DP Clefable

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've tested this set in UU with a fair amount of success. However, this is my first peer edit, so it is probably in need of drastic fixing. Anyway here goes...

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/clefable

[SET]
name: Bulky Drummer
move 1: Cosmic Power
move 2: Belly Drum
move 3: Softboiled
move 4: Facade / Double-Edge
item: Toxic Orb / Life Orb
nature: Adamant
ability: Magic Guard
evs: 176 hp / 252 atk / 76 spdef / 8 spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A bulkier version of the previous Belly Drum set. It loses Speed and the ability to hit Ghosts for a much better chance of setting up a Belly Drum. The aim of the set is simple; switch in Clefable on something it can force out, Cosmic Power on the switch, and keep boosting your defences until you are confident that you can pull off a Belly Drum safely. Softboiled is what sets it apart from other Belly Drummers; the ability to heal off the 50% damage with little risk to yourself, thanks to Cosmic Power, is very handy indeed. Toxic Orb is the item of choice here, both for boosting Facade's power to obscene levels and to protect Clefable from unwanted sleep, paralysis or burn. If you would prefer to do slightly more damage, using Life Orb and Double-Edge together on this set is fine. Something of note is that after a Belly Drum, the Life Orb variant actually has a guaranteed 2HKO on Steelix.</p>

<p>252 Attack EVs are mandatory on this set to pack as much power as possible. In fact, after a Belly Drum, Clefable will do a minimum of 50% to Relaxed, minimum Defense Steelix. Maxing defense looks like an attractive option at first, but it leaves you with only a slight chance of surviving a maximum Attack Life Orb Close Combat from an Adamant Hitmontop after a single Cosmic Power, so it simply isn’t worth it. With the EV’s listed above, a Choice Specs Modest Glaceon, the most powerful special attacker in UU, will do 45 – 54% damage with Ice Beam after a single Cosmic Power. Therefore, the EV’s above are designed to maximize Clefable’s walling capabilities on the special side of the spectrum without compromising its ability to tank physical hits. The 8 speed EV's are to outrun minimum speed Weezing, who can potentially Haze away your Attack boosts.</p>

<p>The element of surprise will usually net you a few surprise KOs with this set; but getting walled entirely by Steel and Ghost Pokemon can be frustrating. Thus, it is highly recommended that you pair this with support from a powerful Pursuit user. Choice Band Absol is an ideal choice for this job for its ability to Pursuit Ghost-types and does 64% on average to Relaxed Steelix with Superpower. Absol's ability to lure in Fighting-type Pokemon and OHKO them with Psycho Cut can also aid in Clefable setting up later in the game. If you dislike Absol's frailty, then Drapion is also a fine choice as a Pursuit user. You lose the ability to defeat Steelix, but in return you gain the ability to switch into battle much more easily. There is no "better choice" in terms of a Pursuiter, it is all up to personal preference. </p>

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
MS, are you serious? What the hell is that title ~_~. DP Clefable would suffice. Silly Aussie :D. Terrible set name too. How is this set not called Bulky Drummer? Really How? That needs to be fixed immediately. Anyway, I've seen this used against me so I know it's a good set (maybe it was you on an alt). Put spaces between your slashes too. Now time to correct this monstrosity you call a "peer edit." I made some edits / changes / suggestions.

[SET]
name: Bulky Drummer
move 1: Cosmic Power
move 2: Belly Drum
move 3: Softboiled
move 4: Facade / Double-Edge
item: Toxic Orb / Life Orb
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Adamant
evs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A bulkier version of the previous Belly Drum set. It loses Speed and the ability to hit Ghosts for a much better chance of setting up a Belly Drum. The aim of the set is simple; switch in Clefable on something it can force out, Cosmic Power on the switch, and keep boosting your defences until you are confident that you can pull off a Belly Drum safely. Softboiled is what sets it apart from other Belly Drummers; the ability to heal off the 50 % damage with little risk to yourself, thanks to Cosmic Power, is very handy indeed. Toxic Orb is the item of choice here, both for boosting Facade's power to obscene levels and to protect Clefable from unwanted Sleep , Paralysis or Burn. If you would prefer to do slightly more damage, Life Orb and Double-Edge is also an option on this set. Something of note is that after a Belly Drum, the Life Orb variant actually has a guaranteed 2HKO on Steelix.</p>
<p>252 Attack EVs are mandatory on this set to pack as much power as possible. In fact, after a Belly Drum, Clefable will do a minimum of 50% to Relaxed, minimum Defense Steelix. Maxing defense looks like an attractive option at first, but it leaves you with only a slight chance of surviving a maximum Attack Life Orb Close Combat from an Adamant Hitmontop, so it simply isn’t worth it. Even with maximum Special Defense, a Choice Specs Modest Glaceon, the most powerful special attacker in UU, will do (convert to percentage) damage with Ice Beam after a single Cosmic Power. With no Special Defensive EVs, Clefable takes (convert to percentage) in damage, meaning that you are 2HKO’d regardless of your EV spread. Therefore, the EV’s above are designed to maximize Clefable’s walling capabilities on both sides of the spectrum </p>
Convert those damage numbers to percentages where my parenthesis are. I'm lazy otherwise I'd do it myself (sorry ), but people care about % damage not actual damage.

<p>The element of surprise will usually net you a few surprise KOs with this set; but getting walled entirely by Steel and Ghost Pokemon can be frustrating. Thus, it is highly recommended that you pair this with support from a powerful Pursuit user. Choice Band Absol is an ideal choice for this job for its ability to Pursuit Ghost types and does 64% on average to Relaxed Steelix with Superpower. Absol's ability to lure in Fighting type Pokemon and OHKO them with Psycho Cut and also aid in Clefable setting up later in the game.</p>
Yeah, I kinda rewrote that part entirely :/

Nice Job MS =D. I'll let Shiki / Servant / whoever come along and fix my problems now.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Toxic Orb and Facade over LO and Double Edge.

The damage loss is very neglible when considering all the damage you will pile up on yourself (if Double Edge OHKOs a 300 Hlth pokemon, you receive 100 damage plus LO recoil. This does not include any damage you are likely to incur as a result of your low speed (an attack done on Clefable before she attacks, and one before you softboil the recoil).

The ability to not be shut down by sleep, burn and even freeze and paraylsis is too much to give away, especially when one is easily walled by ghosts (and aggron and probobpass).

Overall, it's a good Clefable, a powerful late game decider. But it needs Pursuit support for the forementioned ghosts. If you get in a Cosmic Power as Glaceon swaps in, you're fine, but Fighting pokemon are troublesome; they need to be eliminated soon.

Toxic Orb and Facade over LO and Double Edge.

The damage loss is very neglible when considering all the damage you will pile up on yourself (if Double Edge OHKOs a 300 Hlth pokemon, you receive 100 damage plus LO recoil. This does not include any damage you are likely to incur as a result of your low speed (an attack done on Clefable before she attacks, and one before you softboil the recoil).

The ability to not be shut down by sleep, burn and even freeze and paraylsis is too much to give away, especially when one is easily walled by ghosts (and aggron and probobpass).

Overall, it's a good Clefable, a powerful late game decider. But it needs Pursuit support for the forementioned ghosts. If you get in a Cosmic Power as Glaceon swaps in, you're fine, but Fighting pokemon are troublesome; they need to be eliminated soon.
Magic Guard prevents Recoil.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Thanks Caelum, I'll edit your changes in. I screwed up a few calculations though, so fixing the EV's.

EDIT: One question though, Absol's frailness is what made me list Drapion as an option. What are your opinions as to its viability. Thanks for the Absol suggestion though, now that I look at it, it is indeed a worthy option.

P.S How can you not like alliteration in a title? ^_^

EDIT2: Fixed, noob BK :).

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Speaking of silly: Sleep, Burn, Paralysis and Poison are never capitalized. ;)

Again, here's your reference.
This is obviously a conspiracy by the silly Aussies against me.

Anyway. My serious post was to ask MS whether or not running 8 Speed EVs is reasonable to consider on Clefable? I was thinking for your ability to outrun minimum Speed Weezing if it has Haze but maybe that's unjustified since 13% of Weezing use Haze in UU. Just a thought.

Stallion

Tree Young
Yeah, I haven't encountered any Weezing with Haze, so I completely forgot about it :(. It is definately worth running 8 spd ev's over special defense; not like its gonna change the percentages drastically.

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A bulkier version of the previous Belly Drum set. Clefable loses Speed and the ability to hit Ghosts for a much better chance of setting up a Belly Drum. The aim of the set is simple; switch in Clefable on something it can force out, Cosmic Power on the switch, and keep boosting your defences until you are confident that you can pull off a Belly Drum safely. Softboiled is what sets it apart from other Belly Drummers; the ability to heal off the 50% (removed space) damage with little risk to yourself, thanks to Cosmic Power, is very handy indeed. Toxic Orb is the item of choice here, both for boosting Facade's power to obscene levels and to protect Clefable from unwanted sleep, paralysis or burn. If you would prefer to do slightly more damage, using Life Orb and Double-Edge together on this set is fine (before it didn't sound as though you had to use them together, and if you used Life Orb + Facade accidently thinking only do 67%~ damage of Toxic Orb + Facade). Something of note is that after a Belly Drum, the Life Orb variant actually has a guaranteed 2HKO on Steelix.</p>

<p>252 Attack EVs are mandatory on this set to pack as much power as possible. In fact, after a Belly Drum, Clefable will do a minimum of 50% to Relaxed, minimum Defense Steelix. Maxing Defense looks like an attractive option at first, but it leaves you with only a slight chance of surviving a maximum Attack Life Orb Close Combat from an Adamant Hitmontop after a single Cosmic Power, so it simply isn't worth it. With the EV’s listed above, a Choice Specs Modest Glaceon, the most powerful special attacker in UU, will do 45 – 54% (removed space) damage with Ice Beam after a single Cosmic Power. Therefore, the EV’s above are designed to maximize Clefable’s walling capabilities on the special side of the spectrum without compromising its ability to tank physical hits. The 8 speed EV's (single apostrophe not speech marks) are to outrun minimum speed Weezing, who can potentially Haze away your Attack boosts.</p>

<p>The element of surprise will usually net you a few surprise KOs with this set; but getting walled entirely by Steel and Ghost Pokemon can be frustrating. Thus, it is highly recommended that you pair this with support from a powerful Pursuit user. Choice Band Absol is an ideal choice for this job for its ability to Pursuit Ghost-types and does 64% on average to Relaxed Steelix with Superpower. Absol's ability to lure in Fighting-type Pokémon and OHKO them with Psycho Cut can also aid in Clefable setting up later in the game.</p>
Nice work MS :D

Caelum

qibz official stalker
Mention Drapion if you want MS. Either is fine. I've just always liked Absol randomly -_-.

Stallion

Tree Young
editized :). Also added the option of a Drapion as a pursuit user. Thanks for all the good feedback and help guys!

Caelum

qibz official stalker
Alright, this has been almost up for a week and since posted I've seen a good number of these show up in UU matches. If no one has any objections, I'm going to load this in a few hours (unless MS wants the honors of doing his first peer edit lol).

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Er... is it alright if I add something? I actually remember a set extremely similar (almost exact copy) to this from a long time ago, it was originally created by SubVersion for use in OU. His EVs and Nature were, Impish, 252 HP / 46 Atk / 212 Def to set up on a Scarf Chomp's Outrage, and same Moveset except Facade and Toxic Orb was a definite. I was actually going to make a peer edit on this set until I found out it was already made and I lost the element of surprise on my Clefable ._. . Sorry if that wasn't helpful or anything, I just wanted to add that in.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
Well, I doubt this is ever going to be used in ubers and it's place in UU is probably best.

Stallion

Tree Young
edit: ok i put it on there and clicked add but it hasnt shown up, does it have to be approved by site staff or something cause everytime i view it in SCMS i can see it but on the main page i can't.

edit2: ahhk it isnt cached yet, understood

Caelum

qibz official stalker
lol, MS is such an SCMS rook.

Could a mod kindly move this to the PE Archive? This is on site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)