Doubles Ladder Conquest

Approved by Pocket
Formatting (and intro) stolen borrowed from voodoo pimp

Ladder Conquest
To make your ladder experience interesting, we'll be initiating a Ladder Conquest. Each round of ladder conquest lasts 2 weeks, and within this timeframe one can gain leaderboard points for achieving one of the three:

1) Make it to the top 10 on Smogon Double's ladder:
  • 1st place: 10 pts
  • 2nd place: 8 pts
  • 3rd - 5th place: 6 pts
  • 6th-9th place: 4 pts
  • 10th place: 2 pts
2) Reach a Glicko2 rating of 2075 or higher with 75 or less deviation
  • post a screenshot with the qualifying rating to earn 1 pt
  • write about the team you used, including all 6 sets and how the team worked, to earn an additional 1 pt (you must earn the first point in order to gain this additional point)
Note: You may sign up with multiple alts as long as they are FRESH (no Smogon Doubles rated games played on these alts).
  • Even if multiple alts of yours end up in top 5, only your highest alt would be rewarded for the primary achievement
  • However, the secondary achievement can be rewarded multiple times, as long as your alts reach above the glicko2 rating threshold
3) Since ladder activity is so pivotal to Smogon Double's success, post a screenshot of past and present alts with 100+ games played - for every 100 games, you will be rewarded with 5 pts. Even if it's the same alt or different alts, you can be rewarded multiple times for every set of 100 matches. Also note that the timeframe will NOT apply to this, you can play 40 games in the first round, then 60 in the next, and still get 5 leaderboard points.

In order to participate, simply post in the following format:

Alt: Nollan
Current Ladder Standing: ??? ACRE, ???? +/- ?? Glicko2

Ladder Ranking: ?th Place (Only specify this if you are in the Top 10)

Note that you cannot use an alt that has already battled, and need to start with a new alt that has 0 rated battles. It is also recommended (not required) you use a different/new team each round.

Kingler12345- 5 points
100 Games x5

polop- 8 points
Ladder ranking x6
Reached 75 deviation x1
Wrote about team x1
Nollan- 8 points

Ladder ranking x8
Laga- 6 points
Ladder ranking x4
Reached 75 deviation x1
Wrote about team x1

Pocket- 5 points
Ladder ranking x4
Reached 75 deviation x1

Lasagne21- 2 points
Ladder ranking x2
Nollan- 2 points
Reached 75 deviation x1
Wrote about team x1
Shayhok- 1 point
Reached 75 deviation x1

cxinlee- 10 points
Ladder Ranking x10
BLOOD TOTEM- 5 points
Ladder Ranking x5
Kingler12345- 4 points
Ladder Ranking x4
Audiosurfer- 4 points
Ladder Ranking x4
Level 51- 4 points
Ladder Ranking x4
Nollan- 3 points
Ladder Ranking x3
kingofmars- 1 point
Ladder Ranking x1

Last edited:
Alright, Round 4 will start, the deadline is October 31st bar a ladder reset, good luck!

Participants

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No registration is necessary, BlankZero:

1) simply identify your alts when Nollan or Double Mods post a screenshot of the ladder at the end of the round for achievement #1
2) simply screenshot your alts that qualify for either achievement #2 or #3 and post it in this thread

Last edited:

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually registration is required to receive points for achievement #1 and #2, since you need to identify yourselves with a fresh alt. My bad for the brain fart.

Alt: PockeQuest

Ladder Ranking: ?th Place

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alt: nxg1ov4u
Current Ladder Standing: Acre 2175, GXE 95.1, Glicko2 2280 + or - 74
Ladder Ranking: 1st Place

edit: got on ladder
edit2: reached 74 dev and colonized 1st

click on pic for it to get larger, the ties were a result of a helping hand bug that froze the game ;_;

The team I used was a hail room team, but it didn't really look like it b/c most of my mons we're actually quite fast, but since the meta is so fast in general it didn't really matter. The only true issue that could possibly come up is if I go against an enemy Trick Room team, but I've got two Trick room users to revert dimensions before they get troublesome.

Abomasnow @ Occa Berry
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 2 Spd
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Abomasnow is obviously mandatory for any hail team (snover too weak and is lol faster then aboma), and its not that big of a hinderance either. Aside from setting up hail it also switches into politoed / rain teams and takes their hydro pumps with ease and of course freezes hurts everything with blizzard. I use this along with a jellicent to prevent rain teams from spamming boosted surfs / hydro pumps. The IVs minimize speed but retain Hidden Power Fire's power. I ended up choosing a pure special set over a more offensive set with wood hammer to retain bulk for tanking water-type moves. HP Fire > Ice Shard b/c landorus, dragonite, and mence really aren't an issue for the team, but metagross and scizor are really mean ;_;, so it helps prevent them from destroying me. Occa Berry is used over sitrus b/c I REALLY HATE HP FIRE CRESS.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SDef / 2 Spd
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Substitute

This is Heatran's survivalist set with a twist. Instead of using leftovers or a sitrus berry shuca berry is used to lure and stop non balloon heatran b/c heatran is a severe pain that prevents me from blizz spamming. Its got great synergy with aboma and in general is a nuisance to sun. The big threat it stops is volcaronara, because really, outside of trick room its also a huge pain. It in conjunction with Jellicent can generally stop it, but even with two checks it can still deal some damage. It somewhat can handle Metagross too, since thanks to shuca berry it lives EQ and can fire off a Heat Wave or EP to dent it, but even with that it STILL tends to be a problem. Substitute takes advantage of double protects, which ironically commonly happen when this thing is paired w/t hitmontop, also might let me take out heatran without using shuca berry.

Hitmontop (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 128 SDef / 64 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Detect
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch

Hitmontop is one of the best supporters in the tier thanks to fake out and intimidate. I abuse this too the fullest. I generally use this with Cresselia or Jellicent to help setup Trick Room, or I use this with Abomasnow to help it fire off a blizzard or something. I need a bulky spread because Hitmontop IS the reason why Tyranitar doesn't screw up this entire team, intimidate weakens everything and this thing scares it out with Close Combat. I can't have this thing dying early, and for that reason I also chose to Detect over another support move. Sucker Punch is there to pick off weakened stuff, namely latios, it can be substituted for a support move but the idea that suddenly all ghosts wall me frightens me away from that.

Cresselia (F) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Sassy Nature
- Rest
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Helping Hand

I still don't think I got the Cress spread or EVs or set right but w.e, Cress still does its job just fine most of the time FU Iron Ball Fling Tyranitar. It sets up Trick Room, Psychics pesky Hitmontop, and annoys everyone by being so hard to kill in general. Hitmontop pairs wonderfully w/t Cress in terms of synergy as it can tae Tyranitar's crunches to the face, using intimidate to neuter it, and it also makes a great Fake Out partner. Once in Trick Room the goal is to get Kyurem or Abomasnow in and use helping hand to power up blizzards to hit stuff hard. HP and special defense are maximized to better absorb deal with Latios and its Draco Meteor spamming frenzy, but again I'm not really sure if this spread is optimal. It gets the job done, that's for sure though.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Blizzard
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect

I have a hail team and this is my only abuser! Without it Abomasnow would be pointless. Dragon Claw > Outrage because I enjoy choosing who I want to hit lol, and locking self into Outrage in middle of TR is asking for trouble once it ends. The spread gives a ton of bulk and keeps Dragon Claw and fusion bolt's power. Blizzard, even without investment, is still a strong spread move. I actually tried a mix spread that maximized both offenses, but then I fell in love with the bulky spread when I saw it eat a Bullet Punch from scizor and OHKO back with Fusion Bolt 3>. As a last resort, it can tank a hit from metagross not named Meteor Mash and heavily dent it if needed. This also, along with Hitmontop, prevents chansey from walling the team for eternity and dents CM users (like Cress) that think they can setup w/t their bulk.

Jellicent @ Mental Herb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Taunt
- Recover

Probably the MVP of the most games I've had. Ridiculous bulk, Recover and Taunt, and a water-type 100% accurate Will-O-Wisp Scald is great. Difficult for both sun and rain to deal with. Taunt stomps over the TR setters of the slower TR teams. Physically bulky to best deal with Metagross and Scizor, since even with all the precautions I take they STILL annoy me, scald also complements this perfectly since it further debilitates these mons. Mental Herb probably isn't the best choice but it lets it sets up in the face of Tornadus (and its a huge nuisance with the defiant acrobatcs which prevents top from trying to stop it), who after TR can easily be killed by Blizz spam.

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alt: <laga> hue </laga>
Current Ladder Standing: 2096 ACRE, 2234+/- 98 Glicko2
Ladder Ranking: 5th Place

E: got on the ladder

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok yep hax is not kind to me, will edit this w/ a new nick some other time

Last edited:
Alt: The Last Nollan
Current Ladder Standing: 2233 ACRE, 2374 +/- 100 Glicko2
Ladder Ranking: 2nd Place

Last edited:

Pocket

Just a reminder - 3 more days until the current round ends. If you have an alt that meets achievement #2, make sure to post a screenshot in this thread within the deadline. Nollan (or the mods) would put up a screenshot of the Doubles Leaderboard on midnight of Aug. 31st so people can identify any of their alts in the top 10.

Laga

Forever Grande
not exactly sure how this works.
but as how I understand it, you have to post screenshots of your achievements before the conquest is done. So here goes.

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 216 SDef / 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 12 Def
Calm Nature
- Sunny Day
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand

Cresselia is a total bitch to face, and awesome to have on your side. As this is a goodstuff team, Cresselia is here to 1) Counter Rain and Sand with Sunny Day and 2) Counter Trick Room with Trick Room reversing. The former is extremely important, especially for Rain, as Heatran is pretty much dead weight against Rain teams unless you have Sun up. Standard EV spread to survive Dark Gem Crunch from TTar with the rest thrown in special bulk, since I have Intimidate support in Hitmontop. Sitrus berry for obvious reasons; could be lefties considering how god damn bulky it is, but Sitrus Berry works better against hard-hitting teams, which are, of course, the most threatening.

Hitmontop (M) @ Fighting Gem
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Wide Guard

Offensive Support Hitmontop is probably my favorite Pokemon to use in the entire metagame. This is probably Heatran's best freind, as Fake Out will let it set up a Substitute more easily, and Wide Guard will block incoming Surfs and Earthquake, which threaten Heatran. Intimidate suppot helps the entire team's survivability, and Feint helps for those cowardly Protecters. Close Combat with Fighting Gem is powerful as fuck when fully invested. Speed for outpacing Rotom-W and Cresselia (mostly Rotom-W; Cress ain't taking shit from Top).

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SAtk / 68 Spd
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

Substitute Heatran with all this support is just so good. Hitmontop, Cresselia, and Thundurus all support it through Fake Out, Helping Hand, Thunder Wave, Feint, Intimidate, Wide Guard, Sunny Day, Taunt, and Trick Room (both for reversing and against fast teams). If you get up a free Substitute whilst in Sun, you are going to be doing a lot of damage to both opposing Pokemon for sure. Earth Power for other Heatrans and Fire-types in general. USE THIS THING IT IS A BOSS.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Rotom-W is my main check to Rain teams, alongside Cresselia, and it does a damn good job. Synergizing awesomely with Heatran, especially since the two together completely devours Hail, Rain, and Sun together, it definitely provides soem juicy offensive support for it. Thunder Wave because fuck speedy teams, etc etc, completely standard Rotom-W blablabla.

Thundurus (M) @ Electric Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Offensive support Thundurus. This was once a bulky Thundurus, but I was lacking immediate speed; Garchomp was especially a problem. Not anymore. Anyways yeah, T-Wave and Taunt for disruption, BoltBeam offensive coverage for damage, support's entire team well with Speed Control, and deals with Rain (kinda).

Genesect @ Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVs: 228 Spd / 252 Atk / 28 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- ExtremeSpeed
- U-Turn
- Protect

This is a fun GeneSEcT to use. Everyone expects Special Life Orb or Scarf, especially after I have used Ice Beam. Nope. ExtremeSpeed provides awesome utility for the team, bypassing the Speed problems I face, and with an Attack boost grabbed, it is as powerful as LO Ekiller Arceus. U-Turn is for momentum and STAB super hard hitting stuff and what not. Ice Beam is great for Genies and Dragons, which are popular atm.

That is all :]
Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 196 SDef / 252 HP / 60 Def
Bold Nature
- Sunny Day
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand

Hitmontop (M) @ Fighting Gem
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Wide Guard

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SAtk / 68 Spd
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Thundurus (M) @ Electric Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Genesect @ Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVs: 228 Spd / 252 Atk / 28 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Bug Buzz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Iron Head
- Protect

Edit: there definitely was not any text here...

Last edited:
Edit: and yeah, a past alt named Lagalaga that has battled over 300 battles!
You've already been given points for those battles as I understand it. :s

Anyways, Round 1 is over, I'm going to wait for Pocket to update the leaderboard before I start Round 2, which may take awhile. Thank you to anyone who participated, and I hope you decide to participate next round!

Pocket

Sorry forgot to put up the top 10 for achievement 1:

Congrats to Nollan and polop for making the top 10 with their alts! Here are the point breakdown:

polop: 8 points
Nollan: 8 points
laga: 6 points

@Nollan, you may start round 2 (edit post #2 with the new deadline and registered alt)

Last edited:
Sorry forgot to put up the top 10 for achievement 1:

Congrats to Nollan and polop for making the top 10 with their alts! Here are the point breakdown:

polop: 8 points
Nollan: 8 points
laga: 6 points

@Nollan, you may start round 2 (edit post #2 with the new deadline and registered alt)
Alright, though just to clarify, you want the top 10 points to be based on a deadline screenshot? I was just under the impression it was wherever they peaked at any given time.

Pocket

Yes, a user must maintain their top 10 spot till the end of the deadline to receive full points for achievement #1. However, posting a screenshot of your peak may help you earn some points, like in Laga's case. Nollan, since your screenshot was added at the date of the deadline, I gave you points for peaking #2 (8 pts). I gave polop points for peaking #4 (6 pts) and Laga half the points for peaking #2 (4 pts), since he couldn't maintain it.

New round is up, guys, so register with a fresh alt!

Alt: PockeQuest
Current Ladder Standing: 2080 ACRE, 2186 +/- 75 Glicko2
Ladder Ranking: 10th Place

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
Alt: dubstoostronk

I am going to keep my goddamn ranking this time!!

Last edited:

Pocket

The round is about to end - post screenshots for achievement #2 and #3. Nollan, post a screenshot of the top 10 ladder for achievement #1 plz

I laddered with our CCAT :>

Ah, my apologies, with everything I have been working on, I completely overlooked this...

Anyways, my capture is p. late (12 hours x_x), so if anyone (Pocket) has a more accurate screenshot, they can PM me w/ it.

'Grats to Pocket for a 9th place finish, which gets him a 4 points for the leaderboard! Pocket also receives an extra 1 point for hitting 2000+ ACRE with 75 or less deviation.

The next round will start soon (later today more likely than not). Given that it's a busy time of year, I will also discuss extending the round deadlines to accommodate that.

Alright, Round 3 has started (check post #2 for deadline)!

There are some very important changes to discuss. First off, the round 3 deadline is extra long simply because it's a very busy time of year for most people (and also because I'm lazy and like easy-to-remember deadlines). Also, the Glicko2 line has risen; you now need 2075 Glicko2 w/ 75 or less deviation.

Last edited:

Pocket

If you're going to play on the Doubles Ladder, mine as well participate

Alt: PockeQuest 2
Current Ladder Standing: 1704 ACRE, 1814 +/- 79 Glicko2

Last edited:
Alt: Blank_Zero_Mk2 (3,4,etc)
Current Ladder Standing:
Acre, ???? +/- ?? Glicko2
Ladder Ranking: ??

Gonna play with some of the classic teams and see how they do on the current ladder, starting the Whitewater, then Rushing Through the Sand, and finally going to do Wreck it Ralph. The trick here is that after laddering, I'm going to attempt to do a quick rate of each team using my own changes.

Lgio

Last edited:
Alt: the gauntlet
Current Ladder Standing: 2073 ACRE, 2179 +/- 75 Glicko2
Ladder Ranking: 15th at sceenshot time, might go down

Nollan You have me listed as "Shaykok" in the 2nd post

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)