Resource DPP Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Assist Ban is one that I don't agree with at all, but there are differences here:
1. Lucario requires to use Hazards + a Ghost himself in the team to work. Assist required Ditto and opponent to use Hazards.
2. Most important thing, Lucario requires the opponent to use Roar or WW and Lucario to appear. All teams use Hazards, but not a high percentage ( I would say like 30% at most) use Roar or Whirlwind. Not only they have to have the move, they also have to click it on the specific battle Lucario is in, after Lucario's team has put enough Hazards and Lucario specifically has to be dragged in to work. Very unlikely scenario.
3. Assist was much more difficult to stop once the cycle started. Lucario can be stopped by:
A. Faster scarfer.
B. Priority.
C. Protect/Endure.
D. The rare but viable Cradily. I won't count Soundproof, Magic Coat and Octillery, but they also work.
E. Hail. Lucario is damaged by it, so he will die in 16 turns at most. Probably earlier, since Abomasnow and Walrein run Protect often.

Hopefully this helps.
the idea behind banning assist was that it is anti-competitive for the winner of the match to be decided before the match even begins,the same idea can apply here

Last edited:
the idea behind banning assist was that it is anti-competitive for the winner of the match to be decided before the match even begins,the same idea can apply here
copycat doesn't decide games before the match begins though. unlike assist, it requires a lot of different conditions to occur to start a roar chain, and even then it has a decent amount of counterplay in protect/priority/faster scarfers. it's not really comparable to bw assist at all, as those teams dedicate themselves entirely to cheesing opponents while copycat lucario fits on conventional teams. it's limited by pp as well, which you can easily run out of while phazing an opposing team and not do enough damage to decide a game. copycat lucario is a healthy metagame adaptation to the ubiquitous nature of entry hazards, difficulty in controlling them, and defensive spikes teams being a dominant force in the meta, so we do not see any reason to ban it.

one thing that I can not understand is why mamoswine is banned from running snowcloack but froshlash is not.

just give to froshlash bright powder and it has 37,5% evasiveness during hail storm.

also does anyone know why swagger is banned in gen 4?I know that in future generations it is banned because of the move foul play but this move does not exist in this generation.
are people afraid of transform smeargle that much?

one thing that I can not understand is why mamoswine is banned from running snowcloack but froshlash is not.

just give to froshlash bright powder and it has 37,5% evasiveness during hail storm.

also does anyone know why swagger is banned in gen 4?I know that in future generations it is banned because of the move foul play but this move does not exist in this generation.
are people afraid of transform smeargle that much?
snow cloak is only banned on pkmn that have > 1 ability. If you want to try to cheese with froslass and bright powder, good luck to you, but i doubt that would be a successful strategy. you could find a thread on it in policy review forum

swagger ban: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dpp-ou-swagger.3696811/

i strongly encourage that you join the dpp discord as your questions are easily answerable if you do a bit of digging on dpp policy review threads and you could get much quicker answers without flooding this thread. please slow down with posting several times with multiple different questions that are not hard to find the answers to.

Is offense viable or is it on its last legs/completely collapsed? I want to get back into DPP but the amount of hard balance/semi-stall is actually depressing. I guess if offense isn't dead what's the best route to building it in this current climate?

Is offense viable or is it on its last legs/completely collapsed? I want to get back into DPP but the amount of hard balance/semi-stall is actually depressing. I guess if offense isn't dead what's the best route to building it in this current climate?
on ladder there are kids that just load up their favorite Ttar/hippo, clef, lati stall and go to town, that’s just the flavor of the season, but is becoming predictable and easier to take advantage of. Before that it was Roserade balance everywhere.

Still, offense is not dead. Yes you do have to think a little bit outside the box when building as defensive teams are going to have more than 1 counter to the top offensive blokes.

So deviate a bit from the standard offensive sets now and again. Doesn’t mean use a whole team of UUs, but don’t build a predictable offense team. Cliche and simplified answer that you probably already know, but still true.

offense is viable in DPP, albeit limited compared to other gens after gen 3.

Just start playing and you’ll figure out p quickly what works and what doesn’t.

Look at the underrated sets thread and the recent SPL discussion thread which has a lot of usable offensive sets that are not standard yet and catch stall off guard.

where can I find the original suspect thread on DPP Garchomp?
I couldn't find the exact thread (probably because that predated how suspect threads are organized now?) so here's a link to the search results I found from the Gen 4 Comp discussion forum: https://www.smogon.com/forums/searc...odes]=1&c[nodes][0]=43&c[title_only]=1&o=date. There's a lot of duplicate/clutter threads discussing Garchomp but I found this one by Caelum (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/garchomp-and-this-metagame.42456/) to offer a few perspectives of varying relevance. In that search is also the voting discussion thread itself pre-Platinum (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/garchomp-voting.45620/).

Also this topic with some discussion: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/garchomp-the-most-broken-pokemon-in-ou.36558/

why isn't jirachi either fully banned or at least banned from running certain moves?

this pokemon's stats great defensive typing expansive movepool with great coverage make it extreemely unpredictable and hard to fight.(not to mention the broken ability).
the closest thing this pokemon has to a hard counter is a choice banded rhyperior with maximum ATK and a beneficial nature.(an earthquake from this set is a guaranteed OHKO against a 252 def 252hp jirachi with benefitial nature).
but rhyperior is a pretty flawed pokemon.

if mew can be banned for being too unpredictable why can't jirachi be banned as well for the same reason?

(I would go ask this question in OU hub,but the dpp forums don't have such thing,so this is the only place I can go to,also note that I have been banned from the server meaning that I can't ask that question there either.).

I am aware about that post that has a 63% of "not ban" voting,https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/is-jirachi-to-ubers-an-extreme-opinion.3646090/ so if it is not fully banned can it at least have some of its moves restricted?
like a ban on substitute just for jirachi or at the very least a ban on serene grace+iron head?

why isn't jirachi either fully banned or at least banned from running certain moves?

this pokemon's stats great defensive typing expansive movepool with great coverage make it extreemely unpredictable and hard to fight.(not to mention the broken ability).
the closest thing this pokemon has to a hard counter is a choice banded rhyperior with maximum ATK and a beneficial nature.(an earthquake from this set is a guaranteed OHKO against a 252 def 252hp jirachi with benefitial nature).
but rhyperior is a pretty flawed pokemon.

if mew can be banned for being too unpredictable why can't jirachi be banned as well for the same reason?

(I would go ask this question in OU hub,but the dpp forums don't have such thing,so this is the only place I can go to,also note that I have been banned from the server meaning that I can't ask that question there either.).

I am aware about that post that has a 63% of "not ban" voting,https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/is-jirachi-to-ubers-an-extreme-opinion.3646090/ so if it is not fully banned can it at least have some of its moves restricted?
like a ban on substitute just for jirachi or at the very least a ban on serene grace+iron head?
Jirachi is the best pkmn in the tier, but according to the recent DPP Survey, 80% of those involved closely with the most recent SPL do not want tiering action to take place, even if they do not view Jirachi as "balanced". In addition, the DPP council currently does not want to act on suspecting Jirachi.

We do not have the ability to have any complex ban on Jirachi due to smogon's tiering policy. The DPP council tried to see if we could start a conversation on potentially complex banning Jirachi + Iron Head, but it got vetoed by tiering administration & old gen council leadership. It's just not going to ever happen, and we've exhausted any possibility through prolonged discussion with leadership, so we'd strongly prefer to not get into any tiering policy debates/discussion in this thread.

there is not such thing as "the best team" on any generation.
I guess the best team of each generation are banned because use annoying moves as Spore or Baton Pass.
But, what I want to say with the best team is, the team who won some championship here in Smogon.
You can check the samples team thread for good proven teams that will help you get familiar with the tier.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dpp-ou-sample-teams.3687351/
Thanks for the link, I will try to use these teams.

Why in gen 4 the little cup don't have pokemons at lv 1?
before I understand be lv 5 because the eggs hatches at lv 5, but now they hatch at lv 1. Little cup should be at lv1!

Why in gen 4 the little cup don't have pokemons at lv 1?
before I understand be lv 5 because the eggs hatches at lv 5, but now they hatch at lv 1. Little cup should be at lv1!
Because Little Cup is a format created originally by Pokemon Company in some side game like Pokemon Stadium. I think it's also present in Pokemon Battle Revolution (a Gen 4 game) and in every game in which is present, it's played at level 5.

Not a question related to gen 4 OU, but rather the gen 4 games themselves.

I have a copy of Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver, and only have one DS. Therefore, I was using the GTS to trade Pokemon from HeartGold to SoulSilver, but the GTS won't let me seek Pokemon that aren't seen in my Pokedex (such as Sableye and Kyogre). Is there any workaround that I can use to get my version exclusives and starters to SoulSilver?

I'm coming back to competitive since the Shoddy Battle era and surprised to see Copycat Lucario being used to chain Roar, which I distinctly recall being impossible. Has there been a policy change on which game's mechanics the Gen 4 meta is supposed to mimic? If it's still HGSS, I just double checked and at least on the MelonDS emulator it does not work, Copycat cannot call a Copycat-called move, so Lucario can only Roar once. I did not check DP but the same should be true according to this post: https://scms-u-geranium_wise_lasagn...esearch-thread-2-new.24516/page-5#post-496254

Am I missing something, are mechanics no longer based on HGSS, or is this a Showdown bug I should report?

Le Don

La Déchéance d'un homme
is a Community Contributor
RoAPL Champion
whats been the latest ban/tier change for dpp ou as of now?
If I'm not mistaken :
If you're talking about a pokemon, it's Dugtrio ( Arena Trap ) More infos here : https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dpp-arena-trap-dugtrio-arena-trap-is-banned.3671517/
If you're talking about a move / mechanic, it's Swagger because Swagger + Paralysis ( + Iron Head ) is stupid ( smone won a spl game with it ). Jirachi was not the only user, we had Zapdos, Flygon and also Mamoswine lol. More infos here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dpp-ou-swagger.3696811/

I'm coming back to competitive since the Shoddy Battle era and surprised to see Copycat Lucario being used to chain Roar, which I distinctly recall being impossible. Has there been a policy change on which game's mechanics the Gen 4 meta is supposed to mimic? If it's still HGSS, I just double checked and at least on the MelonDS emulator it does not work, Copycat cannot call a Copycat-called move, so Lucario can only Roar once. I did not check DP but the same should be true according to this post: https://scms-u-geranium_wise_lasagn...esearch-thread-2-new.24516/page-5#post-496254

Am I missing something, are mechanics no longer based on HGSS, or is this a Showdown bug I should report?
Uh, copycat has probably been wrongly implemented. Some people did tests today and it didn't work for any move you "copycat", you can't " chain " Roar, Whirlwind, Roost etc. Example here :

If it's confirmed, devs will surely fix that later because as Emeral said on the dpp discord server, " showdown is a simulator of cartridge we don't make our own rules ".

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)