Announcement DPP OU Secret Santa 2021

Everyone who PMd me a core should have received their core to build around by now. If you didn't, please message me! Locking this for the time being, as the signup deadline has passed.

Merry Christmas everyone! You should have all received your teams at this point. A couple of you did not receive your team yet, but it is on the way! Please PM me if you did not receive yours.

I made it a point to hide the identity of everyone who provided a team. I'm reopening this thread for discussion, so if you want to reveal yourself and talk about the team you made/requested, this is a great place to do so!

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Here is the team I got!

Link
My request: NP Celebi + Scarf Scizor.

This is such a steamroller of a team, perfect for my playstyle. Thank you to whoever made it! You sure know how to put the pressure on...

The reason why I requested NP Celebi and Scarf Scizor is that they're ancient sets I've always loved despite their relative lack of popularity. Celebi is quite fast and has so much coverage it can lay the hurt on anything you want. Scarf Scizor has that fast STAB U-Turn with Technician Pursuit to checkmate fast threats so it fits well on super aggressive teams. I liked the interaction between the two as Celebi can dunk on balance while Scizor takes care of things like Latias that will give Celebi trouble.

I expected my request to be paired with a Magnezone as neither Celebi nor Scizor love to face Skarmory. I'm happy to have been proven wrong as that would have heavily compounded the Fire weakness making it difficult to deal with Heatran and the rare but dangerous Infernape. From what I can see, this team is designed to put the pressure on as early as turn 1 with the DD lead Dragonite. SpDef Boom Heatran to get the rock up and keep the ball rolling. I really like the finishing touch of LO Starmie with Recover to mop up the mess late game, as the Scarf user here obviously has more issues with that.

Merry Christmas everyone :toast:

Le Don

La Déchéance d'un homme
is a Community Contributor
RoAPL Champion
Hell yeah that was a cool event, Excal ty4h.

I was asked to build on SD LO Scizor. A good poke, hits hard, excellent vs Offense and still good vs bulky teams but it's a bit slow and Steel typing is not very good offensively imo ( outspeed by Zapdos which resist to Bpunch and can RK it with Heat Wave ). It's also completely walled by non-scarf Rotom ( Scarf Rotom takes a lot from a +2 Bpunch ). Trapped by Magnezone with HP Fire. Gyara is also a very good check. So you need some support to make it work effectively.

I have only one team with it : Rachi lead, Suicune, Breloom, Latias, Metagross and Scizor. Used by Frisoeva for Classics POs and by other people for many other tours.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-591416

I love that team because the synergy is insane :
Twave + Thunder on Rachi so you can para Heatran / Magnezone / Zapdos and still hit Waters like Gyara with Thunder.
Suicune with CM + Tect allows you to scout Choice Locks and Explosion from Metagross etc
Breloom thx to Spore and Seed Bomb can pressure Zapdos / Rotom / Skarm.
Metagross with Trick + Scarf does the same.
Latias can force TTar and if it is locked it's a free SD for Scizor.

I didn't know if I wanted to build some bulky offense or some hyper offense. So I tried bulky offense first.

As I say LO SD Zor has problems with electrics so I had find mons that can pressure it. Loom is good, Special Pert is good and TTar is good. But i was not convinced. So I tried to build around Rachi + Zor. Rachi is insanely good at luring stuff Gyara ( Thunder ), Heatran + Magnezone ( HP Ground ) ... Twave is also insane cause you allow Scizor to outspeed mons like Heatran, Zapdos etc etc etc.

( NOT FINISHED )

Scizor F DPP Front.pngJirachi, DPP.pngTyranitar Shiny DPP Front.png
https://pokepast.es/958e5ea630c23f88
SubTwave Rachi + CB Tar cause it loves para support and nukes Rotom. Rotom force TTar.

Scizor F DPP Front.pngJirachi, DPP.png
rade mais en face de toi.png

https://pokepast.es/b348340a5c7246e4
Sub + Thunder + HP Ground Rachi feat Tspikes, baits everything that Scizor hates. Rotom is still a pain so I add a Special Pert and a Passho Tar cause Latias is also a pain.

I thought about some Mag + Zor stuff ( Scarf Zone with HP Ground and Twave ). I don't feel it has a good synergy with this Scizor set ( you usually prefer a bulkier Zor with it ) but ig it can work.
4 Atk MixRachi is also good but we will talk about it later.

Due to my lack of teambuilding skills ( even if I had cool ideas ) I didn't succeed to build a BO.

So I decided to go for an HO team and I know that LO SD Zor loves screens. Screens allow Scizor to not get OHKO by Zapdos / Rotom Heat / Jirachi / Magnezone etc etc so it's perfect.

I looked at my options on Scizor : you usually run Bpunch + Bug Bite + Superpower. You can run Night Slash > Bug Bite : destroys Bold Rotom but if you're facing a fast Rotom with WoW you're toast. So I decided to go for Quick Attack for Infernape, Starmie, rare low health Kingdra, neutral coverage on Zapdos, Gyara...

Since I'm not OHKO anymore I'm still walled by mons above... So again I need LURES.

The first thing that comes to my mind was "Gyarados + Stone Edge + Wacan Berry = Zapdos dead". Stone Edge covers Zapdos + Gyara, a thing that Ice Fang doesn't do. Wacan Berry to not get OHKO by defensive Zapdos, Rotom, Scarf Lati and rdm elec coverage ( like Tbolt on Rachi ).

The second thing was " what is my gameplan if don't get rid of Rotom etc ? ". So I add a Crunch JOLLY Lucario. God knows that I HATE Jolly Luc but you outspeed max speed Rotom so that's fine.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Fan: 276-326 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO ( OHKO with rocks )

The third thing was " ok screens time and I need rocks ". And now everyone has to say hello to ... Azelf !!!!!!! ( yh not very original but Azelf is so good at this )

The fourth thing was " what pokemon appreciate Luc + Zor work ? ". DD Tar ofc. Zor / Luc nails Skarm, Waters and DD Tar does the rest. Thx to his immense bulk + Screens, Ttar can setup on ( almost ) everything and you can go for Lum Berry > Resist berries

The fifth thing was " I need a second water resist, a elec resist, a fire resist ... and maybe a second screens setter " . This is where Latias comes in. I really like to have 2 screens setter and Latias also have Healing Wish. Lati and not Cress because it's faster and it also adds useful resistances.

And the team is done. I'm not going to link it because I don't know if I can.

Gyara HGSS.png
zelf.png
Scizor F DPP Front.png
Lucario DPP Front.png
Tyranitar Shiny DPP Front.png
lati.png

https://pokepast.es/ff9f32b9325264ae --> Description of the team

But I didn't stop here.
24 Dec : I was still trying to build around Rachi + Zor and I had a very cool idea : Remember this ?

4 Atk MixRachi is also good but we will talk about it later.
The synergy is insane, you lure everything that Scizor dislikes while still having a decent coverage to chip everything.
I decided to build around this core in HO. I know that MixRachi LOVES spikes so I went for a Froslass and a Skarm lead. I added Scarf Rotom as anti-spin. And for the two last slots I chose DD Tar + DD Gyara in Skarm version and I chose DD Tar + Special Pert in Froslass version.
( Click on the sprites )
Skarmory DPP Front.pngJirachi, DPP.pngScizor F DPP Front.pngRotom-H Shiny DPP Front.pngTyranitar Shiny DPP Front.pngGyara HGSS.png
Froslass DPP.pngJirachi, DPP.pngScizor F DPP Front.pngRotom-H Shiny DPP Front.pngTyranitar Shiny DPP Front.pngSwampert DPP.png

Shuca on Rachi because of Swampert / Flygon ... Ice punch in Froslass Version for Flygon and Grass Knot in Skarm Version for Defensive Swampert.
Jolly Scizor for non-scarf Timid Zone.
Scarf Rotom for speed control + anti-spin.
DD Chople Tar because Gengar and Breloom are pains.
Gyara with Wacan ... not going to explain again why ( not sure if Wacan is the best option tho ) ///// Special pert lures Rotom / Skarm / Zapdos and has Rocks.

Feel free to test them because I didn't have the time to.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas

I was asked to build around Protect + 3 attacks abomasnow. I came up with this https://pokepast.es/c8e85b16be99fdea
A while back, I had the idea of abomasnow + weather ball raikou, so this was my perfect opportunity. Focus punch is on aboma too help raikou and the other special attackers against clef and bliss in particular, as well as being nice to catch Pokémon like heatran on the switch.
Raikou with hp grass and weather ball gives it good coverage against almost all ground Pokémon, especially after a cm, though in hindsight Aura Sphere probably would have been better seeing as Obama helps against the Swampert that hp grass is mainly targeting.
Starmie is there for rapid spin, and also outspeeding gengar. When I began building, I didn’t know Raikou was required to be rash in order to have weather ball, so this team is pretty weak to gengar now.
Metagross was my Pokémon of choice to take advantage of the water type domination between Obama and raikou, and it’s also shuca berry to guard against dd tar and scarf flygon.
Jirachi was my lead of choice to set up rocks and also be a second steel with Metagross, since I would mainly try to play Metagross late game. This spread outspeeds lucario, and the rest of the evs are chucked in defense and hp for various earthquakes and superpowers.
Lastly, I have Colbur latias since otherwise breloom would just come in and feast on this team. Colbur is nice for avoiding pursuit traps, and the 180 defense lets me always live a cb tar crunch after rocks and sand.
The team isn’t perfect, especially because some things came up in my life that set me back in building it, but I’m overall pleased with how it ended up.

John Madden

formerly j3b4it33d
Here is the team I got!

Link
My request: NP Celebi + Scarf Scizor.

This is such a steamroller of a team, perfect for my playstyle. Thank you to whoever made it! You sure know how to put the pressure on...

The reason why I requested NP Celebi and Scarf Scizor is that they're ancient sets I've always loved despite their relative lack of popularity. Celebi is quite fast and has so much coverage it can lay the hurt on anything you want. Scarf Scizor has that fast STAB U-Turn with Technician Pursuit to checkmate fast threats so it fits well on super aggressive teams. I liked the interaction between the two as Celebi can dunk on balance while Scizor takes care of things like Latias that will give Celebi trouble.

I expected my request to be paired with a Magnezone as neither Celebi nor Scizor love to face Skarmory. I'm happy to have been proven wrong as that would have heavily compounded the Fire weakness making it difficult to deal with Heatran and the rare but dangerous Infernape. From what I can see, this team is designed to put the pressure on as early as turn 1 with the DD lead Dragonite. SpDef Boom Heatran to get the rock up and keep the ball rolling. I really like the finishing touch of LO Starmie with Recover to mop up the mess late game, as the Scarf user here obviously has more issues with that.

Merry Christmas everyone :toast:
Merry Christmas! Really happy that you enjoyed the team that I ultimately came up with.

I was excited to get this prompt because the core felt like something that came straight out of a 2009 wifi battle, which I loved to watch. NP Celebi, in similar vein to Superachi, has a plethora of coverage options to sustain itself. I usually opt for one STAB (either psychic/leaf storm, the latter has power too good to resist, in comparison to grass knot or energy ball), one coverage move to beat a textbook counter (i.e earth power for heatran) and another coverage move. The last move was a toss up between HP Fire and Ice. Whilst fire was good to get off chip on Skarm, Ice allowed me to hit Zapdos, which I felt this team was a bit iffy on, as well as Dragonite and Flygon on the switch. Figuring out what item to put on that Celebi was a bit though for me. I opted to not put occa, given the amount of fire resists on the team, plus one immune. I felt that Colbur would allow Celebi to set up in front of Tyranitar, to be given an opportunity to fire off that biiiig leaf storm, but other items you could opt for are leftovers to nullify sand chip at worst, passive recovery at best, and tanga berry to brush off u-turns.

The Dragonite lead was something I got from eden here. It basically lives some typical responses to Dragonite like outrage from dragons and ice coverage from Rotom + Jirachi to then dish out some massive damage back, making Celebi’s life easier to sweet, especially when removing things like Flygon and Latias from the equation, which was probably the biggest reason why I added this set.

LO Starmie provides additional answers to things like Breloom, while recover gives it added longevity, to especially add the pressure to Skarm for days, while sticking around to help out end game. Should you go spin, it also helps for Gyarados to continuously switch in and provide intimidate drops to enable the rest of the breakers. It also, more importantly, deals with Skarm alongside Heatran, so that, yeah, I don’t have much of a reason to run Magnezone on the team.

Anyways, just some notes there. I really enjoyed making this team, and I’m glad that you liked it too

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)