Metagame Doubles UU

Status
Not open for further replies.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
We have a usage shift this month. Here are the changes for DUU:

Celesteela moved from DUU to DOU
Ninetales-Alola moved from DUU to DOU

Comfey moved from DOU to DUU
Kingdra moved from DOU to DUU
Nihilego moved from DOU to DUU

Celesteela and Alola Tales have both risen no doubt in direct connection with Landorus-I recently becoming one of the best mons in dou. Celesteela being gone opens up the question of what the best Pokemon in the tier is, and ladder will have to use Abomasnow and ice cream on their mono ice teams now. Comfey makes its routine move back down, but Kingdra and Nihilego are both very interesting additions. Nihilego has far fewer checks in DUU than it does in DOU, especially with Celesteela gone. Kingdra may enable rain being a good playstyle again, as it is easily the best swift swimmer in the format now. We will do a VR vote soon, and I plan to have updated samples for DPL.

With Doubles World Cup finally over, it's time to look at what DUU tournaments and events will take place in 2022. As many of you know, DWCOP was tough for me mentally, and I have had a bit of time since it finished to think of what the future holds for me in regards to Pokemon. I have decided to postpone DUU circuit planning until after the upcoming DPL, in which I will sign up to hopefully play some DUU. I would like to refocus my priorities involving Pokemon, and I want to get back to a place where I enjoy Pokemon and can use it both as a brain workout and a way to socialize with like minded people. I am hoping that enjoying DPL as a player (or more likely as a cheerleader), not as a manager or host, will help me get back to that place. Sorry to get personal in the DUU thread, I just wanted to give everyone an update on where DUU (and myself) are as of right now. And don't worry, I plan to have at least two DUU cash prize tournaments in 2022, with more if a full circuit can be planned out.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Some news before I get into the VR update: Demantoid, who has been on the VR council for quite some time, has decided to step down. Thanks for all your hard work over the years! In their place, please welcome RelicanthPrimal to the team! A newer user by doubles standards but they've been a welcome addition to the community and will be very helpful as part of the DUU VR council. After the upcoming DUU Swiss tour that you should all sign up for, we will do a lower tier sweep as well as any other VR changes that come up. I have updated the sample teams post, but I still would like to have more recent teams on there, so please send me any teams that you like or post them in this thread.

Naganadel: Tier 2 -> Tier 1:
  • N10sit: Yeah I think this is tier 1, really good at enabling stuff and is a strong attacker in its own right.
  • Lord death man: my nom
  • Actuarily: On the fence but I will say Tier 1. It has poor matchups into sand, Psyspam, and Spectrier, but in those matchups it can just set TW for its teammates. In other matchups it’s an extremely dangerous offensive threat, and has just enough bulk to be t1 worthy.
  • Nido-Rus: Tier 1, has been one of the most dominating mons in the tier so far, very strong combination of offensive pressure, utility, and typing.

Omastar: UR -> Tier 5:
  • N10sit: UR still, but only because we have Kingdra now which creates even more competition for swift swimmers. Come to think of it, Nihilego kind of out-classes this mon too. I would’ve voted 5 if we had gotten around to this vote before now, sorry ldm :(
  • Actuarily: Tier 5 is fine. It has value as a swift swimmer due to its high special attack, but with the king(dra) of rain returning its opportunity cost goes way up now. It’s likely the 4th swift swimmer you should consider behind Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Seismitoad.
  • Nido-Rus: me vs n10 trauma moment. I’d still say tier 5, much harder competition but still has enough niche value as a breaker in rain.

Comfey: NEW -> Tier ???:
  • N10sit: 4, this mon is good and has multiple viable sets. I’ve been a long time Comfey hater but I think it is time to respect this mon
  • Lord death man: 5, I think priority healing is extremely good rn but I also think that draining kiss is extremely weak - for example, you need a boosting item to always 2hko kingdra.
  • Actuarily: Tier 4. I know this Pokémon can often seem like a ladder gimmick favorite, but in this meta with the amount of dragon and dark types, it’s actually able to avoid being a complete offensive dud while still fulfilling its role of priority healer + speed control.
  • Nido-Rus: Don’t have any DUU experience with this so I can’t comment on it, abstain

Kingdra: NEW -> Tier ???:
  • N10sit: 3 is fine. I’m not sure where rain stands yet, but its Kingdra.
  • Lord death man: 3.
  • Actuarily: Tier 3. Rain is really strong in this format as long as you have answers to Bulu and other weather types, but the fact that basically every team has one of Bulu or another weather does mean there are checks everywhere.
  • Nido-Rus: Tier 3, kingdra is kingdra, I can easily see this rising to tier 2

Nihilego: NEW -> Tier ???:
  • N10sit: Tier 2, Actuarily sums this up well. Deals with a lot of stuff very well and synergizes with Indeedee and Tapu Bulu, as well as fitting on rain.
  • Lord death man: 2, this is one of the easiest things to fit on a team.
  • Actuarily: Tier 2. Extremely offensive and can easily snowball, as well as being able to outspeed and ohko a lot of top threats means this will be a mon teams have to prepare for. It’s bad matchups into rain and sand, as well as mons like Krookodile and steel-types hold it back from Tier 1.
  • Nido-Rus: Tier 2, very solid threat with a great speed tier for this meta, but weather is annoying and weather is common

Results
Naganadel: Tier 2 -> Tier 1
Omastar: UR -> Tier 5
Comfey: NEW -> Tier 4
Kingdra: NEW -> Tier 3
Nihilego: NEW -> Tier 2

Last edited:

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Aromatisse UR > 5. One of the best utility TR setters, has a unique type and a taunt immunity (for it and its partner, so you can switch it in on a taunt/encore/whatever), a big utility movepool, and STAB Moonblast.

Volcarona 2 > 5. This is so bad.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
Gastrodon moved from DUU to DOU
Milotic moved from DUU to DOU

Blastoise moved from DOU to DUU
Zapdos-Galar moved from DOU to DUU

Fairly insignificant rises, Coil Milo was good but had plenty of checks. Blastoise ends Wartortle's usage, and I've gone ahead and replaced Wartortle in tier 3 with Blastoise, but we will still vote on it. Zapdos-Galar is very interesting, a strong pokemon with a usable scarf and life orb set, and is really the first pokemon DUU has had this gen that really will make you think about having too much intimidate, as Zap-G dunks on Scrafty and Krookodile. After DPL, all of the resources will be brought up to date as best I can.

Alright my team has been eliminated from dpl, so time to team-dump and post my thoughts on meta.

First I do want to give a big shoutout to the Squirtles, despite the season not going as well as we would have liked, it was still great talking and playing with the oldest dpl team in history (Dnager nonwithstanding). Also big thanks to Xrn and Dnager for testing with me, and Memo for overpaying for me.

Overall I think this dpl showed the downfall of traditional “goodstuffs” teams that have typically done well, and instead “theme-focused” (dishonest as Memo calls them) teams rose to the top. Weather/fullroom/stall have all been parts of DUU this gen, but they’ve often fallen to your typical Krook-Naga-Bulu offense teams, or your Victini semirooms. The opposite happened in this DPL, and so I expect to see more “theme-focused” teams in the future.

Here was my dpl experience:
Week 1 vs Lord Death Man: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesuu-1529495843
Team: https://pokepast.es/f9f294c1aba3b0ba
:Lurantis: :Wartortle: :Nihilego: :Krookodile: :Victini: :Tapu-Bulu:

This game was a tragedy of errors in the builder. This was my first game with Nihilego in DUU, and I had a brain-fart moment and brought psychic Victini instead of psyshock, which made it extremely difficult to get past Nihi so I could pull off my Lurantis sweep. I also changed Krook to adamant instead of jolly as there was “no reason to be Jolly”, which means I couldn’t get off my turn 1 snarl before a scarf Regidrago ohko’d my Krook.

I wouldn’t recommend this team going forward as it’s really bad into Zapdos-Galar.

Week 2 vs Yellow Paint:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesuu-1533043447
Team: https://pokepast.es/65ad63baf4740de9
:Krookodile: :Naganadel: :Tapu-Bulu: :Primarina: :Victini: :Scizor:

This week I tried a bunch of concepts I had thought of before the season, and none of them were quite panning out, so I decided to just go with a traditional Krook-Naga-Bulu offense team, this one even had a TR component. This team is very solid, and no way should it lose to Psyspam, but unfortunately I didn’t play well and lost this week as well. In hindsight I thought I had it won and rushed my plays at the end, when I definitely should have thought through my positioning more. Turn 6 should have been a high horsepower + sludge bomb into the indeedee slot, guaranteeing me a ko and Naga restoring back to full speed with beast boost to outspeed and set TW.

Week 3 vs Mishimono:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesuu-1539492549
Team: https://pokepast.es/66963dadd3c2ca5b
:Victini: :Lurantis: :Gigalith: :Oranguru: :Scrafty: :Tapu-Bulu:

Going into this one, the scout on Mishi was that they love the Krook-Naga-Bulu offense type of teams (which has been very successful for them), so I spent a good part of this week trying to build hail. However I couldn’t ever find a Hail team that I really liked, so I ditched it and decided to go for fullroom. I put together a couple of really cool fullroom options, but decided to go with this one that isn’t necessarily fullroom in the traditional sense; it has two scarf mons. Lurantis is able to get off multiple superpowers very easily on this team, and from there you can just grassy glide stuff. Scarf Bulu is really helpful here in preventing roar suicune from phazing out your attempts to set TR while also enabling Lurantis.

I think I played this one decently, I knew that AV Lurantis takes a sludge bomb from Naga so i was able to stay on the offensive in what looked like a bad position, and ultimately was able to get my first win.

Week 4 vs Relicanthprimal:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1545412034
Team: https://pokepast.es/2d1f57ec81cf775c
:Primarina: :Mudsdale: :Entei: :Zarude-Dada: :Cresselia: :Naganadel:

This was a matchup from hell. I knew Relicanthprimal bringing fatmons/stall was a possibility as they had done it before, but my main breaker to that archetype was Mudsdale... who just couldn’t handle rain + ferro and all the mons it had to beat. I still think my team is solid, scarf naga is a really cool anti-weather mon as it beats dracozolt & Kingdra even in their respective weathers. Mudsdale is underexplored, as it beats many anti-TR mons, wish I could have given it a better showing. But props to Relicanthprimal and the Ducks, they did a fantastic job this week.

Week 5 vs Z Strats:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesuu-1550660685
Team: https://pokepast.es/1d164e83e649ff90
:Aromatisse: :Tapu-Bulu: :Reuniclus: :Scrafty: :Gigalith: :Dracozolt:

Decided that with the way things had been going, a dishonest team was the best bet. Ultimately this game didn’t matter, and that’s why Z Strats brought mono-dragon... Mono teams are sneaky good, I swear. Anyway I knew they’d double lead their dragon-poison mons to prevent Aromatisse from getting up TR, so I figured I’d trade with one, and lock the other at -2 spa after using Draco to take out my Zolt. Critting the Kommo and missing the Dragalgae with rock slide was super unfortunate, because it meant I didn’t get a free switch into Aromatisse with Kommo and a choice locked Dragalge on the field, and I couldn’t chip the dragalge for later. Ultimately I could never get Aromatisse on the field until it was too late and lost this one.

Despite it being a disappointing DPL, I still had a lot of fun and learned a lot about some of the oldgens that I’ll definitely be putting to work in classic. DUU is still a blast and I’m excited to get to play some more of it hopefully soon.

Yoda edit: added sprites for teams

Last edited by a moderator:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
I'm going to share some VR news, and then try to outline the plan for DUU going forward. First lets do the VR moves:

Aromatisse: UR -> Tier 5:
  • N10sit: hard agree aromatisse is good
  • Actuarily: Tier 5. Very reliable TR setter due to its bulk & ability, and isn’t weak to common anti-TR attacks like dark & ghost. However it struggles to do much once it sets TR, but it does have some cool support options.
  • Nido-Rus: Abstain, haven’t seen enough
  • RelicanthPrimal: dont think its very good but has a niche so t5 seems fair

Volcarona: Tier 2 -> Tier 5:
  • N10sit: 5 is a little egregious lol but i am okay with moving this down to tier 3, i think it is still a usable sweeper it just has a lot of unfavorable matchups. Maybe having blastoise will make this pokemon slightly better?
  • Actuarily: Tier 4. Recent drops of Nihilego & Zapdos-Galar are bad for it, and it’s bad into weather. It’s best set is probably the ragepowder & tailwind set, especially since its one of the best will-o-wisp users in the tier.
  • Nido-Rus: Agreed with n10sit, I was messing with it recently and it was still very usable, esp the support set. QD has been hard to justify with sand and semiroom everywhere, but support can still put in work. Could honestly be either better or worse- support set loses a niche as a redirector, QD gets a really solid redirector to work with.
  • RelicanthPrimal: yea i think its pretty weak tier 4 or 5

Blastoise: Tier 3* -> Tier ???: (Blastoise is currently in tier 3, replacing Wartortle. Is tier 3 correct for it?)
  • N10sit: im personally fine with tier 3, i dont think it belongs in 2 and it’d be one of the best pokemon in tier 4
  • Lord death man: 3 seems right, its just wartortle without the scrafty speed tie and roar, both of which are good but dont actually change much
  • Actuarily: Tier 3 is perfect. Good as a support mon on set-up teams.
  • Nido-Rus: Continue with tier 3, has minor improvements over wartortle but nothing overtly significant enough to move it up a tier
  • RelicanthPrimal: agree with nido points

Zapdos-Galar: NEW -> Tier ???:
  • N10sit: I took a long time to think about this on purpose. I am going to say Zapdos-G should be tier 2 because of how it I think reenables psyspam hyper offense as a scarf option and how positive it is into Scrafty and Krookodile since one of those two are on 75% of teams. I also think that the meta could very well adapt to this and Zapdos-G will find a more permanent home in tier 3, but for now I think it is reasonable to be tier 2.
  • Lord death man: 3? honestly having some difficulty placing this; I really dont think its THAT much better than terrakion.
  • Actuarily: Tier 2, easily one of the best partners for both Psyspam & Spectrier, as most counters to those are dark type intimidators like Krookodile & Scrafty, or Bulu. It really only struggles into weather & fullroom, otherwise it’s a force. Might give a resurgence to some mons that haven’t been seeing as much usage as you’d expect like Spectrier (as a partner), and Thundurus (as a counter).
  • Nido-Rus: Tentative 3, looks like a solid fast fighting type, but slower than nihi/naga and somewhat frail. Also unsure how well it’ll do in a format with so much semiroom. Still has great matchups against a lot of the meta, and probably decimates stall.
  • RelicanthPrimal: tier 2 prob cuz intim rly common and it has 2 120bp stabs the scarf set can chunk other sets could be decent too

Results:
Aromatisse: UR -> Tier 5
Volcarona: Tier 2 -> Tier 4
Blastoise: Wartortle was tier 3 -> Remain tier 3
Zapdos-Galar: NEW -> Tier 2

Once DPL wraps up, I will try to do a retrospective post on DUU in DPL, and I will update the sample teams with all of the best teams I can find, and we will address the question of is the VR representative of the current meta (if no, we will do a mass vote to reshape it) ((and for what its worth I do think the current VR is mostly accurate)). Once that is done I would like to have a big tournament in June, hopefully in the unofficial tournaments forum, with a decent cash prize. There are things going on for me irl currently that could get in the way of some of this stuff, but we will hopefully be all good.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
Hello! With the conclusion of DPL, the DUU VR council has done a full VR vote to make sure we have as good of a picture of the metagame as we can on the Viability Rankings. I also still need teams for the samples, so those of you who played DUU in DPL should post your teams itt :blobthumbsup:

PS. Signups for DUU cash prize tour coming soon...

PokemonCurrent Tiern10sitLord Death ManActuarilyNido-RusRelicanthPrimalResult
Naganadel1111111
Spectrier1112121
Gigalith2222212
Indeedee-M2222222
Kyurem2233243
Nihilego2242242
Tapu Bulu2121222
Tornadus-I2322333
Scrafty2222222
Victini2222222
Zapdos-Galar2222222
Arcanine3333343
Blastoise3333343
Cresselia3333333
Dracozolt3332323
Excadrill3333333
Kingdra3333323
Kommo-o3454555
Krookodile3333333
Politoed3333323
Primarina3343333
Thundurus-I3443444
Togekiss3554555
Aegislash4URUR45URUR
Azumarill44UR55UR5
Comfey44UR55UR5
Ferrothorn4433444
Glastrier45UR45UR5
Hydreigon45555UR5
Lurantis4444334
Moltres-Galar4434444
Ninetales4444554
Scizor4UR43555
Suicune4URUR55URUR
Sylveon45UR44UR5
Terrakion4545455
Venusaur4344344
Volcarona4455455
Araquanid5UR55555
Aromatisse5555555
Chansey5554444
Corviknight5URUR55URUR
Clefairy5555555
Dusclops55UR55UR5
Entei5URUR5URURUR
Latias5URURURURURUR
Latios5UR55URURUR
Ludicolo5URUR5555
Marowak-Alola5UR55URURUR
Mimikyu55URUR5URUR
Omastar5URURURURURUR
Pheromosa555UR545
Regidrago55545UR5
Seismitoad5URUR4UR5UR
Thundurus-T5URUR4UR5UR
Toxapex5555555
Weezing-Galar5454555
Zarude5554URUR5
CinderaceUR555555
RegisteelUR544444

Results
Kyurem: Tier 2 -> Tier 3
Tornadus-I: Tier 2 -> Tier 3
Kommo-o: Tier 3 -> Tier 5
Thundurus-I: Tier 3 -> Tier 4
Togekiss: Tier 3 -> Tier 5
Aegislash: Tier 4 -> UR
Azumarill: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Comfey: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Glastrier: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Hydreigon: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Scizor: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Suicune: Tier 4 -> UR
Sylveon: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Terrakion: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Volcarona: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Chansey: Tier 5 -> Tier 4
Corviknight: Tier 5 -> UR
Entei: Tier 5 -> UR
Latias: Tier 5 -> UR
Latios: Tier 5 -> UR
Marowak-Alola: Tier 5 -> UR
Mimikyu: Tier 5 -> UR
Omastar: Tier 5 -> UR
Seismitoad: Tier 5 -> UR
Thundurus-T: Tier 5 -> UR
Cinderace: UR -> Tier 5
Registeel: UR -> Tier 4

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
hello everyone its me Lord Death Man and these are the teams i used in dpl

week 1
:butterfree: :scizor: :spectrier: :regidrago: :nihilego: :tapu-bulu:
Butterfree @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Rage Powder
- Tailwind
- Pollen Puff

Scizor @ Metal Coat
Ability: Technician
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Protect

Spectrier @ Life Orb
Ability: Grim Neigh
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Snarl
- Protect

Regidrago @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dragon's Maw
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Energy
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Explosion

Nihilego @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 84 Def / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Protect

the basis of this team is that i like butterfree a lot for its ability to enable setup, and i like the idea of using several setup sweepers that also happen to be decently reliably on their own merits to handle weather. the truth is that this team kind of gets dunked on by both rain and sand unless i'm playing at 100%, but thankfully i faced semi room.

week 2
:gigalith: :dracozolt: :ferrothorn: :victini: :indeedee: :scrafty:
Gigalith @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Dracozolt @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- High Horsepower

Ferrothorn @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Curse
- Protect

Victini @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 120 SpA / 112 SpD
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Expanding Force
- Trick Room
- Protect

Indeedee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Protect

Scrafty @ Roseli Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 44 Def / 80 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Coaching

fun sand semi-room team i made a long time ago that i keep using. tr victini is ev'd to live a kingdra muddy water in rain (i think lo?) which helps keep the MU winnable. just a decent mix of good mons with lots of tools to handle some anti-weather options.

week 3
:arcanine: :kommo-o: :chansey: :weezing-galar: :cresselia: :registeel:
Arcanine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Bulletproof
Timid Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Healer
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Pulse
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Weezing-Galar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Strange Steam
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

Cresselia (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Stored Power
- Icy Wind

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Amnesia
- Protect

this was my original take on stall, registeel and cress are amazing setup sweepers and kommo-o has a good set of resists to help glue the team together despite looking extremely out of place (body press loses hard to spectrier, and kommo-o is partly here as a spec check). overall i think this is a stall team that could work with only 4 members (arc, chansey, cress, weezing-g) and the other 2 can be essentially anything, so looking for either setup sweepers or offensive threats that fit the team is the main idea. kommo and registeel are good at using taking advantage of what the rest of the team offers so i used it, but it could easily be moltres, corviknight, skarmory, keldeo, suicune, etc. anything not ability reliant that can set up, really.

week 4
:ninetales: :charizard: :tornadus: :exeggutor: :indeedee: :terrakion:
Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Heat Wave
- Energy Ball
- Protect

Charizard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Scorching Sands

Tornadus (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Protect

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Expanding Force
- Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Indeedee (M) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Protect
- Imprison
- Trick Room

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Substitute
- Protect

exeggutor + indeedee seemed heat in my mind but i really just completely lucked my way to a win. i think terrakion is underrated.

week 5
:politoed: :kingdra: :indeedee: :victini: :tornadus: :excadrill:
Politoed @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Indeedee (M) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Imprison
- Trick Room
- Protect

Victini @ Assault Vest
Ability: Victory Star
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Glaciate
- U-turn
- Blue Flare

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Tailwind
- Protect

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- High Horsepower
- Swords Dance
- Protect

victini probably looks extremely strange on rain, but psyspam + rain has great synergy and victini was chosen over other psyspam options for its access to fire moves, which really help handle ferrothorn, which is otherwise a huge pain for any rain team. victini could also opt to run thunder or a grass move, i just didnt feel it was necessary with celesteela, milotic, and gastrodon all DOU.

week 6
:cofagrigus: :lurantis: :tapu-bulu: :aromatisse: :scrafty: :oranguru:
Cofagrigus @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Mummy
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Toxic Spikes

Lurantis @ Assault Vest
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 40 SpD
Brave Nature
- Superpower
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Tapu Bulu @ Iron Ball
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Aromatisse @ Kebia Berry
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Pulse
- Encore
- Trick Room

Scrafty @ Eject Pack
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Oranguru @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Instruct
- Foul Play
- Yawn

lurantis trick room. not really much to say

tiebreak 1
:latios: :tornadus: :blastoise: :linoone: :tapu-bulu: :hitmontop:
Latios (M) @ Haban Berry
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire
- Protect

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Protect

Blastoise @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 240 HP / 108 Def / 96 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Fake Out
- Flip Turn
- Follow Me
- Roar

Linoone @ Mago Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 92 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Close Combat
- Nature's Madness

Hitmontop (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 16 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Feint
- Helping Hand

i somehow convinced myself that linoone was a good mon that would have good matchups vs most of the tier; the evs always live a specs indeedee eforce on linoone, which means that you generally can set up up vs everything else (who uses specs?). this was originally going to be azumarill i think but was like wait linoone has mostly better MUs.

finals
:arcanine: :moltres-galar: :chansey: :weezing-galar: :cresselia: :registeel:
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

Moltres-Galar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 248 HP / 120 SpA / 140 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fiery Wrath
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Protect

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Healer
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Pulse
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Weezing-Galar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Strange Steam
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

Cresselia (F) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Stored Power
- Icy Wind

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Amnesia
- Protect

we've already seen this team, but honestly molt-g just offers more than kommo-o; thunder wave on chansey gives this team cheese potential it otherwise wouldnt have.

tiebreak 2
:hippowdon: :dracozolt: :skarmory: :tapu-bulu: :blastoise: :arcanine:
Hippowdon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 112 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- High Horsepower
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
EVs: 232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Skarmory @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 120 SpD / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Roost
- Tailwind
- Spikes

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- High Horsepower
- Nature's Madness

Blastoise @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 176 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Follow Me
- Flip Turn
- Roar

EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 56 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Snarl
- Toxic
- Protect

some sort of sand hazard stack balance, i went through a lot of weird revisions the day before bringing this but i was pretty confident about it being able to do stuff; in hindsight i think blastoise should really be primarina so that the rain MU is more winnable, and arcanine should be scrafty to get fake out back on the team. i was just paranoid about offensive torn and other weird stuff honestly. grassy seed utility skarm is cool and i wish i couldve gotten a win here, but i didnt.

stuff i like;
:butterfree:
the utility butterfree offers as a redirector honestly feels about equal to togekiss, but sleep and pollen puff just make it really annoying in the right match up, and the ability to corner bulkier builds with sleep feels super underrated.

:kommo-o:
setting this thing up can be very difficult, but i dont think there's really any sort of offensive threat quite like clang right now; being a decent check to spectrier is also huge for an offensive setup sweeper. flamethrower, aura sphere, close combat (for gigalith), and flash cannon can all be used in the third slot.

:moltres-galar:
i think this is a massively overlooked threat right, air slash/hurricane sets are sort of meh but nasty plot + agility sets are able to run over so many variants of offense with just a little bit of support, its one of the like three viable offensive spectrier answers, and it has a pretty decent matchup into stall and trick room.

:chansey:
i didnt get the chance to use it, but rock slide + thunder wave is cancer and adds another dimension to possible chansey sets. for being such a one-note mon, chansey is surprisingly versatile thanks to its huge movepool, being able to run rocks, life dew, heal pulse, icy wind, whatever while also being a wincon of sorts just due to its absurd bulk.

:registeel:
just a god-tier wincon

stuff i dont like
:ninetales:
sun feels awful and ninetales is like 90% of the reason why, its just an awful mon that provides so little utility over the other weather setters that sun feels matchup fishy on the best day

:azumarill:
this meta is so ridicuously harsh to azu that its not hard to see why it was barely used, it struggles with both terrain setters, naga, blastoise, dracozolt, kingdra (kind of), sun in general, and if you're going to learn into supporting it, linoone is stronger. maybe LO or AV azu could be good, but i didnt bother trying it out - ive thought abotu band as well, which is very similar to specs primarina but prio > spread (tho spread is why you use specs primarina)

:arcanine:
idk whats up with this mon but i feel like it never accomplishes whatever its trying to accomplish anymore, the meta feels so bad for it. band might be alright, and howl sets *seem* interesting, but ive never seen either used so i cant comment on that.

Relicanth Primal DPL 8 Writeup (annual or semi-annual tryhard post)

Holy fuck what a run. I wasn't even sure I was going to get drafted since I didn't do any tryouts, it was 6 slots and near the end some more good players signed up (tho some ended up deleting). In retrospect there wasn't that many DUU players tho any SS main that is a builder type could do decent easily. I thought If I got drafted it was most likely going to be SMB and then maybe Zstrats or Tenzai. SMB ended up drafting me for a whopping 6.5k and the rest is history.

In-team I tried to act a bit as a vice manager giving macro thoughts on how to prep for specific opponents and I think my calls were pretty good overall. After my DWCOP experience, seeing other top players prep I realized I was already around that level and DPL just helped solidify that. Main thing I need to improve is not letting the pressure get to me. I am pretty satisfied with my results going 4-0 at one point although going 0-3 in my last 3 games wasn't great. All my losses were due to some misplay with a dash of bad luck but I had a great time regardless and learned a good bit.

Prep Summary: The way I prep’d involved not much testing, mostly a lot of brainstorming with SMB. For all reg season games I only tested shortly before the game. For finals ofc more effort I tried testing different team ideas more and testing before the game day. I ended up using rain or sand every week in duu and while I lost my last 3 I dont think it had to do with using weather, weather just feels super strong there. Rip hail, killed by DOU sample.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regular season

Week 1 vs Mishimono

Game:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesuu-1529952808

Team:

https://pokepast.es/31bb1c3c593b46be

Prep:

Week 1 I had some ideas for my typical agro stuff but wasn't too sure about anything. From the kickoff scout it looked he used a few mons mainly and also weirdly mold breaker exca which is just bad since sand is common, which made going sand seem safer. I kinda doubted he could get that approved in DPL and that ended up being the case. SMB thought pex was very good vs him and since I was unsure what to use we ended up going with a team he built, my only change was adding poison jab to scrafty which I would go on to use in all 3 of my scrafty teams.

Fite:

Going into the game I was rather nervous since it was my first DPL game and with a team style I was not used to. The matchup looked quite annoying since they had exca which threatened so much. I made sure to set tspikes as early as possible to win in the long run. Turn 3 I tunnel visioned into trying to get a ko on scrafty with CC when really it made more sense to just horn leech it. Mishi didn't know I was band so switched out primarina the turn after so things worked out ok but ideally I would have leeched that slot the turn after and bulu would be healed a decent bit from the 2 attacks + 2 grassy turns. The turning point was turn 7 when pex lived a hhp to ko exca and chans healed back to full. From there I was able to set up sand for zolt and clean up, mishi needed a triple tect to win. Definitely my shakiest win from inexperience with the stall teamstyle.

1-0

Week 2 vs Atago

Team:

https://pokepast.es/762a5a6a8a538092

Orig:

https://pokepast.es/9711c270158104d5

Kickoff team orig idea was based on:

https://pokepast.es/19191283aa9402b4

Prep:

Coming off a close win with a team type I was inexperienced with, I felt confident and I was facing a non dou main so it seemed like the easiest MU I would get this run. SMB advised I use lots of spread since Atago likes setup stuff so I just went with a rain psyspam team based off the one I used in kickoff. I thought slowking-g was a very good mon that just wasn't being used, bulky tr setter with perfect typing to counter the bulus that want to turn off terrain plus regenerator is super good. I think it shines best with psyspam but ironically I used it more without (2 uses). The original version had moltg since another spread and it can finally use hurricane thanks to rain, just a cool bulky setup sweeper. But it made the primarina, milotic and ferrothorn MUs look very tough so SMB wanted to use something different. He suggested rotom mow which wasn't something I even considered so I thought he meant a wisp set (for ferro) but was thinking trick. We picked specs and it was indeed the perfect choice for the team, fixing its weaknesses and working as glue for the whole team. A bit bummed I didn't get to rep moltg rain but rotom mow was definitely the move.

Fite:

Off preview it looked great, we had everything needed to win as long as seismitoad was not faster than kingdra (doubling kingdra with toad phero would ko it). I was expecting phero to be scarf or sash from preview and it ended up being scarf. Lead was a free kingdra politoed HH muddy which took out their toad and then I went scrafty to intim phero if he wanted to ko it with CC for another muddy spam. Turn 3 the game was sealed with me ruining the regi by tricking it and it was smooth sailing from there on. Near the end I made a misplay by clicking muddy on t11 instead of locking spectrier with huricane and setting tr with slowking-g which gave them a 15% chance to hax me. I don't understand why they went toad instead of kingdra, it would make the MU a lot more even. I thought the team was interesting with the scarf phero and I would end up using it myself later. (but scarf would do nothing that game lol)

2-0

Week 3 vs Yellow Paint

Game:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesuu-1540058197

Team:

https://pokepast.es/7b4cb18203a09341

Team its based on:

https://pokepast.es/b5bbd65033e8149a

Prep:

Looking at the scout SMB noticed he looked very weak into tr so we went with a fullroom sand team with dracozolt, based on a SMB lurantis oranguru sand team since he looked fighting weak so lurantis scrafty looked really good. I decided to go slowking-g again to help with the bulu MU. The original version had gogs oranguru but I thought taunt was more likely so changed it, which ended up being the wrong call lol.

Fite:

On preview things looked great, I just needed to set up tr and delete stuff. I was expecting tr kling with min speed tangrowth but for some reason that was not the case? Turn 2 I went for double pjab on primarina to make it very low and sack scrafty to bring in lurantis but I ended up getting a crit which ruined YP’s set which turned out to be super bulky 252 hp 244 def. From there I just played aggressively removing any chance for an outplay and their only out was a draco miss.

3-0

Week 4 vs Actuarily

Game:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1545412034

Team:

https://pokepast.es/2878aeb78386826f

BW team inspo:

https://pokepast.es/dda97a08b9ef5fb2

Prep: Unlike my previous opponents we were not sure what was good to use since Actuarily uses a lot of different teams and is a strong builder. He hasn't looked like himself this DPL but obviously I wasn't going to assume that would be the case every game. We had both come off a win with a lurantis oranguru gigalith scrafty team so I did not feel like going intim for the 4th time in a row. In week 3 Dawob used a SMB paraspam team that was absolutely hilarious and I noticed there was very few twave immunes in DUU (just krook, exca and zolt) so I thought of using it with rotom wash ferro and cress. I then thought of adding rain since it helps wash and ferro but in the end we removed wash since the grass MU was too shaky. Rain also beats ground which is ⅔ of the twave immunes. I originally thought of a cool type null last resort twave set but it just gets owned by both intim mons since they have knock. I replaced that shitmon with chansey and SMB suggested togekiss instead of rotom wash for grass MU and super hax. I didn't want cress to be too passive so I went with a cool wp set. Thanks to all the twaves toed could also hit first often enough so i went for icebeam coverage and muddy for extra hax. Encore could also get value easier too. I put a bit of speed creep on ferro so that it could outspeed the aprox 60 stuff like primarina for flinch hax with ironhead or just attacking. Bpress was good for scrafty and exca and lets it hit zolt. I also thought of serene grace rockslide chans but that makes toxic counter it and no consistent chip damage so I stuck with the more reliable set.

Fite:

On preview I was surprised to see 3 unmons entei darude and mudsdale. Doubles LC might’ve brainwashed ya lol mudbray is amazing stats for LC mon but mudsdale stats are very mediocre for evolved mons. MU from hell like he said, I just clicked and after a while everything was paralyzed and chipped. Definitely the most disgusting team I brought and the little touches made it more polished than I originally thought this team could be.

4-0

In week 4 I also got madaraaa to use my sun semiroom team. He tested a decent bunch of games with other teammates (private games didn't post em after) so I thought he could pilot it properly but he ended up using it wrong and won thanks to a draco crit. Leading naga necroz looked a lot better. The MU was not ideal but it was not a guaranteed loss like many seemed to think since we have 3 ep and bpress dian. Gogs cress would rly own it but it wasn't that set. In retrospect I should have prep’d him better by getting them to send the replays to me and to talk the best leads and combo mons as he went venukoal twice when other options were better.

Game:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1544585352

Team:

https://pokepast.es/c0b0f2bfb24f74a4

Oops this is where shit hit the fan.

Week 5 vs Lord Death Man

Game:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesuu-1550511930

Team:

https://pokepast.es/b49fb9bf78ed491e

Prep:

I wanted something that beats weezing since I used so much weather and he's used it before so I went with swords dance excadrill. I got inspo to use tangrowth from Yellow Paint’s week 3 team vs me and since that resists ground I thought to use eq. I wanted to try double trick so went with cress and rotom wash. Zapdos was a good last fit to counter intim which annoys exca and gig while also being another eq immune. The cress set is rather awkward if you want to set tr while still holding specs but it can also provide a lot of value being able to hit harder than expected or trick disruption. Its funny this team ended up being 4 choiced and I did not realize it until teammates pointed it out lol. One of my favourite DUU teams for sure.

Fite:

Turn 1 I went for a bad scout for imprison, I should've doubled it with moonblast tbolt. The MU looked bad on the surface but actually if I could get a tr off after indeedee-m was gone I could get a lot of work done. He misplayed with draco and I should have switched to zapg on gig and if I didn't get scald burned I won.

4-1

Thankfully Akaru was able to clutch the last win so we didn't need to go to tiebreaks for first seed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playoffs

With first seed claimed it was time to grab some popcorn and watch semis. I was expecting Spindas to win since Lands have weaker SM and BW slots (unless nido subs in). The most realistic way for Lands to win is to go to tiebreaks and then it's pretty even, and they were able to get that to win the tiebreak 2-0.

Lands seemed like the easier opponent to get if we were able to win in the 6v6 but madaraa got crit, nido got subbed in vs Dawob reducing the advantage to 1 and I misplayed and we ended up being down 1-3. I thought it was probably over needing a win from both SMB and Akaru but they were able to pull through and bring us to the tiebreaks. Funny enough Akaru’s game was the easy one with a great MU while SMB’s was pretty much unwinnable and required him to outplay at every turn which he did lol.

Finals Prep:

I originally planned to help a lot with all the teams but starting a bit after semis tiebreaks we got a heatwave and my apartment aircon was not set to cooling yet so I was fried. During our break weeks for semis I tried throwing a bunch of ideas out and we used some concepts of those but during the actual game weeks I was Hellmo irl.

Madaraa vs Crunchman

Game:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1564826775

Team:

https://pokepast.es/2449855086f5e0a0

I had an idea of HH tsar double scarf stuff, also with bulky zyg. SMB liked lurantis and we ended up going with that, I wasn't a big fan of lurantis for dou, I just dont think it's strong enough here but in the game it seemed to do fine. With a rilla MU the lefties sub could get value. So the only part of the team that's my idea is the bulky zyg, something I haven't really seen people use but I always thought it could get value in semiroom. Unfortunately it got crit which just killed madara’s chances of winning.

Calc:

252+ SpA Life Orb Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Zygarde in Misty Terrain: 265-312 (63.2 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Akaru vs Yobuddy

Game:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1565652565

Team:

https://pokepast.es/956a5c25e784c780

I didn't help with this team but the fini set SMB used is so wild I wanted to put it here lol.

Tapu Fini @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpA / 48 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Finals vs Lord Death Man

Game:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesuu-1564875695

Team:

https://pokepast.es/ba19bee5830e775f

Prep:

Rematch time, SMB asked how viable toge lvl 1 was and it seemed like a sleeper pick, with alola tales gone there is no hail to counter so sand chip could finish off endeavor’d targets. Originally we thought of using victini final gambit to set tr easier but its no good vs weather that outspeeds it. We tried slowking-g +indeedee-m tr duo after but indeedee is not reliable and psy counters fakeout. Malamar was not something I ever thought I’d use but it has rockslide to combo with toge while also setting tr. In the end it was replaced with protect since it was too hard to position. A bulky ev’d slowking-g looked like the most reliable tr setter. For the sand sweeper we chose stoutland for the follow me combo with toge and malamar. I chose scarf phero to have a better MU vs opposing weather sweepers, partially inspired by atago’s week 2 team and scarf phero was something I thought could be legit for a while. Easily the wildest DUU team I've made.

Fite:

The weez-g was very annoying but after I killed it toge could win. Unfortunately I went for a bad prediction thinking he would switch it out to use later and wasted my toge. A few flinches and misses later it was over, although breaking cress would be quite hard if I wasn't able to do it fast enough with malamar. I should've removed the spikes with slowking-g to keep malamar healthier too.

4-2

Finals Tiebreak vs Stax

Game:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1570503306-vaf2x5aw3v1zumwjw815wd5oy1wezclpw

Team:

https://pokepast.es/6bdd05ee34bfb4b5

Team orig idea (for madaraaa finals):

https://pokepast.es/9c14f346c4795046

Kyle’s team idea:

https://pokepast.es/d30cf9cd028a8f60

Prep:

We wanted to use bulky band zyg + amoonguss and I had 3 ideas with that duo. Double scarf concept, tspikes mew + hex spectrier and a staka build. I tested a bunch and double scarf seemed best. The final team is a combination of the original idea and a team kyle made by adding diancie to the mix. I think double trick has lots of potential, just extremely disruptive and the less common tricker will be unexpected (metagross in this case).

Fite: I think the MU was pretty good but I led wrong with fini which removed my amoonguss threat. A hydro miss and a wrong predict later and I ran out of gas to win. The bulky zyg and occa amoonguss were able to get some nice value but it just wasn't enough after that rough start. Between me and Akaru we had 3 first try misses with hydro lol. :(

4-3

SMB vs LDM

Game:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesuu-1569671248

Team:

https://pokepast.es/a573f98a55cb6abb

We wanted something that beats weather and weez so we went with exca rain. I wanted to help more with this team but was still being toasted by the heatwave. SMB played a bit passive at start being paranoid of roar/whirl I think should've tried setting up with regi regardless since the mons he had in were not doing much. We should have lost this one if LDM targeted the right mon at end but if I played better I think I won vs stax but guess that's how these games go, pressure can get to anyone.

Dawoblefet vs Nido-rus

Game:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1572108134

Team:

https://pokepast.es/f5b81f42e61cf225

As you might have seen from Akaru’s post in the meme thread we had the most scuffed last minute prep for the final game of finals tiebreaks. Basically Dawob said he would be rdy 2.5hrs b4 game to prep but then arrived 1hr late so 1.5hrs left, so it was speedrun prep time and we gave Dawob a few team ideas we thought would work. He liked the staka cress core so we worked with that.

Wob wanted Lando-I Stak Cress Rilla +2

We thought of incin scarf urshi but realized steela owns (heatcrash does nothing since steela is thicc)

Then we tried volcanion + zera and that seemed good. Shuca volc since 3 ground weak and toxic for bulky wincons, magnet zera to own steela.

SMB, Akaru and meminger did last min testing while kyle and Dawob were in VC and I was spamming in chat.

Set detail info:

The staka set is my take on it, not exactly original but this version lets you use all the bulk, also boosting bpress, instead of being greedy trying to snowball +atk and being weaker defense stat. Also stone edge accuracy is bad so this is more consistent. Dawob really liked this set so we stuck with it. Unfortunately it died before doing anything lol.

For the zera set he insisted magnet was better and in retrospect if investing in atk it is definitely better than sitrus. These evs ko 252hp celesteela and urshi.

They were still testing 5 minutes before the game and this prep was past my normal dinner time (8pm I eat at 7pm latest) so by game time I felt sick and just went to eat lol. I looked back at the game a few times and saw staka randomly died, but the next time I looked over Dawob blew up a pult reading that the urshi wasn't scarf and then the magnet -1 zera chipped urshi enough to stop the substitute play and it was over. So last min prep was worth it but I'd rather not experience that again lmao.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS! QUACK!

Final thoughts

I hope you were inspired a bit by my take on building, a style of less protect, more proactive options. I think everyone should try building, after a while some ideas are bound to stick. Nothing more satisfying than seeing your original team put in work, doing exactly as you planned.

To each of my teammates:

Ann nonima: We didn't talk much but you were a great help in testing especially with SMB in SM.
Akaru Kokuyo: Clutch AF helping us secure first seed and the finals win we needed to tie, truly our guardian angel as Kyle said. Your two losses were unlucky, the sand team I should have argued wasn't a good choice since Latam used so much sand and the XY game hydro miss sucked. I'm sure you will do better next time around.
DaWoblefet: Best record of our team, I just wish you prep’d earlier for finals. If I have you as a teammate again I will force you to prep earlier :changry: You won in the end so all is forgiven lol.
KyleCole: I'm glad I was finally able to see your true potential in XY, since DWCOP was SS and you hate that tier lol.
MADARAAAA: You had a pretty rough DPL with bad MU’s and luck but it seems I don't need to defend ya since ppl think you are a good player. You will definitely bounce back next time around.
Meminger21: Playing DPL without prior success I think the pressure got to ya but I hope you learned a lot from this experience and do well in future indiv/team tours as SMB saw potential in you when scouting.
SingleThunder: I wish you got to play more but you played well and helped a good bit in XY and SS, I hope you get a breakout tour soon.
SMB: And of course thanks again to my manager for drafting me and believing in me enough to put me in tiebreaks. Was really fun building interesting DUU teams together and trying more team styles.

Thanks to Arcticblast for hosting the tour, Spurrific for the predix (even tho i didn't join maybe next time lol) and all my opponents for the great games. Cyall in DPL9!

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
We've done a full VR vote and I've updated the sample teams.

PokemonCurrent Tiern10sitLord Death ManActuarilyNido-RusRelicanthPrimalResult
Naganadel1221222
Spectrier1111121
Gigalith2212212
Indeedee-M2222222
Nihilego2343343
Tapu Bulu2111121
Scrafty2222222
Victini2112222
Zapdos-Galar2232232
Arcanine34545UR5
Blastoise3333333
Cresselia3222222
Dracozolt3322222
Excadrill3333323
Kingdra3333323
Krookodile3333333
Kyurem3343343
Politoed3323323
Primarina3454534
Tornadus-I3333333
Chansey4333333
Ferrothorn4333333
Lurantis4344333
Moltres-Galar4324343
Ninetales4455455
Registeel4223232
Thundurus-I4455555
Venusaur4555455
Araquanid5URUR5URURUR
Aromatisse5554555
Azumarill55555UR5
Cinderace55UR5555
Clefairy5555555
Comfey5URUR5URURUR
Dusclops5555555
Glastrier55UR4555
Hydreigon5URURURURURUR
Kommo-o5555555
Ludicolo5UR54555
Pheromosa5554444
Regidrago55555UR5
Scizor5544555
Sylveon5454454
Terrakion5555555
Togekiss5444454
Toxapex5554555
Volcarona5455455
Weezing-Galar5444444
Zarude55UR5URURUR
OranguruUR444444
Slowking-GalarUR554434
TangrowthURURUR5UR4UR
Rotom-WashUR5UR5555
Rotom-CutURUR55UR55

Results -
Naganadel: Tier 1 -> Tier 2
Nihilego: Tier 2 -> Tier 3
Tapu Bulu: Tier 2 -> Tier 1
Arcanine: Tier 3 -> Tier 5
Cresselia: Tier 3 -> Tier 2
Dracozolt: Tier 3 -> Tier 2
Primarina: Tier 3 -> Tier 4
Chansey: Tier 4 -> Tier 3
Ferrothorn: Tier 4 -> Tier 3
Lurantis: Tier 4 -> Tier 3
Moltres-Galar: Tier 4 -> Tier 3
Ninetales: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Registeel: Tier 4 -> Tier 2
Thundurus-I: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Venusaur: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Araquanid: Tier 5 -> UR
Comfey: Tier 5 -> UR
Hydreigon: Tier 5 -> UR
Pheromosa: Tier 5 -> Tier 4
Togekiss: Tier 5 -> Tier 4
Weezing-Galar: Tier 5 -> Tier 4
Zarude: Tier 5 -> UR
Oranguru: UR -> Tier 4
Slowking-Galar: UR -> Tier 4
Rotom-Wash: UR -> Tier 5
Rotom-Mow: UR -> Tier 5

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
Oh man, this isn't a post I even feel ready to make. I will post something real and in depth soon talking about this decision, so this isn't really my retirement post, but I'd like to announce in this thread first that I am stepping down from my position as Forum Moderator and PS Room Owner, as well as relinquishing control of the DUU resources. I am extremely excited to announce that Actuarily will be taking over the resources for Generation 9 and the de-facto "DUU TL" role that I've had for so many years. Act is a wonderful person and user and I am so glad there is someone willing to look after DUU when I'm gone. This tier was my passion project for many years and this moment is certainly bittersweet. Again, I'll do a full fledged retirement post where I thank everyone, but I need to thank one person in particular: Lord Death Man.

LDM, you supported DUU at a level nobody else has and I feel as though we have grown this format together as friends and colleagues. I will cherish the memories of us staying up exorbitantly late, playing duu and shooting the shit about what could be good in this format. You probably have no idea how meaningful our relationship has been to me and how much I appreciate everything you have done for DUU. I absolutely couldn't have done any of this without you and your support. I wish you so much luck in your future endeavors and I can't wait to see what the future holds for you.

Anyway, you'll hear from me soon explaining my decision and stepping down for good. I'll still be hanging around the discord and everything, so I'm not totally disappearing. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)