Dragonite (Mixed)+

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dragonite, http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/dragonite

[SET]
name: MixNite
move 1: Superpower
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Roost / Thunderbolt
item: Life Orb
nature: Rash
evs: 112 Atk / 200 SpA / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Mixed Dragonite functions extremely similar to Mixed Salamence. Both are impressive wall breakers and while Salamence seemingly has the advantage with this set because of its higher Special Attack, Dragonite's unique access to Superpower makes him worthy of consideration.</p>

<p>With a Rash nature and 112 Attack EVs Dragonite is guaranteed to OHKO 0 HP / 252 Def Bold Blissey, 252 HP Tyranitar, and 4 HP Heatran; with Stealth Rock damage. To again compare to MixMence, Salamence must rely on Brick Break to combat all three of these, none of which are OHKO'd, which again emphasizes the advantage of using MixNite over MixMence. Draco Meteor is for a powerful STAB and can deal massive damage to the likes of Hippowdon, Dusknoir, and Swampert. Fire Blast complements this set for nearly perfect coverage and prevents Skarmory and Bronzong from walling you entirely. Roost is the preferred option to recover Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage; however, Thunderbolt is a very good option to combat bulky water Pokemon such as Vaporeon and Milotic and allows you to OHKO Gyarados. Outrage could also find a place on this set as well as Earthquake to combat Tentacruel.</p>

<p>As stated prior, the given Attack EVs are necessary to OHKO Bold Blissey, Tyranitar, and Heatran. 196 Speed EVs place Dragonite at 245 Speed, enough to outrun Jolly Tyranitar and many Celebi and Zapdos, and the remaining EVs were placed in Special Attack.</p>

The only thing this set has over Mence is Super Power...

100 atk, 192 spe, 216 spa seems a lot better. Then use:
T-Bolt, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast/Flamethrower, SuperPower and a Naughty nature.

That's a lot more effective and has two moves Mence doesn't. It can easily sweep slow teams.

I would only consider Thunderbolt if it 2HKOs Vaporeon, and Draco Meteor doesn't. Vaporeon is a fairly common bulky water and is a decent switchin for most dragons. Thunderbolt would put it in it's place, perhaps?

I would only consider Thunderbolt if it 2HKOs Vaporeon, and Draco Meteor doesn't. Vaporeon is a fairly common bulky water and is a decent switchin for most dragons. Thunderbolt would put it in it's place, perhaps?
Of course: Damage: 49.78% - 58.41% to 252 HP/0 SpD Vaporeon. (most only have 188 EVs)
This is with 216 SpA EVs, and a neutral nature.

That's pretty much a 2HKO.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd prefer Thunderbolt as the second option over Crunch. I've used MixMence and MixNite extensively, and I can pretty much confidently say that Crunch for Cresselia / Dusknoir wasn't nearly as useful as Thunderbolting a Water on the switch (for Nite).

The OHKO on Gyarados should not be underestimated.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd prefer Thunderbolt as the second option over Crunch. I've used MixMence and MixNite extensively, and I can pretty much confidently say that Crunch for Cresselia / Dusknoir wasn't nearly as useful as Thunderbolting a Water on the switch (for Nite).

The OHKO on Gyarados should not be underestimated.
Yeah. I added in Thunderbolt. Do you happen to have a superior EV spread for Mixnite since you always tend to have good EV spreads ~_~?

I have had great success with this MixNite (from Perfect Chaos)

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 118 Atk/176 Spd/216 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
---

Also even if you don't want to adopt this set completely you should at least list Flamethrower as an option > Fire Blast.

Some calcs

Superpower against max HP/max Def Blissey- 88-103% 2HKO (1 w/ SR up)
Thunderbolt to Bulky Gyara- 125-148% OHKO
Ice Beam to Gliscor (no Sp Def/252 HP)- 172-203% OHKO
Draco Meteor to Zapdos (252 HP)- 75-89% 2HKO (1 w/ SR up)
Draco Meteor to Celebi (252 HP)- 66- 77% Virtual 2HKO (assured w/ SR up)
Fire Blast to same Celebi- 72-84% 2HKO
Draco Meteor to Cresselia- 50-60% 3HKO (2HKO w/ SR up)
Thunderbolt to Vaporeon (188 HP)- 50-60% (2HKO w/ SR up)
Thunder to same Vaporeon- 64-75% 2HKO
Ice Beam to Hippowdon (252 HP)- 75-89% 2HKO
Draco Meteor to same Hippowdon-83-98% 2HKO (possible OHKO w/ SR up)
Fire Blast/Tbolt to Skarm- no need to calculate OHKO
Thunder to 252 HP Cune- 60%-72% 2HKO

Flamethrower is definately an option. IIRC, Fire Blast isn't KOing anything that Flamethrower won't. Thunderbolt is also a good option if you saw the last Mixnite thread. Thunderbolt + Draco Meteor is guarenteed to take out all the bulky waters.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
I see. I always used Roost or Thunderbolt in the last slot. Thought it learned it though. Fixing.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nope, only Salamence. I wonder how Agility would work on this, with Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor for more sweeping ability?

Caelum

qibz official stalker
Agility would function a bit differently that it would warrant its own set. I could look into modifying the current Agility set but I think the Agility set stands good as is.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I guess I should have checked to see if there actually was an Agility set before suggesting one.

Actually, an Agility Mixed set can work very well also, since that one is just agility physical. Something like this with a similar EV spread I used to run:

[SET]
name: Agility Mix
move 1: Agility
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Outrage
move 4: Thunderbolt / Fire Blast / Earthquake
item: Life Orb
nature: Lonely
evs: 60 Atk / 228 Spe / 220 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This set utilizes Dragonite's enormous movepool and again separates him from the other OU dragons. Dragon Dancing pokemon still have the problem with behing revenge killed by faster Scarfers and Deoxys-E. With Agility and a heavy EV investment, Dragonite reaches 506 Speed putting it past Deoxys-E and the vast majority of Scarfers.</p>

<p> This set works well in two different ways. In the beginning of the match it can funcion as a generic wall breaker; Draco Meteor punishes most physical walls, and is guarenteed to OHKO Gliscor after Stealth Rock. Thunderbolt OHKOs Skarmory and the combination of Thunderbolt + Draco Meteor will put you past most bulky waters. This should open you up to sweep later in the match. If you can get your agility off, you can unleash a Life Orbed Draco Meteor on your first victim and proceed to sweep with Outrage. Fire Blast and Earthquake are reliable alternatives to Thunderbolt, as they will help you get past steels that resist your dragon assaults.</p>

I tested this for a while way back... it was pretty effective being able to open a whole for itself later. I think the biggest perk was it could beat things like Gliscor, Hippowdon, Bulky Waters and Skarmory early in the match then total a team later.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
Looks good Raikoulover, this topic can become a general Mixed Dragonite Mixed Agility / Mixnite topic. Although, could you explain why you distributed the Attack EVs and Special Attack EVs the way you did. Other then that, besides possible grammar issues which I normally miss ><, it looks good. Also, can you throw in a line about how if you opt for Thunderbolt (and it appears to be the recommended option from your writing) that you should probably support this with Magnezone (seriously, why don't the majority of Skarmory run Shed Shell yet, only 21.8% did last month?).

<p>In the beginning of the match it can function as a generic wall breaker; Draco Meteor punishes most physical walls, and is guaranteed to OHKO Gliscor after Stealth Rock.
Just a couple spelling errors I noticed.

Edit: also, "with being revenge killed" in your second sentence

I thought I explained that in the text. The EVs give you 253 speed, and the special attack is enough to OHKO 252 HP Gliscor after Stealth Rock with Draco Meteor, which coincidently was enough to KO Skarmory with Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock on average. Lonely nature and 60 attack EVs bolster its physical attack, since Dragonite will gain the most stat points from +attack nature.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
I just wondered if the attack EVs were for anything, that's what I meant. It's fine how it is though.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I actually wrote up the edit for that set (minus Agility) a couple weeks ago. It's quite effective with Thunderbolt, Superpower, Draco Meteor, and Fire Blast, and OHKO's Heatran on the switch in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)