Lower Tiers Doubles OU EV Spread Compendium v2

Heading to the airport in a minute so I thought while I wait I'd throw in a couple of the spreads I've been using because I liked FtBs so much.

Volcanion @ Expert Belt
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Stone Edge
- Protect

3 attacks volcanion, I think Stone Edge is always the best option here if you're using an attack > Sub to OHKO bulky Zard Y and do significant damage to enemy Volcanion. You need to run a damage boosting item on Timid Volcanion to get the Zard Y OHKO, or alternatively you can run 8 attack EVs without an attack hindering nature. I've been liking Timid Volcanion so that's what I submitted : )

0- Atk Expert Belt Volcanion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Mega Charizard Y: 379-451 (105.5 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 52 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Protect

I hit 177 speed to outspeed the 176ers with enough special attack to 2hko 4/0 Mega Kangaskhan with +1 Hyper Voice. The rest is all in phys def and doesn't hit a specific mark, but it do nifty stuff like this:
252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 120 HP / 252 Def Sylveon: 75-89 (20.7 - 24.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 120 HP / 252 Def Sylveon: 150-177 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 52+ SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 177-208 (50.4 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 220 HP / 36 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger or Taunt I guess if council R bitches
- Flash Cannon

Team wanted support Thundurus but was a teensy bit weak to Diancie so I made this. Really simple, always takes 2 Lando Rock slides with Sitrus. Very cool set, I was worried that this Thundurus set would be trying to do too much so it wouldn't do anything well, but it's actually really great. I feel like this isn't the set for every team, usually you would probably want the fat spread (life orb sucks #sorrynotsorry), but like I said I needed this. If you're at all curious the team I've been using it on is kang/genies/volcanion/rachi/sylv so maybe try this if your team looks like that? idk.

252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 220 HP / 36 Def Thundurus: 186-220 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Thundurus Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Diancie: 260-308 (107.8 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Thanks for all these cool spreads guys, I'll add them soon.

Quick announcement: I'm thinking of changing the format of the compendium so that the descriptions are in bullet points instead of sentences. It's easier to read quickly, that's the format people are using when providing spreads, and I'm getting really tired of typing variations of "This spread allows x to survive...." etc. I'll likely do that on Tuesday or Wednesday, so if you have any particular reason that you think this is a bad idea, speak up before then, since I'm certainly not going through the work to change formats twice.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Sorry for double posting, but I've finally gone through and updated the format so that the spreads are described in bullet points. Hopefully this was a helpful change, because it took a lot longer than I thought it would! I need to take a break from staring at EVs right now, but tonight I'll add the spreads that I haven't added yet and work on some cohesiveness fixes.

Let me know if you have any other spreads for Volcanion that you want added - I know there are still some new sets being innovated, like that Shuca set SamVGC was using, Expert Belt Stone Edge like Kyle mentioned, and super bulky variants that shaian talked to me about.

Also, I'm thinking about adding a note somewhere in each spread of what items work best, does that sound helpful or like it would clutter the resource too much?

Sorry for double posting, but I've finally gone through and updated the format so that the spreads are described in bullet points. Hopefully this was a helpful change, because it took a lot longer than I thought it would! I need to take a break from staring at EVs right now, but tonight I'll add the spreads that I haven't added yet and work on some cohesiveness fixes.

Let me know if you have any other spreads for Volcanion that you want added - I know there are still some new sets being innovated, like that Shuca set SamVGC was using, Expert Belt Stone Edge like Kyle mentioned, and super bulky variants that shaian talked to me about.

Also, I'm thinking about adding a note somewhere in each spread of what items work best, does that sound helpful or like it would clutter the resource too much?
I think it would be nice to know the item but only if it was necessary for usin the ev spread, so if a set is evd to hit a leftovers number hp stat, a life orb hp stat, or evd to live hits with Sitrus berry then include the item. It probably would clutter up the compendium to have an item on every set when this isn't the case though.

Case in point, I really like timid volcanion with either shuca+sub or ebelt+stone edge, so even though I submitted a set with ebelt you could probably just have 252/252 included as a spread without an item. Or not, up to you ofc.

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
Last update on the re-re-revamping of this:
  • Added Volcanion spreads
  • Added item sprites to spreads that were dependant on them
  • Added some new spreads from Page 2 suggestions
  • Finished making cohesiveness changes so that the resource is more readable
Let me know if there are any more changes you'd like to see!

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
EVs: 240 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpA / 12 SpD | Quiet Nature
  • Lives +6 Azumarill Aqua Jet in the sun
  • Lives Magnet Thundurus Thunderbolt
  • Lives Adamant Mega Kangaskhan Double Edge
  • OHKOes bulky Thundurus and 0/4 Mega Kangaskhan with Overheat
  • If not running Overheat, 16 Spe EVs taken from SpA outspeeds Bisharp with Modest
    • Still 2HKOs Kyurem-B with Heat Wave / OHKOs Jirachi with Flamethrower
    • This version can also work outside of Trick Room, even with Tailwind support
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 240 HP / 220 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 306-360 (85.7 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(306, 308, 312, 314, 318, 324, 326, 330, 332, 336, 342, 344, 348, 350, 354, 360)

move 8 spa to def, you still always ohko 0/4 kangaskhan

talkingtree

large if factual
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 240 HP / 220 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 302-356 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(302, 306, 308, 312, 314, 320, 324, 326, 330, 332, 338, 342, 344, 348, 350, 356)

I'm really confused what is different between our two calcs

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 240 HP / 220 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 306-360 (85.7 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(306, 308, 312, 314, 318, 324, 326, 330, 332, 336, 342, 344, 348, 350, 354, 360)
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 240 HP / 220 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 302-356 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(302, 306, 308, 312, 314, 320, 324, 326, 330, 332, 338, 342, 344, 348, 350, 356)

shaian's calc has Mega Charizard Y having 30 IVs in defense for HP Ground :)

I did the calc and got what talkingtree got with 31 IVs in defense

[2:49 PM] pablo : GreenGogoatttt

[2:49 PM] pablo : ftr

[2:50 PM] pablo : the issue wasnt the

[2:50 PM] pablo : defence ivs

[2:50 PM] pablo : lol

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
that's actually not the case, I ran the +6 Aqua Jet calc in the sun vs 144 HP / 204 Def Arcanine & 144 HP / 212 Def Arcanine, 152 HP / 124 Def Landorus-T & 152 HP / 132 Def Landorus-T, and 136 HP / 4 Def Heatran and 136 HP and 29 Def IV Heatran. All of them showed the same result: a Pokemon that is 2x weak to Water-type moves needs 357 HP / 249 Def to always live a +6 Aqua Jet in the sun.

The actual reason is because the pokemon showdown calc and the gamut calc have 2 different results, which I tested with marilli. On the ps calc, in order for a 2x weak Pokemon to survive a +6 Aqua Jet in the sun, it only needs to have 357 HP / 247 Def, for the gamut one, it's 357 HP / 249 Def.

Assuming pokemon showdown uses the same algorithm in battles as the PS calc, it would be safe to assume talkingtree has the right calc, however, for cart play I'm gonna test this out separately.

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Can bulky tr hoopa be a thing?
252hp/252attack
Or
252hp/252spa
I have enjoyed using both. The other spreads have little to no bulk investment.

Bulky with 252hp, not evd to survive something specific when at 100% health. It's just general bulk for taking hits from special attackers

An AV set that I personally enjoyed using and actually caught other ladderers/RMT'ers who used my set (+ liked it too).

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 168 HP / 124 Atk / 36 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Stone Edge (changed by DarkSylveon; I agree to OHKO Zard)

Guaranteed to survive:
1. Azu's Belly Drum - Boosted Aqua Jet under Sun
2. Choice Band Gyarados's Waterfall (-1) ; 2 under Sun
3. 2 Talonflame's Brave Bird (-1)
4. Volcanion's Steam Eruption ; 2 under Sun

Faster than Breloom and usually used under TW (and sometimes TR) support.

Last edited:
Gray Lando (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 68 Atk / 56 Def / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

A bulky balance Lando-T set I made a while ago. It's a physical punisher set with four moves that's meant to take as many common hits as possible while maintaining max Speed. I've included a pastebin that has a ton of information, though I missed the U-Turn calcs. Short end is that it's meant to survive blows from Jolly Khan at neutral and Adamant Khan at -1 and punish her with Rocky Helmet damage and Superpower/EQ. It can live Bisharp Sucker Punches at +1. The set is a bit compromised but is aimed at keeping max Speed and reasonable bulk

https://pastebin.com/fmrza4RV

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 100 HP / 86 Def / 180 SpA / 10 SpD / 132 Spe
This set is a kinda bulky attacker
The EVs in SpA to OHKO most Garchomps and Landorus
The Speed EVs are to outspeed bulky rotom wash by 1 point
The rest are to survive some miscellaneous attacks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)