Project Doubles OU Next Best Thing: Cycle 13: Landorus-I (Submission)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunchman

Banned deucer.
Posting because dnagerbdager keeps saying i should just kill stuff
Dragapult @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave
- Breaking Swipe
- Protect
Neuter opponents to give your other mons breathing room to setup gg

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
:xy/dragapult:
Dragapult @ Focus Sash
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Beat Up
- Ally Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball

BEAT UP DRAGAPULT. Use in conjunction with a Justified Pokemon like Terrakion, Virizion, Keldeo, or Arcanine. Ally Switch is to be annoying. Thunder Wave is to have your Justified Pokemon get the jump on the likes of Naganadel and Kartana, among others; it's also nice when the going gets tough, if you catch my drift. Shadow Ball because you more or less would want to hit stuff like Heatran, Metagross, Necrozma, and Kartana in the teams you run this in. Clear Body because ignoring Sticky Webs can be quite based + who's using Sub nowdays lol, if a Zyg somehow gets up a Sub on a balls to the wall team like Justified + Beat Up HO it was already dire anyway.

If you're a truly skilled player, you can run King's Rock instead. Truly skilled players always get the flinch on opposing mons while never on their own. Cursed Body is also a based option as an ability as this set is more or less a designated lead, the 30% chance to disable a move possibly giving a strong edge in aggressive matchups.

Last edited:

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Eject Pack Dragapult
:ss/dragapult:
Dragapult @ Eject Pack
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Sometimes it can be difficult to guess whether you want to stay in and do actual damage with Dragapult, or use U-turn and switch out. This set aims to solve that by allowing Dragapult to pivot out even when it uses Draco Meteor. The other moves are standard.

Last edited:
Cycle 11: Galarian Zapdos
:sm/zapdos-galar:

Galarian Zapdos is a great physical attacker in the current metagame, being able to take advantage of the rise of the Intimidators since Kartana's ban. It either has a Choice Band set to really pump up its power to the max, or a Choice Scarf set to be a great revenge killer. Your duty is to find a set that differentiates from these 2 options. Start submitting sets on Monday.

Banned Sets

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.

Quick Guard Zapdos
Zapdos-Galar @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Guard
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn

I was going to post a meme set involving the moves Stomping Tantrum, Revenge, and Throat Chop going off of how Zapdos looks like a punk bird, but this set is probably a meme as it is. Quick guard is a move that isn't too often used with psychic terrain and Queenly Majesty being things. However not every team can fit those pokemon in. This set can give you the ability to block priority from most of the fake out users in the tier.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Coaching Galarian Zapdos
:ss/zapdos_galar:
Zapdos-Galar @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Coaching
- Protect

While Coaching is a rarely seen move, Galarian Zapdos can use it fairly well, since it has a filler slot you're rarely ever clicking. Obviously yuo're not going to be building a team dedicated to it the way you might with Coaching Zeraora, it's an option you're mostly going to use when Zapdo can't do much.

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Agility Zapdos-G

:zapdos-galar:
Zapdos-Galar @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Agility
- Protect

I've been trying to build a team around this for a while, because it has a lot of potential. LO Zapdos-G hits hard without being locked into a move, so boosting up with Agility means you sort of get the best of both Choice Band and Choice Scarf. With its STAB attacks, Zapdos-G OHKOes Dragapult, Zeraora, and Choice Scarf Genesect, which means outspeeding them all is well worth your while. The set definitely appreciates some support, but even if you don't get off an Agility it'll still hit super hard on anything it outspeeds.
252 Atk Life Orb Zapdos-Galar Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zeraora: 313-370 (98.7 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Zapdos-Galar Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 313-370 (98.7 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Zapdos-Galar Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Genesect: 289-341 (102.1 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Cycle 12: Incineroar
:sm/incineroar:

Incinteroar has been a defining pivot set ever since its introduction in SM, and while being knocked down a step (now being Tier 2), it still defines if certian pokemon get used or not. But now you have to find a different use for this feline.
Banned Sets:

:heavy-duty-boots:

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
Goggles Incin

:incineroar:
Incineroar @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 184 Def / 68 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 SpA / 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

The Evs can be adjusted to do what you need, but goggles on incin can be useful to help give you an amoongus check. Often times when building, your team might become amoongus weak because it isn't something you often build for. Throw goggles on this thing and you're good. I find this works really well on semi room teams that have their slowest mon being diancie. This isn't too creative I'm sure, but I don't think it's incredibly common.

:Incineroar:
Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 160 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Taunt
- Parting Shot

By dropping Knock Off (and Ideally running the move on Rillaboom or Zeraora instead) you free up some EVs that are normally dedicated to OHKOing pult. This lets me afford enough speed to get past Lando I in tailwind while still hitting enough SpDef to take the Steam Eruption from Volcanion and have enough Def left over to hopefully throw a couple of opponent calcs/benchmarks out of whack.
Now, I know you're not allowed to post two sets, but my friend ColeKyle doesn't have a smogon account and he wanted me to post this on his behalf. If you like this set just vote for him and I'll pass on the word if he wins.
:incineroar:
ColeKyle Incineroar (Incineroar) @ Amulet Coin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Pay Day
- Bind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

This set is used to maximize the ca$h output of Incineroar. Pay Day stacks infinitely and can be used in conjunction with Amulet Coin to essentially make money a non issue very early in your quest to become Champion. Bind is used to prevent the foe (also weakened by intimidate) from switching out, while Rest and Sleep Talk keep the opponent trapped and the cash flowing.
This set faces stiff competition from Persian, Snorlax, and both Raichu forms as they also learn Happy Hour + Pay Day which dramatically increases the value of scattered coins. Mew also can run a similar set to Incineroar, trading a few pros and cons.
Persian notably, can use the combination of Hypnosis and Dream Eater to incapacitate foes and recover HP; however, ColeKyle feels that due to lesser bulk and the innaccuracy of sleep moves, Incineroar is the better pick.
:Persian:
Persian @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Serious Nature
- Pay Day
- Happy Hour
- Hypnosis
- Dream Eater

Snorlax truly suffers from 4M$$, wanting to use all of Pay Day, Happy Hour, Whirlpool, Yawn, and either Rest or Recycle (with Sitrus Berry, sadly losing out on Amulet Coin). If Snorlax could use all of these moves it would dominate the scattered coins meta, but as it is, ColeKyle and I feel that it falls 3rd place, just shy of the inconsistent Persian. We feel a leftovers set combined with Immunity is the best way to make use of Coinlax.
:Snorlax:
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Pay Day
- Happy Hour
- Whirlpool / Block
- Yawn

Raichu is the high risk high reward pick of the Scattered Coins metagame. If you can get off a free Nuzzle and a Double Team or two, you are really setting yourself up for a fat wallet by incorporating all 3 of Amulet Coin, Pay Day, and Happy Hour. However, lacking reliable recovery, decent bulk, and a means of shaking off or ignoring Toxic, Raichu is a daredevil's pick, and should only be used by experienced players.
:Raichu:
Raichu @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Nuzzle
- Double Team / Sweet Kiss
- Pay Day
- Happy Hour

Lacking the Static ability, and weilding a worse defensive typing, Raichu-A is utterly and completely outclassed in the Scattered Coins meta. It does get access to Recycle where Raichu-K does not, but then you're only a worse Snorlax, who probably doesn't want to run a recycle set anyways as I have shown.

Mew is great in some matchups and much worse in others compared to Incineroar. On one hand, it can boost its defenses and has reliable recovery with Roost. On the other hand, it suffers from a vulnerability to poison and other status. Against a unprepared opponent, Mew can really fill up the ole chequing account.
:mew:
Mew @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Pay Day
- Roost
- Cosmic Power
- Whirlpool / Bind / Block

Rhyperior also deserves special mention. While not able to accumulate Scattered Coins as quickly as it's contemporaries, Rhyperior is able to run an Iron Defense set that can flip back and forth between collecting coins and collecting KOs. The main niche of Rhyperior is that rather than wait for the right time to set up shop, Rhyperior creates it's own opportunity.
:Rhyperior:
Rhyperior @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Pay Day
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Rest / Block

Please let me know your thoughts on the metagame if you have participated at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)