Announcement Doubles Newsroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Art by Blue Frog
Original OP by Audiosurfer

We here at the Doubles subforum have some fantastic resources available for our players, which will be rolling out as the generation progresses. However, often the creation and planning of these things are unknown to the average user, instead occurring behind closed doors up until the thread is actually posted in the forums. So what is this thread exactly, you ask? Simple. The Doubles Newsroom is, as its name implies, a place for you, the end user, to get news on things such as upcoming projects, updates on existing projects, discussions on large-scale tier issues, or requests for feedback on potential ideas. In short, it's like a Doubles news station, an easy place for you to stay abreast of the tier's happenings without having to scour the entire forum. Hopefully you find this thread every bit as useful and interesting as we hope you will!

If you'd like to have a specific piece of content features in this thread, simply PM one of the Doubles Forum Mods (Actuarily, Yoda2798, Paraplegic, Arcticblast) and it will be considered for posting here. If you have an idea of what you'd like talked about but don't have a specific post written out for us to share here, just contact one of us with the idea anyways and we can see how to best highlight it. Just as this thread is meant to help people learn more about Doubles-related matters, so too would we like relevant topics to be celebrated and highlighted.

Last edited:

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A Revolving Door of Councilmen

Everyone's favorite DUUTL n10sit has decided to step down from DOU Council to focus his efforts on bullying PS staff into getting Gen 8 DUU up as quickly as possible. All is not lost though, as former tier leader Memoric is making his comeback! Thanks to n10sit for all your hard work, and welcome back Memoric!

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Another victim of a busy schedule, AuraRayquaza has also elected to step down. We'll miss having him for discussion, in the relatively short time he was on council, Aura was particularly helpful and active in helping guide us through these new metagames.

However, we also have some good news -- qsns and Stratos have both returned to council! Having both of them will surely make navigating these DLC drops easier and help ensure that the metagame moves in the right direction. Congratulations, and welcome back!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
No post was made about it, but Level 51 stepped down from moderator a couple weeks ago, presumably to continue his spreadsheet training in the mountains. With Level 51 applying equations to cells under a waterfall and talkingtree looking for new ground to take root, we found ourselves in need of new moderation. After a period of deliberation and me prodding MajorBowman to actually do the dirty work, we've appointed n10sit and Yoda2798 to the position. Congrats to the two of them, and remember to delete all of MajorBowman's posts!

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Council Updates

Croven and Nails have both decided to step down from DOU Council. We thank them for their participation and their invaluable input during a tumultuous time of tiering during the Crown Tundra rollout.

In happier news, umbry has joined the DOU Council! We are happy to have her on board and look forward to the upcoming year.

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Major Departure

MajorBowman recently stepped down as Tier Leader after 3.5 productive years of leadership, among many other valuable contributions. We thank him for all the good he's done and wish him all the best.

In happier news, Paraplegic is now Tier Leader as MajorBowman's replacement! We're sure he'll do a great job. emma is also taking over MajorBowman's former position of C&C Co-Leader.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone. As I stated a few days ago in the DUU thread, I am stepping down from my positions of power and responsibility. I've been around since 2015 and I've been very involved in DOU leadership and the community since 2017/2018. I want to explain this decision and some of my recent behavior.

To start, I'll provide the context that I've had pretty serious depression my whole life. My diagnosis is 'Major Depressive Disorder with Psychotic Features", and it's something I've done a lot of work dealing with, and while I certainly don't have it entirely under control, it's something I've kind of learned to deal with. Over the past 12 months or so, however, I've developed some new mental health symptoms that I have far less understanding of. I'm of course in constant contact with my psychiatrist and therapists, but dealing with the extreme and at times uncontrollable anxiety coupled with feelings of persecution and warped perception of my relationships and myself, frankly, has been really hard. I've unfortunately let episodes of these symptoms out on members of the DOU community, and its been clear over the past six months or so that I am no longer in a position where I can comfortably deal with the responsibility my positions here on Smogon entail. I want to apologize to everyone for this, as my behavior has been inappropriate at times, especially for someone in a position of power on Smogon.

There is something special about Pokemon, and there is something very, very special about Smogon and Pokemon Showdown. Tons of people put in time and effort creating resources and creating communities for no reason other than the love of the game. We are all here because we love Pokemon, and that means we are all on the same team. I have been a part of multiple different leaderships in the DOU community, and I've seen all the highs and lows that we've gone through together. It is so important for us to remember that the people putting in the time and the work often do so thanklessly, and will sometimes make mistakes. Mistakes are natural, and are to be expected when doing anything, but especially thankless work. While it's entirely valid to have discussions about these mistakes, we all (including me) need to remember that there is another real person on the other side of the conversation, and we cannot pretend that the things we say and do don't have real emotional or mental effects on the other person.

To finish, I think it is of the utmost importance that we interact with each other genuinely and with positive intentions. I have seen a lot over the years, but the most destructive behavior I see (outside of what Stratos was hiding from us) comes from people who engage in discussions with no intention of being constructive, but rather are only engaging to mess with a certain individual or group of individuals, masking basic trolling with fake concern about the actual issue. So many times over the years, I have found myself in the middle of an issue between two people or two groups, with each group or person accusing the other of being in the wrong. As I stated above, I can no longer handle these situations effectively, which is why I am resigning. Mediating issues like that is part of being a moderator, but I have found that sometimes one party is not being genuine with me about the issue. This is a natural product of gaming communities and other communities that are entirely internet based - you don't have to be yourself online. This allows us to do and say things that we wouldn't ever do or say in a physical social interaction. The best thing that we can do for each other is to treat each other with respect and communicate honestly. Open, honest communication is the only way we are going to bring each other together as a community and make DOU, and Smogon as a whole, a safe, inclusive, and welcoming community. When I was promoted to Forum Moderator, my number one goal was to make DOU a place where everyone could feel safe, respected, and valued.

My behavior over the last 6 months or so has tarnished that dream a little bit, and while I know I am making the best decision for myself in stepping down, I am praying that we can continue to grow into a community where everyone is treated with the respect that they deserve. I've accomplished some things in my time in leadership, but I deeply regret not being able to bring everyone together. Hopefully in the coming months things will get better and DOU, both the leadership and the community, can come together and support one another because we are all on the same team.

If I fail to mention you in the thank you portion below, I am sorry. So many of you have impacted me as a person and there are far too many names to get to everyone individually. My sincerest thanks go out to all of you: Smogon gave me something to be passionate about when I was at rock bottom, and all of you have helped me so much.

talkingtree: I don't even know where to start. One of the best friends I've made over the years, you are a wonderful person and I always looked up to you both as a human and as Smogon Leadership. I wanted to be half as good as you as a moderator. You did so much for DOU, so much for me, so much for everyone. Thank you for all of it. Thank you for every discussion we had, thank you for supporting me, and thank you for being my friend.

MajorBowman: Similarly to tree, I really looked up to you as a leader here on Smogon and in Pokemon in general, and you always stuck up for me and for us. When DOU was dropped from SPL and you made that post about how bad that was for DOU I couldn't believe how good that made me feel, and I know it made everyone in the community happy to see our leader lay it on the line and stick up for us. That passion is something I've tried to replicate as a moderator. You and tree were exceptional tier leaders who lead us through a change in who we were as a community, and you both are owed endless thanks for your incredible work.

bunnyy: I have learned so much from you. You have made me a better person, and while I looked up to tree and bowman for how to be a moderator, you are the person I look up to for how to treat and respect others. While of course we were both angst filled teenagers for a time, you have grown into a remarkably kind and smart person and to be your friend through that growth has been such an honor. Thank you for all the times you made me laugh, supported me when I was upset, and helped me figure out myself and my own feelings. I thoroughly enjoy being your friend.

kaori (and Church): What a great friend you have been to me as well. Inviting me into Church has helped me grow as a person, I deeply appreciate all that I have learned and the friendships I have made.

Nido-Rus: Thank you old friend. You are someone I learned how to play Pokemon from and you've helped me so much with DUU over the years. I greatly respect you and I wish you so much luck in the future.

Memoric: You and I have grown together in DOU leadership for years now. I've learned so much from you and I credit you for giving me the tools to be a positive presence for the DOU community. You've held me accountable and made me a better moderator, and I am honored to consider you my friend.

DaWoblefet: Our friendship has mostly evolved outside of Smogon, but I would be remiss not to mention you here. I consider you one of my closest friends, and I've learned and continue to learn so much about Pokemon from you. I can't wait until we get to see one another, and everyone else, at locals again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)