SV OU Dragmag (Baxcalibur, Tinkaton, ft. other dragons)

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
TINKATON DRAGMAG

951.png
985.png
887.png
1002.png

INTRODUCTION

When gen 9 leaks came out, I saw Tinkaton's design and thought it was the coolest shit ever. Unfortunately, it does seem to suck overall, but I managed to make a team that uses it to its strengths. Dragmag is usually seen as a very unreliable option due to the advent of the fairy type in gen 6, but because of the gen 9 dex cut, we lost a lot of fairy options; most notably, Clef and the Tapus. The 2 most common fairies I've seen on ladder are Grimmsnarl and Iron Valiant, which I kept in mind when building. I had some success using this team on a few roomtours since I haven't been laddering a lot lately (getting used to the meta lol). I had this team chilling in my builder for a while, since I knew Flutter Mane was gonna be banned soon, so I'm happy to finally share it.

POKEPASTE

https://pokepast.es/e906d081791ad3a9 shoutouts to the 1 guy on ladder who understood the nicknames <3

THE TEAM

Taion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Tera Blast

Dragmag needs mag. At first I tried Tera Water and realised that the team gets 6-0d by Kingambit without Tera Fighting. Against Iron Treads, I usually lead Zone since they try to lead Iron Treads. Using your Tera on zone instead of your big guys does suck, but it is worth it to remove steels. This is also your only special attacker, allowing you to break through physdef mons like Skeledirge (if it chooses to Tera Fairy). Remember to KEEP YOUR TERA vs. Kingambit, since otherwise you get 6-0d. Timid over modest to outspeed max speed adamant Scizor.

951.png

Lanz (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Glaive Rush
- Icicle Crash
- Substitute / Ice Shard

I've experimented with Baxcalibur a fair amount and have been largely unimpressed. However, I think with Corv removal in the form of Magnezone, this mon can be very valuable. Glaive Rush is impossible to switch into, pretty much, with the steel type gone. Boots is chosen because the team doesn't have hazard removal, and you'll need this mon to act as a defensive pillar vs. fire types and will-o-wisps (its ability makes it immune to burn). Substitute is my preferred option for 2 reasons. Firstly, you can sometimes get cheeky substitutes off if they try to sack a mon against this. More importantly, sub allows you to beat Chien-Pao more reliably, since you substitute on their sucker punch. The team as a whole has many ways to deal with Chien-Pao, so it looks like a bad MU but in reality Chien-Pao is very managable. Tera Dragon allows it to not be weak to fighting, resist fire, and also beat pex easily. For example, you can lead this guy against Great Tusk lead and tera to tank the CC, and ohko back with crash.

985.png

Noah @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dragon / Fire
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Crunch
- Iron Head / Roost

I still do not know how much booster energy boosts your mon by (can someone tell me in the comments?). Anyways, Roaring Moon was a mon I wasn't sold on when I saw its leaked stats. I still think it's very reliant on Tera (specifically, flying) but with Corv gone, you can use this mon as a tradebot at worst, or a wincon at best. Basically, at +1, you kill everything with outrage, and even without +1, Roaring Moon is naturally fast and strong. This is one of your ways to beat Skeledirge, so I chose Iron Head to beat Fairy Skeledirge or at least chip it for your teammates. Tera Fire is an option to prevent burn and resist fairy moves / ice shard, but I've yet to experiment with that. Finally, its dark typing allows it to be a temporary stop to scarf ghosts (Gholdengo) and specs ghosts (Pult).

887.png

Eunie (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Dark
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Sucker Punch
- Quick Attack ????
- U-turn

At first, I tried specs Pult which served well, but then I realised that it would allow Clodsire to enter freely to set up goober hazards, so I changed it to CB. UNFORTUNATELY, as a result of this change, the team is legit 6-0d by BU Annihilape. Just bluff specs or pray you don't face that mon. Anyways, pult is important for a few reasons. 1. Speed control. 2. Immediate power. 3. Spinblocking. I also considered scarf Chomp (as you may notice the team lacks an electric immunity) but there aren't any broken electrics yet in gen 9 to require a ground. Sucker punch allows you to beat setup sweepers, and Tera Dark seems like a very mid option until you realise that it resists ghost whilst also resisting Chien-Pao's sucker punch. What this means is that you stay in on their Chien-Pao, tera dark and bring it to Dnite's espeed range. Moreover, this allows you to take another hit from scarf Gholdengo and fire back with a stronger sucker. Infiltrator over clear body is VERY IMPORTANT to beat brainless shed tail HO.

Mio (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage / Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Roost / Earthquake

Dragonite is insanely good, in my opinion. It acts as a Palafin semi-check, and more importantly, has an insanely strong STAB espeed after Tera. This is 99% of the time your Tera user in the game unless you tera zone. Dnite is usually the last sweeper I go for, once generally fat mons are chipped and it can sweep. Dnite is free win vs HO, by the way. Jolly over adamant to outspeed Pult, but I find adamant's power more useful.

1002.png

Sena (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Ghost / Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gigaton Hammer
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

Tinkaton, the star of the show. Such a cool mon that was done dirty by game freak. Anyways, it isn't as bad as some make it out to be. In truth, a steel/fairy type with decent stats can probably always put in work. I used to run max SpD for Flutter Mane, but now I run max physdef for Chien-Pao. Tera type pretty much doesn't matter for this, since you wanna save it for your strong guys. Ghost spinblocks and flying kinda? deals with Great Tusk. Tinkaton on its own seems underwhelming, but this team needs it for insane role compression. Rocks, knock, and a Chien-Pao check in 1 is crazy. You always knock their corv when they come in, since they are 100% U-turning on the predicted zone switch. Mold breaker even allows you to beat Hatterene builds (which is showcased in one of the replays below). Vs. iron bundle lead, you always lead this mon and try to twave it.

BAD MUS

show.png
Unfortunately, the team struggles to switch into Great Tusk. However, you have to remember that Great Tusk has no recovery, so will never 6-0 on its own. Play very offensively vs it.

show-1.png
This beast 6-0s the team. Simply bluff specs Pult to beat it.

Choose your starter! The Paldeain tro!  : r/PokemonScarletViolet
Couldn't find Skeledirge's model, but it can be a pain in the ass since you're constantly playing the 50/50 on if it's Tera fairy or not. I usually use Roaring Moon to lure out the Tera, and use Baxcalibur as a temporary switch-in and to block wisp. Manageable if you outplay them.

"BAD" MUS

show-2.png
Gholdengo seems tough at first, and does require careful play. First of all, the hazards that its teammates lay are not threatening to the team since most carry boots or are immune to tspike. Second, aside from Roaring Moon who can OHKO, you will usually just trade with this with your powerful outrages as most Gholdengo are not recover, and even recover Gholdengo cannot afford to recover vs a very strong team and will usually just accept the trade. Make sure Gholdengo is gone before setting up with Dnite. (Or use EQ)

show-3.png
Chien-Pao seems bad on paper, but there are so many ways to deal with it. Tinkaton is a good check, and you should trade Tink for Chien-Pao if they decide to SD. However, even without Tink, all your guys have ways to lure and kill Weavile's dad. Baxcalibur has sub to beat sucker punch, Dragapult has Tera dark to resist sucker and bring it into LO/espeed range, and Dnite actually welcomes Chien-Pao as setup opportunity as you Tera normal and setup on its face.

993.png
Iron Valiant is tough and usually results in a trade, but is usually manageable. Again, Tink should happily trade with this to beat it, but you can also revenge kill with your other guys. Pult outspeeds and kills if it's low HP and weakened (with quick attack lol), and/or used CC. Dnite also uses this mon as setup fodder and should Tera on their fairy move and DD. Make sure to lead Tink vs Iron Valiant in case they lead it.

REPLAYS

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1717081243
vs BO/Offense

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1717097936
vs BO

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1717122782
6-0 vs stall in some random roomtour finals

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1717239919
vs balance-ish build

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1717257497
6-0 vs HO

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1717299686
Baxcalibur goes crazy

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1717326360
vs Glimmora + Gholdengo. Dragons fear no hazards

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1717337087
another roomtour finals vs HO​

I think you really show tinkatons strengths as a glue mon. Great defensive typing, especially against the meta and a fake support line pool. Being used like this on offence will probably happen quite a bit!

Very cool team! It's funny, I was just thinking about the viability of DragMag today. One thing that stood out to me is using Terra Blast Ghost on Pult to solve the Annihilape issue along with giving it powerful Ghost STAB.

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
Very cool team! It's funny, I was just thinking about the viability of DragMag today. One thing that stood out to me is using Terra Blast Ghost on Pult to solve the Annihilape issue along with giving it powerful Ghost STAB.
I was experimenting more with the team, such as changing tera types and trying out specs pult (tera fairy) which "solves" the issue of annihilape as well as allows you to OHKO great tusk. however, i think the version I have rn is best since after further consideration, annihilape MU isnt that bad. It does involve sack/trading but if you para the annihilape with tink zone should be able to revenge. I think tera type on pult is ultimately personal preference, I prefer dark which has come in handy to lure Chien-Pao. Glad you enjoyed the team :]

tinkaton is one of my favorite mons. I'm glad a viable team was able to showcase some of its support versatility sets destroy stall and BO. good team

Is it really ok to use four dragons? Fairy pokémon can be scary, and a fairy tera type can catch you by surprise. The team looks cool though. I would recommend to remove at least one dragon for a spot with coverage.

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
Is it really ok to use four dragons? Fairy pokémon can be scary, and a fairy tera type can catch you by surprise. The team looks cool though. I would recommend to remove at least one dragon for a spot with coverage.
right now the only fairies that are prevalent in OU are valiant, grimm, hatt and the rare scream tail, everything else (clef n tapus) aren't in the game. Valiant is frail, grimm has no recovery, tink ignores hatt's magic bounce, and scream tail is very passive. Fairy tera can be annoying, but mons that tera fairy (skeledirge and garganacl to name a few) do not run fairy coverage, so aren't that bad to deal with

This has been my favorite team to ladder with so far. Lack of hazard removal and the popularity of Ape is getting to be an issue sometimes. Have you made any changes recently? Really enjoy tinkaton, especially love smashing Iron Valiants. Thanks for sharing this team.

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
This has been my favorite team to ladder with so far. Lack of hazard removal and the popularity of Ape is getting to be an issue sometimes. Have you made any changes recently? Really enjoy tinkaton, especially love smashing Iron Valiants. Thanks for sharing this team.
glad you enjoyed using the team! i been trying out specs pult w tera fairy which handles ape decently if you wanted to try that set

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
Pretty sick team. I feel like muscling in a special attacker/reworking a mon for special attacking would get rid of great tusk, since it's so specially defensively frail. I'm only saying this cuz Tusk is actually the most used mon in OU right now, so it can be a problem if one of your team's worst threats is one of the most common mons.
yee specs pult with tera fairy is a funny tech i use sometimes in place of CB, still not sure which version i prefer more (specs or CB)

right now the only fairies that are prevalent in OU are valiant, grimm, hatt and the rare scream tail, everything else (clef n tapus) aren't in the game. Valiant is frail, grimm has no recovery, tink ignores hatt's magic bounce, and scream tail is very passive. Fairy tera can be annoying, but mons that tera fairy (skeledirge and garganacl to name a few) do not run fairy coverage, so aren't that bad to deal with
You've forgot the fairy Pokémon that you've got in you're own team, it's a scary one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)