Gen 4 [DPP OU] A SUIIIIIIIIIIIIIICUNE team | Peaked #26

INTRODUCTION
Hello everyone, I am Lialiabeast and I am back with another DPP OU RMT. Since my last RMT, I wanted to build my very own team based on Suicune, which is easily one of my favorite Water-type Pokemon to use. Before this team I am going to share, I tested many things with Suicune on ladder, such as double Water Gyara + Suicune, that actually worked as well. However, this team below was the one that had the most success, and the main idea was the Substitute set + Support from Spore. Also, I would like to point out that surprisingly this team was pretty good right off the bat, so I didn't change nearly anything about it as I was laddering. Of course, this team will also have a concept, which is 6 of my favorite football players oat. I’m proud to present to you the SUIIIIICUNE team!

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

Suicune is the main idea of this team, as I already know that it is pretty bulky and it can hit hard with its access to Calm Mind. Being a pure Water type is also pretty useful for a team as it has only 2 type weaknesses, so my job to pick the second teammate wouldn't be too hard. I, also, found the Substitute set pretty hot, as I thought that it would work great with Pressure and Calm Mind.

I immeadiately thought Breloom as a great partner for Suicune, as it provides type coverage for it, and most importantly, its access to Spore would help Suicune setup Substitute + Calm Mind. Also, it acts as powerful physical attacker that targets special walls that annoy Suicune, such as Blissey and Clefable. Breloom has also great synergy with Suicune since Suicune can switch into troublesome threats for Breloom such as Heatran.

Speaking of Heatran, I decided that I want a Steel-type Pokemon that can set Stealth Rock up, and I found the idea of Water + Grass + Fire pretty great. Heatran works well with both Suicune and Breloom, as it sets Stealth Rock for Suicune, provides great coverage for Breloom, and deals with Pokemon that are trouble for both Suicune and Breloom, such as Celebi and Roserade. Heatran was also a great choice since it removes Steel-types that can prevent Suicune from setting up such as Jirachi. And with that core, I had good coverage overall, so I didn't have to worry about weaknesses yet.

Since, as I stated above, I didn't have to worry about weaknesses yet, all I had to do for my next step is to think of a Pokemon that would have good synergy with at least one of the members above. Since I wasn't going to run Substitute Breloom, I thought that Ghost-type Pokemon like Gengar, would be a problem. At first, for this reason, Tyranitar was the next member for this team. It also works great with Heatran, as Heatran covers it for some of its weaknesses and it removes Steel-types like Metagross. In addition, Tyranitar can trap some possible switch-ins to Suicune and Breloom, like Gengar, as mentioned above, Latias, and even Starmie. Overall, I believed that Tyranitar would be great as a support to the other members, and a decent offensive threat to opposing teams.

Looking at type coverage, I noticed that I had no real Earthquake immunity, and I also wanted to add a Dragon-type that would hit hard and clear the way for Suicune eventually. At first, Latias or Dragonite felt like the perfect Pokemon for this slot, since they both add the Fighting resist that the team needs as well. However, I felt that I used Latias and Dragonite too much lately, so I wanted to test something else. Therefore, that leaves only Flygon to fill the spot for the team, which was fine because I like Flygon as well. Flygon isn't that strong as Dragonite and Latias, but that Stealth Rock resist and its decent stats, that would allow it to perform the role I need it for, were all enough for me to make my decision.

I decided that I wouldn't use the Choice Scarf Flygon set, so I wanted some Speed control. Fighting-type Pokemon such as Lucario and Machamp seemed that they would literally destroy the team, as I had 0 switch-ins. Also, DD Gyarados could be a major problem for this team as well if it started setting up. For these 3 reasons, I chose Choice Scarf Rotom-Wash as the last member of the team. Also, I believed that Rotom would work great with Suicune, as it lures Choice Pursuit trappers, such as Scizor and Tyranitar, so after Rotom-W goes down Suicune would come in safely and start setting up.

TEAM DESCRIPTION

Hazard (Heatran) @ Shuca Berry / Chople Berry / Lum Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast / Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Explosion / Taunt

Looking at the members of the team, I noticed that I haven't decided which Pokemon is going to be my lead for the team. At first, I thought Tyranitar will act as the lead, but I didn't really like the idea since I wanted Tyranitar to surprise Ghost-type Pokemon and threats like Choice Specs Latias later on. Therefore, I decided to have Heatran, aka Eden Heatrard, as the lead of the team. Thanks to its great Special Attack stat, Heatran is able to hit hard, and even KO, most leads of the metagame, which makes sense since there are many Steel-type leads such as Metagross, Bronzong, and Skarmory. Most important thing, for my teams at least, is that the lead must have access to Stealth Rock, so I can set it up as soon as possible in the game, and it seemed that Heatran is a fine Stealth Rock user thanks to its decent Speed stat. Fire Blast applies offensive Pressure, as it is a powerful STAB attack for Heatran, while Earth Power targets mostly opposing Heatran. On the other hand, I tested Magma Storm out as well, for the purpose of removing leads like Focus Sash Azelf, without letting it use Explosion and deal important damage to the team. It worked out, but I still feel that Fire Blast is a more reliable choice thanks to the accuracy and more PP, but Magma Storm is also an option for anyone who wants to give it a shot. I really like the fact that it also has access to Explosion, but Taunt is also a good option, as it prevents slower leads like Tyranitar to set Stealth Rock, and Heatran is not really a suicude lead in my eyes, but I guess you can still run Explosion anyway and click it later in the game, as it would help Suicune by luring and removing walls like Clefable. Shuca and Chople Berry make the most sense to have as items for a Heatran lead, since Shuca allows it to live Earthquake from the likes of Metagross, and Chople on the other hand allows it to take on Close Combat from Infernape and Dynamic Punch from Machamp. These 2 are the recommended items, but I tested Lum Berry while laddering, as I had this idea of absorbing Spore from opposing Breloom, and revenge kill it, since I was afraid of Breloom's Substitute set vs my team. Lum Berry, also absorbs Thunder Wave from the likes of Azelf and Blissey (and then click Explosion perhaps).

1) Shuca Berry Matchups:

252+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 236-278 (73 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 428-506 (117.5 - 139%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(if Metagross is Focus Sash, otherwise you just ouspeed and OHKO)

144+ Atk Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 216-256 (66.8 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

2) Chople Berry Matchups:

64 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chople Berry Heatran: 135-160 (41.7 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Infernape: 290-342 (98.9 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Machamp Dynamic Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chople Berry Heatran: 171-202 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Machamp: 223-264 (69.4 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(can also click Explosion here)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUIIIIICUNE (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

I present to you now the star of the team, and the reason I built this team. This Pokemon is so damn awesome, as it has great bulk, decent SpA and Speed, and most importantly access to Calm Mind. Since it is really bulky, runs Calm Mind, and its ability is Pressure, I thought that Substitute would work great here. For this reason, Suicune is a able to set up on Pokemon such as Heatran (avoiding possible Explosion with Substitute), and become a powerful sweeper. Also, Substitute is great to avoid status such as Toxic from the likes of Blissey that puts a timer on Suicune and prevents it from sweeping. Hydro Pump is Suicune's most powerful STAB, as it is threatening even without Calm Mind boost. Ice Beam provides coverage against Grass-type Pokemon such as Roserade, and against Dragon-type Pokemon such as Latias.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Messi (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Superpower

Breloom, aka Lionel Breloomessi, as mentioned in Team Building Process, offers Suicune a Spore support, so it can have an easier time setting Substitute + Calm Mind up. The fact that I wanted it to remove annoying walls to Suicune such as Blissey and Empoleon, and this sweet 130 base Attack stat, made me want to use it as an all-out attacker and ignore its Substitute set for once. Mach Punch targets less weakened targets that are also a threat Breloom such as Heatran, Lucario, and DD Tyranitar. Seed Bomb is the only good Grass-type move for Breloom, as it targets Water-type Pokemon that could annoy Suicune such as Defensive Starmie, while it is also the only move in this set that can hit Ghost-type Pokemon like Rotom. Superpower is Breloom's strongest attack, as it OHKOes multiple targets like Clefable and Tyranitar, and deal important damage to Pokemon like Bronzong and Skarmory. Because there is no Substitute in this set, Gengar would be a free switch in to Breloom, so let's take a look at our next member now.

1) 252 Atk Breloom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 111-132 (33.2 - 39.5%) -- 18.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

2) 252 Atk Breloom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Bronzong: 154-183 (45.5 - 54.1%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

3) 252 Atk Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 176-210 (62.6 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4) 252 Atk Breloom Mach Punch vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 126-150 (37.8 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

5) 252 Atk Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 244-292 (71.5 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

6) 252 Atk Breloom Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 302-356 (93.2 - 109.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

7) 252 Atk Breloom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 714-840 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+
252 Atk Breloom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clefable: 506-596 (128.4 - 151.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ronaldinho (Tyranitar) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 48 HP / 144 Atk / 52 Def / 184 SpD / 80 Spe
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

I present to you the Ghost-type destroyer, and the supporter of the team. Tyranitar, aka Tyranitinho, is responsible for taking care of the some of the threats that previous members have trouble with facing, and not only Ghost-types. One of these threats is Latias, as it checks all 3 other members and can hit hard in return, and Tyranitar's great special bulk + Sandstorm makes it great for the job. Only real issue I can see, is that it doesn't work that great with Suicune's set due to Sandstorm damage, but I believe it is worth having it as team member anyway, as it is one of the GOATs of DPP OU. Crunch is a good STAB attack for Tyranitar, as it targets all the threats mentioned above for super effective damage, as well as dealing good amount of chip to neutral targets like Flygon. Earthquake is a coverage move that removes Steel-type Pokemon that Tyranitar can switch into such as Heatran, Jirachi, Magnezone and other Steel-types in general like Empoleon. Of course Tyranitar always runs Pursuit for the obvious reasons. Lastly, Stone Edge is Tyranitar's Rock-type STAB attack, as it hits threats to the team such as Gyarados and Dragonite. I am using the spread that allows Tyranitar to act as the supporter that I want it to be, taking special hits and dealing good damage as well. The item of choice is Chople Berry, in order to take a Focus Blast from Gengar with ease.

Drogba (Flygon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Flygon, aka Flygba, serves as a powerful Dragon-type attacker, and with its mixed set it can fool the opponent into thinking that this runs Choice Scarf, an idea that I really liked. Flygon's moves in this set work great for this exact goal (fooling foes), and it also helps Suicune by wearing down opposing teams before Suicune comes in and have an easier job setting up + sweeping. Thanks to its typing it resists Stealth Rock, which is great, and also provides Electric immunity for Suicune, so it can easily switch into something like Choice Scarf Rotom. Draco Meteor and Earthquake are Flygon's STAB attacks, as Draco Meteor hits Dragon-type Pokemon and Earthquake hits Steel- and Rock-type Pokemon that can take on a Draco Meteor, such as Jirachi and Tyranitar. With this combination, Flygon can trick opposing teams by clicking Earthquake on a Steel-type expecting a switch in to eg Dragonite, and then reveal the Life Orb Draco Meteor. Fire Blast, also works great here, as it targets Steel-Types that can't be targeted by Draco Meteor or Earthquake, like Skarmory and Levitate Bronzong. Roost gives Flygon longevity, because the Life Orb recoil damage might become too much as the game goes on.

1) 252 SpA Life Orb Flygon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 432-510 (133.7 - 157.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

2) 252 SpA Life Orb Flygon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kingdra: 500-590 (171.8 - 202.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

3) 252 SpA Life Orb Flygon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 342-404 (113.6 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4) 4 Atk Life Orb Flygon Earthquake vs. 48 HP / 0- Def Tyranitar: 288-342 (81.5 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

5) 4 Atk Life Orb Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Jirachi: 210-248 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

6) 4 Atk Life Orb Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 270-318 (83.5 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

7) 252 SpA Life Orb Flygon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 222-262 (66.4 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

8) 252 SpA Life Orb Flygon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Bronzong: 178-210 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Son (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Hydro Pump / Hidden Power Ice

Rotom-W, aka Rotom-Wason, is a valuable asset to the team, as it provides Speed control to the team with its Choice Scarf, and since Suicune has no HP Electric, it is the only member that can take care of DD Gyarados. It also has good synergy with most members, as Breloom can remove Tyranitar for it, Suicune benefits of it luring Pursuit users because it can set up if they are locked, and so on. Most importantly however, I wanted to add a Ghost-type to the team because the weakness to Fighting was too obvious. Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball are Rotom-W's STAB attacks as they hit targets that could be trouble for the team such as LO Starmie, Gengar, and even opposing Rotom. Trick is really good here since it can be used on the same switch ins that Suicune has, such as Blissey, and cripple them. Hydro Pump is there because it is the only other reliable attack that Rotom-W has access to, but it can also target Infernape and Heatran which can be a problem sometimes. However, HP Ice is a solid option, as it targets serious threats to the team such as DD Dragonite or Flygon.

THREAT LIST

+
: DD users such as Gyarados and Dragonite can sweep the entire team if Rotom-W is gone, because nothing else on the team can revenge kill them at +1 or at least check them and prevent the sweep.

: Also, Rotom-W is able to deal with Agility Metagross, which can easily sweep the team if it sets up. That being said, it is not a major threat as there are more than one member to prevent it from setting up, like Heatran and Flygon, but if you have to be careful and never allow it to click Agility because that would mean trouble.

: Swords Dance Lucario is probably the biggest problem to the team as it can kill literally anything at +2 without having a hard time, even Rotom-W with Bullet Punch if its weakened, and it will most likely be by the time opposing Lucario comes in. Only way of dealing it is to try to keep the Rotom-W healthy as much as possible and knock Lucario out with a few Thunderbolts, or Mach Punch with Breloom before it sets up.

REPLAYS + IMPORTABLE + PROOF OF PEAK

Here are some fun ladder matches with the team:

1. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1695429205 Fun game at the very least
2. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1695442529 Dodge the Explosion = GG
3. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1695459267-wnv6bntnbk9sc3a736beljsvn0bcu1epw Almost tilted vs Clefable
4. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1695474909-e7g4ewlg22191athgjkhtsrdh1oxjrvpw Breloom the man
5. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1695733589 Lum Berry Heatran clutches
6. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1699404364-2bmyd517ohyoekp24flqiv64js1i8qnpw Suicune goes to work

+

This team was used for almost all of the games in this account

CONCLUSION

Suicune is a great Pokemon and this team will probably be one my most used ones, since apparently I had the most success with it. Thank you for reading this RMT, and I hope you enjoyed the team and perhaps test it out as well! Please feel free to give any feedback, since I am still new to team building and any advice would be much appreciated!

Previous RMTs:

Lucario Doncic and Lialia's Mavericks
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...the-lialias-mavericks-peaked-top-100.3709231/

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
Hey Yaya, I want to say I'm proud of you and this team, I'm glad you were able to learn a few things from a team building aspect (That I taught you) in Gen 4 OU and use it on your own successfully.

I remember we spoke about this Heatran set, especially regarding the berry that you would use. I personally would go for Shuca because of Metagross or even other Heatran leads. In terms of Fire Blast / Magma Storm, in terms of a lead set I don't think Overheat would be a bad option just to hit hard anything to try to switch in on a fire move just to hit a little harder, that being said Fire Blast works as well but I don't know if I can trust Magma Storm (Can't afford it to miss as SR is important to setup) as a lead set (I would have to have Protect / Substitute as well).

Suicune works well, I like that you went with Modest > Timid just for that extra strength especially when setting up Calm Minds.

For Breloom, Its a small tweak but I feel like I would go with an Adamant nature just because personally I would Mach Punch to hit a little harder, unless you had experience with outspeeding Modest Heatrans / Adamant Gyarados consistently then I would say stay with Jolly.

Lastly with Rotom-W I would recommend you to go with Hidden Power Ice over Hydro Pump just to bother DD Dragonite

252 SpA Rotom-Wash Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 264-312 (81.7 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It's not going to OHKO, but if Stealth Rock is up you'll be able to finish it off if it's not bulky. Rotom-Wash is important to this team to keep alive to keep check of the threats like Metagross, Gyarados, Lucario, and Dragonite. So I would highly recommend to scout out for pursuit users heavily before consistently bringing out Rotom-W.

Great presentation like always, I'm glad I don't have much suggestions which means you did a great job on this team by yourself. :)

Messi (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Superpower

Breloom, aka Lionel Breloomessi, as mentioned in Team Building Process, offers Suicune a Spore support, so it can have an easier time setting Substitute + Calm Mind up. The fact that I wanted it to remove annoying walls to Suicune such as Blissey and Empoleon, and this sweet 130 base Attack stat, made me want to use it as an all-out attacker and ignore its Substitute set for once. Mach Punch targets less weakened targets that are also a threat Breloom such as Heatran, Lucario, and DD Tyranitar. Seed Bomb is the only good Grass-type move for Breloom, as it targets Water-type Pokemon that could annoy Suicune such as Defensive Starmie, while it is also the only move in this set that can hit Ghost-type Pokemon like Rotom. Superpower is Breloom's strongest attack, as it OHKOes multiple targets like Clefable and Tyranitar, and deal important damage to Pokemon like Bronzong and Skarmory. Because there is no Substitute in this set, Gengar would be a free switch in to Breloom, so let's take a look at our next member now.
Very cool team, I would just change Superpower for Focus Punch to combo with Spores.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great RMT, very solid balanced team covering all bases with strong basics. All threats covered, great offensive and defensive synergy. I feel like the team could be made even stronger with some thought to game plan (how to progress early-mid-late).

One example for thinking might be including the possibility of clearing sand so Suicune could really go nuts in the late game. Suicune being terrifying when it has lefties recovery. Replacing TTar for Scizor would be one way of thinking, but it doesn’t stop them from bringing sand and I also find TTar to be more reliably good in this meta. But if you play this Tar really focused on an early game trap and almost suicidal offensively early on, then slipping Rain Dance somewhere could potentially give Suicune a late game berserk mode after TTar goes down. If you had rain you could even go Thunder Rotom for lols but probably stick with bolt.

Just that type of game-stage thinking. (Late game rain dance/sunny day to clear sand for Suicune/Snorlax sweep is a popular ADV trope that is DPP applicable)

Food for thought.

Great RMT, very solid balanced team covering all bases with strong basics. All threats covered, great offensive and defensive synergy. I feel like the team could be made even stronger with some thought to game plan (how to progress early-mid-late).

One example for thinking might be including the possibility of clearing sand so Suicune could really go nuts in the late game. Suicune being terrifying when it has lefties recovery. Replacing TTar for Scizor would be one way of thinking, but it doesn’t stop them from bringing sand and I also find TTar to be more reliably good in this meta. But if you play this Tar really focused on an early game trap and almost suicidal offensively early on, then slipping Rain Dance somewhere could potentially give Suicune a late game berserk mode after TTar goes down. If you had rain you could even go Thunder Rotom for lols but probably stick with bolt.

Just that type of game-stage thinking. (Late game rain dance/sunny day to clear sand for Suicune/Snorlax sweep is a popular ADV trope that is DPP applicable)

Food for thought.
Thank you for sharing your opinion about the RMT and this team. I will try out the rain suggestion, since it seems like a good idea!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)