Dragonfly's and Jellyfish in the Sand

Introduction: I decided to make I team because... well I was bored. So I tested a bit, swapped up some team members, and this was my outcome. I hope you leave comments to support the team, and help me make it better. Also post any grammar mistakes, I'm huge grammar freak. So anyways, I hope you enjoy the team!
The Team:

The Lead/Weather Starter/Stealth Rocker:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

So since this is a sand team and I like defensive leads so I can set up Stealth Rocks, I decided to use Hippowdon as my lead. Hippowdon is a great Pokemon, it can take hits, set up Stealth Rocks and even heal up. I decided to use a mixed wall set so it can take both special, and physical hits. Hippowdon is a careful nature so it can take special attacks more stably, and it also sums up to its defensive side. I chose Whirlwind over Ice Fang because Set up sweepers see this as an opportunity to set up on Hippowdon while he can't touch them, but Whirlwind blows them away, and makes another Pokemon take Stealth Rock damage.

The Physical Wall/Spiker:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 48 Def / 208 SDef / 252 HP
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Ferrothorn helps this team a lot by taking grass, and water hits; two types that hurt this team a lot. Ferrothorn also gets the job done by setting up spikes, another hazard that helps this team out a bit. Also, Tentacruel and Ferrothorn help each other with typing, Ferrothorn takes electric and psychic hits, Tentacruel takes fire and fighting hits. I use Spikes over Stealth rocks because... well I already have a Stealth Rocker, Power Whip over Protect so it can hit with a powerful STAB and hurt the opposing Pokemon by a ton, depending on the other Pokemon of course. Finally, Thunder Wave over Gyro Ball so Ferrothorn can get the job done while the other Pokemon is paralyzed.

The Special Wall/Spinner:

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Spd / 244 Def
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

Tentacruel is on this team for mainly three reasons, to take special based attacks, help out Ferrothorn, and spin off hazards (Stealth Rocks) for mainly Yanmega. Tentacruel has the Liquid Ooze ability, because this isn't a rain team, and there are a lot of Ferrothorns that like to Leech Seed. Also, Toxic Spikes help by completing my hazard core, so anything switching in is gonna take a whole ton of damage, and get poisoned, also limiting my opponents switches.

The Physical Sweeper:

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

Terrakion is a really good Pokemon in general, huge threat to most in the OU meta game. Terrakion makes my physical sweeper by being fast, and powerful with STAB Close Combat and Stone edge, as well as X-Scissor for psychic types. Quick attack for priority, well for revenge killing mostly that is. Choice Band on Terrakion because there's really no reason for a scarf because I do have Yanmega with speed boost, and choice scarf Tyranitar.

The Special Sweeper:

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Yanmega is the Breloom counter of the team, Breloom is a huge threat to this team, with Mach Punch and Bullet Seed combo. Yanmega EASILY counters Breloom by resisting both of its main STABs and one hitting with an Air Slash. Speed Boost Yanmega is an underrated threat by being put in UU. I personally think it should be in OU because of its ability to out speed most Pokemon, and have a move that counters them.Air Slash and Bug Buzz are its main STABs, taking out most Pokemon in its path such as Breloom, Espeon, Alakasam, and Volcarona, 4 common threats in OU. Hidden Power [Ground] is mainly here for Heatran and Magnezone, two pokemon that resist both of its STABs. Yanmega also takes ground, fighting, and grass hits, three types that are big threats to this team.

The Revenge Killer/Weather Starter/Trapper:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Tyranitar is a revenge killer to add a filler as well as start weather in case Hippowdon is down. It also has the ability to trap Pokemon such as Latios/Latias, Alakasam, Jellicent, Gengar, and Espeon. Tyranitar can also hit hard with STAB Crunch and Stone Edge crippling the opposing Pokemon or just taking a big chunk of health out of them. Tyranitar is also very bulky allowing him to take hits well and then hit something hard.

So that is the team, hope you guys leave suggestions and comments to help support the team and make the team better, hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:
Hi KyuremG,

It looks like you have a pretty good balanced team here.

On Terrakion, I would recommend Quick Attack over Secret Sword as two main Pokemon that have Intimidate in the OU meta are Lando-T and Gyarados. Both resist Secret Sword so running Secret Sword to bypass the attack drop isn't very useful. Instead, running Quick Attack gives a useful priority move that you can use against weakened Pokemon like Latios/Latias, and on Keldeo if you don't want to risk the speed tie.

Although I can't find any obvious huge threats to your team, I think that an opposing Choice Band Terrakion could be somewhat problematic. Terrakion can easily switch into Tyranitar that is locked into Stone Edge/Pursuit/Crunch and spam Close Combat. Since your Hippodown is a specially defensive variant, Close Combat will 2HKO which means that it cannot switch in. In addition, Tentacruel is 2HKO'd about 84% of the time after Stealth Rocks and Sandstorm damage. Although Yanmega won't be taking too much damage from CC, Stone Edge will KO it and you really don't want to switch it in too often as it is your main win condition and will be worn down easily by Sandstorm and Life Orb damage. To help remedy this problem, I think you can try running a Landorus-T instead of Hippdown. Landorus-T has Intimidate, which allows it to avoid a 2HKO from any a Standard Terrakion's attacks, and can hit hard back with Earthquake like Hippodown. In addition, it can set-up Stealth Rocks and check Dragonite and Salamence with a Stone Edge coming off its base 145 attack. Although it can't phase and doesn't have access to recovery, it can use U-turn to break Substitutes and gain momentum for your team.

Hope this helps!

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Yeah but losing hippowdon will make me not be able to set up stealth rock and i lose one of my walls, so i think i'll make him the defensive variant, but thanks ^_^

I agree, physical hippowdon is the far superior option. Also Quick Attack over Sacred Sword on Terrakion for additional revenge killing. That way, your fourth moveslot won't be a complete waste.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)