tool late game, with Heatran, and faster Choice Scarf Pokemon removed. However, abusing Bug Buzz is fun and all, opposing Choice Scarf Shandera pose a huge threat, towards Genosect locked into Bug Buzz. This is why I scout first before going on to abuse its STAB. I've been using Modest for quite some time, and recently started using Timid nature. Nowadays, I'm seeing stuff like Adamant Salamence, and Modest Raikou, the former OHKOed by Ice Beam, and Raikou destroyed by Bug Buzz after Spikes+SR damage.

Team Work:
Genosect is a great way to lure in and trap many foes with Fire- type attacks with Shandera, such as opposing Genosect. I also find Choice Scarf Randorosu coming in, and trying to revenge Genosect with Earthquake, which is a great opportunity for Salamence to come in and wreck havoc. All in all, Genosect is a great attacker by itself, and provides many opportunities for the other members to come in and do their thing.
---

Salamence (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Aqua Tail
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw
---
Set Analysis:
Nothing really changed about Salamence this gen.; it's still a potent attacker, and only fears the bulky Steel- types, Metagross, Bronzong, Registeel. These Steel- types are relatively easy to stop, as most try to come in on Genosect for some reason, and take big damage from Bug Buzz, or are trapped and killed by Shandera. Aqua Tail is there to take advantage of the rain induced by Politoed. IMO, Fire Fang is pretty useless; I never actually find Salamence facing Nattorei, since by the time Salamence comes in, Nattorei is gone, so I was wondering what to put in there, maybe Dragon Tail to spread around Spikes damage?

Team Work:
Salamence's job is to come in after the removal of Steel types and Outrage its head off, and spread residual damage to soften the foe up for the rest of the team. How does it spread residual damage? Well basically when Spikes and Stealth Rock are set up, and Salamence comes in to Outrage once the Steel types have been removed, the opponent switches his Pokemon like a crazy maniac bringing in Zuruzukin to lower Salamence's attack with Intimidate, and other ways to Stall out Outrage's rampage and induce confusion. This switching around done by the opponent really does weaken important threats, and means the next dragon has an easier time against them..
---

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
---
Set Analysis:
In Gen. 4, I always heard great things about Garchomp, about its power, its bulk, but I never got to use it, since I got into competitive Pokemon after its banishment. But now that I've used it, I can say that its a great mix between power and bulk. With defenses equivalent to those of Swampert, Garchomp has the power to take on boosted attacks from stat uppers, and continue its terrorism. Garchomp comes in once its partner Salamence has punched holes in the opponent's team, and finishes the remains with Dragon Claw. Most people expect Garchomp to be the Scarf variant, and expect its Dragon- attacks to be "weak" enough to sponge, and boy are they wrong when their Bulk Up Roobushin goes down to Outrage. Garchomp's speed is also incredibly useful to outspeed the new threats with those troll Speed stats (98, 97, 101).

Team Work:
As said before, Garchomp and Salamence are partners, bringing many resistances to the table, such as to Ground- type attacks (Salamence) and a very valuable immunity to Electric- type attacks, and to an extension, Thunder Wave (Garchomp). Scarf Randorosu and Scarf Tyranitar come into stop Salamence's rampage with Stone Edge, but then allow Garchomp to begin its own.
---

Conclusion
Well that's it folks, I hope you enjoyed my first Gen. 5 RMT, since I definitely enjoyed writing it, and battling with this team. Generation 5 just has so much diversity at the moment, that you can run any team style you choose, whether it be Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Trick Room, or even Gravity. I feel that this team however is still weak to a couple of threats, such as Life Orb Starmie, for whom I have to play Shandera very carefully, and I hope the raters can help me with this. Also here are a few shout-outs to the people I've met on Smogon:

#arabs:
  • aziki: My ex-tutor, and probably the one who encouraged me to get more involved in the site. Fools around a lot on #arabs, but a pretty cool guy nonetheless.
  • blue/Bloo: Has helped me plenty with my rates, and has been a role model for me in the RMT forum. Really appreciate the work you do for the RMT forum, and thanks for all your help.
  • Grind_Pantera: I think you've quit Smogon, but yeah you made a good troll, and were a good person to talk to, wish you the best of luck in your future goals.
  • Iconic: We don't talk much on the channel, but by the looks of it, you're a pretty chill guy, and I hope we get to talk more.
  • Jirachi/Jumpluff: I think it's because of you the channel is alive, and its always fun and interesting to talk to you about irl stuff. Friendliest user I've met on the forums.
  • Lady_Bug: Always fun to test teams with you, and imo best Gen. 4 OU player, hope you maintain your excellent battling and go far in this Generation as well.
  • Malfunction: I guess university life has swept you away from Smogon, but you were the one created the channel, and got me into the anime "Haruhi Suzumiya" anime. I wish you the best of luck irl with your studies and goals.

RMT forum/#ratemyteam: It is my favorite place on the forums, so I thought I'd do one for it too
  • Aerrow: Highly active in RMT, and I enjoy reading your comprehensive rates, keep it up!
  • Bloo: Read above section
  • Faladran: I remember we started rating together at the same time, and throughout your consistency, you've greatly improved, and I hope you continue to improve, and go far.
  • Haunter: I used to be scared of you a lot when I joined, after my locked RMT, but in all seriousness, you're a very hard working moderator on these forums, locking inappropriate threads in a blink of an eye, and just want to thank you for doing an amazing job in patrolling these forums.
  • Heist: Really like the high quality rates and the helpful advice you give out, and hope you continue team rating
  • Ironbullet93: Don't see you around here as much, but seems like you're doing incredibly well in tournament play, and you'll be sure to do really well in this generation as well.
  • Smith: Also another brilliant rater, and a consistent one at that. Keep up your hard work and you'll be rewarded for sure.
  • Snorlaxe: Met you recently on #ratemyteam, and its pretty interesting to talk to you about team rating. You do a very good job in C&C, working hard in the GP team, keep it up and you will be rewarded for your hard work!
  • tab: Helped me a lot with the practice rates, and made me improved, but I guess university life has swept you away from the forums as wel, best of luck irl!
  • undisputed: You started rating recently, and gaining badges at a very fast pace. Always a pleasure to see some of the interesting sets you post.

That's it! Rate/Hate/Steal :)​
I'll try to get a threat list up of the common threats soon.​

Hi. This looks a great team but I have one thing to change. On deoxys use Magic Coat over Superpower. This allows you to reflect hazards back at the opponent and render mischevous heart leads usless.

I don't know if this is the point of your team, but every member of your team is choiced except for your lead, Deoxys-S... There isn't much room for versatility. I would change some of the sets to non-choiced, with the exception of Garchomp and Shandera since they are so effective as revenge killers. Just my two cents.

I decided that using Choiced users with entry hazards was the way to go
chanazn said:
I don't know if this is the point of your team, but every member of your team is choiced
So yes, it is the point of his team.

Considering your LO Starmie problem, why not give Genosect 248 HP EVs (248 instead of 252 so you can switch into SR 11 times without taking damage) and enough Speed to outrun Starmie while holding a Choice Scarf? Then you can switch into anything Starmie throws at you and, since Starmie will be like "how did he survive? He must be a bulky version so I can outspeed and KO the next turn" that is your chance to grap the KO with Bug Buzz.

Aren't you yourself pretty much raped by entry hazards with all the switching you'll be doing? Not to mention you won't be getting any up in the first place when they switch Espeon into your Deoxys, especially when your only attack is Superpower.

@ Plusle, thank you, I wasn't getting much mileage out of Superpower anyway, and I'll test Magic Coat

@ chanazn did you bother reading the introduction?

@ Shnoogle thats true, but bear in mind Genosect is not carrying a Choice Scarf atm. Also taking away all that power and putting it into HP just to handle LO Starmie isn't worth the huge drop in power, but I will test nonetheless

@ Jaroda, yeah thanks for pointing out the obvious threats, mind posting solutions? as that's what you're meant to be posting in RMTs... =/

Well, you can hit Espeon on the switch with Shadow Ball, since you'll know the enemy has one or not.

As for spinning, the best choices are Starmie and Doryuzu. Starmie could use Specs pretty well as it has a great special move pool and 115 speed. No point in using Doryuzuu without any sand.

Ehh Hi ^.^.Well this seems like a really cool team and its actually not Ss (Owmygosh!@).
Well anyway this seems like a solid team but it has a few noticable flaws.The biggest problem for this team imo is the glaring weakness to weather teams.Shandera in a Sand team is not exactly a very rare sight and as your sole check to Dory is Lucario it can easily get trapped and eliminated.And if this happens its pretty much gg as Dory could easily set up on the Resisted Outrages or other choice locked moves and ohk0 every member of your team.Rain is actually even more threatening as you cant stop Toad from getting rain up and after it is up Kingdra,Ludicolo and such Rain sweepers would easily muscle their way throgh.To solve this i suggest use a Ditto.(Do i really need to state which set? >____>) over Shandera.
This gives you a secondary reliable check to Weather teams and makes your team overall more stable.Ditto is a much better Revenge killer then Shandera in general and is quite helpful aginst the vast majority of threats in 5th gen.Shandera is also somewhat problematic for your team as it adds another weakness to Stealth rock which is already a large threat to choice teams.Besides Shandera isnt exactly a very reliable spin blocker as its quite scared of the common spinners such as Dory,Starmie etc.You loose the ability to trap most notably steels but i dont think thats too big of a loss seeing as your already 2hk0ing most of the more fragile steels like Luke,Dory and such while the more bulky ones like Skarmory,Nuttre tend to run Shed shell anyway.Ditto gives you a much needed secondary check to Dory and also performing very well against Rain teams.
Also I suggest trying Scarf Genosect who i find is a much better poke in general.It gives you another revenge killer who can be quite helpful as using solely ditto can overload it at times.Besides ScarfGenosect can be quite deadly aginst Stall which you might have some trouble aginst.Its also great for putting the enemy at pressure with Fast and Powerful U-turns.So uhh yeah perhaps you could try that out.The set is
Genosect @ Choice Scarf
Download
252 S.atk/252 Spe/4 Atk
Timid
- U Turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt.
Also Focus Sash isnt all too helpful aginst the common leads in B/W metagame.Tyranitar is about the only common lead who can actually ohk0 you but due to sand Focus sash is useless in that situation anyway.So i would suggest running....
Deoxys-S @ Leftovers
Pressure
252 Hp/252 Spe/4 Def
Timid
-Stealth rock
-Spikes
-Magic Mirror
-Taunt/Shadow Ball
Leftovers alongside 252 Hp grants extra survivability and a lot of times will let you get another layer of spikes in a lot of situations.Magic Mirror is just generally helpful on obvious taunts and also good for making other noobs do the work for you =3.The 4th move is more of a filler really.Taunt helps aginst mainly setting up so that Shandera dsn't get like 5 Cm's up or something.Shadow ball can be useful for Espeon who is kinda meh and uncommon in general but still....Its also good aginst Shandera as it could be troublesome for your team and likes switching into Deoxys-s leads a lot for god knows what reason.Well anyway thats all i have to say.I hope i helped and gl with your team.And props on actually making a team who has a good reason for using SpecsCario ^.^ .

Okay I'm going to flex my theorymon muscles and give a fifth gen rate, something I haven't done before, so bare with me. I would think that running a CB Dragonite over Salamence would be better, for a number of reasons. First, Extremespeed. Priority on a team like this is extremely important, and with Spikes, you'd be surprised what you can do. I remember that in 4th gen I used CB Dragonite + Spikes to great success, and let me tell you, Extremespeed saved my ass on multiple occasions, especially against the LO Starmie you currently have problems with. Secondly, better peripheral moves. Fire Fang, in my opinion, is pretty weak- wouldn't you prefer Superpower instead, to dent most everything in this metagame (not too many ghosts are switching into Dragonite, Psychic and Flying types are hardly seen and again, aren't switching in). Here's the set:

@ Choice Band
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly
-Outrage
-Waterfall
-Superpower
-Extremespeed

That's all the advice I have, I hope this helps. Good luck!

EDIT: @badabing, you are absolutely correct. I totally forgot that he had Waterfall and was merely trying to illustrate that the two can run a similar set. Waterfall is definitely better than Aqu Tail, thank you for reminding me.

Hello there. I really like the idea of this team and it looks pretty solid. I wasn't planning on a full rate, just seconding the CBnite mentioned above. The Mence-Chomp duo is a bit redundant and I think Dragonite brings more versatility to the table with valuable priority. One minor nitpick on the set though, Waterfall>Aqua Tail, in this situation imo. Perfect accuracy trumps a negligible 10 base power difference every time. Good luck with the team.

Thanks for all the rates thus far.

@ N00b Lyf3: Ditto sounds like a pretty good revenge killer against weather teams, which are this team's arch nemesis. Though I'm not sure if Shandera is the best Pokemon to replace it with, since Rapid Spin Doryuuzu and Starmie will have an easier time against this team, but I will test, just over a different member. The drop in power for Genosect is significant, although Spikes/SR does alleviate this, and U-turn also seems like a good option as sometimes I really do wish I can scout with Genosect and escape incoming Shandera (many love to switch into it)

@ Smith: Shit I forgot to mention you in the shout-outs, gotta change that :P. I see where you're coming from on the Dragonite, I don't think the drop of power is huge from Salamence, and I really do wish sometimes that I had other moves outside of Dragon Claw/Outrage/Aqua Tail/Earthquake, and I really like the moveset you've putten up. Finally Dragonite also has superior bulk, which is something I really want on Salamence taking on Hydro Pumps/Surfs, being my only Water- resist. The only downfall I can see is the Speed, but I doubt it'll make too much of a difference, thanks again man!

@ badabing: Yeah I was thinking that too, the extra 10 base power on Aqua Tail isn't really worth the -10% accuracy.

EDIT: 400th post yeah!

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
One thing I noticed: Timid Latios outspeeds everything you have outside of Shandera and Deoxys-S, and can use Draco Meteor and HP Fire to smash the other 4 (I don't know how many run HP Fire, but I know I do, but then again, I also run Modest), and better yet, laughs at Vacuum Wave. Of course, once it uses DM, it's almost forced to leave (-2 DM still OHKOes Salamence I think), but it still just smashed one of your Pokemon into the ground. Also, don't forget about those rain teams that comprise a large portion of the metagame.

Other than that, I really like the synergy you have going on here, and I'm glad someone else realizes the superiority of Special-based Lucario.

@ Hawkstar, yeah Latios is a bugger, but I've tried Scarf Genosect recently and its doing better than I thought (does an assload to latios with Bug Buzz (I tried U-turn too but BB was better)). The problem really is with Dragons, because my steel types (Lucario, Genosect) aren't really bulky enough to take on the stronger DMs which is what made you say that Latios will hurt something with DM, and I agree. Thanks for the comment though and the praise...

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I love the team. Probably a better team than any I could come up with. This team reminds me of one of reyscarface's teams...with all choice.
I can see this team getting the battle over with quickly, and good luck.
Can't really think of anything to fix, then again, I'm a total noob at rating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)