Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball / CM
- Weather Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass / Ice.

kou is one of my favorite pokemon. This set is a bit innovative unlike its other versions. WBall allows me to carry HP Ice/Grass in combination depending on the weather or the team. In Sand WB it can go well vs Zapdos or Nite but I prefer hail team it is more useful for my taste Ice WB + HP Grass for pert, quagsire or Gastrodon. SBall is good coverage and option for Latias and Rotom although CM provides more power.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Taunt

DD + Taunt ttar is not expected much and is something that can come as a surprise. It usually works well against stall (Rotom, fable, Latias) and with enough support it can be dangerous. Lum Berry gives me freedom to use DD without fear + Taunt and thus use again if necessary.

Jirachi @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Doom Desire
- Trick
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Doom desire is a 120 BP special, steel type move that deals typeless damage two turns after it has been used.

It is absolutely garbage. But it has a place as an okay stallbreaker as you can stack doom desire alongside another strong attack to KO anything. For example you use doom desire while they switch to a Jirachi counter like Swampert. You then switch to Latias while they do swampert things. You then get to use choice specs dracco meteor on the same turn as specs doom desire which will KO things like clefable.
I'm not going to show any calcs because doom desire is very weird. It calculates using the special defence of the pokemon the turn it was used. Just click doom desire and hope that you understand more about it than your opponent.
Trick is a necessity because once the gig is up a choice locked doom desire is quite easy to exploit.
The other two moves depend on your team.

It can also be used on a mixed attack set, but I had most success with Specs.

It can miss.

Aerodactyl @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Roost

It's a LO Aerodactyl that doesn't have to roost all the time. It's only a small change but it has a huge impact. Aerodactyl has more special defence than bronzong in the sand. It can revenge kill alot of threats, it can sweep in it's own right and it isn't useless against stall. I know you want to give it a try now.

Jeong

Banned deucer.

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 228 Spe ?
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Grass

• I tried this set a while ago and liked it. It is true that it needs more support, but at least there is no risk of failing like with Overheat. A shame about nature, since you lose a lot of speed. I have put 228 to beat neutral ttar, but I doubt anyone will use it like that. The closest would be DD ttar, but Jolly is better. This is where teammates come in. Anything that is twave spam to benefit and bring out the full potential of Heatran, the better. Clefable - Blissey, BSlam rachi, twave Starmie, Discharge Zapdos, twave Latias or defensive nite Twave?

Gengar @ Custap Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 136 HP / 60 SpA / 60 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Explosion / Destiny Bond

• Well, admitting that this may be a bit of a stretch. This set is mainly designed to enter LO Hydro Starmie and surprise with SBall. Additionally, it also works as a Spin Block. Anyway, thanks to Custap Berry, since you don't expect much in Gengar, you can also surprise as a last service with both Explosion and DBond. I have put it as another option, since both are good. You can apply the Gengar 'utility' set, which holds up well to Starm's Hydro (not LO). WoW over Taunt for things like rachi or Metagross. Teammates like Roserade, trick iron ball gross - meta, DD Ttar, Gyara are good options.

Pretty good at smacking defense & offense alike after you paralyze half their team. Solid rock lets your sub take iron heads & gyro balls without breaking.
I run a lot of Rhyperior on DPP ladder, more than anyone else Ive seen. IMO you need Ice Punch for coverage against Flygon, Gliscor and Breloom. Rhyperior handily wins against Flygon and Gliscor if you run Ice Punch and easily survives their Earthquakes. Without Ice Punch, those match ups are rather questionable. Breloom is more of a dicey matchup but people will frequently switch it into Rhyperior if they have it and Ice Punch is the most punishing answer for Breloom.

I recommend the following Rhyperior set for DPP OU:

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability : Solid Rock
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Ice Punch / Fire Punch

You want 132 HP so your substitutes can't be broken by Seismic Toss. Rhyperior switches into Clefable fairly well, including variants running Ice Beam. Of course you want sand support for Rhyperior and it benefits hugely from Trick Room as well if you run TR at all.

Ice Punch covers Gliscor and Flygon. Fire Punch punishes Bronzong who otherwise wall Rhyperior with no problem. Both of these punches are fine against Breloom. This set can endure one Seed Bomb from Breloom if they are built with the "standard" defensive substitute build and if Breloom has taken chip damage from something, could threaten to KO it. Fire Punch also guarantees a winning matchup against Scizor, Forretress, and should win against Magnet Rise Magnezone which some people may switch in to Rhyperior.

Its worth noting that Stone Edge is the same power as Fire Punch into Skarmory except 100% chance to hit and has burn chance. Ice Punch is the same for Latias except freeze chance. I think Ice Punch on average is better than Fire Punch and the 10% freeze chance allows you to develop a substitute.

This set presumes you are running sand support, but you aren't running Rhyperior without sand are you?

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 132 HP / 208 Atk / 168 I Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Pretty good at smacking defense & offense alike after you paralyze half their team. Solid rock lets your sub take iron heads & gyro balls without breaking.
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 HP / 208 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Focus Punch

Update: I been running around with sub pass rhyperior & I really like focus punch on it. Just as good into Skarm as SD & you enjoy mauling loom,flygon,zong,etc who think they’re safe into you.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- filler
- filler

In hindsight I could’ve put this into one post but now you can’t get trapped by tar anymore

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 HP / 208 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Focus Punch

Update: I been running around with sub pass rhyperior & I really like focus punch on it. Just as good into Skarm as SD & you enjoy mauling loom,flygon,zong,etc who think they’re safe into you.
I told you on showdown, but I tried something similar except crunch instead of edge. The reasoning for that being that things like Gengar, Rotom, and Latias are somewhat common switch-ins when they think EQ is coming. Cant hit Gyara without edge which is bad. Rhyperior has so many viable sets though its crazy.

I told you on showdown, but I tried something similar except crunch instead of edge. The reasoning for that being that things like Gengar, Rotom, and Latias are somewhat common switch-ins when they think EQ is coming. Cant hit Gyara without edge which is bad. Rhyperior has so many viable sets though its crazy.
I recently wrote a lot about sub rhyperior here: https://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/rhyperior/ou/.

In short, I would never recommend crunch on rhyperior. I think arguments can be made about dropping edge, but certainly not for crunch. The targets you mention are only hit slightly harder than stone edge, while you miss out very importantly on Gyarados and zapdos.

I think dropping ice punch feels almost criminal, as not being able to hit gliscor at all sucks, while ice punch’s coverage is generally fantastic w edgequake for Latias, Flygon, breloom, accurate move for Dragonite etc. I also don’t think focus punch is a very good idea, as it hits as hard as neutral edgequake and the moveslot is highly valuable. It could be nice to remove prediction from trying to break Skarmory though.

I recently wrote a lot about sub rhyperior here: https://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/rhyperior/ou/.
Nice, just read it. I see you favor the same substitute set I do with Ice Punch. I also agree CB is a monster, but I typically do EQ/Edge and 2 coverage moves instead, when I run CB.

Sub punch is certainly not the best build, I'd say sub/eq/edge/icepunch and CB are the most viable sets for sure.

Im not sure why you think its so crucial to outspeed clef. I guess Clef could knock off unless you sub first, but frequently Clef won't stick around to risk letting you develop a Sub/SD. With spdef investment instead, in sandstorm, Gengar can't even 2HKO with a 120 BP move. Granted the water/grass weakness is frequently going to OHKO but even then, not always:

252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 132 HP / 128 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior in Sand: 174-205 (43 - 50.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Infernape Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 132 HP / 128 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior in Sand: 356-421 (88.1 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Nice, just read it. I see you favor the same substitute set I do with Ice Punch. I also agree CB is a monster, but I typically do EQ/Edge and 2 coverage moves instead, when I run CB.

Sub punch is certainly not the best build, I'd say sub/eq/edge/icepunch and CB are the most viable sets for sure.

Im not sure why you think its so crucial to outspeed clef. I guess Clef could knock off unless you sub first, but frequently Clef won't stick around to risk letting you develop a Sub/SD. With spdef investment instead, in sandstorm, Gengar can't even 2HKO with a 120 BP move. Granted the water/grass weakness is frequently going to OHKO but even then, not always:

252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 132 HP / 128 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior in Sand: 174-205 (43 - 50.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Infernape Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 132 HP / 128 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior in Sand: 356-421 (88.1 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
It’s more the overall speed tier as outspeeding pert, Empoleon, some Machamp, hippo is a big one etc is very nice. For clef specifically, that’s your main entry point against stall. You want to be able to pressure clef without getting encored into sub as you set up.

I’m very aware that a little bit of spdef can avoid some 2hko/ohkos, but i personally don’t think it’s worth it. Your goal w rhyperior is to be an attacker that can use its physical bulk and solid rock to check dd mons. You’re not trying to check Gengar (which can just burn you instead), you only can live gk infernape in an emergency if you’re at full health. In my opinion, that extra speed will go a long way instead of spdef.

Some fun sets for laddering.
tyranitar.png

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Counter

- Stealth Rock
- Payback

Anti physical lead, you dont really need attack investment and can go defense and hp. payback/counter already do enough damage without investment. t-wave for set up leads and rocks for the fact rocks are very good.

Lives a +1 Waterfall and with chople can live any unboosted fighting type attack, could probably be calc'd out to have more spdf but im too small brain for that shit

I unironically think this is one of the best things I ever crafted, Almost nothing can 1 hit this tyranitar with the only worry really being Aerodactyl can be troublesome, But payback into another payback is probably the best option for that (assuming you're playing around taunt. you could also t-wave turn 1 to see if they taunt you)

starmie.png
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Surf

Honestly, the spread could use work but I think fast flash starmie isn't "good" but it is quite funny to see moves miss. We all saw the whole thing with Froslass recently and what started off with a meme with porygon 2 trying to pp stall like with what gen 1 porygon did turned into a legitimately solid starmie set. No longer do you have to worry about the 100% accurate pursuit switch in.

You can also flash then just switch on whatever bastard mon they bring in and have a solid chance that they just miss next turn, allowing for another flash or for you to twitch in. If they bring in a pesky ghost type then imagine switching to your t-tar without having to worrying about any chip, even better imagine a gengar with a even less accurate focus blast.

I don't think this set will break metas; however it is VERY funny and you should try it out on your friends and ladder victims. (Shoutouts to Excal who is also a flash starmie connoisseur)

vaporeon-png-19.png

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Wish
- Roar
- Heal Bell

I've been running a lot of Vaporeon on the DPP ladder and this mon does consistently well. Vaporeon is a massive special wall which shrugs off HP:Grass and Grass Knot from even strong special attackers like Empoleon. This set answers a huge number of special attackers except STAB grass users (uncommon) and electric users, but that is what Vaporeon's teammates are for. Speaking of teammates, Spikes support is important and notably Vaporeon covers common answer to Skarm: Heatran. I also personally recommend the standard Rest-talk Rotom with this Vaporeon set because Heal Bell cures the sleep, and they provide a strong phys/spec defensive core. The idea is for Vaporeon to come in on special hitters like Heatran, Suicune, Empoleon, Latias, or Gengar. From there, this set provides a diverse way for Vaporeon to develop chip damage or support the team.

You may notice that protect is missing from this set. Common wisdom dictates that you run protect with wish to guarantee the heal. That is certainly an option, and trust me people love to explode their Heatrans into this set so protect is definitely viable. But this set is more aggressive. Wish threatens to crush special attackers under Vaporeon's massive bulk. Roar threatens possible answers like Zapdos who won't like taking hazard damage just to be phased. Heal Bell threatens to erase tempo generated by opposing stall teams.

Beta.png
Note: This was the beta design for Togekiss
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Baton pass is unbanned, and some people are realising that it works in the lead slot. Here, the opponent usually wants to set rocks giving you an opportunity, and if they don't it's often not a lot lost. Toge is an interesting take on this sort of strategy, because in a plastic way, when it stops working, it only stops working with some probability instead of stopping to work all at once (para/flinch).

Due to it's high special attack, you have the option to try and KO all the taunt leads not named aerodactyl, and flinch the slow leads like pert. A lot of opponents will swap out their slow lead if they see you too, and this can give you a substitute chance. There also exists a fully offensive toge lead with fire blast and some other coverage moves, which a few players respect creating some set variety in the lead slot.

pepe.jpeg

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dynamic Punch
- Payback
- Cross Chop

Machamp is an excellent baton pass receiver, although this set can be run independently of toge. The idea behind cross chop is that it can't safey be pp stalled. Many players have a game plan that involves pp stalling machamps dpunch if push comes to shove, (i.e. when other options are no longer available). However this cannot be done if machamp has twice the pp, and risks a critical hit every second turn or so with cross chops high critical hit ratio. Cross chop is a move that should only be run when you can spare the coverage on machamp, and can compensate for the lack of it somewhere else. For this reason, I recommend changing out the non fighting moves to different ones to suit your team.

Try pp stalling while dodging confusion and critical hits, while the other player doesn't have to think that much. This is the glory of cross chop machamp.

Relevant replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-2042709086-6arc0x2i0179f93rrcxns8hqbr3ovvjpw

Lady Bug

Like the Wind
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Gallade (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash

Gallade is in my top 3 favorite Pokemon, so I decided to make a quick team with it and thought it fits best as a lead. It did so much better than expected and Lum Berry is actually one of the best items right now since everyone is running sleep/paralysis. It does great against most leads except for Metagross and CB Azelf... and a specs HP Flying Zapdos that caught me off guard. They OHKO it so you're better off switching out against these or you can just CC Metagross/Shadow Sneak Azelf for damage. It has not been only a lead for me, a lot of the time I switch it out and it does work mid/late game.

Managed to hit 1511 pretty easily with the team. Here it is if anybody is interesting in using it: https://pokepast.es/37cb71a280250ad7

I was also thinking of Choice Scarf Gallade, but I got too lazy to make another team. Not as a lead, but it can probably work there.

Gallade (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Trick/Thunder Punch/Leaf Blade
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash

Something along these lines. Hypnosis is also an option if you're a mad man.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 11.40.36 AM.png

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 172 HP / 84 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Empoleon is one of my favorite leads, but I tend to dislike sacrificial leads with sash. So instead of running a glass cannon Empoleon lead, I run a more "bulky offense" variant which sets Rocks but also wields a big array of coverage options. The typical Empoleon leads are ruined by this set, Ive never once had an opponent win the mirror match with a standard sash Empoleon lead. Azelf is 2HKO by Surf. Aerodactyl beats this but still has to correctly predict Taunt or EQ or just take the loss and set its own Rocks. Starmie, even with Thunderbolt, is outmatched by Empoleon's special bulk. Empoleon walls Latias very well and threatens to Ice Beam it back. A stacking CM Latias can get the better of this set, but even still Empoleon can crit or freeze and win that anyways.

The main issue with Empoleon is its fighting and ground weaknesses so usual suspects like Rotom/Gengar are good partners. I also really love Trick Room Bronzong with this set because Zong covers Empoleon's ground weakness and can set a TR for Empoleon to come back in on. This works very well if Empoleon was put into Torrent range beforehand.

EDIT
I couldnt resist providing this sample game with the Empoleon set.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-2055925866

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)