Pokémon Dragapult

This mon is king. Just drop choice specs dracos on everything. Especially good against the unaware walls like dondozo. As long as you have good mons to support it during the inevitable switch outs against scarf chi-yu (i use ttar) or a sucker puncher, you will be eating all the offensive teams.

Outside of may be Chi-Yu, Dragapult is one of the most difficult pokemon to switch into. It is super versatile, has a ton of viable sets and outspeeds pretty much everything. It can spread status or hit pretty hard from the get go. It is excellent against the more offensive teams because of infiltrator. Overall a very well rounded pokemon and one of the top threats out there.

I haven't had much success w/ any of the Choiced sets like CB or Specs (though they have been effective against me), but Sub DD is really really good, esp under screens. This Pokemon can setup all over a lot of Pokemon like Garganacl since it can't break its sub w/ Salt Cure (under screens Salt Cure 4HKOes the sub) and then go to town from there. Tera Blast is really good STAB, but I've also been surprised by how solid Dragon Darts is now. With all the Bulky Fairy-Types like Clefable and Tapu Fini gone, Dragon Darts has far fewer immunities now compared to before, barring some Tera Fairy Pokemon, so you don't even need to terastalize Dragapult in some MUs and just spam Dragon Darts to get the KO you need. In MUs where you do need to Tera Dragapult, Tera Ghost will get the job done just fine, as Hatterene is weak to the move and most Iron Valiant don't invest into bulk, so they just get dropped. at +1 and a wee bit of chip damage. Grimmsnarl is an annoying MU, but Dragapult's partners like Chi-Yu and Gholdengo can take advantage of Grimmsnarl to setup & deal big damage.

I haven't had much success w/ any of the Choiced sets like CB or Specs (though they have been effective against me), but Sub DD is really really good, esp under screens. This Pokemon can setup all over a lot of Pokemon like Garganacl since it can't break its sub w/ Salt Cure (under screens Salt Cure 4HKOes the sub) and then go to town from there. Tera Blast is really good STAB, but I've also been surprised by how solid Dragon Darts is now. With all the Bulky Fairy-Types like Clefable and Tapu Fini gone, Dragon Darts has far fewer immunities now compared to before, barring some Tera Fairy Pokemon, so you don't even need to terastalize Dragapult in some MUs and just spam Dragon Darts to get the KO you need. In MUs where you do need to Tera Dragapult, Tera Ghost will get the job done just fine, as Hatterene is weak to the move and most Iron Valiant don't invest into bulk, so they just get dropped. at +1 and a wee bit of chip damage. Grimmsnarl is an annoying MU, but Dragapult's partners like Chi-Yu and Gholdengo can take advantage of Grimmsnarl to setup & deal big damage.
Dragapult's choiced sets have gotten a boost now. With Cyclizar being banned there are now no normal types in OU and can spam Shadow Ball/Tera Blast a bit easier now. On the other hand I have found it to be a bit more challenging to set up due to screens being less viable and seeing more TIng-Lu around

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Can someone explain the significance of Hasty / 76 Att / 180 SpA on the utility set? It isn't obvious to me.

FYI Naive / 52 Att / 8 Def / 196 SpA is enough to guarantee the Dragon Darts OHKO on 0/0 Moon while always surviving Jolly Tusk's Knock Off.

Can someone explain the significance of Hasty / 76 Att / 180 SpA on the utility set? It isn't obvious to me.

FYI Naive / 52 Att / 8 Def / 196 SpA is enough to guarantee the Dragon Darts OHKO on 0/0 Moon while always surviving Jolly Tusk's Knock Off.
The margins on this calc are so slim that maybe the 76 Attack EVs are for that Quaquaval post-burn or post-Knock Off:

76 Atk Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Quaquaval: 164-194 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- approx. 91% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I know its not a huge deviation but this set has worked great for me with all the Corviknight Dondozo and Toxapex flying around.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn / Flamethrower / Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Electric Dragapult Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Corviknight: 416-492 (104.2 - 123.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Electric Dragapult Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 344-408 (68.2 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Electric Dragapult Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 258-306 (84.8 - 100.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Electric Dragapult Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Garganacl: 284-336 (70.2 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Really just a lure set but if you don't need Flamethrower on Specs and you want to catch the bulky mons thinking they can stall out Draco or rotate around Shadow Ball, you can blow them up. Electric also means you only have a Ground weakness which means you may have enough bulk to stomach a hit you might not have been able to before.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
The margins on this calc are so slim that maybe the 76 Attack EVs are for that Quaquaval post-burn or post-Knock Off:

76 Atk Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Quaquaval: 164-194 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- approx. 91% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
So nobody knows.

Naive / 52 Att / 8 Def /196 SpA / 252 Spe always OHKOs 4/0 Moon and only misses out on min roll vs 0/4. However, neutral defence with 8 EVs guarantees survival vs Jolly Tusk's Knock and Cinderace's Sucker, while offering 12.5% survival vs Jolly Chien's CB Ice Shard, which is worth something in an otherwise 100% lost endgame.

52 Atk Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Roaring Moon: 352-420 (100 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
52 Atk Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Roaring Moon: 348-412 (99.1 - 117.3%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 8 Def Dragapult: 268-316 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Libero Cinderace Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 8 Def Dragapult: 266-314 (83.9 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 8 Def Dragapult: 312-368 (98.4 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

I'm not sure why Hasty is the recommended nature in any case, especially because it makes Sucker Punch a possible OHKO roll from both Meow and Ace for peak mind games. Burn should be considered complementary to neutral defence, not compensation for lowered defence (i.e. Naive still makes sense to reduce damage from burned Dondozo etc. on the Will-O-Wisp turn). That difference in damage really matters without recovery.

0 Atk burned Dondozo Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Dragapult: 32-38 (10 - 11.9%) -- possible 9HKO
0 Atk burned Dondozo Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 8 Def Dragapult: 28-34 (8.8 - 10.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Note that 196 SpA Tera Ghost Hex always OHKOs 0/4 Tusk (372 min damage, which is satisfyingly efficient) after switching into Toxic Spikes.

196 SpA Tera Ghost Dragapult Hex (130 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 372-438 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)