DP Research Thread #6 (Even newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Welcome to an even newer DPP research thread! Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum have been out for a while now, so this may be the last research thread for this generation—but there are still some things that need to be tested, so please help out!

Here is an index of the older research threads:

DP Research Thread #5 ("Newest yet")
DP Research Thread #4 ("Newer still")
DP Research Thread #3 ("Newer")
DP Research Thread #2 ("New")
DP Research Thread #1 ("Old")

As you probably know, I've been working on a complete rewrite of Shoddy Battle over the last several months, and it's approaching completion. The goal is to be 100% faithful to the game's mechanics, and that's only been possible because of the great research done by community members, and with a little help from you we should be able to cross all of the remaining questions off this list.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need help setting up a test. I will be happy to explain something in detail if the question or test is unclear.

For greater clarity: we are doing research on the DS games, not in Shoddy Battle. Do not post anything in this thread about how a move, ability, item, or other mechanic behaves in Shoddy Battle. Only post about the behaviour in the DS games.

Some mechanics may have changed among the versions of the game, so when you post a result, post whether you carried the test out on DP, Platinum, or PBR. Also, PBR should generally be avoided since it may have different mechanics from the DS game. If you do use it, make sure you post that clearly.

Additionally, this thread is not for simple questions about game mechanics. For that, try the Simple Questions thread.

Here is a list of research that still needs to be done (it is not that long); more questions may be added later.

Conversion2

How exactly does Conversion2 work? More to be explored here.

Platinum weather mechanics

These questions apply only to Platinum.

First, a reminder of how to get multiple weathers in effect at the same time. If the host of the link battle kills a switching Pokemon with a double-power Pursuit then all of the weathers of a “lower” index than the currently effective weather get turned on. This is the order:

Trick Room
Fog
Gravity
Uproar
Hail
Sun
Sand
Rain

So, for example, killing a switching pokemon while Sun is currently active gives you a situation where Sun, Sand, and Rain are all concurrently effective. Understanding these mechanics is required to carry out any of the following tests.

[none right now]

Results

Snatch: Snatch changes the user of the move before Pressure can cause an additional PP loss. (1)

Bad Dreams: A sleeping pokemon loses health to Bad Dreams for each enemy with the Bad Dreams ability. Pokemon do not have Bad Dreams from their partner's ability. (1, 2)

Weather Ball: Weather Ball has the type of the highest priority weather, excluding Fog. (1)

Synthesis and friends: If Sun is present, heals 2/3. Heals 1/4 in Rain, Sand, and Hail (unless Sun is present). Heals 1/2 otherwise.
(1)

Perfect accuracy attacks versus Protect in Platinum (1): Neither No Guard nor Mind Reader / Lock On can break through Protect with < 100% accurate moves in Platinum.

Rage (1):

Rage ending unapplies:
Substitute
Confusion
Torment
Infatuation

Rage ending does not unapply:
Taunt
Embargo
Aqua Ring
Disable
Leech Seed
Ingrain
Magnet Rise
Drowziness

End of turn effects (1, 2, 3):

1.0 Reflect wears off: "your team's reflect wore off"
1.1 Light Screen wears off: "your team's light screen wore off"
1.2 Mist wears off: "your team's mist wore off"
1.3 Safeguard fades: "your team is no longer protected by safeguard"
1.4 Tailwind ends: "your team's tailwind petered out"
1.5 Lucky Chant: your team's lucky chant wore off"

2.0 Wish: "pokemon's wish came true"

3.0 Hail, Rain, Sandstorm, or Sun message

4.0 Dry Skin, Hydration, Ice Body, Rain Dish

5.0 Gravity

6.0 Ingrain
6.1 Aqua Ring
6.2 Speed Boost, Shed Skin
6.3 Black Sludge, Leftovers: "pokémon restored a little HP using its leftovers"
6.4 Leech Seed: "pokémon's health is sapped by leech seed"
6.5 Burn, Nightmare, Poison Heal, Poison: "pokémon is hurt by poison"
6.6 Flame Orb activation, Toxic Orb activation
6.7 Curse (from a Ghost)
6.8 Bind, Clamp, Fire Spin, Magma Storm, Sand Tomb, Whirlpool, Wrap
6.9 Bad Dreams Damage
6.10 End of Outrage, Petal Dance, Thrash, Uproar: "pokémon caused an uproar" & "pokémon calmed down"
6.11 Disable ends: "pokémon is no longer disabled"
6.12 Encore ends
6.13 Taunt wears off
6.14 Magnet Rise
6.15 Heal Block: "the foe pokémon's heal block wore off"
6.16 Embargo
6.17 Yawn
6.18 Sticky Barb

7.0 Doom Desire, Future Sight

8.0 Perish Song

9.0 Trick Room

10.0 Pokemon is switched in (if previous Pokemon fainted)
10.1 Toxic Spikes
10.2 Spikes
10.3 Stealth Rock

Solarbeam (1): Solarbeam has half power if rain, sand, or hail is active, even if sun is also active.

Thunder (1): Thunder has perfect accuracy in rain even if sun is also active.

Platinum weather mechanics

These questions apply only to Platinum.

First, a reminder of how to get multiple weathers in effect at the same time. If the host of the link battle kills a switching Pokemon with a double-power Pursuit then all of the weathers of a “lower” index than the currently effective weather get turned on. This is the order:

Trick Room
Gravity
Uproar
Fog
Hail
Sun
Sand
Rain

So, for example, killing a switching pokemon while Sun is currently active gives you a situation where Sun, Sand, and Rain are all concurrently effective. Understanding these mechanics is required to carry out any of the following tests.

1. What type is Weather Ball when multiple weathers are present? Possible answers include the highest weather in the list and the lowest one.

2. If Sun and at least one of Rain, Sand, and Hail are active, does Solarbeam have full power or half power?

3. If Rain and Sand are both active, does Thunder have perfect accuracy or 50% accuracy?

4. How much health do Synthesis and friends heal if Sun and Rain are both present: 2/3 or 1/4 max HP? Similarly, if Rain and Sand are present without Sun, do Synthesis and friends heal 1/4 or 1/2 max HP?
First, the order is Trick Room --> Fog --> Gravity --> Uproar --> Hail --> Sun --> Sand --> Rain

1. Always the highest weather condition. Obviously this completely ifìgnores anything above Hail, i. e. they have no effect on Weather Ball, and it will be Ice type under any of those

4. If Sun is present, it will always heal 66%, even if Hail (higher priority) is active. Rain and Sand make it heal 33%

I haven't tested 2 and 3, but if I had to guess, I'd say that every positive effect of the various weather effects is considered, even if that means ignoring another weather's negative effect.

Oh, I can help with testing, too

Bad Dreams in doubles

If both enemies have Bad Dreams, does a sleeping pokemon take Bad Dreams damage once or twice?

Does an ally with Bad Dreams cause a sleeping pokemon to take Bad Dreams damage or not?
They take two "shots" of Bad Dreams, and it doesn't do anything to a sleeping ally.

And an interesting mechanic that I posted in the last thread but am not sure was really seen: Sucker Punch works on a Pokemon recharging from Hyper Beam and friends.

Bad Dreams in doubles

If both enemies have Bad Dreams, does a sleeping pokemon take Bad Dreams damage once or twice?

Does an ally with Bad Dreams cause a sleeping pokemon to take Bad Dreams damage or not?
Just tested both.

For the first, the Pokemon receives damage from Bad Dreams twice (two separate messages).

As for the second, no a Pokemon doesn't take damage from its partner's bad dreams.

EDIT: Beaten, well at least it's confirmed by two people lol.

EDIT2:
Snatch

Does Snatch change the user of the move before or after Pressure causes the loss of an additional PP? To figure it out, you will need to make use of Psych Up. This can be tested in a singles battle. One pokemon has the ability Pressure and the move Snatch (for example, Absol or Weavile) and uses Snatch on its turn. The opponent has the move Psych Up and uses it on its turn. How many PP does the user of Psych Up lose?
The user of Psych Up only loses one PP.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
First, the order is Trick Room --> Fog --> Gravity --> Uproar --> Hail --> Sun --> Sand --> Rain
Noted.

1. Always the highest weather condition. Obviously this completely ifìgnores anything above Hail, i. e. they have no effect on Weather Ball, and it will be Ice type under any of those
Okay.

4. If Sun is present, it will always heal 66%, even if Hail (higher priority) is active. Rain and Sand make it heal 33%
33%? As far as I know, Synthesis and friends never heal 33% (they normally heal 1/4 in unfavourable weather). Can you clarify whether this was a typo?

haven't tested 2 and 3, but if I had to guess, I'd say that every positive effect of the various weather effects is considered, even if that means ignoring another weather's negative effect.
Confirming this would be great, as I already have guesses myself as well.

And an interesting mechanic that I posted in the last thread but am not sure was really seen: Sucker Punch works on a Pokemon recharging from Hyper Beam and friends.
This is because Hyper Beam internally makes the pokemon select Hyper Beam next turn (whereupon it causes the pokemon to have to recharge), which is an attacking move.

The user of Psych Up only loses one PP.
Okay.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
dunno why speed boost/shed skin are listed as 6.0 as I didn´t find a test for these

used a smeargle with aqua ring, ingrain, skill swap speed boost and holding leftovers and the order was:
1. ingrain recovery
2. aqua ring recovery
3. speed boost
4. leftovers

embargo "can use items again" is definitely after leftovers...gonna find the exact position, also hopefully heal block...I can´t test bad dreams though

EDIT: embargo ends before sticky barb activates, working on finding the exact position
- magnet rise before embargo
- embargo before yawn

so it´s:
6.0 Ingrain
6.1 Aqua Ring
6.3 Black Sludge, Leftovers
6.4 Leech Seed
6.5 Burn, Nightmare, Poison, Poison Heal
6.7 Curse (from a Ghost)
6.9 End of Outrage, Petal Dance, Thrash
6.10 Magnet Rise
6.11 Embargo
6.12 Yawn
6.13 Sticky Barb

here are some test-results from november that may be helpful (don´t know if Obi took all of the info in this one)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1634036&postcount=453

ipl and i are going to be testing out a lot of this right now. typing as we go:

Rage
unapplies the following:
torment

does NOT unapply the following:
taunt
embargo
aqua ring
disable
leech seed

ipl killed feraligatr with a draco meteor <_<;;
we have more to test (ingrain, leech seed, disable), will edit later

Conversion2
Block was used from a faster pokemon. p2 turned into the rock type.
it fails when an attack misses

Embargo
leftovers does not work the turn embargo ends

other notes:
end of turn order: aqua ring -> leech seed -> bind

edit: disable and leech seed have been tested with rage and do not get unapplied when rage ends

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I used a SD team at Worlds this year and in testing it I noticed a couple of Weather related oddities that PBB and I will be testing hopefully tomorrow. I haven't been able to find them on any site (including this one) and every time I tell anyone about them they are just like "oh. I never knew that?" I thought with the possibility of Groudon and Kyogre being used in next years VGCs it might be wise to check these out.

Is this the right place to post the battle vids showing what I'm talking about after we get our research done soon?

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Yes, this is the place to post new research. Please post a text description as well as your video, though.

Peterko

Never give up!
other notes:
end of turn order: leftovers -> aqua ring -> leech seed -> bind

edit: Peterko, ipl were just testing and noticed that leftovers occurs before aqua ring.
how´s this a relevant test result? you didn´t even post what you used...this made me redo the test and the result is the same as yesterday

in-game double battle vs meditite & machop
milotic + venusaur
milotic used aqua ring, sludge bombed milo, CH and poisoned
next turn I leech seeded milo
order of events:
1. aqua ring restored milotic´s HP
2. milotic restored a little HP using its leftovers
3. milotic´s health is sapped by leech seed
4. milotic is hurt by poison

don´t tell me you tested leftovers and aqua ring recovery on two different pokémon? only then leftovers would come first, on the faster pokémon

also what game was it? mine is diamond...fuck gamefreak if they changed end-of-turn effects in plat.

Peterko

Never give up!
sorry if you felt offended but why would you post it if you accidentally noticed it while doing a different test and not in a test aimed at end-of-turn effects order

tested in-game platinum and I am still right...vaporeon aqua ring before lefties

so you either didn´t pay enough attention or link battles are different than in-game battles which doesn´t make sense...I say you made a mistake unless you redo the test

Peterko

Never give up!
also lucky chant protects your team from CHs for 5 turns and is not on the list

LCH "wore off" message comes after safeguard ends
LCH before clamp

will test with tailwind and wish (I bet it´s 1.3 or 1.4)

heal block before embargo
heal block after curse
heal block after clamp

heal block needs to be tested with magnet rise and outrage/petal dance confusion to find its exact position (has to be wireless/wi-fi because heal block only affects your oponent

EDIT: another move that´s not on the list yet, mist...also what about taunt & encore? I will go trough all the moves later so that we can finish this...someone who owns a darkrai (I don´t) please test bad dreams - give the target leftovers and put leech seed and curse on it, then sleep the target and use nightmare while darkrai is out...this one test should do do job

mist before tailwind
mist before safeguard
mist after reflect
mist after light screen
mist position 1.2

lucky chant after tailwind
lucky chant before wish
lucky chant position 1.5

I put heal block on the list, but need confirmation whether it´s 6.9, 6.10 or 6.11...also added the exact wording used in the game

End-of-turn effects order:

1.0 Reflect wears off: "your team´s reflect wore off"
1.1 Light Screen wears off: "your team´s light screen wore off"
1.2 Mist wears off: "your team´s mist wore off"
1.4 Tailwind ends: "your team´s tailwind petered out"
1.5 Lucky Chant: your team´s lucky chant wore off"

2.0 Wish: "pokemon´s wish came true"

5.0 Gravity

6.0 Ingrain
6.1 Aqua Ring
6.4 Leech Seed: "pokémon´s health is sapped by leech seed"
6.7 Curse (from a Ghost)
6.9 End of Outrage, Petal Dance, Thrash
6.10 Magnet Rise
6.11 Heal Block: the foe pokémon´s heal block wore off"
6.12 Embargo:
6.12 Yawn
6.13 Sticky Barb

8.0 Perish Song

9.0 Trick Room

10.1 Toxic Spikes
10.2 Spikes
10.3 Stealth Rock

Cathy

Banned deucer.
As Peterko said, somebody with a Darkrai should test Bad Dreams (using the test he outlined); I think it's the most important end of turn effect remaining.

Peterko

Never give up!
the position of heal block is 6.11, before embargo and after magnet rise

beside bad dreams there is still disable, taunt, encore and uproar...all of which are a bitch to test :/

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
EDIT: someone who owns a darkrai (I don´t) please test bad dreams - give the target leftovers and put leech seed and curse on it, then sleep the target and use nightmare while darkrai is out...this one test should do do job
Bad Dreams happens after all four events. The residual damage really added up and knocked out my target Articuno, but not before Leftovers, Leech Seed, Nightmare, and Curse.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
We'll need another test then, comparing to some of the later things in tier six (Bind and friends, etc.).

Peterko

Never give up!
yeah the next test should be slightly easier..sleep the target and use whirlpool on it (one of the 6.8 attacks in my previous post)

if bad dreams goes after 6.8, try magnet rise first, it´s easier than outrage...oh well I think it´s impossible to test bad dreams with the 6.9 group when taking into account how sleep talk works

if it´s after magnet rise, try heal block, then embargo...if before magnet rise, try encore then (read below)

also tested one of the bitch trio encore...hell, that was really bad and its position is even worse, 6.9 or 6.10

lefties, leech seed & poison before encore
curse before encore
encore before heal block
encore before magnet rise
whirlpool before encore

what´s left is the test with outrage & friends :/

EDIT: tested with 4 lv.1 gibles holding persim berries using outrage against a togepi in a wireless battle...took a while
outrage confusion before encore ended

EDIT 2:
taunt wore off after leftovers, leech seed and curse
taunt wore off after whirlpool
encore ended before taunt wore off

EDIT 3:
taunt wore off before heal block
disable "pokémon is no longer disabled" after curse
disable before heal block
disable after whirlpool
disable before taunt
uproar "pokémon caused an uproar" & "pokémon calmed down" after curse
uproar after whirlpool
uproar before disable
disable before magnet rise
uproar before encore

so uproar is where outrage is, can´t be used at the same time by the same pokémon

still to do:
- taunt with magnet rise
- disable with encore

EDIT 4:
taunt before magnet rise
disable before encore

I´m done and we´re finished after someone finds the position of bad dreams

5.0 Gravity

6.0 Ingrain
6.1 Aqua Ring
6.7 Curse (from a Ghost)
6.9 End of Outrage, Petal Dance, Thrash, Uproar: "pokémon caused an uproar" & "pokémon calmed down"
6.10 Disable ends: "pokémon is no longer disabled"
6.11 Encore ends
6.12 Taunt wears off
6.13 Magnet Rise
6.14 Heal Block: "the foe pokémon´s heal block wore off"
6.15 Embargo
6.16 Yawn
6.17 Sticky Barb

8.0 Perish Song

9.0 Trick Room

10.1 Toxic Spikes
10.2 Spikes
10.3 Stealth Rock

In Platinum, can a pokemon with No Guard ever break through Protect using a move with < 100% listed accuracy?
I tested this by having a No Guard Machamp use Dynamicpunch on a Protecting Registeel, and it never hit through (Platinum vs. Platinum Wifi and Link). Due to the fact that I could have just gotten unlucky and missed 15 times in a row, the probability of error is .003%.

In Platinum, can a pokemon who has used Mind Reader or Lock On subsequently break through Protect on the next turn using a move with < 100% listed accuracy?
I had an Articuno use Mind Reader + Blizzard on the same Registeel, and never hit through protect. The probability of error for this one is higher, at .47%.

I´m done and we´re finished after someone finds the position of bad dreams
I have a Darkrai and am willing to test the position of bad dreams, however school starts tomorrow for me, so it may have to wait until the weekend to get finished. (Edit: I had the time, and it's done.)

Hope I've Helped!

EDIT:

Things Bad Dreams goes before:
Bad Dreams is before Sticky Barb.
Bad Dreams is before Taunt wears off.
Bad Dreams is before Disable wears off.

Things Bad Dreams goes after:
Bad Dreams is after Wrap.

If a pokemon uses its last turn of Outrage and friends, and is then put to sleep, the outrage still ends, but after Bad Dreams. Thus, Bad Dreams is between Outrage and Wrap.

Note: All of my Bad Dreams testing is on Platinum vs. Platinum link battles.

The final order of events looks like this:

5.0 Gravity

6.0 Ingrain
6.1 Aqua Ring
6.7 Curse (from a Ghost)
6.9 Bad Dreams Damage
6.10 End of Outrage, Petal Dance, Thrash, Uproar: "pokémon caused an uproar" & "pokémon calmed down"
6.11 Disable ends: "pokémon is no longer disabled"
6.12 Encore ends
6.13 Taunt wears off
6.14 Magnet Rise
6.15 Heal Block: "the foe pokémon´s heal block wore off"
6.16 Embargo
6.17 Yawn
6.18 Sticky Barb

8.0 Perish Song

9.0 Trick Room

10.1 Toxic Spikes
10.2 Spikes
10.3 Stealth Rock

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mingot and I tested some weather mechanics on Platinum.

While sun, rain, and sandstorm are all active, SolarBeam has half power.

226 Atk vs 405 Def & 714 HP (60 Base Power): 25 - 30 (3.50% - 4.20%)

Turn one it did 26 damage, turn two it did 25. (Note the 60 Base Power)

We are now testing Thunder's accuracy, will edit results.

------------------

In sun, rain, and sandstorm, Thunder has 100% accuracy.

I usd Thunder against mingot's Blissey 11 times. It never missed.

-----------
Testing Uproar and Gravity mechanics with Sidd

Turn 1:
Scizor used Swords Dance
Alakazam used Trick Rooom

Turn 2:
Scizor used Pursuit
OHKO Alakazam - Activates Uproar and Gravity, also rain, sandstorm, sun, hail, fog
Switch into Togekiss

Turn 3:
Switch into Blissey
Fly is not allowed to be used (so Togekiss used Nasty Plot)
So Uproar + Gravity still active

Turn 4:
Fly is not allowed to be used
Uproar keeps Blissey awake

Turn 5:

Turn 6:
Blissey used Softboiled (had to do this or Blissey would die)

Turn 7:

Turn 8:
Blissey faints due to damage

Turn 9:
Fly IS allowed to be used

They don't last a normal amount of turns.

Re-testing to see if it's the same turn:

Turn 1:
Scizor Swords Dance
Alakazam Trick Room

Turn 2:
Pursuit - Activate glitch
Switch to Togekiss

Turn 3:
No Fly
Switch to Blissey (so Gravity and everything is active)

Turn 4:
No Fly
No Rest

Turn 5:
No fly
No rest

Turn 6
No Fly
blissey used Softboiled

turn 7:
no fly
no rest

turn 8
no fly
softboiled

turn 9
Fly worked
Blissey was kept away

turn 10
Fly hits Blissey
Blissey softboiled

turn 11
Togekiss used Roost
Blissey is unable to use Rest due to Uproar

turn 12
Togekiss used Roost
Blissey was kept awake due to Uproar
Blissey died due to damage

It seems like Uproar is permanent while Gravity has a set number of turns it stays active - though it's irregular.

I tested Conversion 2 with Porygon 2, Bronzong, and Froslass and have found the following results.

Block does activate Conversion 2, transforming the user into a type that resists / is immune to Normal typing.

I also tried the same thing out with Gastro Acid, and it did the same, with the exception of it resisting and being immune to Poison typing.

I also tried Disable on Froslass, as it is has < 100% accuracy and could be used to test out.

So, whenever Froslass used Disable on Porygon 2 and missed, Porygon 2's Conversion 2 would fail. I also tried out Froslass using Disable on Porygon 2's Tri Attack, and after Tri Attack would be disabled, I tried switching Froslass out and using Conversion 2, but it still failed. I also did the same thing again, but instead of switching Froslass out, I used a self targetting move, Endure, but it still failed.

Will edit this post when I'm finished testing out Destiny Bond on Froslass.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Thanks everybody. I updated the initial post with these results. Especially of note is that the Solarbeam result is not what Intro1827 or I predicted, so it's a good thing it was actually tested.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Raaaaaage

Turn 1:
Smeargle used Ingrain
Luvdisc used HP Ground
Smeargle absorbs nutrients

Turn 2:
Smeargle used Rage
Luvdisc used HP ground
Smeargle's Rage is building
Smeargle absorbed nutrients

Turn 3:
Smeargle used Astonich
Luvdisc usd HP Ground
Smeargle absorbed nutrients

Turn 4:
Smeargle used Ingrain but it failed
Luvdisc used Attract, Smeargle became infatuated
Absorbed nutrients

Turn 5:
Smeargle was in love with Luvdisc, Smeargle used Rage
Luvdisc used HP Ground
Absorbed nutrients

Turn 6:
Smeargle used Astonish (note, no "was in love with")
Luvdisc used Hidden Power

-----

Leafeon used Yawn
Smeargle became Drowsy and used Rage

Leafeon attacked
Smeargle used Astonish
Smeargle fell asleep

-------

Smeargle used Magnet Rise
Luvdisc used Agility

Luvdisc used Agility
Smeargle used Rage

Luvdisc used Agility
Smeargle used Astonish

Luvdisc used HP Ground, Smeargle makes ground moves levititate!
Smeargle used Astonish

----

So canceling Rage does not cancel out Ingrain, Magnet Rise, or drowsiness, however, it does cancel out infatuation.

Thanks to mingot for testing this with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)